PDA

View Full Version : New trailer

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Well after about 7 weeks or so, I finally got my new trailer. I had this trailer custom built for me so it is PERFECT for me. It is an 18' trailer with dovetail and split rear ramp gate. It also has a side ramp gate on the passenger side. I put 5200lb axles on there with brakes on both axles. I added the 4' mesh sides on the front half of the trailer. I did the all LED package and added two work lights on the front of the trailer. The color is JOHN DEERE YELLOW.

This trailer is a monster!!!! It tips the scales at 2880lbs empty.

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 06:53 PM
Couple more pics....

Puddle of Oil
10-04-2010, 07:00 PM
wow that's a bright trailer! when i first saw that i thought i was looking at the sun!:laugh::laugh::laugh: looks great brad, but wow 7 weeks! How much did that set you back?

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 07:12 PM
wow that's a bright trailer! when i first saw that i thought i was looking at the sun!:laugh::laugh::laugh: looks great brad, but wow 7 weeks! How much did that set you back?

Well the place I had it built at doesn't build trailers regularly, they build them custom usually. But they know how to build a trailer very well. The place also does custom fire apparatus and repairs, so during my build they had some fire trucks come in for repairs, so they got priority over my trailer. But it was well worth the wait.

I won't say the exact price but when I priced this trailer out at a few different trailer manufacturers they seem to go for $5500 +/-

GravelyGuy
10-04-2010, 07:20 PM
That stands out! Very nice trailer. I love the dovetail, 5200 axles, and side gate.

You should have put an electric jack on there if you have to unhook all the time. I think you use the Chevy as your personal truck also.

bobcat48
10-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow that is nice and it does stand out that is diffrent.i like it.good luck with it.looks to be great for cleanups and what not.

Jelinek61
10-04-2010, 07:25 PM
Nice setup, who was the company that built it?

GravelyGuy
10-04-2010, 07:27 PM
What is that area at the bottom of the rear split ramp for?

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 07:28 PM
That stands out! Very nice trailer. I love the dovetail, 5200 axles, and side gate.

You should have put an electric jack on there if you have to unhook all the time. I think you use the Chevy as your personal truck also.

Yea the chevy is also my personal truck. I thought about the electric jack, but that was just one more thing that could break. But it really isn't that bad hooking up and unhooking.

Nice setup, who was the company that built it?

B&B Truck Equipment in Byron Center. If you ever need a trailer, I highly recommend them.

Bassmar
10-04-2010, 07:29 PM
Very nice, I will be looking for a 16ft dovetail with 3500lb axles next year hopefully.

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
What is that area at the bottom of the rear split ramp for?

Those are actually the "knees" for the ramps so if I do load something really heavy it will prevent the trailer from squating so bad.

Jelinek61
10-04-2010, 07:38 PM
B&B Truck Equipment in Byron Center. If you ever need a trailer, I highly recommend them.

That was my guess when you said fire truck repair and stuff like that. I worked for Seaver's Lawn Service for a few summers up in Montague, Michigan (Don't know if you've heard of them). They always have Integrity trailer in Nunica custom build their mowing crew trailers. There pretty awesome.....hydraulic lift rear ramp, trimmer racks, solid 3' walls...and all the bells and wistles.

It looks like B&B did a nice job on yours. Might have to check them out in the future.

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 07:53 PM
That was my guess when you said fire truck repair and stuff like that. I worked for Seaver's Lawn Service for a few summers up in Montague, Michigan (Don't know if you've heard of them). They always have Integrity trailer in Nunica custom build their mowing crew trailers. There pretty awesome.....hydraulic lift rear ramp, trimmer racks, solid 3' walls...and all the bells and wistles.

It looks like B&B did a nice job on yours. Might have to check them out in the future.

Integrity builds a nice trailer, I actually went to integrity to get a price. Integrity wanted $6500 for this trailer, lets just say I didn't pay near that and got easily the same quality of an integrity trailer.

B&B has very fair pricing and knows how to build a trailer. They deal alot with heavy equipment (semi's, fire trucks, etc) so they know how to make a trailer heavy duty.

flatlander42
10-04-2010, 07:57 PM
That is a Nice Trailer!

Do you think that the yellow would look dirty easier?

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 08:28 PM
That is a Nice Trailer!

Do you think that the yellow would look dirty easier?

I thought about if it would look dirty easier, but I think it will look cleaner than the standard black trailer. I'll see how dirty it gets after I go down some of the dirt roads.

KE-llc
10-04-2010, 08:32 PM
what is up with your hitch man?? it looks messed up?? trailer is nice man! color is sooo obnoxious but nice!

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 08:46 PM
what is up with your hitch man?? it looks messed up?? trailer is nice man! color is sooo obnoxious but nice!

The hitch is adjustable and has a 1 7/8", 2" and 2 5/16" ball with a pintle hook. Its a little different than your standard hitch, it weighs 55lbs and has 3 different sections to it.

deere615
10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Wow that is awesome had to be a pretty penny!

a clear difference lawn
10-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Awesome trailer!! You must post some pics once you have all your equipment loaded up! Congrats and good luck.

jbell36
10-04-2010, 09:47 PM
i love the design and color the that matter...what made you go with yellow? dont get me wrong, it doens't look bad and it will give you your "signature" color, but what made you go with this certain color, is this your primary color for your business?

i feel like i should say color one more time...

Junior M
10-04-2010, 09:53 PM
Why yellow?

You've got a red truck? :confused:

mowerbrad
10-04-2010, 09:59 PM
I went with yellow to match my mower. Since I have the John Deere mower, I figured I'd go with either green or yellow. I've seen green trailers before, but I have never really seen many yellow trailers. So I told the guys who built it to paint it specifically, John Deere yellow...you should have seen the look on their faces when I said yellow.

But I look at it this way...it still looks good, if it gets stolen it will be easily recognized, it makes my company stand out and it matches my mower.

Junior M
10-04-2010, 10:02 PM
I went with yellow to match my mower. Since I have the John Deere mower, I figured I'd go with either green or yellow. I've seen green trailers before, but I have never really seen many yellow trailers. So I told the guys who built it to paint it specifically, John Deere yellow...you should have seen the look on their faces when I said yellow.

But I look at it this way...it still looks good, if it gets stolen it will be easily recognized, it makes my company stand out and it matches my mower.
Very good point Thumbs Up

It is a great looking trailer, almost exactly what I want!

Trevor8
10-04-2010, 10:43 PM
Lets see it with the mowers on there! Looks great, it really catches the eye.

mowerbrad
10-06-2010, 10:50 PM
Sorry its not a great picture, but here's with the JD loaded on the trailer. Slow day today and didn't have to collect much.

knox gsl
10-06-2010, 11:07 PM
With the bagger on, it makes the truck and trailer looking small. Looks good though.
Posted via Mobile Device

alex94
10-06-2010, 11:25 PM
That is just such a sharp looking trailer. Congrats on the new purchase and hope it does its job for ya!

KE-llc
10-07-2010, 01:09 AM
One thing I REALLY dislike about my deere's are the obnoxiously HUGE bagging systems.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kennedy Landscaping
10-07-2010, 01:27 AM
That's a really nice trailer. I would love something like that.

mowerbrad
10-07-2010, 08:50 AM
One thing I REALLY dislike about my deere's are the obnoxiously HUGE bagging systems.
Posted via Mobile Device

That was something that I really had to get used to. I came from using a bob-cat with their bagging system, and that was a low profile system. I got the Deere and the system is much bigger. The fan definately sticks out more on the side and the bags part is taller. Once I got used to it, I don't really notice it much anymore. This bagging system does better than any other system I've tried, it fills up very evenly everytime...no clogging.

bobcat48
10-07-2010, 08:13 PM
It looks good.

Moto52
10-07-2010, 08:25 PM
How is the new truck working out for you? how does it feel towing that trailer all loaded up??

mowerbrad
10-07-2010, 09:12 PM
How is the new truck working out for you? how does it feel towing that trailer all loaded up??

The new truck has been great. It's at the dealer right now getting a new switch put in for the tow-haul mode (but I've got the bump-to-bumper warranty on it, so if anything goes wrong it'll be covered). I've put about 2000+ miles on it since I bought it and have loved every minute of it.

The fuel mileage is way better than I expected. Doing about 55mph, I can get 19-20mpg. Doing 70mph I can get 17-18mpg. Towing really drops my fuel economy, goes down to about 11mpg.

But the truck tows great. Very smooth and the integrated brake controller is amazing. With the trailer loaded, I've only towed about 5500lbs total and it did quite well. Once I get a full load of leaves on the trailer this fall, I will really see how well it does.

I really like the new truck way better than my old one. But that could be something to do with the fact that my old truck was a '98 and my new one is an '07.

minitrk
10-07-2010, 10:15 PM
I must say I love the color of that trailer. Really stands out, Im in the process of rebuilding mine and I cant decide between yellow or orange, your trailer however might have helped me decide.

GreenGiant94
10-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey man I love your trailer! That is awesome. i would love to have one with the same options you have but it probably wouldn't need to be quite that big though haha.::)

THEGOLDPRO
10-07-2010, 10:36 PM
i dunno if i like the yellow. looks alittle goofy in contrast to a red truck.

Turf Commando
10-07-2010, 10:42 PM
John deere color looks good on mower, but poor choice for trailer ...!
Thought for a brief second the circus was in town....:jester:

bradseabridge
10-07-2010, 10:53 PM
I'm painting my next trailer Husqvarna orange, I should have it by March next year!

knox gsl
10-07-2010, 11:08 PM
I think I'll stay with the black on my trailers. Although if stolen that yellow would be hard to miss.

mowerbrad
10-08-2010, 08:36 AM
Obviously a yellow trailer isn't for everyone but anyone who knows me wasn't really surprised by my choice...I'm always the guy to have something unique. I gave it a great deal of thought before I decided on a color. Now that I've used the trailer for a couple days, it turns more heads going down the road. I get more compliments on it too. I love the color of the trailer and it definately makes me stand out going down the road or while at a job.

Sweet Tater
10-08-2010, 09:51 AM
sweet trailer, Love the color. Hope it serves you well

mowerbrad
10-08-2010, 07:55 PM
I finally got my 12 volt wire on my truck all set up so I can run my trailer flood lights now. I got some pics tonight, these lights are awesome!!

The first pic is of the trailer without the lights on, the rest all have the flood lights on.

bobcat48
10-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Nice.kool.lights look great.

GreenGiant94
10-08-2010, 10:34 PM
Awesome lights man! Great work.

Trevor8
10-08-2010, 10:46 PM
That looks sweet.

DLAWNS
10-10-2010, 10:16 AM
That trailer is ridiculous! (I mean that in a good way). I normally wouldn't but I love the yellow, the tall sides, side gate, and especially the lights! Nice purchase.....

mowerbrad
10-10-2010, 10:41 AM
That trailer is ridiculous! (I mean that in a good way). I normally wouldn't but I love the yellow, the tall sides, side gate, and especially the lights! Nice purchase.....

Thanks Bill! I spent a great deal of time sketching out this trailer before settling on the final specs. That side gate is actually 54" so I will be able to load a 48" mower on that way (once I can justify the 48" stander I want). And one of my biggest things that I wanted on this trailer were the flood lights, I always find myself unloading leaves in the fall when it starts to get dark out. Now I can at least see when I'm unloading this fall.

SNAPPER MAN
10-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Trailer looks great. I like the color a lot. Too many people have black trailers and itsnoce to have something that stands out. Just out of curiosity why did you not want 4' sides all around?
Posted via Mobile Device

DLAWNS
10-10-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks Bill! I spent a great deal of time sketching out this trailer before settling on the final specs. That side gate is actually 54" so I will be able to load a 48" mower on that way (once I can justify the 48" stander I want). And one of my biggest things that I wanted on this trailer were the flood lights, I always find myself unloading leaves in the fall when it starts to get dark out. Now I can at least see when I'm unloading this fall.

Just out of curiosity, what 48" stander are you looking at getting? I was gonna get the Scag V-ride 48", but decided to get the 52".

Kennedy Landscaping
10-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Those lights look good. How are they switched on and off though?
Posted via Mobile Device

mowerbrad
10-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Trailer looks great. I like the color a lot. Too many people have black trailers and itsnoce to have something that stands out. Just out of curiosity why did you not want 4' sides all around?
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I figure that if I do add racks for trimmers or blowers some day, I will be able to do it without any modification. I also wanted to be able to hop on and off the trailer without having the gates down, so as it is I am able to do that and also have the high sides for when I have leaves/grass in there.

Just out of curiosity, what 48" stander are you looking at getting? I was gonna get the Scag V-ride 48", but decided to get the 52".

I'd like to get the John Deere Quik-Trak. I demoed one last year and really liked it. I've got my 54" deere now, so I need something that is smaller and lighter. My mower now can weigh up to 2000lbs, so having a 1000lb quik-trak is just what I need. I tried wrights and just wasn't that impressed with the 48" RH stander. I have a great John Deere dealer that I can buy pretty much everything I use from. I don't really have a scag dealer in a convenient area for me, so it pretty much rules the scag out. I may try and demo a toro since I do have pretty good toro dealer near me. But I'm pretty sure I'm set on the quik-trak.

Those lights look good. How are they switched on and off though?
Posted via Mobile Device

The lights are tied into my truck's 12v hot wire. There is a weather proof switch mounted by the jack on the front of the trailer. As long as my truck has the key in the "run" position I can use the flood lights.

KE-llc
10-10-2010, 04:35 PM
john deere quic tracs are complete garbage and they rut like crazy due to narrow tires, they also dont hold a hill well....what didnt you like about the wright

pflasch
10-10-2010, 04:51 PM
I would have thought that it would be JD GREEN!! ha ha ha

Nice looking trailer! :clapping:

mowerbrad
10-10-2010, 05:48 PM
john deere quic tracs are complete garbage and they rut like crazy due to narrow tires, they also dont hold a hill well....what didnt you like about the wright

To each his own but I loved the quik trak when I had it for 4 days.

I demoed the wright a few months after the deere. The stander had a horrible ride, very bumpy and no suspention on the platform. I hated the battery between my feet. The controls were too cluttered, hard to access everything under the steering levers. The cut was nothing to get excited about. The tires were pretty narrow for a 48" mower...only 18x8x10. I had a heck of a time accessing the top of the deck with the muffler right there and very little room to take off the deck covers. It also is not really a "floating" deck, so it did scalp more on uneven ground.

The deere does weigh about 250lbs more and is 9.5" longer but overall I liked it better. It held a hill just as well, if not better, than the stander RH. The platform has some suspension in it, so the bumps were not so "jarring". All maintenance points were easily accessable, including the deck. The tires were wider, both drive tires and casters. The cut is second to none. I also thought the controls were more user friendly, not so cluttered.

I'm not so much worried about hills but I just need something smaller for more heavily landscaped properties and shady properties. Its also nice to have a back-up mower. Plus, I really like my JD dealership and prefer to buy from them.

93Chevy
10-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Man, that trailer is something sweet. I wouldn't want to be the one to lift the gate closed though.

Those lights on it are sick also.

mowerbrad
10-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Man, that trailer is something sweet. I wouldn't want to be the one to lift the gate closed though.

Those lights on it are sick also.

The gates are actually not that heavy. Since the rear gate is a split gate, it makes it so much easier to lift. Really it is not that bad to lift compared to a full width gate.

bradseabridge
10-10-2010, 08:07 PM
You should definitely check out the Toro GS I am IN LOVE with the 36 and am planning on picking one up this winter. Full floating deck and all, so nice It also doesn't shut the blades off when you get off the platform.

SouthSide Cutter
10-13-2010, 04:10 PM
Nice looking trailer. I have redone the one I bought which was a PJ. Moved the jack up close to the hitch and added a box to keep the cooler, gas cans etc. Put the tire on the side. Have ways to carry all my equipment on the trailer nothing in the truck. Pole saw you name it. I dont bag so the high sides I didnt want. Couldnt find anything the way I wanted it so I just did it myself. Probably will put 5200lb axles on it later.

Trevor8
10-14-2010, 07:34 AM
You should try the grandstand/Vantage if you know it is a good dealer. I tried it out and liked it a lot, it holds hills good. I like how you stand up a lot higher than the other stand on mowers.

South Florida Lawns
10-15-2010, 03:10 PM
I would have gone with the mesh all the way around the trailer not just the front but it ain't my trailer.

rmslawns
10-19-2010, 11:09 PM
Solid looking trailer Brad. Nice clean truck too...

oakwdman
10-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Should have gone for an amarillo edition ford to match that JD yellow trailer. Now that would be one sharp setup.

newjerseylandscaping
12-12-2010, 09:42 PM
I like your trailer, i really like your truck. ive seen posts of your trailer before but seeing it now it looks like an efficiant rig.

Lefet
01-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Any recent pictures of it fully loaded and maybe with trimmer/blower racks?

organiclawncanada
02-14-2011, 08:18 PM
Hey Brad
Nice looking trailer. I am looking for one right now and am trying to decide JD Green or Orange. How do you like the side ramp on it? I am also thinking of a side ramp as well. I was also looking at a new 925 like yours but just not in the budget this year so bought a used 737 to get by till I have the funds for the new 925.:canadaflag:

mowerbrad
02-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Hey Brad
Nice looking trailer. I am looking for one right now and am trying to decide JD Green or Orange. How do you like the side ramp on it? I am also thinking of a side ramp as well. I was also looking at a new 925 like yours but just not in the budget this year so bought a used 737 to get by till I have the funds for the new 925.:canadaflag:

Thanks! The side ramp made unloading leaves in the fall much quicker. This year I will be running a 48" JD stander up and down it, which is what I originally designed the side gate to be used with. It is definately a nice thing to have on a trailer. I went with a 54" so I could easily get 48" mowers through the opening.

You should really like the 737, the 700's had a great reputation.

Scag413
02-15-2011, 11:51 AM
I love the light set-up you got going on there. I am going to have to do that for my trailer now. Thanks for the idea.

timebomb9900
02-16-2011, 03:44 PM
we dont plan on getting the same deal as you.... why cant you say what you paid for it... inquiring minds want to know..... it is a super trailer..... great looking.....