PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of rubber mulch?

olebrooklawn
10-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Is it true rubber mulch will last 5 years? Do alot of people use it? I know the price is high but i think people will buy it cause of the longer life. Please give feed back. whats the pros and cons of rubber mulch
thanks

fl-landscapes
10-04-2010, 05:35 PM
most rubber mulch suppliers will give a guarantee on the longevity of the product, and it lasts very long. This was a quick google search and they guarantee 10 years on the color http://www.playsaferubbermulch.com/

cons are they are expensive up front.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-04-2010, 05:49 PM
Floats away in heavy rain
Posted via Mobile Device

olebrooklawn
10-04-2010, 06:05 PM
i read that it dont float away in rain. but a flood and water up to doors im sure it will float away.

johnsonslawnmanagement
10-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm telling you from experience that it DOES float. I put it out in a bed and a moderate rain washed a large quantity of it out into the lawn. We have used it on some playground applications with high edging and have had it down going on 3 1/2 years. Still looks decent but has faded.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetland
10-04-2010, 06:17 PM
The biggest con is you don't get the yr to yr income from applying regular mulch on a clients house. I have it at one customers house and I'm not a dan of the way it looks. I think it should be used for play areas not gardens.
Posted via Mobile Device

sweetland
10-04-2010, 06:18 PM
The biggest con is you don't get the yr to yr income from applying regular mulch on a clients house. I have it at one customers house and I'm not a fan of the way it looks. I think it should be used for play areas not gardens.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

JayD
10-04-2010, 08:02 PM
I'm telling you from experience that it DOES float. I put it out in a bed and a moderate rain washed a large quantity of it out into the lawn. We have used it on some playground applications with high edging and have had it down going on 3 1/2 years. Still looks decent but has faded.
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes, but so does the regular mulch. I see where people will have big tall/high mounds built up and the lay fabric down with mulch and even in flat beds where the down spout drains into the bed.

soloscaperman
10-04-2010, 08:10 PM
I have a customer and I am friends with his neighbor. He buys the rubber mulch from BJ's or Costco for like $5 or $8 a bag. It looks good from far away but up close it looks very unnatural. It kind of smells when it's hot out.

After so many years it must suck removing it.

clcare2
10-04-2010, 08:35 PM
it looks like crap.

unkownfl
10-04-2010, 09:06 PM
It looks funny and fake. It is really dangerous to mow around as it really flies like ten doors down the street if you hit it with the trimmer or mower. It does float but so does regular mulch. To expensive, shrinks, and it's really just trash when you think about it. Regular mulch helps against insects and has a fresh smell. Also, it looks natural and not fake. Sure if you like the red mulch thing and Lava rock go ahead and spread it.

ajslands
10-04-2010, 09:09 PM
i read that it dont float away in rain. but a flood and water up to doors im sure it will float away.

So will regular mulch and light cars will start to float away also :laugh:
Posted via Mobile Device

PerfectEarth
10-04-2010, 09:20 PM
I would leave this business before I laid one piece of that junk. I can see it around a playground, but no WAY in a landscape bed. It acts like died-black chunky junk mulch...it will float and move around, it look terrible. But besides that, what about actual benefit to plants?? ....none. It probably gets way hot, it adds nothing to the soil.

Amazing that no one even mentions that....:dizzy:

fl-landscapes
10-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I would leave this business before I laid one piece of that junk. I can see it around a playground, but no WAY in a landscape bed. It acts like died-black chunky junk mulch...it will float and move around, it look terrible. But besides that, what about actual benefit to plants?? ....none. It probably gets way hot, it adds nothing to the soil.

everyone said its junk and they dont use it so why would they have the concerns of plant and soil health contributed by something they dont use?

ajslands
10-04-2010, 09:45 PM

You don't have to get black, you can get diffrent colors
Posted via Mobile Device

rain man
10-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Looks funky to me.

scagman52
10-05-2010, 08:05 AM
It does not float away. My beds were completly covered over with 3" of rain water and the mulch stayed put! It is costly but you put it down and forget about it. The weeds don't grow in it either.

shooterm
10-05-2010, 08:35 PM
It floats away, mixes with everything and should stay in a landfill. I talked to a school janitor that almost had a heartattack explaining how much he hated it. We laughed a good hour after he talked to us. This really is a fad you dont want part of.

SouthSide Cutter
10-05-2010, 09:37 PM
I dont put nothing down but big river rock. One time and its done for almost ever. Hate anything that washes, or blows away. I just dont do anything else, refer them to other landscapers.

93Chevy
10-05-2010, 09:39 PM

You don't have to get black, you can get diffrent colors
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh. Well good. I'm sure that will change his opinion.

Roger
10-05-2010, 09:52 PM
My local supplier has a display unit for rubber mulch with four or five compartments. One compartment has black, the others have colored rubber mulch. He does not stock, but can order from the samples.

He offered the cost while I was fingering the samples: The cost is about $350/yd for black, and about $600/yd for the colored. I about fell off the stool. Is this what is being charged other places?

I've seen no installations around here.

93Chevy
10-05-2010, 09:56 PM
My local supplier has a display unit for rubber mulch with four or five compartments. One compartment has black, the others have colored rubber mulch. He does not stock, but can order from the samples.

He offered the cost while I was fingering the samples: The cost is about $350/yd for black, and about $600/yd for the colored. I about fell off the stool. Is this what is being charged other places?

I've seen no installations around here.

Don't know how familiar you are with north of Pittsburgh, but Nesbit Landscape Supply, in Butler county on Route 8 carries (or carried) black rubber for about $100/yd.

Roger
10-05-2010, 10:02 PM
93... maybe I'm wrong about the prices. I think I was in shock, and maybe didn't hear right.

I do not know Nesbit. Actually, I know little about north of Pittsburgh. I was planning a trip to Freedom for AL&G visit, but now learn they are "no more."

Have you seen any installations up that way? If so, residential, or commercial?

93Chevy
10-05-2010, 10:22 PM
93... maybe I'm wrong about the prices. I think I was in shock, and maybe didn't hear right.

I do not know Nesbit. Actually, I know little about north of Pittsburgh. I was planning a trip to Freedom for AL&G visit, but now learn they are "no more."

Have you seen any installations up that way? If so, residential, or commercial?

I think what the deal was is the Nesbit is the type of supplier than many smaller, or even moderate sized yards, get "rare" materials from. Nesbit had the lowest price by far. Now that I think of it, it may have been $150, but it's been 4 years since I priced it. Dad and I did our front bank with rubber and some small boulders. As far as the mulch, I think it's was a good investment. Attractive enough, I suppose, but it blows, floats, and runs easily. However, I wouldn't use it around plants. Our front bank borders an arterial roadway and is very steep to mow with a push mower, so dad wanted something that would last forever. It would look much better with #3 river gravel, salt-resistant plants, and boulders, but what do I know :laugh::laugh:

Yeah, as far as Allegheny going under, my daytime boss told me the day before, so I had to run over and get a Redmax 8050 for $450.

Roger
10-05-2010, 10:29 PM
Even the chipped, dyed mulch blows easily. When the heavy storm came through two weeks ago (Wed afternoon), it really played havoc on some my properties with the chipped material. The turf areas were littered heavily with the mulch. In one case, a property atop a hill, a new layer had been put down about 10 days before the storm, so it had little time to settle. A good bit of the new mulch was blown away.

I would think the rubber stuff would be subject to wind as well. It would never settle, get a crust, like shredded hardwood mulch. I would think it to be pretty light, lighter than shredded hardwood. Maybe I'm wrong -- just a hunch.

doublesharp
10-05-2010, 11:45 PM
I put up a privacy fence in my back yard. I love it but it blocked the light so grass quit growing and my 2 dogs turned it into a mud hole. Rubber mulch was my solution. I'm on my 3rd year and I'm happy. The acorns and whirlybirds mix in and you can't keep it looking like new but it doesn't look bad and it's better than mud. since I don't get much light I think the color will last forever. I blow the leaves out using a blower at idle speed.

Under construction
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/DSC02500.jpg

finished product
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/DSC02516.jpg

how it looks now along with this cool Tanaka gas drill I snagged on ebay
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e255/doublesharp/BILD0298.jpg

unkownfl
10-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Looks like it faded pretty good compare to the other picture.

Alan0354
10-06-2010, 03:42 AM
I am landscaping my back yard, I don't like mulch. I have a lot of leaves during the leave season and I don't want stuff to fly around when I blow. In fact I use gravels for hardscape, and I use 2" size to make sure it does not get blown around. I think it will last for a long long time. I am doing 3" thick on top of the weed block to ensure weeds don't grow out. I use donomite, lava rock and ginger rock in different place and I put rings with Mexican pabble( expensive!!!) to suround some plants.

The only good thing I can think of mulch is it is softer to step on, but I have no plans to step on it anyway.

I guess for you guys, it is easier to work with mulch because it is so much lighter, it is a pure pain to shuffle gravels............from front to the back!!!!