PDA

View Full Version : smart phone apps

boonehockey
10-04-2010, 08:47 PM
I got a fancy new smart phone, so what kinda applications do you find useful.

ajslands
10-04-2010, 09:07 PM
I have the iPhone, and I have accuweather, radaracope, and some sprinkler app and then I use the email app too.
Posted via Mobile Device

lawnman_scott
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
I dont get into the apps too much. I have office to go which is basically microsoft office, and other than that I have a small computer that can get emails from and i can look at the net. On top of all that it plays a few games and has a built in telephone, what more do ya need.

stevenf
10-05-2010, 11:57 AM
Weather bug, easy tether for mobile laptop internet, quicknotes for reminders, HP iprint for wireless printing straight from my phone, pdf viewer to open emailed files, Google maps, and navigation for free gps.
The list goes on. Can't live without my phone now a days.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mickhippy
10-05-2010, 07:17 PM
I use weather radar, google maps, a new nav app with speech, camera, calculator, Clock (stopwatch) and Calendar for every day business.

Other none business apps I use all the time are Guitar Toolkit, Hurley Surf, Remote for playing music on my macbook and Shazam.

Im with Steven above, couldnt live without iphone.

Roger
10-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Not quite a smart phone for me yet, but iTouch since the beginning of the season. My primary app is ToDo. I've scheduled all my work with three lists: Lawn, Work, Personal. Lawn is regular visits, one-time shots, etc., anything associated with providing a service for a customer. Work are odd tasks that need done, or one-time reminders for tasks related to the business, not customer related. Personal is just that, birthdays, family, etc.

Let me give you warning about updates. ToDo had an update ready. I downloaded the update, and when it was to be installed on the mobile device, I received a message that the iTouch needed OS 4.xx. I ignored the message, and decided that I could do that on a "rainy day." Well, the update for ToDo wiped out my current app copy, then decided it couldn't update because of the iTouch OS. My app was gone, along with all the data! No trace of anything. Ouch!

I downloaded the OS update -- almost two hours on FIOS, then another hour to get the update processed and sent to the iTouch. Then I downloaded the update for ToDo. But, it was a totally new install. In other words, I was left without anything, except a virgin ToDo app.

I did make a backup to Toodle, but a few weeks ago. I was able to bring that down, but I lost six weeks worth of inputs to my ToDo app.

I share this as a warning. If an update is available, be sure your OS is ready for the update, then process the update for the app. Maybe my experience is unique.

I use my iTouch for podcasts -- hundreds of podcasts. The Safari helps with Accuweather weather maps, when I can find a WiFi zone that is unlocked. I can find many WiFi zones, but most are blocked. No music, none.