PDA

View Full Version : setting the record straight

Prolightscaper
10-04-2010, 08:37 PM
I see alot of false and misleading info posted on this board. Let's start a thread for the record to set things straight. I'll start.

To be fair their are very few new ideas, most are taken or recycled from other industries, very little innovation in outdoor lighting. For instance Nightingale came before Locklin and most of his ideas came from him and Nightingale's ideas were taken from interior and stage lighting

In a previous thread Tom Williams said it was his idea to put window screens in lighting fixtures to cut down on light output. I remember Nate Mullen recommending this in a seminar in the early 90's long before i ever heard the name Tom Williams on this board.

As far as I know. Bill Locklin was the inventor of low voltage landscape lighting

Locklin was the first to introduce halogen lamps in the early 80's

Acme pool and spa was the first multi tap I ever saw used outdoors.

Unique was the first multi tap for outdoor lighting use I ever saw (early 90's)

Nightscaping the first 1838 multitap from my recollection.

That's all I can think of now. probably add more later.

What say you......................................

Mark B
10-04-2010, 09:03 PM
I will sit back back and wait till someone passes me a drink on this post. Personally I could careless who did what when. My .02
Posted via Mobile Device

Prolightscaper
10-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Intermatic Malibu was the first to produce cheap flimsy plastic garbage kit lights sold in discount and big box home improvement stores.

Anyone know who invented LV lighting cable? perhaps Tom Williams?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
10-05-2010, 09:34 AM
I will sit back back and wait till someone passes me a drink on this post. Personally I could careless who did what when. My .02
Posted via Mobile Device

Here you go.... :drinkup:

Mark B
10-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device

JoeyD
10-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Awesome thread!!!! jajajajajaja

irrig8r
10-05-2010, 04:01 PM
....Acme pool and spa was the first multi tap I ever saw used outdoors.

Unique was the first multi tap for outdoor lighting use I ever saw (early 90's)

What say you..............

Hmmm, first multi tap I ever saw and started using right away was from FX, and according to my old spec binder, they were first offered in 1994: the MT-100, MT-300 and MT-500. (I only ever used the MT-300.)

They came with leads, not lugs, in 12, 13 and 14 VAC. They were in a stainless steel box and the internal components were encapsulated in epoxy. There was an auto reset circuit breaker, and they were the first I saw using (essentially disposable) plug-in Intermatic analog timers.

Ewing was the only place you could get them then.

According to the Internet Wayback Machine, FX's website didn't go live until approx. late 1998...

You can still find some old pages there, but most are blocked.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.fxl.com

Old Nightscaping pages are more fun. For instance:

http://web.archive.org/web/19970222161813/http://www.nightscaping.com/

irrig8r
10-05-2010, 04:17 PM
BTW, Prolightscaper, you kinda remind me of someone else who used to post on this board a while back....

David Gretzmier
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
fx was my first multi tap as well, at ewing as well. although mine had the blocks and not flying leads. I remember before that the hi medium low switch on nightscaping, but unless you had 3 trans there mounted each with different settings on the switch, that was not really a multi tap. my first low voltage trans was a nightscaping greenish colored unit with a common and a tap, and the wires went on similar to an intermatic today, just an open screw and a metal backing.

irrig8r
10-05-2010, 11:35 PM
fx was my first multi tap as well, at ewing as well. although mine had the blocks and not flying leads. I remember before that the hi medium low switch on nightscaping, but unless you had 3 trans there mounted each with different settings on the switch, that was not really a multi tap. my first low voltage trans was a nightscaping greenish colored unit with a common and a tap, and the wires went on similar to an intermatic today, just an open screw and a metal backing.

My first install too, in 1989. Brass nuts and washers and spade connectors. What a pain. Why did people put up with that for so long? I still have some of those green units in use where they were installed inside sheds.