PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Leaf Box construction

CTmower
10-03-2010, 09:27 PM
So I started to build my leaf box for the upcoming season today. Got about 80% done. All I have left to do is build the barn doors, paint it black, and thrown the mesh tarp on it. Walls are 5ft tall, I was thinking about going 6ft but it just looked way too big for my comfort. Ill have more pics once its done.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/keithtruck.jpg

bobcat48
10-03-2010, 09:53 PM
looks good..caint wait to see pics when its done.

CTmower
10-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Finished the top posts last night. Doors and paint in the next couple days!!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/photo.jpg

Kennedy Landscaping
10-04-2010, 11:50 AM
Dude that thing looks huge. Looks like you did a good job building it. Can't wait to see it done and being used.

mowerdude777
10-04-2010, 05:15 PM
That is one badass box, I hope to have something like that next fall, but for now I am stuck with a trailer and need to just throw sides on it

CTmower
10-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Just picked up the custom front mount I had made up for my Billy Goat loader. The pieces are slowly coming together and my leaf rig should be ready to go by the end of this weekend :clapping:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/truckmount.jpg

Raymond S.
10-05-2010, 02:23 PM
Just curious, what vac are you going to be using, meaning how many hp? Have you ever mounted a vac on the front before, I'm curious as to how well it will push. I have a 16hp Billygoat that I'm using but not sure if I want to mount it to the front vs. just mounting it to the back.

CTmower
10-05-2010, 02:59 PM
This is the first loader I have ever used and with the setup I currently have mounting it on the front made the most sense to me. Theres about 4 or 5 guys on this site that have them mounted on the front and they all never had to worry about clogging or there not being enough power. They all use 16-18hp loaders as well, I think once you step up to the 25+ hp units they just get to big to mount on the front. My trailer is just too packed full of gear and the tongue is too small to even think about mounting on there. Now I can disconnect my trailer and drive around to suck up leaves where ever I need to.

Kennedy Landscaping
10-05-2010, 03:34 PM
And you can pull right up to a pile if you need to. Not have to worry about backing up and all that stuff.

DLAWNS
10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
CT- It's looking very good. I can't wait to see the final product!

turfed
10-05-2010, 05:24 PM
CT....Gotta question. I'm in the process of building a box myself on a chevy 1 ton dump. I have been up and down on the internet looking for ideas on venting the box. How are you planning to vent it?

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 05:35 PM
the whole, top is open... seems like a pretty big "vent" to me. Unless I don't understand what you are meaning, please explain. Why would you need a vent anyway?

Raymond S.
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM
The top is only open because he isn't done yet. I'm sure he's planning on using a mesh tarp to cover the top and allow it to vent. Also, you don't want to try a leaf box without a vent, you'll soon find out how well you built it.
Posted via Mobile Device

xclusive
10-05-2010, 06:27 PM
CT....Gotta question. I'm in the process of building a box myself on a chevy 1 ton dump. I have been up and down on the internet looking for ideas on venting the box. How are you planning to vent it?

He said he is using a mesh canvas so I would assume that it will cover the top and allow for venting.

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 06:36 PM
The top is only open because he isn't done yet. I'm sure he's planning on using a mesh tarp to cover the top and allow it to vent. Also, you don't want to try a leaf box without a vent, you'll soon find out how well you built it.
Posted via Mobile Device

The top will be permanently open it will just have a mesh tarp on top (assuming). That's a vent if I ever saw one. I don't know anyone who builds a leaf box without using a mesh tarp on the top.

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 06:37 PM
He said he is using a mesh canvas so I would assume that it will cover the top and allow for venting.

that. :cool2:

CTmower
10-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I bought a 8x10 mesh tarp at Harbor Freight for around $20. Going to use bungey cords to secure it to the tops and sides. Once I get the barn doors built and paint it black, ill then put the tarp on.

2brothersyardcare
10-05-2010, 07:25 PM
were you at in ct?

CTmower
10-05-2010, 08:07 PM
North central CT.....Windsor Locks, Windsor, Suffield, Enfield, Somers, Ellington, East Windsor, South Windsor area....

CTmower
10-11-2010, 08:53 PM
Just finished painting the box today.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/truck2.jpg

Also built and installed the rear fold out doors. They fold all the way back flat against the sides of the box.
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/truck.jpg

Tomorrow Ill be installing the tarp on top and securing it with bungy cords all around. After that install the loader onto the mount and drill some holes in the mount to secure the two together. Lastly drilling a hole in the box to run the exhaust tube from the loader to the box!!

Puddle of Oil
10-11-2010, 09:21 PM
How do you take off the walls, looks kinda heavy? Can you take it off in sections?
Posted via Mobile Device

CTmower
10-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I'll let u know at the end of the season how it all comes off. Obv the two doors will come off easily as will the four posts up top. The two side walls are 104" long and 63" high so I'm sure I can pull them off but I'll def need some help
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
I like your box!
I really wish i still had my old shop or a easy way to get my box of my truck
If anyone has any suggestion please tell me!
(DOnt mean to hi jack your thread!)

I have my box on a old 1990 Z-71 pick up truck
Hold alot of leaves but we have to use the pallet and chain method to get em out which isnt too bad....

I want to put a little box on my isuzu dump truck
-then we could just dump the leaves out
Only thing is we usually do clean ups til the first snow fall...
And just the transition from fall to winter would be rough! We cant plow with a huge box on...

If i could figure out how to make it so i can lift the whole thing up with a pallet it wouldnt be too much of a problem!

Anyone know how i can WITH out takin the whole thing apart bc. storage isnt a problem got tons of outdoor space

M RASCOE&SONS
10-11-2010, 10:37 PM
looking real sharp :drinkup:

CTmower
10-29-2010, 03:20 PM
Finally finished this morning. Its amazing how many little tweeks are needed with such a simple setup. I was planning on having this setup complete last week. First big leaf job Saturday morning so she'll be put to use right away!!!
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f320/knads06/photo-1.jpg

bobcat48
10-29-2010, 03:56 PM
Real nice.i like it.have fun with it.

Watson's Landscaping
10-29-2010, 05:22 PM
Is that the new billy goat, 2010 year? And what kind of pipe did you use to run over your cab? Working on my leaf set up and need a extention to reach into the box, not as long as yours though.
Posted via Mobile Device

JCLawn and more
10-29-2010, 05:58 PM
should of ran that blower of your truck motor :D Now that would be awesome! Looks very nice though

CTmower
10-29-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes its a brand new 2010 Billy Goat 18hp Electric start. I used a 6" plastic drainage pipe which had almost a 7" butt end on it that fit almost perfectly onto the exhaust of my loader. I had to make 2 slits in the pipe to make it a little easier to take on and off the loader when dumping. Setup seems to be working great so far.

LawnScapers of Dayton
10-29-2010, 07:15 PM
my setup is very similar accept I faced the intake toward the passenger side for curb side pick up. I also bought a 12' piece of hose.......2 extra feet make a big difference....nice rig....

AustinLawnscape
12-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Your set up looks great! I'm considering moving mine to the front of the truck. Question, the loader mounted in the side view picture above, appears to be mounted higher than the receiver hitch mount pictured earlier in the thread? Did you use a different mount for the loader? - Thanks - Ed

CTmower
12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
The mount is located between the two tow hooks. I guess it just looks higher with the loader mounted on it. Two things I'll be changing for next year will be removing the barn door style doors and replacing them with a solid rear door with the hinges mounted on the top. The angle of the dump and weight of the leaves will open it automatically when dumping. The barn door style bulged out way too far for my liking and made it difficullt to open at times. Second change will be a larger exhaust pipe. Currently I'm running a 6" pipe coming from the end of the loader and I've found it clogged far too much. The exhaust on the Billy goat is 7" so I think using a smaller 6" exhaust pipe is causing the clogging. I'll be using a larger 8" pipe next year. Other then those two things I have no complaints and really like the front end setup. Now I just need to decide whether to keep the box on all winter long and use this setup in the spring or break it down and only use it for the fall.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer_Z
12-05-2010, 02:32 PM
The mount is located between the two tow hooks. I guess it just looks higher with the loader mounted on it. Two things I'll be changing for next year will be removing the barn door style doors and replacing them with a solid rear door with the hinges mounted on the top. The angle of the dump and weight of the leaves will open it automatically when dumping. The barn door style bulged out way too far for my liking and made it difficullt to open at times. Second change will be a larger exhaust pipe. Currently I'm running a 6" pipe coming from the end of the loader and I've found it clogged far too much. The exhaust on the Billy goat is 7" so I think using a smaller 6" exhaust pipe is causing the clogging. I'll be using a larger 8" pipe next year. Other then those two things I have no complaints and really like the front end setup. Now I just need to decide whether to keep the box on all winter long and use this setup in the spring or break it down and only use it for the fall.
Posted via Mobile DeviceCT, First let me say awesome set up! 2nd, you might want to switch to a solid piece of PVC, not just up the size from 6" to 8". What you have now is as you said drainage pipe, the "ribs" are what's causing your clogging issues. With a regular piece of PVC you won't have anything for the debris to catch on.

CTmower
12-05-2010, 02:39 PM
The pipe is actually smooth on the inside. I had the choice between the rough as u stated and smooth. It's definitely the smaller diameter causing the problem.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lazer_Z
12-05-2010, 03:01 PM
The pipe is actually smooth on the inside. I had the choice between the rough as u stated and smooth. It's definitely the smaller diameter causing the problem.
Posted via Mobile DeviceAh, OK, my mistake I thought by the look of it it was ribbed on the inside as well. Then upping the diameter of the pipe will be a huge improvement for you.

STIHL GUY
12-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Just curious, what vac are you going to be using, meaning how many hp? Have you ever mounted a vac on the front before, I'm curious as to how well it will push. I have a 16hp Billygoat that I'm using but not sure if I want to mount it to the front vs. just mounting it to the back.

i mounted my 16HP giant vac on the front this year and it worked a lot better because i was able to tow my trailer as well

newjerseylandscaping
12-10-2010, 03:52 AM
like it, are you putting doors on the upper back?