PDA

View Full Version : solos jury duty

VLM
08-13-2002, 10:44 PM
For you solos out there, I just got sent a letter informing me I am being considered for Jury duty. On the questionaire there is a possible exception for business owners and I will ask to be excused for that reason. Just wondering if any of you have done this and if you were successful.

nova385
08-13-2002, 10:52 PM
Just show up in a metalica t-shirt(nothing wrong with metalica), and tell 'em you hate everyone!
This will get you back to work in a hurry:D

bob
08-13-2002, 10:57 PM
Yes, I got called for July duty once. I explained my situation, and they said just to show up some time in the next 12 months. I went in January and got on a 3 day case. ( I was foreman).

SLS
08-13-2002, 11:17 PM
Just show up, give the judge a little 'wink' and whisper in his ear "Will I get a ringside seat to the execution?".

You'll be back to mowing lawns in no time.

AielLandscaping
08-13-2002, 11:26 PM
i've never been called but was told that if you are a solo operator of any business you should be able to tell them that it would be detrimental to your business and your family. that should be enough to get you out of it

dforbes
08-14-2002, 12:19 AM
I usually have from 8 - 10 employees and have been sent 2 such letters. I have sent them a letter back telling them it would be an honor to serve but i feel it will be a burden to my business and family. They have never called me to serve

Alan Bechard
08-14-2002, 12:31 AM
Just did it with Hanna, one of the questions was "are you a sole proprietor" and if you answered yes they wanted some documentation and that was it.

I think they pay $10 a day to serve. Civic duty and all but heck, they wont let her vote either.

It would kill you if you got on a long drawn out case or anything.

Al B

Bob Minney
08-14-2002, 01:23 AM
I've not been able to get excused as a sole prop. but have never had trouble getting defered to off season. A phone call takes care of it.

MOW ED
08-14-2002, 08:30 AM
They are very accomidating in Wisconsin. If you are scheduled and you tell them you are on vacation, they will reschedule.
I personally was called and did serve but it was in February so there was no problem. While in the staging area I heard many PITIFUL excuses from people not wanting to serve. Being that I am in farm country there were 2 dairy farmers that said they would try to make it if needed but they were let go by the judge.

I must say it was a very compelling experience for me because it was a very high profile case for this area. It lasted 10 days. We weren't sequestered but couldn't discuss the case or listen to tv,radio or read the paper about the trial. I can honestly say that I did not, it helped because after the case was over I read some of the speculation and junk written by the media and it almost made me puke.

Sorry I got off the topic a little. Its not as bad as everyone makes it sound but if you are a SP try and get it in the winter.
Good Luck

ProMo
08-14-2002, 08:46 AM
I got one last year and got exscused with a phone call

Loosestrife
08-14-2002, 11:07 AM
I got the Jury Duty notice this spring. It had me scheduled for the first week of June. There was a form to fill out; ever been convicted, are you racist... and you could write a letter if you had an extreme situation that would cause an undue hardship.

I wrote a letter, explaining: seasonal business, short of help, wife unemployed... And the judge gave me the option of June, or Nov.

I chose June. You are required to show up the first day, and sit in a room with 100 other jurors. They randomly select (by number) people to go before the judge, lawyers, and plantiff and defandant for interview. If you are selected, you remain in the case till it finishes. If you are not, you go back to the pool.

After day one, you must call in each afternoon to see if you are needed the next day.

I never got called for interview, and never had to go after the first day.

Solo operation, or head of a fortune 500 company, business does not count as a valid reason for excuse, at least in our county court system.

JJ Lawn
08-14-2002, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Loosestrife
I
Solo operation, or head of a fortune 500 company, business does not count as a valid reason for excuse, at least in our county court system.

About the same here. Except you get the civic duty, and it is your responsibility speech.

I did learn that when the judge asks if anyone has reason for not serving, that if you tell the judge about your solo situation, usually the lawyers will dismiss you if you name is pulled out of the hat. Still lose one day, but it beats the heck out of a week or so.

Civic duty does not keep customers or pay bills.

fastlane
08-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Call and find out. PA. has 67 counties. All have thier own system. Self employment gets you out of jurry duty where I live.