PDA

View Full Version : Where is your shop located? Has it helped or hurt you?

Dstosh
10-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I have been looking for commercial property, I came across a place that I may be interested in, but It isn't exactly on a main thoroughfair. The building is located in the industrial side of town, and the actual shop size is similar to what I have been in before(which has worked) Around 2500 Sf.

The yard/storage area is kinda small. Only about 4500 SF. It is fenced in on two sides, but I have plans of making storage bins out of concrete blocks to fence in that third side. Currently I dont use a ton of outside storage, but then again I dont really have the room to do so at my current shop that I rent.

My intention in the next 3-5 years is to open a retail division selling mulch and topsoil etc.

I also feel that if the shop was located on main highway, The building and equipment would do a lot of advertising on its own.

On the otherhand, the sales of mulch and topsoil would be mostly delivery ( I think so atleast)

I guess my question is, Is your shop on a main road with lots of traffic? Has it helped or hurt your business?

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Well for me i have 2 "shops" On is a landscape yard and about 5 min. away is my shop for mowers plows and other $hit

Main thin was when i had my mowers at my yard when people came to get mulch they could see all my stuff like mowers plows etc. If we left the garage up (which we did alot) That means they could come back and try to take them.

Thats why we luckly found a place down the street where no one comes in the lot unless its us!
Its fenced in and has ADT Security sensors on all the doors and gates
I can Get a text when ever the gate opens

Hope that makes sensE!

Dstosh
10-03-2010, 03:16 PM
Well for me i have 2 "shops" On is a landscape yard and about 5 min. away is my shop for mowers plows and other $hit

Main thin was when i had my mowers at my yard when people came to get mulch they could see all my stuff like mowers plows etc. If we left the garage up (which we did alot) That means they could come back and try to take them.

Thats why we luckly found a place down the street where no one comes in the lot unless its us!
Its fenced in and has ADT Security sensors on all the doors and gates
I can Get a text when ever the gate opens

Hope that makes sensE!

Are either of them in a high traffic area? Do you seem to get business from people driving by?

I had also thought about keeping the two places close but seperate.

Not sure-Kinda in a delima

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-03-2010, 08:12 PM
Yeah i get alot of traffic being that we are located right off a main highway and once people see it they stop in....
we get alot of people amazingly on sundays Coming from church,*or where ever they worship/dress up
Coming in for prices and such...

FYI: if your in the middle of no where your gonna have to pay more in advertising like in the yellow book and stuff...

bohiaa
10-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Acouple of items you may want to keep in mind.

it needs to be zoned properly. " this can Be a nightmare "

another, high traffic areas are costly.

make sure you are aware of the taxes too.

local county state and government.

all of these add up to a ton of issues.

best of luck

lawnangel1
10-06-2010, 08:30 PM
I have been wondering the same thing recently. Is it worth the extra $$$ to lease a shop on a main road so you get some free advertising???

PlantscapeSolutions
10-09-2010, 03:07 AM
The problem with getting into landscape supplies is you need a decent chunk of land. In your area your going to be burdened with paying for an expensive location that only operates for half the year. Targeting areas you want to work repeatedly with direct mail would be a whole lot cheaper.