PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing for security?

PLS-Tx
10-04-2010, 02:00 AM
I have been hearing of a lot of equipment being stolen locally. I can think of two guys that had their trailer and ztr stolen one of them just a few weeks ago A dealer had a new saw stolen one day and a new ztr the next, both in daylight while they were open. Also, we were out of town last weekend, when we came home it looked as if some thug had tried to pry the drivers door open on one of our trucks that was parked on our driveway, so it has me wondering it I need to step it up a bit.

One thing I'm thinking about is security cameras. We keep our equipment in an enclosed trailer and sometimes we park it under my carport and sometimes at our shop that is in another town. So, I'm thinking about putting cameras at the house and in the shop. I don't know much about them but I'm guessing I can monitor them somehow with the pc??? I did see that you can get wireless ones.

I did go to the auto parts store today and bought a Club (goes on the steering wheel $20) for the truck that has the enclosed hooked up to it most of the time. Also, I picked up a locking fuel cap for the Cummins, not so much to keep someone from stealing fuel but more to keep some kid from putting something in the tank that could do a lot of damage.

So what have you done to keep some low life from walking off with what you make your living with.

ajslands
10-04-2010, 02:12 AM
I don't use cameras but I will be getting them, how ever is use those tough cut locks and those motion lights and then I park in front of my railed and it's enclosed and the side door is blocked by a tree. Also when I go on vacation, I'll take the keys of of my equipment and I don't other things to prevent people from taking my quipment, but I will not mention them on the Internet.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
10-04-2010, 02:14 AM
I have about 6 concrete blocks buried in the ground that I have a heavy chain bolted to, and a huge commercial lock on it that gets put around the trailer tongue. This is right on the side of my house so between that and a few guns that's it for now. All my stuff is insured and that is a must!

MJB
10-04-2010, 02:22 AM
Fenced in acre with automated security gate, only 1 way in and 1 way out, and I live on the property. I used to use motion lights, and considered cameras but the threat is gone now. I figure if you don't make it easy on them they will look for an easier target..

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 02:24 AM
Well I keep all the equipment on my trailer locked up and in the garage. I have a lock for the trimmers/hedge trimmer need one for the blower and I have a great lock for the trailer tongue. It is designed so the hook is not exposed at all so you cannot cut through it with those big lock cutters. I feel pretty secure with it all in the garage. I nose my truck up so if they were to steal the mower they would HAVE to also steal the truck too but hopefully I would hear the exhaust. My truck has its own alarm system that kills the starter when engaged but I feel like they could get around it if they really wanted to.

What I focus on is where my equipment is when I am out at a lawn. My biggest priority is keeping my exmark unstealable. I cut the entire lawn first and I leave the mower out back, running low idle because it's not good to kick the idle right down and shut it off after it's been running full blast for 30 minutes. So anyway, then I go unlock the trimmers, grab the one I need, lock them back. (Blower is the only thing I need to buy a lock for.) Anyone could grab it in 2 seconds off it's rack :/ So then I go trim, then I finish that lock all the trimmers back up and once I grab the blower off I know I'm good (since it's the only thing not locked) I blow the front then go to the back and ride the mower out with the blower on my back load it all up and like I said my hitch has it's own lock, then the trailer has that "cut proof" lock so I feel pretty good about the trailer and trimmers atleast. When I take my handheld echo trimmers I just put them on the backseat of the truck and ALWAYS lock the truck up while I'm cutting but don't set the alarm as it goes off If I forget to unlock before riding the mower up into the trailer. Once I get the blower lock the only things that someone could just grab and go with are my rakes, cooler, and small toolbox. Got to get that blower lock asap. I live in Memphis so I'm surrounded by criminals all the time. You may be okay 364 days of the year but all it takes is that one day that 15-20 minutes you slip up and your mower is halfway across the mississippi!

As far as crooks and overnight storage I would turn to your closest storing units. Once I get enough equipment, I'll gladly pay their monthly rate to sleep well at night.

PLS-Tx
10-04-2010, 02:27 AM
We have our stuff insured and we have motion lights. That reminds me, I think I'm going to get a couple of solar powered motion lights, one for the other side of the carport and one for the back yard.

I have a florescent light, with two 4' bulbs, in the front and back of the carport also.

Oh, I almost forgot about the two guard dogs, that would be our little chihuahuas that sleep with us. :laugh::laugh:

Southern Pride
10-04-2010, 02:31 AM
Just thought about my old boss. Lucky for him lived in the "pleasantville" area outside of Memphis but his driveway just had a swinging gate and for a garage it was just an open garage that led to his screened in back patio. We would back the trailer right up behind that gate and pull off his gravely ZTR and gravely walk behind brand new and pulled them into the open garage with the keys in all night every night. We literally laid the blowers and trimmers on the floor. His only security was a gate and 2 bricks chalking the tires on the trailer. If any criminals ever ever even slightly had an idea of his setup he would be cleaned out so quick it wouldn't even be funny. He was an middle aged obese alcoholic though. His only concern was me and my friend getting all of his accounts done so he could make a buck sitting on his ace all day getting drunk. He was such a lazy POS he never sharpened blades or did oil changes, plugged tires and surely didn't care about security. I remember the one time he sharpened the blades and changed oil in 2 years time he paid me to come over and do it on a saturday. Sorry for the rant. Bitter memories of that guy. I'll never get like that, it was pathetic.

Richard Martin
10-04-2010, 05:33 AM
I don't go through anything overboard. I lock all of the trimmers and blower up on their racks. Then I take the keys out of the mowers. Since most mowers use the same POS key I installed a second real key switch on the Dixie. It's not going to stop a determined thief but it will stop someone from just driving by and making a few quick bucks at the pawn shop. I've also made sure all of my equipment is registered with the manufacturer and wrote down every serial number I could find on my equipment including serial numbers of engines. To top it off I have replacement insurance on all equipment.

SouthSide Cutter
10-04-2010, 07:36 AM
Not had any trouble yet. Have everything where it locks on trailer. And everything stays in locked shop behind house when not being used. One local kept getting his gas stolen why he was mowing, they just took the gas not the jug. So he put water in it, some kid on a scooter was gasing up everytime he cut that property.

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 10:27 AM
Put Lojack on the trailer or the mowers if you are worried about them being stolen, that way you will be able to recover the equipment if it is stolen. There are security cameras that you can get that you can access and view via the internet. Also, invest in some heavy duty locks for your trailer. There are also the cables that go through the wheels on dual axle trailers so it will prevent the wheels from actually moving.

Don't just rely on one thing for security, get multiple levels of security to help. The motion lights and security cameras are great theft deterants, the locks and cables are great for theft prevention. And Lojack is great for theft recovery.

demhustler
10-04-2010, 10:49 AM
I have been hearing of a lot of equipment being stolen locally. I can think of two guys that had their trailer and ztr stolen one of them just a few weeks ago A dealer had a new saw stolen one day and a new ztr the next, both in daylight while they were open. Also, we were out of town last weekend, when we came home it looked as if some thug had tried to pry the drivers door open on one of our trucks that was parked on our driveway, so it has me wondering it I need to step it up a bit.

One thing I'm thinking about is security cameras. We keep our equipment in an enclosed trailer and sometimes we park it under my carport and sometimes at our shop that is in another town. So, I'm thinking about putting cameras at the house and in the shop. I don't know much about them but I'm guessing I can monitor them somehow with the pc??? I did see that you can get wireless ones.

I did go to the auto parts store today and bought a Club (goes on the steering wheel $20) for the truck that has the enclosed hooked up to it most of the time. Also, I picked up a locking fuel cap for the Cummins, not so much to keep someone from stealing fuel but more to keep some kid from putting something in the tank that could do a lot of damage.

So what have you done to keep some low life from walking off with what you make your living with.

along with other levels of security, i think -cameras -is a good idea; in shop as wel as on the site; little usb memory stick (5-8gb) holds 2-3 hour dvd quality movie - 25(30) frames per second; with 2-3 frames per sec - 20(30) hours of high resolution images (CD or video-quality movie (images) - 10 times more), so it is possible to have small portable camera recording rear view of your track 24/7; and sometimes i would really kill to know whats been going on.... : ))))))

gasracer
10-04-2010, 11:45 AM
I put everything such as gas and tools in my landscape cage with locks at both ends. Each piece of equipment has a chain through it on the trailer.I even have a lock on the gate at all times when it is closed. Receiver locks are also a must.If I have my trailer dropped at my house I have it log chained to a tree along with a pin lock on the hitch and a "Gorilla lock" over the ball hole.
During the Winter everything is stored in a secure area with a alarm system.
I have been thinking of "LoJack" for some time.
The only thing that has happened to me so far was someone when through my truck sitting in my driveway one night. I have talked to several of our neighbors and they have had it to happen also.

MOturkey
10-04-2010, 12:35 PM
I live in a relatively low crime area. You notice I didn't say "crime free" though. I always keep my equipment in my garage overnight, which is right next to our house. I read somewhere years ago that the cheapest security is lighting, so I have a dusk-to-dawn on the front of the garage. I also leave a vehicle parked directly in front of the garage door overnights. It doesn't mean the stuff is unstealable, but with nosey neighbors and our barking dog, it would be pretty tough getting anything worthwhile without a lot of risk to the thief.

On the job, I don't worry a lot, but I do keep my extra trimmers, etc, that I'm not using locked up, and, if I'm going to be out of the sight of the trailer for an extended period, I'll lock my blower, which I carry in the pickup bed, with a bicycle cable. Nothing will stop a determined thief, but anything cam reduce the chance of a "snatch and grab" type of theft.

Another thing I might mention, which I don't see a lot of on this site, but have on others, is mentioning that you are going to be gone on vacation, to the expo, etc. Anyone can read these forums, and figure while you are out of town, your eqipment would be an easy target.

Keith
10-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Well, since having a my truck, trailer, a Super Z and a bunch of small equipment stolen last year, I have been a little more careful.

I chain the trailer wheel to the trailer itself. They could drag it to the street without thinking too much of it, but it would make one heck of a sound once it got to the asphalt.

I disconnect the trailer pigtail so if they did manage to cut the chain or lock, they would be driving with no lights.

I take all the small stuff off the truck and trailer.

I put the mower tank selector on "off." I engage the pto switch and move one of the drive levers in just slightly so the safety is engaged. And of course, remove the key.

That is about it for right now. I am going to get a security camera soon. I also want some kind of tracking device to put on the truck and mower. Not a lojack. I want to find it myself, if it should be taken.

demhustler
10-04-2010, 01:34 PM
Well, since having a my truck, trailer, a Super Z and a bunch of small equipment stolen last year, I have been a little more careful.

I chain the trailer wheel to the trailer itself. They could drag it to the street without thinking too much of it, but it would make one heck of a sound once it got to the asphalt.

I disconnect the trailer pigtail so if they did manage to cut the chain or lock, they would be driving with no lights.

I take all the small stuff off the truck and trailer.

I put the mower tank selector on "off." I engage the pto switch and move one of the drive levers in just slightly so the safety is engaged. And of course, remove the key.

That is about it for right now. I am going to get a security camera soon. I also want some kind of tracking device to put on the truck and mower. Not a lojack. I want to find it myself, if it should be taken .
Thumbs Up

punt66
10-04-2010, 01:52 PM
My security system. BUSTER.

http://www.lawnsite.com/picture.php?albumid=576&pictureid=3829

PLS-Tx
10-04-2010, 02:38 PM

That should do it. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Groomer
10-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I learned my lesson 2 weeks ago, had a 48" exmark hydro for sale in the front yard, next morning it was gone, even took the for sale sign! This on a busy street right under a streetlight. I've sold mowers out front for years, but the world's a different place now.

madisonpressurewashing
10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Got two American Dingos. You step in the yard, they go off!

stan the man
10-05-2010, 06:20 PM
all equipment and trailer is in my barn with all the farm animals. you walk in at day or night animals goes wild. i will hear it.i have 2 goats just like dogs they drop the head watch out. i have bend over and ram right on the ass if that don't work then out comes the guns try see what happens .

MR-G
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
We lost a lot of equipment until we did this...and have not lost one thing so far since...about 3 yrs. now...wireless driveway alarms in lot 3 form large triangle (motion sensors) tied to a buzzer in house...also dials out to my cell phone if tripped.....250.00 for system.....4 color night vision cameras (not wireless) wireless interfered with the microwave...and my neighbors hamm radio...lol...cams. are going into a 4ch dvr recorder 24hr recording...dvr also is connected to the web...you can watch cams. live...even from a cell phone..thats the yard....now all trucks (3) have alarms, gps tracking/ with ignition kill..all riding mowers also have gps as well....enclosed trailers have car alarms running off deep cycle battery / small solar panel on roof keeps a charge...each trailer also has a hidden motion sensor hunting camera (still picts) of the inside of the trailer..this is mainly for on the job ripoffs...we have spent some money yes....but nowhere near what new equipment costs...and i sleep well....maybe a bit overkill..but once i got into it i started having fun with it....lol......:usflag:

Groomer
10-05-2010, 07:10 PM
I'm loving stan the man's post! Thats toooo funny..

Drew Gemma
10-05-2010, 11:27 PM
cameras, lights, guns, and dogs. I also have enough room out here to dispose of the body. Nobody ever misses a thief.

Chilehead
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM

Right on!:laugh: Actually, there is a land clearing/grading company about a mile from my house that actually has a sign posted on all sides of their perimeter gate that reads, "WARNING: Guard dogs on duty 24 hours. NO TRESPASSING."
The dogs (I can see them walking around every so often) are 2 Doberman Pinschers and a Rottweiler. I got bit by a pit bull the other day, and can testify that it's not fun.

rain man
10-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Being aware, alert, insured, chained, locked, and a couple of other things I won't name.

BadRancher
10-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Guns and pitbulls!!!

I unload my trailor and store everything in the garage.

The LawnRanger
10-06-2010, 10:00 PM
All my trucks and equipment go inside my shop behind the house has a ADT security and fire system with CCTV with video record motion detectors plus I let my 2 trained German Shepards loose inside at night. Luckily I live in a county that doesnt tolerate thefts one call to sheriffs dept. and they tell you to shoot em call them back and let them know how many body bags to bring.

SouthSide Cutter
10-06-2010, 10:16 PM
I just said the other day we dont have to much of this. And yesterday my son and I are deer hunting and he gets a call from his buddy. Was going to work and some one was trying to get into a car across the street. He yells at them they take off. He doesnt think to much of it untill he gets into his truck no bow and gun gone window broke. He then gives chase catches them calls 911 while doing this. Gives them the plate number. Wis plate 2010 Toyota STOLEN. He cuts them off in a 90 degree turn and he sees a red dot on window boom they shoot at him twice. Well anyway they lock down the grade school out by us and a manhunt is on. Just goes to show ya they will steal anything and at anytime. And this really sucks because if they want it bad enough they will try to get it all you can do is try to detour them.

mowerbrad
10-06-2010, 10:35 PM
I always say I live in community that has minimal crime and is very safe. However about a month or so ago we had some attempted burgleries in my neighborhood. Just across the street from my house, two of my neighbors had some people try and break in to their houses. It was the middle of the night and one of my neighbors heard his dog barking and then started to hear some foot steps on his front porch. He came downstairs to see two or three people walking around on his porch. He runs out the door and they run down the street, he chased them down the street but eventually lost them.

This isn't the first time that stuff like this has happened either. Last winter there were people breaking into garages in my neighborhood. The would walk through the snow and go to everyone's access doors to their garages. Any access door that was open had stuff stolen from the garage. You could see the people's footprints in the snow too.

Security should never be taken lightly, even in relatively safe communities. Crime can happen anywhere.

punt66
10-07-2010, 07:55 AM
I just said the other day we dont have to much of this. And yesterday my son and I are deer hunting and he gets a call from his buddy. Was going to work and some one was trying to get into a car across the street. He yells at them they take off. He doesnt think to much of it untill he gets into his truck no bow and gun gone window broke. He then gives chase catches them calls 911 while doing this. Gives them the plate number. Wis plate 2010 Toyota STOLEN. He cuts them off in a 90 degree turn and he sees a red dot on window boom they shoot at him twice. Well anyway they lock down the grade school out by us and a manhunt is on. Just goes to show ya they will steal anything and at anytime. And this really sucks because if they want it bad enough they will try to get it all you can do is try to detour them.

so he is willing to get killed over STUFF. :hammerhead:

Richard Martin
10-07-2010, 04:36 PM

Apparently. Here's the story from their local newspaper...

http://washtimesherald.com/local/x1305239135/2-taken-into-custody-in-shooting-incident-charges-pending

SouthSide Cutter
10-07-2010, 09:45 PM

Well when I was young we knew who not to mesh with because they just might point a shotgun your way, And nobody ever meshed with them. I would probably have done the same thing and if it was when we were going duck hunting or deer hunting it would be a shoot out at the OK corral. Every now and then the punks steal or try to steal from the wrong person. My son and I thought they might be local because of going into the bottoms like they did.

Richard Martin
10-08-2010, 07:03 AM
Well when I was young we knew who not to mesh with because they just might point a shotgun your way, And nobody ever meshed with them.

MESS and MESSED

georgiagrass
10-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Anybody have experience with LoJack?

2brothersyardcare
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/pp30/bakerc8/n1512727052_30198516_9576.jpg thats mine

PLS-Tx
10-08-2010, 11:59 PM
MESS and MESSED

Thank you.

The LawnRanger
10-09-2010, 12:08 AM
2 to the chest and one to the head last time they steal from anyone

PLS-Tx
10-09-2010, 01:04 AM
2 to the chest and one to the head last time they steal from anyone

That's great if you catch them in the act but what if you don't?

SouthSide Cutter
10-09-2010, 10:27 AM
Dont know about security just hope I get everything spelled right and all my t's crossed and i's dotted. Whew!!

Richard Martin
10-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Dont know about security just hope I get everything spelled right and all my t's crossed and i's dotted. Whew!!

There was no insult or other harshness intended. Just trying to help a brother out. *trucewhiteflag*

SouthSide Cutter
10-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Had to type something. To dry to mow and overseed. To hot to hunt. All mowers are serviced and ready to go. Cars and trucks are cleaned. Not enough leaves to worry about yet. Cut five trees out of the yard and got them cleaned up. Got the kitchen tore up waiting for new counter tops and new cabinet. And I dont like watching TV. Got nothing else to do.

The LawnRanger
10-09-2010, 08:15 PM
That's great if you catch them in the act but what if you don't?
Well if you cant catch them in the act hope the next guy will

topsites
10-09-2010, 09:40 PM
We shoot them.
Dead.

Bury them in the back yard.

Nobody ever reports that stuff and even if they do the cops don't do nothing.

rauder01
10-09-2010, 11:08 PM
MY best security is the two guys I hired to protect my stuff by the name of smith & wesson,and buster the pitbull if you want it that bad go for it.

h2oskier
10-10-2010, 12:23 AM
Put the dog in the trailer,lock it up and dont feed him. works every time:):)

Kennedy Landscaping
10-10-2010, 12:24 AM

Sorry but I couldn't help but think Dukes Of Hazzard when I read this. I love that show lol

On another note, I agree, I often feel I should do more to secure my stuff. I like the idea's of putting the fuel switch on off and engaging the pto and other safety's. Something I've been thinking pretty seriously about is adding a hidden kill switch on the mowers.

Chilehead
10-10-2010, 03:30 PM
Put the dog in the trailer,lock it up and dont feed him. works every time:):)

***Nice!***:laugh::laugh:

elitecuts
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Have you guys heard anything about tracking devices for equipment? It seems like a plausible option and and I'm sure you could track it on your phone or computer.

Blades Lawn Maintenance
07-04-2013, 12:01 PM
I lock the enclosed trailer every time leave out of site.

herler
07-06-2013, 10:31 AM
www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR4.TRC1.A0.Xsecurity+yard+signs.TRS0&_nkw=security+yard+signs

weeze
07-06-2013, 02:54 PM
i just read in the paper the other day a guy was checking out his empty rental house. a guy broke in while he was there. he posed no threat but the owner shot him anyways. perfectly legal in the state of alabama. noone has any right to break into anyone else's house for any reason. even if they aren't attacking you or posing a threat you can still shoot and kill them. i guess that guy will never break into another house again. sadly killing them is the only sure way to stop them. criminals go to jail and then get out and just do the same thing over and over again. they hardly ever learn. it's weird. you'd think they would just see that it's wrong and stop doing it.

CurbAppealKS
07-06-2013, 04:17 PM
i just read in the paper the other day a guy was checking out his empty rental house. a guy broke in while he was there. he posed no threat but the owner shot him anyways. perfectly legal in the state of alabama. noone has any right to break into anyone else's house for any reason. even if they aren't attacking you or posing a threat you can still shoot and kill them. i guess that guy will never break into another house again. sadly killing them is the only sure way to stop them. criminals go to jail and then get out and just do the same thing over and over again. they hardly ever learn. it's weird. you'd think they would just see that it's wrong and stop doing it.

I feel like this outlook should be adopted by every state. After all if they are breaking in stealing something that isn't theirs, they should pay. If the owner is a good enough shot or he has enough ammo to put down the threat then so be it. Unfortunately our country is commandeered by liberal jack offs that feel the urge to promote material equality.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
07-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I like to use concealed "kill" switches. Very inexpensive, quick and easy. I also have a dog with a loud bark and a 9mm with a 30 round clip. Of course I'd never shoot at anyone unless they were coming into my house.

When a drunk stranger came in my house (at 2 AM) about 30 years ago I realized a man needs to do about 30 minutes of thinking in 2 seconds when pressing the end of a pistol barrel to a man's forehead. My wife and oldest son (who was only 6 mo's old at the time) were in the house with me. Time slowed to a crawl while this was happening. Scary to think how close I came to pulling the trigger.

weeze
07-06-2013, 08:01 PM
yeah shooting someone and killing them has got to be something that will haunt you the rest of your life. even if they do deserve it sometimes. it's a tough call. forgiveness is a beautiful thing. more beautiful than killing someone.

CurbAppealKS
07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
yeah shooting someone and killing them has got to be something that will haunt you the rest of your life. even if they do deserve it sometimes. it's a tough call. forgiveness is a beautiful thing. more beautiful than killing someone.

Forgiveness can only be granted so many times. How many criminals have been through the judicial system before. I would say a large percentage of them. Put down the worthless in society, the only thing that can happen is positive. Imagine if you eliminated all of the welfare dependent people in the country, how great that would be.
Posted via Mobile Device

StanWilhite
07-07-2013, 02:15 AM

I think the law states that you actually have to be in fear of someone threatening your (or your family's) life before the use of deadly force is legal (even in your own home).

pseudosun
07-07-2013, 03:23 AM
right now, my security is a .22 bolt action. I don't feel that great about it. There's really nothing substantial to steal in here. I don't even have a flat screen tv. My music equipment isn't really expensive, but it means alot to me. I think i'd try to escape first. If that's not an option, i can atleast get one shot off. I'm paranoid about letting people in my house, or letting anyone know what's in it. I think alot of burglaries/robberies are done by robbers with a knowledge of what they know is there.

I've had a weedeater stolen at winn dixie. They must have been on bikes and carrying bolt cutters. I think the guy who stole my snapper was the same guy who i bought it from. The sucker is in jail now for killing his brother. http://theadvocate.com/news/police/6259558-123/br-man-arrested-in-fatal ... This husband and wife team who took care of a few sonic's had their truck, trailer and most of their equipement stolen in broad daylight while working at one the sonic's. They left the keys in. I'd be sick.

MOturkey
07-07-2013, 10:29 AM
right now, my security is a .22 bolt action. I don't feel that great about it. There's really nothing substantial to steal in here. I don't even have a flat screen tv. My music equipment isn't really expensive, but it means alot to me. I think i'd try to escape first. If that's not an option, i can atleast get one shot off. I'm paranoid about letting people in my house, or letting anyone know what's in it. I think alot of burglaries/robberies are done by robbers with a knowledge of what they know is there.

I've had a weedeater stolen at winn dixie. They must have been on bikes and carrying bolt cutters. I think the guy who stole my snapper was the same guy who i bought it from. The sucker is in jail now for killing his brother. http://theadvocate.com/news/police/6259558-123/br-man-arrested-in-fatal ... This husband and wife team who took care of a few sonic's had their truck, trailer and most of their equipement stolen in broad daylight while working at one the sonic's. They left the keys in. I'd be sick.

No offense, but all you are likely to do with a .22, especially a bolt action, is to piss an intruder off. Sure they will kill, but they aren't good for stopping. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but if I do, I don't want them to continue coming for me after the first shot.

MOturkey
07-07-2013, 10:38 AM
I think experts in crime will say that most property thefts are crimes of opportunity. Guy drives by, sees a trailer parked in front of a house, owner is mowing in the back, so his buddy jumps out and grabs what is loose.

Given time, a determined thief will steal no matter how many obstacles are put in his way, but making it difficult for them will stop a large percentage of the crimes. When possible, park where your rig is visible from most of the property. If you can pull into a drive, rather than park on the street, do so. Most crooks aren't going to take the chance of having to make a run for it from the far end of a driveway. Be sure you lock equipment not in use, etc. You can't totally prevent the possibility of theft, but you can certainly decrease your risk with just a few common sense practices.

Stars & Stripes Landscaping
07-07-2013, 11:10 AM
I have a garage, but no room. Can anyone give me some information on way to lock up a trailer from being stolen, and lock the equipment to the trailer?

I was thinking of putting a eye bolt deep into the concreate footing of my garage then chain up the trailer...also put a ball lock on the hitch point....any suggestions?

Chilehead
07-07-2013, 11:22 AM
No offense, but all you are likely to do with a .22, especially a bolt action, is to piss an intruder off. Sure they will kill, but they aren't good for stopping. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, but if I do, I don't want them to continue coming for me after the first shot.

Will drop them cold if you nail the head.

Richard Martin
07-07-2013, 12:08 PM
I have a garage, but no room. Can anyone give me some information on way to lock up a trailer from being stolen, and lock the equipment to the trailer?

I was thinking of putting a eye bolt deep into the concreate footing of my garage then chain up the trailer...also put a ball lock on the hitch point....any suggestions?

I recommend that you just do the best you can without going to extremes. You should also have your equipment covered by a replacement insurance policy. You can chain the trailer all you want. 30 to 60 seconds with an acetylene torch will make quick work of any chain.

orangemower
07-07-2013, 12:42 PM
I recommend that you just do the best you can without going to extremes. You should also have your equipment covered by a replacement insurance policy. You can chain the trailer all you want. 30 to 60 seconds with an acetylene torch will make quick work of any chain.

I keep one of those in my back pocket! :laugh:

Richard Martin
07-07-2013, 01:15 PM
I keep one of those in my back pocket! :laugh:

Believe it or not, not all acetylene torch bottles are huge. I have an acetylene bottle here that is only 22" tall. It and the oxygen bottle are extremely portable.

camobrute
07-07-2013, 01:35 PM
I agree with Richard, chains may deter, but they certainly will not stop something from getting stolen. Any decent lock cutter from Home Depot or lowes can easily cut thru the lock on your chain.

I like putting a security ball on the trailer. Yes they can take a big sledge hammer and knock it out, but hopefully I will at least hear the noise.

A lot of people around here like wrapping a chain aound the inside of the rim so that the thief may not see it until he tries to leave and drags the wheels

weeze
07-07-2013, 05:53 PM
I think the law states that you actually have to be in fear of someone threatening your (or your family's) life before the use of deadly force is legal (even in your own home).

nah they changed it here in 2007 or something. they said so in the paper. up until then it was only allowed if you felt a threat for your life. now it doesn't matter. you can just shoot them.

weeze
07-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Forgiveness can only be granted so many times. How many criminals have been through the judicial system before. I would say a large percentage of them. Put down the worthless in society, the only thing that can happen is positive. Imagine if you eliminated all of the welfare dependent people in the country, how great that would be.
Posted via Mobile Device

yeah that's a sad truth about the reality of life. i say as long as you aren't protecting yourself in self defense then don't shoot them. usually if they are just stealing something they will run if they see you or something. if they are coming towards you with a knife or aiming a gun at you then blow them away.

Richard Martin
07-07-2013, 06:33 PM
I like putting a security ball on the trailer. Yes they can take a big sledge hammer and knock it out, but hopefully I will at least hear the noise.

Those are pointless and I'll tell you why. If someone wants to steal your trailer all they have to do is hook the chains up so it holds the tongue of the trailer off of the ground and go.

It is true that most thefts are crimes of opportunity. But when the pro thieves (yes, they practice this crap) put their eye on your equipment, your equipment is as good as gone before you have a clue. I've posted here at Lawnsite on at least 2 occasions where they have busted thieves with a lot of stolen equipment in my area.

I was reading about a theft ring in Florida that got 77 trailers. That is a whole lot of practice and they know exactly how to haul your stuff off.

Like I said above, do the best you can without going to extremes and insure your equipment. It has also been mentioned before that you can Lo-Jack your truck, trailer and larger equipment.

StanWilhite
07-07-2013, 06:46 PM
nah they changed it here in 2007 or something. they said so in the paper. up until then it was only allowed if you felt a threat for your life. now it doesn't matter. you can just shoot them.

Oh, OK, didn't know that. The last time I had a discussion about that was about 15 years ago with one of my best friends (and neighbor) who was (he's now deceased) a circuit judge.

Dvasqz6
07-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Here's my security for the last 4yrs. Knock on wood I have had no issues so far. I get a kick out off people's reaction when they see Steve thinking he is real, once a police officer pulled on his side because he had no seat belt on and felt stupid and ask why I had it there? I told him he keeps an eyes on things for me while working. I had people take pictures with their phones particularly the females. Steve is there 24/7 each day waiting for the next day's work he never complains nor ask for days off with pay. LOL