PDA

View Full Version : 100:1 gas mix. anyone know about it?

alexschultz1
10-04-2010, 08:41 PM
im taking landscaping classes and my teacher mentioned a 100:1 gas/oil mix. i think he said amsoil made it but im not sure. he said it was amazing though

alexschultz1
10-04-2010, 08:43 PM
found it

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/atp.aspx

Pennington Lawncare
10-05-2010, 01:03 AM
How could you have been registered on these forums since 06 and not heard about Amsoil Saber 100:1 ?

ajslands
10-05-2010, 01:06 AM
What engine would take 100:1 mix?
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 01:07 AM
I use Opti-2 at 100:1

It and Amsoil is a strait 100:1 mix for all 2 cycle equipment.

I've used it for years and love it.

Do a search AJ, there is tons of info on this site, and tons of debate.

Richard Martin
10-05-2010, 05:53 AM
I've been talking about here almost since I joined. I use Amsoil at 80:1.

LawnTamer
10-05-2010, 07:33 AM
Saber is labeled to be used at 100:1 in just about everything. My Stihl does just fine with the 100:1, some of my Echo equipment runs too hot with the 100:1 mix, so I add a little extra Saber. I run it about 80:1, and everything seems happy.

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 07:36 AM
I know I won't go that lean in any of my equipment...I don't care what the oil company says.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
10-05-2010, 07:37 AM
I know I won't go that lean in any of my equipment...I don't care what the oil company says.
Posted via Mobile Device

i am with you. No thanks. Equipment running too hot? Umm.

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 07:38 AM
i am with you. No thanks. Equipment running too hot? Umm.

Absurd. All to save 50 cents in oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

Richard Martin
10-05-2010, 08:04 AM
Absurd. All to save 50 cents in oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

For me it's not about saving money on oil. It's about not having to mess with cleaning the exhaust ports or spark arrestor screens. Yes, I leave my screens in. The machines are quieter with them in. I really do try not to make as much noise as possible.

Richard Martin
10-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

With 2 strokes and 4 cycle hybrids, it's not the amount of oil. It's what's in the oil that counts. Basically put, Amsoil puts more anti-friction modifiers into their oil than almost anybody else.

punt66
10-05-2010, 08:08 AM
With 2 strokes and 4 cycle hybrids, it's not the amount of oil. It's what's in the oil that counts. Basically put, Amsoil puts more anti-friction modifiers into their oil than almost anybody else.

Yet somebody was complaining that their equipment was running too hot.

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 08:10 AM
Since using Stihl white bottle at 50:1 I have not changed a spark plug or cleaned a screen, I did just recently take my screens out after adjusting valves for no other reason than to remove them...they were clean. I just recently changed the plug on my BG85 after 6 years of use at home and on jobs...it was still running when I changed it...I had the thing apart to rebuild carb.

I don't believe all the hype from oil companies. To each his own.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 08:14 AM
I agree that chrome cylinder bores/chrome rings allow you to push the envelope with oil, I'm just not one to do it.

Using Stihl white bottle at 50:1 I see a puff of smoke when starting with choke on that's it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
10-05-2010, 08:36 AM
Ya so oil is oil
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I know this is a dead horse issue as it's been beaten more than a dozen times since I've been on this site, but, I feel the opti-2 and amsoil is superior in terms of equipment longevity, cost, smoke out-put (never smokes even at startup), and ease as I don't have multiple gas cans lying around for all the different machines.

In the terms of heat, I used to run my old FS66 with the opti and when I would run my tiller head on it, or the hedge trimmer attachment, I'd get the motor screaming sometimes when running full throttle, and never had an issue.

Personally, I think anyone who hasn't tried them is being a bit bull-headed, and they are missing out on using a quality product.

Like I said earlier, I've used opti for five years without any engine failure on anything. Before that I used it when working with a larger mowing out-fit and never once did any of the 5 trimmers die due to engine wear.

punt66
10-05-2010, 09:40 AM
I know this is a dead horse issue as it's been beaten more than a dozen times since I've been on this site, but, I feel the opti-2 and amsoil is superior in terms of equipment longevity, cost, smoke out-put (never smokes even at startup), and ease as I don't have multiple gas cans lying around for all the different machines.

In the terms of heat, I used to run my old FS66 with the opti and when I would run my tiller head on it, or the hedge trimmer attachment, I'd get the motor screaming sometimes when running full throttle, and never had an issue.

Personally, I think anyone who hasn't tried them is being a bit bull-headed, and they are missing out on using a quality product.

Like I said earlier, I've used opti for five years without any engine failure on anything. Before that I used it when working with a larger mowing out-fit and never once did any of the 5 trimmers die due to engine wear.

I have never lost an engine on Dino. :drinkup:

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 09:46 AM
Its not being bull headed, running less oil (half as much) than suggested by the manufacturer goes against everything I have known.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Its not being bull headed, running less oil (half as much) than suggested by the manufacturer goes against everything I have known.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bull headed might have been a little harsh...

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It's just a matter of personal perspective.

I think that the new synthetics for cars run into the same problem. Who is ballsy enough to spend the extra money on synthetic motor oil and then wait 7k-10k before you change your oil. My only concern would be the oil filter loosing it's capabilities after 3k on the oil.

The proof has been in the pudding for me, I'll never go back to Dino 2 cycle oil. Once I forgot my gas can and bought some dino 2 cylce oil to finish out the day. I didn't realize how horrible the stuff was until I went back to it. As soon as the day was done I dumped that can into my truck to get rid of it.

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I didn't take it as you being harsh btw.

When equipment is such a high upfront cost, why would anyone want to risk destroying it by using less oil?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 10:10 AM
Until Amsoil builds engines I will use what Stihl suggests.
Posted via Mobile Device

LawnTamer
10-05-2010, 10:13 AM
For me, it's the smell. If I run my handhelds using the regular 50:1, I will smell like burnt 2 cycle oil all day. I hate that smell. Running the Amsoil at 80:1, I don't get the smoke, or the smell.

ajslands
10-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

That's why I don't want to use it.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Of course I don't believe all the hype about Seafoam either...just another high priced additive in a cool looking metal can designed to give the buyer the placebo effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Until Amsoil builds engines I will use what Stihl suggests.
Posted via Mobile Device

Doesn't Amsoil and Opti have a warranty if you use their oil?

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
I'm not sure...just like any other warranty I am sure its on their terms if so.
Posted via Mobile Device

BBOWL
10-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I found out this past weekend that my local Lowe's Home Improvement store sells Opti 2 in the one gallon mix packets. The brand name is Arnold but it is made by Interlube (Opti-2).

ajslands
10-05-2010, 11:41 AM
Of course I don't believe all the hype about Seafoam either...just another high priced additive in a cool looking metal can designed to give the buyer the placebo effect.
Posted via Mobile Device

I do disagree with that statement though, because I use it all the time And you can tell when it is going through the engine
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
10-05-2010, 12:30 PM
I do disagree with that statement though, because I use it all the time And you can tell when it is going through the engine
Posted via Mobile Device

Yea, i use it to decarbon my outboards. It does work.

Alan0354
10-05-2010, 02:56 PM
Amsoil 60:1 for me. Still less oil than 50:1 so shouldn't have more carbon than 50:1. YET I can be assured that I have enough oil even if the carb lean out for what ever reason.

LawnTamer
10-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Seafoam is awesome. Can't tell you how many times I have used it to great effect.

Alan0354
10-05-2010, 04:15 PM
SeaFoam does magic for little engines.

rwaters
10-05-2010, 06:53 PM
SeaFoam does magic for little engines.

Yes as long as you know how to use it and do not expect a miracle. Basically if you have a carbon problem it might help. If you pour seafoam into a junk engine it is still a junk engine.

The mayor
10-05-2010, 07:24 PM
We only run amsoil. We have a trimmer that is over ten years old and still on the same spark plug. This trimmer sees one property that has a fence line that is over 1 mile long. We run at 100 to 1. I will stick to what works.

jackson1
10-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Opti in the one gallon packs mixed to spects is 70 something to one.The 2.5 gallon packs is 100:1

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 08:42 PM
http://www.google.com/m?q=is+seafoam+a+placebo
Posted via Mobile Device

mattfromNY
10-05-2010, 08:57 PM
Amsoil 100:1 for the last 3 years in all 2 cycle engines (trimmers, hedge trimmers, snow blowers, backpack blowers, chainsaws...) made by Stihl, Husky, Echo and Toro... Not one problem with any of them in temperatures ranging from -10 below in winter to high 90's in summer. Just my add to the original posters question whether 100:1 works or not.

slawn
10-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Amsoil 80:1 for me, all I will use now. Good stuff:cool2:

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 11:07 PM
My uncle is an Amsoil dealer, I get my Amsoil from him. He said for commercial applications its 80:1 and 100:1 is for residential use. I run it at 80:1 it made my trimmer scream, and the exhaust smells sweet, like fruity idk its a weird effect but I like it.

doublesharp
10-05-2010, 11:29 PM
Amsoil at 80 to 1 for the past 10 years, even in an old Tecumseh that specifies 25:1.

Pennington Lawncare
10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Guys, most of the time that a trimmer's engine is running the engine itself is not under much load. It's not like something has a grip around the head of the trimmer and is giving it a lot of resistance. You'd have to be weedeating hay to really put the engine under much load at all.

Contrast that with a chainsaw. When you sink your chainsaw into a thick log and the engine is under real load then that will test how good your oil really is and Amsoil Saber has been run by commercial logging outfits and survived with little engine wear and a lot less carbon deposits.

When I first started running Amsoil Saber the main thing I noticed was that my trimmer no longer had oil coming out of the muffler of the trimmer and the exhaust smell wasn't all over the clothes of my trimmer guy. That alone sold me on Amsoil Saber. Not to mention that it's probably actually cheaper than non-synthetic 50:1 oil. Just try Amsoil Saber one time and make up your mind after that, otherwise quit with all the whining doubters.

punt66
10-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Guys, most of the time that a trimmer's engine is running the engine itself is not under much load. It's not like something has a grip around the head of the trimmer and is giving it a lot of resistance. You'd have to be weedeating hay to really put the engine under much load at all.

Contrast that with a chainsaw. When you sink your chainsaw into a thick log and the engine is under real load then that will test how good your oil really is and Amsoil Saber has been run by commercial logging outfits and survived with little engine wear and a lot less carbon deposits.

When I first started running Amsoil Saber the main thing I noticed was that my trimmer no longer had oil coming out of the muffler of the trimmer and the exhaust smell wasn't all over the clothes of my trimmer guy. That alone sold me on Amsoil Saber. Not to mention that it's probably actually cheaper than non-synthetic 50:1 oil. Just try Amsoil Saber one time and make up your mind after that, otherwise quit with all the whining doubters.

whining? Only 1 here whining! ^

ajslands
10-06-2010, 08:45 AM
Just checked with my dealer about this, if you use this in your engine, it voids all the warrenties.
That being said, i will never use 100:1 mix.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mike Blevins
10-06-2010, 08:50 AM
I switched from redmax 2 stroke oil to Amzoil this spring. Great stuff.

ajslands
10-06-2010, 08:54 AM
I'll be using 25:1 long before I use 100:1
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-06-2010, 08:56 AM
25:1? Holy cow! That's rich!
Posted via Mobile Device

ajslands
10-06-2010, 08:58 AM
25:1? Holy cow! That's rich!
Posted via Mobile Device

I use 50:1 now, I was just trying to make a point that I will never use 100:1
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
10-06-2010, 11:57 AM
I use 50:1 now, I was just trying to make a point that I will never use 100:1
Posted via Mobile Device

okay, so what? 80:1 Amsoil is boss.

Alan0354
10-06-2010, 01:05 PM

So what ratio you use with Amsoil on your saw?

Pennington Lawncare
10-06-2010, 02:45 PM
80:1 is what I used last season in all my 2 stroke equipment and about mid-summer and I finally started going about 95:1 just in case my measurement cup was a drip or two off.

cgaengineer
10-06-2010, 02:53 PM
80:1 is what I used last season in all my 2 stroke equipment and about mid-summer and I finally started going about 95:1 just in case my measurement cup was a drip or two off.

Good idea since a drip one way or the other means engine runs or engine seizes.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
10-06-2010, 04:46 PM

so you went leaner instead of richer?! HAHAHAHAHA

Capemay Eagle
10-06-2010, 04:59 PM
Amsoil Saber 80:1 in everything.

h2oskier
10-06-2010, 05:06 PM
You mean i was suppose to be running oil in my 2 stroke stuff:laugh::laugh::laugh:i thought it was suppose to be half gas half diesel. Damn that explains the blue smoke.:dizzy:

yardguy28
10-06-2010, 05:15 PM
i just buy the stihl oil from my dealer. dump the whole container in with 2 gallon's of gas and i'm good to go.

before that i just used some stuff at lowes that said it works for any ratio.

i really don't find oil/gas mixing rocket science. and i don't share in anyones opinion on using the better brands of oil.

i'd still be using the cheap stuff if it weren't for that new trimmer i bought this year that has to have fully synth. so i just run that stuff in all my stihl equipment.

gonna use the cheap stuff for my snow blowers.

bradseabridge
10-06-2010, 05:23 PM
it's all cheap. I can get a quart of amsoil saber for $14 and at 80:1 it lasts FOREVER that's pretty friggen cheap.

Pennington Lawncare
10-06-2010, 07:25 PM
You can buy it directly from www.amsoil.com and it may be cheaper than that with the shipping charges included.

bradseabridge
10-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Yeah I meant to say I got two quarts for that price.

yardguy28
10-06-2010, 08:34 PM
IMO oil is oil. i don't care what anyone says.........

i'll stick with stihl stuff the dealer told me i needed for the trimmer i bought and use the cheap stuff from lowes in my snow blowers.

like i said, if it weren't for that trimmer i'd still be using the cheap stuff from lowes in my stihl equipment.

h2oskier
10-06-2010, 09:10 PM
IMO oil is oil. i don't care what anyone says.........

i'll stick with stihl stuff the dealer told me i needed for the trimmer i bought and use the cheap stuff from lowes in my snow blowers.

like i said, if it weren't for that trimmer i'd still be using the cheap stuff from lowes in my stihl equipment.

Reminds me of the commercial, motor oils motor oil:laugh::laugh::laugh:hey if your feeling really adventurous try cooking oil

cgaengineer
10-06-2010, 09:16 PM
Reminds me of the commercial, motor oils motor oil:laugh::laugh::laugh:hey if your feeling really adventurous try cooking oil

Don't laugh, I have used cooking oil for chain lube in my Stihl 034...works in a pinch.
Posted via Mobile Device

h2oskier
10-06-2010, 09:34 PM
Don't laugh, I have used cooking oil for chain lube in my Stihl 034...works in a pinch.
Posted via Mobile Device

You ever tried Crisco:laugh:

cgaengineer
10-06-2010, 10:22 PM
You ever tried Crisco:laugh:

No, but I suppose it would work...you just have to dip the bar in a vat! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Andyshine77
10-08-2010, 03:28 AM
The results of running 100:1 are clear to me, It's simply not enough oil. Some argue chainsaws are normally under heavier load than say a trimmer, so 100:1 mix will work fine. This may be true, however this is also admitting Amsoil at 100:1 has little to margin for error, or even heavy use. This says a lot.

I've also seen the inside of engines ran on Amsoil at 100:1 I cannot in good faith recommend running any mix at 100:1 I don't care who makes the oil.

Results of running Amsoil @ 100:1. You can find the pics in this old thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=320698

Richard Martin
10-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Andy, your whole argument falls apart on this post that you made in that thread...

"The Stihl 4-mix engines are currently being tested at 80:1 with Stihl ultra oil, so far so good. However this is with low revving 4 cycle engines, not high revving 2 cycle engines"

The Stihl 4 Mix engines turn well in excess of the usual around 10,000 RPM that most handheld 2 strokes turn. The exceptions are the 4 Mix blower engines which turn under 10,000 RPM due to the the impeller.

I have many 2 stroke and 2 4 Mix engines that continue to be run successfully on Amsoil at 80:1. They run day after day, year after year. There are many other users just in this thread alone that have the same results.

You show one single example of failure that you attribute to Amsoil at 100:1. Are you sure you put oil in the fuel at all?

You also claim that this engine must be running very rich. Is that true of all of my engines as well as every one of the engines that run forever on Amsoil at 80:1?

BTW, these pics are not of a 4 Mix engine. They are from a FC75 engine with a whole lot of years on it, the huge majority of which were using Amsoil at 80:1. It has easily had hundreds of gallons of 80:1 run through it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105506&d=1207569726

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105505&d=1207569684

jkilov
10-08-2010, 01:14 PM
Longest service I ever got from any 2-stroke was a Shindy T-270 ran on 1:40 fuel mix.

yardguy28
10-08-2010, 09:45 PM
i don't really understand why this topic is such a debated topic in the first place.

it's simple. just follow what it says in the manuel.

Alan0354
10-08-2010, 10:03 PM
i don't really understand why this topic is such a debated topic in the first place.

The whole arguement started when Amsoil and Opti advertized that they are good for 100:1 and Amsoil claimed they will warranty the equipment if engine failure is caused by their oil.

I like Amsoil but I am not taking the chance. I use 60:1 no matter what other people said!!! Amsoil is such a good oil, it should not have more deposit than any other oil used at 50:1.

yardguy28
10-08-2010, 11:17 PM
i guess that claim just doesn't convince me. i'm set on following what the manual says. if the manual says to run amsoil at 100:1 then i will, but until then it's what the manual says.

i guess something as oil/gas mix seems so simple to me. i just buy the stihl oil and add it to my 2 gallons of gas. i'm done. no measuring amounts or anything. pour the bottle in the gas can, add the gas, give it a little shake and i'm good to go.

cgaengineer
10-09-2010, 12:37 AM
I don't care how good the oil is...even 50:1 is lean when you think about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alan0354
10-09-2010, 12:55 AM
I don't care how good the oil is...even 50:1 is lean when you think about it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can't say it any better. That's why I intentionally choose Amsoil that designed for 100:1 and use it at 60:1 ( I think it's a generous 60:1) to stay close to the recommended ratio. I can tell you, at this ratio, I have little oil in the air filter and slightly wet inside the muffler. The piston has a light coat of oil and the plug is slightly wet. I really think that is a sign of enough oil.

I think anything over 60:1 with Amsoil is over doing it.

cgaengineer
10-09-2010, 01:17 AM

Err...under doing it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lehighlawnpros
10-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Using Amsoil Saber at about 75:1 in all my Kawasaki two-cycle equipment for more than two years with no problems.
I put a lot of hours on my line trimmers. I agree that the exhaust is much less bothersome when using the synthetic oil.

Richard Martin
10-09-2010, 05:19 AM
I guess it all comes down to why you choose to use Amsoil or any other lean mix oil. For me, I was having problems with ports plugging and oil coming out of the exhaust. I also had to have different mixes. If I ran my equipment at full throttle all of the time it would never have been a problem with the ports and oil dribbling.

I said something to my Stihl dealer about it and he recommended Amsoil at 80:1. At the time the only pieces of Stihl equipment I had was the edger and BR400 blower. I asked him if would warranty all of my equipment including my Shindaiwa trimmers and he said yes. I told him I wasn't interested in fighting with Amsoil over a warranty on old equipment that hadn't been run on Amsoil before and he personally guaranteed me no damage would occur and said he would repair anything that got damaged due to the lean oil himself. I've been sold every since.

Since then I have not cleaned a port or even removed an exhaust screen. I've also not had a single oil related failure. I use one mix for all of my equipment. When a neighbor comes looking for a little gas for their trimmers they get the same fuel/oil mix out of the same can that I use. Their usual response to using the lean mix is a remark about how well their equipment ran and if they can get some more.

I'm not trying to sell Amsoil here. I don't care if you guys don't use it. I'm only recalling my own experiences with Amsoil. When you guys come in here and say it can't work I have a hard time just walking away from that. It does work, plain and simple.

Mike Blevins
10-09-2010, 07:33 AM
I guess it all comes down to why you choose to use Amsoil or any other lean mix oil. For me, I was having problems with ports plugging and oil coming out of the exhaust. I also had to have different mixes. If I ran my equipment at full throttle all of the time it would never have been a problem with the ports and oil dribbling.

I said something to my Stihl dealer about it and he recommended Amsoil at 80:1. At the time the only pieces of Stihl equipment I had was the edger and BR400 blower. I asked him if would warranty all of my equipment including my Shindaiwa trimmers and he said yes. I told him I wasn't interested in fighting with Amsoil over a warranty on old equipment that hadn't been run on Amsoil before and he personally guaranteed me no damage would occur and said he would repair anything that got damaged due to the lean oil himself. I've been sold every since.

Since then I have not cleaned a port or even removed an exhaust screen. I've also not had a single oil related failure. I use one mix for all of my equipment. When a neighbor comes looking for a little gas for their trimmers they get the same fuel/oil mix out of the same can that I use. Their usual response to using the lean mix is a remark about how well their equipment ran and if they can get some more.

I'm not trying to sell Amsoil here. I don't care if you guys don't use it. I'm only recalling my own experiences with Amsoil. When you guys come in here and say it can't work I have a hard time just walking away from that. It does work, plain and simple.

I agree Amzoil works and it works well. to each their own. But for me I have tried the others and its Amzoil for all of my 2 stroke equipment.

bradseabridge
10-09-2010, 12:17 PM

I don't know about you but I don't take instructions from Mexicans.

bradseabridge
10-09-2010, 12:18 PM
Can't say it any better. That's why I intentionally choose Amsoil that designed for 100:1 and use it at 60:1 ( I think it's a generous 60:1) to stay close to the recommended ratio. I can tell you, at this ratio, I have little oil in the air filter and slightly wet inside the muffler. The piston has a light coat of oil and the plug is slightly wet. I really think that is a sign of enough oil.

You do know the higher the first number the leaner the gas oil mix is right?

Alan0354
10-09-2010, 12:32 PM
You do know the higher the first number the leaner the gas oil mix is right?

Of cause!!! Like 2.6oz to a gallon for 50:1, 4oz to a gallon for 32:1 etc.

Alan0354
10-09-2010, 12:35 PM

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Hey, watch out, you might hurt their little feeling!!! Did you hear Whitman's maid..............."Maid has feelings too!!!" !!! So is mexican LCOs!!!!

:p :p :p :laughing:

White Gardens
10-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Great Post Rich.

I do understand that with any 80:1, 100:1 mix is a complete psychological barrier to overcome when people have done it by the book for years and years.

I don't have that barrier, but I can understand it from the new synthetic oil for vehicles. I just started doing 8k oil changes with synthetic oil in my wife's new car, and it still scares me just a shade.

Alan0354
10-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Great Post Rich.

I do understand that with any 80:1, 100:1 mix is a complete psychological barrier to overcome when people have done it by the book for years and years.

I don't have that barrier, but I can understand it from the new synthetic oil for vehicles. I just started doing 8k oil changes with synthetic oil in my wife's new car, and it still scares me just a shade.

I'll let you do the experiment first, I still do 5K with synthetic. I used to do 3K for dino. Both my 90 and 91 car that is over 200K still purring like a kitty. BTW, I change transmission oil every 10K, still going great..............20 years old!!!!

White Gardens
10-09-2010, 01:03 PM
I'll let you do the experiment first, I still do 5K with synthetic. I used to do 3K for dino. Both my 90 and 91 car that is over 200K still purring like a kitty. BTW, I change transmission oil every 10K, still going great..............20 years old!!!!

I have a 2001 S-10 (210,000 miles), and a 2001 3500 HD (25,000).

Basically the thinking is now with motors being built with better alloys, milled to tighter specs, etc... is that the synthetics work excellent in them.

They are even saying that any general use passenger vehicle can go up to 5k on oil changes with conventional oil.

Some guys are even saying you can get 10k on an oil change on synthetics, but my only concern is the filter loosing optimum flow in that many miles.

I have no problems using it in my wife's 07 vehicle, but I am hesitant to take the jump and use synthetics in my work vehicles. I don't think they are quite new enough to feel comfortable with it. If they were 05's and higher I wouldn't hesitate.

Will P.C.
10-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I own a 2 stoke blower, trimmer, and Hedge Trimmer all Stihl.

It is quite simple for me. I run the Stihl oil. I change the spark plugs, air filters, and fuel filters (if applicable) at the end of each season.

The Stihl HS-45 seems to blow too much oil out of the muffler for some reason. I can always smell it really thick, and it gets all over my shirts. I would be up for trying Amsoil in in, but at a ratio of at least 50-60:1.

I will talk to my master mechanics and see what they say. Real smart guys whom both have engineer degrees from Vandy. They never make a big deal of 'hype', and always shoot straight

yardguy28
10-09-2010, 05:05 PM

i run all my stihl equipment at full throttle all the time. except trimmers when i'm around vehicles and in areas that i would be prone to throwing something with the trimmer and breaking something or someone. my dealer advised i run everything full throttle.

i don't give out my oil/gas mix or even my straight gas to anyone. since it's a business expense and it's better oil than i would put in any homeowner piece of equipment i keep it to myself.

i remember once these kids came over to me and asked if they could have some gas because there car ran out. i could see the car from where i was standing. i told them i was out myself. i had 2 full gas cans on the trailer.

i don't care who wrote the manual. i do what the manual the dealer says. most of the time the dealer has told me exactly what the manual has said.

it's worked great for me so far. if it aint broke don't fix it. so i have no reason to be switching to amsoil.

h2oskier
10-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Any more amsoil plugs would be greatly appreciated:laugh::laugh::laugh:

bradseabridge
10-09-2010, 08:39 PM
i don't care who wrote the manual. i do what the manual the dealer says. most of the time the dealer has told me exactly what the manual has said.

it's worked great for me so far. if it aint broke don't fix it. so i have no reason to be switching to amsoil.

I just busting on you for the way your wrote MANUEL.:laugh::laugh:

yardguy28
10-09-2010, 08:50 PM
I just busting on you for the way your wrote MANUEL.:laugh::laugh:

whooops........didn't even notice it.......:drinkup:

Andyshine77
10-11-2010, 05:59 PM
Andy, your whole argument falls apart on this post that you made in that thread...

"The Stihl 4-mix engines are currently being tested at 80:1 with Stihl ultra oil, so far so good. However this is with low revving 4 cycle engines, not high revving 2 cycle engines"

The Stihl 4 Mix engines turn well in excess of the usual around 10,000 RPM that most handheld 2 strokes turn. The exceptions are the 4 Mix blower engines which turn under 10,000 RPM due to the the impeller.

I have many 2 stroke and 2 4 Mix engines that continue to be run successfully on Amsoil at 80:1. They run day after day, year after year. There are many other users just in this thread alone that have the same results.

You show one single example of failure that you attribute to Amsoil at 100:1. Are you sure you put oil in the fuel at all?

You also claim that this engine must be running very rich. Is that true of all of my engines as well as every one of the engines that run forever on Amsoil at 80:1?

BTW, these pics are not of a 4 Mix engine. They are from a FC75 engine with a whole lot of years on it, the huge majority of which were using Amsoil at 80:1. It has easily had hundreds of gallons of 80:1 run through it.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105506&d=1207569726

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=105505&d=1207569684

Rich you have your opinion and that's fine, 4-mix engines run slower and cooler than 2 cycle engines, this is a simple fact. Besides the valve issues the early Stihl 4-mix engines had, they are nearly indestructible, I've seen them run for hours and hours on straight gas before locking up, a 2 cycle engine wouldn't last a few minutes. You simply can not compare the two.

Stihl did testing running 4-mix engines with Ultra at 80:1 in a controlled environment and they did fine, but one batch of fuel with too much alcohol and it would be game over, this is why Stihl doesn't recommend lean mix.

Yes It had oil in the fuel Amsoil Saber 100:1. It's the only example I have pics of.

If you were having issues with ports plugging and oil coming out of the exhaust, you were running the engine dog rich, or at part throttle, the oil had nothing to do with the problem. This shows you lack the understanding of how these engines even work IMHO.

Like I said Rich run what you like, but I and every manufacture can't recommend running these lean oil mixes.:drinkup:

Richard Martin
10-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Rich you have your opinion and that's fine, 4-mix engines run slower and cooler than 2 cycle engines, this is a simple fact.

If you were having issues with ports plugging and oil coming out of the exhaust, you were running the engine dog rich, or at part throttle, the oil had nothing to do with the problem. This shows you lack the understanding of how these engines even work IMHO.

I've tached 4 Mixes with the same tach that I use on my 2 strokes. The 4 Mix engines bury the tach at 10,000 RPM and keep on going. The 2 strokes stop just short of 10,000 RPM.

You also only read what you want to reply to. I clearly wrote in this very thread:

"If I ran my equipment at full throttle all of the time it would never have been a problem with the ports and oil dribbling."

I knew exactly what the problem was. And the solution was to either run the trimmers at full throttle or switch to a leaner mix. Since I am more worried about providing a quality service to my customers than burning their grass to the dirt I chose to use the lean mix. Almost 10 years now and I've had ZERO issues with either the lean mix or 10% gasahol.

rain man
10-11-2010, 07:57 PM
Read this thread and the referenced thread, good information.

Richard Martin
10-11-2010, 08:53 PM
It's a great debate and we are somehow doing it in an adult fashion.

White Gardens
10-11-2010, 09:10 PM
It's a great debate and we are somehow doing it in an adult fashion.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. It's gotten a little tepid, but nothing out of hand.

cgaengineer
10-11-2010, 09:11 PM
Honestly the faster the trimmer is spinning the better the quality of cut from what I have experienced...especially with bermuda lawns.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
10-11-2010, 11:23 PM
pwned......

Richard Martin
10-12-2010, 01:54 AM
Honestly the faster the trimmer is spinning the better the quality of cut from what I have experienced...especially with bermuda lawns.

You use a correct speed for different conditions. Wide open doesn't fit into too many of my jobs.

Andyshine77
10-12-2010, 02:33 AM
I've tached 4 Mixes with the same tach that I use on my 2 strokes. The 4 Mix engines bury the tach at 10,000 RPM and keep on going. The 2 strokes stop just short of 10,000 RPM.

You also only read what you want to reply to. I clearly wrote in this very thread:

"If I ran my equipment at full throttle all of the time it would never have been a problem with the ports and oil dribbling."

I knew exactly what the problem was. And the solution was to either run the trimmers at full throttle or switch to a leaner mix. Since I am more worried about providing a quality service to my customers than burning their grass to the dirt I chose to use the lean mix. Almost 10 years now and I've had ZERO issues with either the lean mix or 10% gasahol.

I did misread your post, that seems to happen more and more these days lol.

I think you may have an older tach they don't always read correctly with today's ignition coils, and most tach's read up to 20,000 rpm. All the 4 mix engines I've tested run at about 8,000 rpm.

Like I've said you've had good luck with 100:1 mix, but I can not recommend it and I see no reason to run 100:1 anyway, particularity in larger cc high output engines.:)

LarryF
12-01-2011, 11:04 PM
I realize that being a homeowner I'm in the wrong forum, but I hope you will humor me and provide an answer to my question. Even though I'm not a pro, I have a number of 2-cycle machines --- 2 Redmax blowers, a Stihl string trimmer, a Stihl mini cultivator, a Shindaiwa hedge trimmer and a Husqvarna chain saw. The requirements for all specify 50:1 for the gas-oil mixture, and that's what I've always done using Stihl 2-cycle oil for all of them for the last couple of years. But since so many of you pros seem to prefer Amsoil, I've been thinking of doing likewise. But this 100:1 mix that some are using makes me wonder where that idea came from. Can anyone tell me? Also, now that I've identified my 2-cycle machines, which Amsoil product do you recommend I buy?

Pennington Lawncare
12-02-2011, 02:21 AM

This is what we use and if you are worried in the least then mix it at 80:1 instead of 100:1

Alan0354
12-02-2011, 03:09 AM
I realize that being a homeowner I'm in the wrong forum, but I hope you will humor me and provide an answer to my question. Even though I'm not a pro, I have a number of 2-cycle machines --- 2 Redmax blowers, a Stihl string trimmer, a Stihl mini cultivator, a Shindaiwa hedge trimmer and a Husqvarna chain saw. The requirements for all specify 50:1 for the gas-oil mixture, and that's what I've always done using Stihl 2-cycle oil for all of them for the last couple of years. But since so many of you pros seem to prefer Amsoil, I've been thinking of doing likewise. But this 100:1 mix that some are using makes me wonder where that idea came from. Can anyone tell me? Also, now that I've identified my 2-cycle machines, which Amsoil product do you recommend I buy?

Do 64:1. I use like that and now I even move closer to 50:1!!!! There is no reason why you can't use Amsoil in 50:1 if you want to. People have no problem at 80:1 so..................

LarryF
12-02-2011, 10:26 AM

This is what we use and if you are worried in the least then mix it at 80:1 instead of 100:1

Do 64:1. I use like that and now I even move closer to 50:1!!!! There is no reason why you can't use Amsoil in 50:1 if you want to. People have no problem at 80:1 so..................

Thanks to both of you. I had looked for Amsoil before, but none of the stores I usually visit had it. But by looking at the Amsoil web site since receiving the above posts, it looks like there are few dealers (at least where I live) and the company actually seems to favor direct sales. But it did have a dealer-location page and I found one place near me by using that web site, but it's not a store, just a retired cop who sells the product as sort of a side line to supplement his pension. Sounded like a nice guy but not too knowledgeable about the product line and doesn't have the Amsoil Saber in stock. But he ordered a quart for me and he'll have it in next week. I saw on that website that there are two oils named Saber (Professional and Outboard). I think I'll call him again to make sure he ordered the right one.