PDA

View Full Version : Any body use a dump trailer to haul equipment?

shelbymustang616
10-04-2010, 06:15 PM
Kind of a weird question but I am just starting up and do not want to buy a dump . I plan on starting in the spring doing small lawns and mulching, edging, pruning. The days I am not mowing I can haul mulch and brush. Does anyone carry equipment in their dump and if you do can you get a ramp to get mowers up in it?

knox gsl
10-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Check out Bri-Mar trailers they have a swing gate that would work well for what you're looking for. If you already have a trailer you could have someone fab a similar gate up for yours.

jwsland
10-04-2010, 10:41 PM
I have a 7x12 brimar that I use for everything. I can just fit my two exmark 60inch lazers on with the pull out ramps that came with the trailer. The trailer works great for mowing use and general landscape use.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=191633&stc=1&d=1276736731

MDLawn
10-05-2010, 10:17 AM
I posted a similar thread because I sold my landscape and smaller dump trailer to upgrade to one big dump trailer, I wanted my garage back. I like it so far although I cannot get my mowers (walk behinds) up the ramps supplied with the trailer but I had some that I made that work well. My dump is a 7x14 and weighs 3800#'s empty so its heavy to drag around compared to the 900# single axle landscape trailer I had. I get about 8mpgs towing it (gas ford). The landscape gates offered by some manufacturers might be good option and I may look into someone fabricating something. When I debated this I had a few thoughts in my mind

1.) I wanted to be down to one trailer for space in my garage

2.) I needed something multipurpose to haul equipment and materials to replace the landscape and dump trailers I had sold.

3.) The mpg's are going to go down with a heavy trailer but I was also looking at 16-20' enclosed trailers that weigh close to 3000#. So the dump for me made more sense. Although if I get the space and money I may do the enclosed also :hammerhead:

These are only my opinions and observations. I wouldn't do it differently if I had another chance.

JWSLAND - What is the deck height on your dump trailer? I was wondering if I ever picked up a zero turn if the ramps on mine would be too steep to load it.

shelbymustang616
10-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the reply guys wasn't sure if that was feasable or not.

humble1
10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
Kind of a weird question but I am just starting up and do not want to buy a dump . I plan on starting in the spring doing small lawns and mulching, edging, pruning. The days I am not mowing I can haul mulch and brush. Does anyone carry equipment in their dump and if you do can you get a ramp to get mowers up in it?

Check into a book Systems for success by dwight hughes(sp?) he owns a very big landscaping co, does a few million a year with 4 employees. He has a sweet setup, dump trailer with torpedo tubes under it for tools.

jwsland
10-08-2010, 08:57 PM
From the ground to the bed of the trailer is about 23 inches.

The ramps work for the mowers but they are a little bumpy and when its wet out its sometimes hard to get up. Depending how the road is sloped when I unload/load I can just lift the trailer to make the angle less aggressive.

I worked for a guy who had a very nice hawke dump trailer which had a custom landscape gate on it. Downside, it had to be very long to make a nice angle to drive up it, thus making the gate extremely heavy. He had to install the gate lift helper springs on the sides. The tall gate had the normal bottom hinge point to drop on the ground when loading equipment, also a high hinge point so the bottom opened when you wanted to dump it. It seemed like a great idea but the dump feature was pretty much useless because the gate never opened properly at the bottom when dumping.

jwsland
10-08-2010, 08:59 PM
shelbymustang616- I bought my trailer at TP Trailers in Limerick PA. They were very helpful and beat another trailer dealers price for the same trailer by $1,000!

stan the man
10-09-2010, 08:07 AM
i been thinking of getting dump trailer been i did like using ramps. i need gate of the mowers

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-09-2010, 08:55 AM
your pullin' an extra 3000#'s for nothing.
But they do have these one trailer i call all in one
With a rear gate that folds down to load mowers and such then
like in this pic

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Photos/images/DumpTrailer4-1PGLG.jpg

http://www.allprowest.com/images/Dump_Trailer_Landscape_Gate.jpg

shelbymustang616
10-12-2010, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the replys guys, this is good stuff for me to know. Alsoi if anyone is in PA TP trailers is the way to go. Great prices just went there to get prices on a 6x10 7000gvwr with a 5" landscape gate for 4790

MDLawn
10-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Thanks for the replys guys, this is good stuff for me to know. Alsoi if anyone is in PA TP trailers is the way to go. Great prices just went there to get prices on a 6x10 7000gvwr with a 5" landscape gate for 4790

cuttin-to-the-max makes a good point that you will be hauling a lot of weight for nothing. But some guys haul big enclosed trailers that weigh a lot too so at least the dump can be multi-purpose. If you mainly mow you could just stick to an open trailer and maybe a dump insert?

If you want the dump trailer;

You may want to look at something bigger and more capacity. I had a 6x10 7k and ran out of room and capacity really fast and would not hold a 36" and 48" walk behind. Now I have a 7x14 14k and love the space and extra capacity. I know the price of a 6x10 may look great at first compared to a 6x12 10k but you get more with a bigger trailer. Also look into the options for the type of lift: single ram, dual ram, scissor, single ram tongue mount. Listed in good to best. Frame build, steel guage for sides and floor. Power up/Power Down or Power Up/Gravity down. Everyone has a different opinion on whats best so get the details for yourself. Get all the details before you buy although most are probably more similar than different. Usually the 7k's have about a 5k payload and 2 yards of stone or soil can max that out. Also if you ever need to haul a decent sized piece of equipment it may max out the payload. Does it come with built in ramps? You have to find what works for what you want to do, but these are some of my observations. I don't regret the smaller dump purchase as I recouped my money selling it but it would have saved time and trips if I had the larger one.

cuttin-to-the-max makes a good point that you will be hauling a lot of weight for nothing. But some guys haul big enclosed trailers that weigh a lot too so at least the dump can be multi-purpose. If you mainly mow you could just stick to an open trailer and maybe a dump insert?

shelbymustang616
10-13-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks MD lawn. This is good stuff to know and for me to think about. Kind of tossing whether or not to start mowing or doing plant bed maintenace. I dont really want to pay for a dumptruck since Ill be starting out and dont want to drop a ton of cash... be slow. and be paying overhead on expensive equipment I cant pay for.

jwsland
10-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Definitely a good point about towing the extra weight. I had a regular open landscape trailer when I decided to upgrade to the dump. I kept both for a while planning to use the dump when I needed to. I ended up hardly ever using the old trailer anymore and it was just taking up space so I sold it to a friend. Switching trailers during the day when work was full throttle didn't seem too appealing to me. Everyone works a little differently though.

If you start mowing the other work is definitely going to pop up. I always try to do both because I don't want my customers calling someone else for one service or another who might try to knock me out of there by possibly "lowballing" me.

MDLawn
10-14-2010, 10:30 AM
I use a dump trailer for everything and dont think I would do it differently. JWSland makes a good point about not having to go back and change trailers for small odd jobs while you mow. I did a tree pruning job last week at a lawn customers place after mowing. No way would those branches have fit on the 6x12 landscape trailer without blowing off. Saved me a trip.

With fuel economy.......I'm not sure there is such a thing as this in landscaping. Towing heavy trailers whether it be a dual axle landscape, dump, or enclosed trailer are all heavy with equipment in or on them. I've heard guys who own 450-550 type dumps get 6 mpg. Its a cost of doing business and if you are more efficient with a little less mpg that may work better than good mpg's and horrbile efficiency, right?????. I'm not a business wizz but everyone screams about efficiency so that is probably the most important aspect.

I know from working with a friend in the past that we started with a dual axle landscape trailer and two walk behind mowers, only one had a sulky (he was cheap and made walk :hammerhead:). Then he got an enclosed and a ztr. Way more efficient with the ztr and walk behind with a pro slide. Then he aqcuired a dump truck, and a good used HD pickup. More jobs came and we could handle them with more equipment and guys. Stuff just got better and more efficient which equaled more work = more money. But this did take over the course of 7 years. Oh part time too. He does really well. And for all those who bark at part timers he is legit, pays taxes, etc...

So I guess you need to find what makes you efficient to be able to take on more work. Again this is just my opinion of what I have seen work and not saying this is the only or best way.

MDLawn
10-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Thanks MD lawn. This is good stuff to know and for me to think about. Kind of tossing whether or not to start mowing or doing plant bed maintenace. I dont really want to pay for a dumptruck since Ill be starting out and dont want to drop a ton of cash... be slow. and be paying overhead on expensive equipment I cant pay for.

I think you have a good thing going with this idea. But you will get a varied response of paying cash for stuff or not. I agree that the cash should be there before you purchase. However, if somone offers a good deal on equipment say 0% for 12 months I'll keep the cash and just pay it down. That way I have reserve cash for things that come up. I think the biggest waste most people do is buy some awesome crew cab pickup. What for??? Put the cash into the stuff that does the work, yes the truck does do a lot of work. I mean I wouldn't buy a piece of junk but a good 2-4 yr old used cost a whole lot less. I lucked out being part time (good full time job) and got all new mowers, trailers, etc... Paid them off in the first 2 years, as i put all the money into the business, and now am in the clear with really good equipment making money. Not sure how far I want to go with it but I'm just letting take me where it goes.

Back to my other post above, good equipment can maybe make you more efficient. Or if you are a mechanical whizz who can fix stuff then used could be a good way.

shelbymustang616
10-14-2010, 07:56 PM
I know alot of guys who have tried going into landscaping and went all out buying the best mowers big trailers diesel trucks and cant pay for them and I dont want to fall into that situation so I figured a multipurpsoe dump would be best. I will only be doing this to start my business part time (legit) and grow from there. I am only 22 so I a can afford high risk investments since i have plenty of time to recoop but I rather start off right.

Sweet Tater
10-14-2010, 11:06 PM

heres a thought, click the link in my sig and check out my equipment/dump trailer,

Sweet Tater
10-14-2010, 11:10 PM
your pullin' an extra 3000#'s for nothing.
But they do have these one trailer i call all in one
With a rear gate that folds down to load mowers and such then
like in this pic

http://www.hillsboroindustries.com/Photos/images/DumpTrailer4-1PGLG.jpg

http://www.allprowest.com/images/Dump_Trailer_Landscape_Gate.jpg

thats pretty sweet, whered it come from?

MDLawn
10-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I know alot of guys who have tried going into landscaping and went all out buying the best mowers big trailers diesel trucks and cant pay for them and I dont want to fall into that situation so I figured a multipurpsoe dump would be best. I will only be doing this to start my business part time (legit) and grow from there. I am only 22 so I a can afford high risk investments since i have plenty of time to recoop but I rather start off right.

If you have a plan then stick to it and go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You either fail somewhere and learn from your mistakes and fix them(hmm, sounds like business :)) Or the plan works out beautifully and things start to work out. You will make mistakes, it's just what you do about those mistakes that makes the difference.

eco.lawns
02-10-2011, 06:11 PM
Who makes that "all in one trailer"
Posted via Mobile Device

cuttin-to-the-Max
02-11-2011, 06:59 PM
Who makes that "all in one trailer"
Posted via Mobile Device

the one i posted in the pic is a turf loader but all i did was searched for a landscape/dump trailer with ramps any trailer distributer should be able to make,sell, or direct you to someone who does sell one in your area.
Bri-mar makes one too... Heard it was like $300 bucks for the gate setup

Only thing about this setup is during the fall you couldnt really make a box that is really tall to how leaves because the gate would interfear... I guess you could take off the gate.. Im sure its really easy. But it would be nice for everything else really... like mulch and stuff! if you didnt have a dump truck
http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=35792&d=1113164615

MDLawn
02-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I would think having a gate like that would be a pita for mulching, soil, rock as you cannot get the wheelbarrow under or near the bed. So either you are throwin mulchin, dumping mulch, or up in the bed scooping it up. Thats way more work then I'd like to do. Unless you are using some sort or skid or mini skid to move it all. Simple ramps for the mower and then the dump can be used normally for any othe job, thats how I have it and like it. If it's mainly used for just mowing, the gate may be worth it but I wouldnt buy a new one just for hauling mowers.

Puddle of Oil
02-11-2011, 09:24 PM
im sure you could take the gate off like you would a landscape trailer.

LB1234
02-13-2011, 11:00 AM
Kind of tossing whether or not to start mowing or doing plant bed maintenace.

Do both...nothing like reducing your windshield time...its a positive no matter how you look at it...fuel, labor, wear/tear, etc.

Before/After you service the lawn, service the beds. I get a lot of "add-on" work doing this and it makes my profits jump. there are some places I can spend a whole day just mowing the lawn and maintaining the landscape beds.

cuttin-to-the-Max
02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
im sure you could take the gate off like you would a landscape trailer.

The gate does come off easily..
I was at the trailer shop today and got a demo on one
they had 2 types one all electric (Plus $400 in addition to the trailer it self)
Then a all manual one for (Plus $200)

The electric one all you do is flip up 3 switches (all electrical solenoids.) and the gate slowly dropped to the ground...

then to put the gate back on a small winch lifted it up into place.
next you line up the holes (the winch and tracks help) and close the solenoids and you're done! Takes like 3 minutes!

MDLawn
02-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Easy enough. Can you put the barn doors on when the gate is off? I am assuming you can. I think I'll stick with my ramps as a gate on my dump would not allow it to fit in my garage. But that sounds like an easy way to do it!