PDA

View Full Version : JDL Rochester MN going out of biz??

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-04-2010, 10:57 PM
Got a letter yesterday stating my local JDL here in So. MN is going out of biz. Called them today and confirmed it. Couldn't believe it, a city of over 100K with lots of big LCO's?? Where are they going to get their products? There is a Reinder's in town but whenever I am there I never see too much action unless it is irrigation related supplies. Is everyone here going to Fleet Farm to buy fert/chems?? I hope they are, so that when I apply quality products, my work stands out...

castlerockmo
10-04-2010, 11:11 PM
JDL closed the Tulsa store too! I hear JDL is hurting, they have cut the staff in half here at the Springfield Missouri store. Its just a matter of time before that one closes.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
10-05-2010, 12:48 AM
They closed a few around here too. I have no close supply of chemicals...its a 30 minute drive for me anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 01:03 AM
I think JDL is just cutting the fat. Didn't they buy out a bunch of Lescos?

The one JDL in Peoria is pretty busy and they supply lots of LCO's in central il.

It's not a surprise though that they are closing some stores, I couldn't get over how many people work in the one in Peoria. Seemed like a lot of waste.

robertsturf
10-05-2010, 10:28 AM
They are closing the Independence, Mo. store too!

Greenery
10-05-2010, 09:20 PM
got a letter yesterday stating my local jdl here in so. Mn is going out of biz. Called them today and confirmed it. Couldn't believe it, a city of over 100k with lots of big lco's?? Where are they going to get their products? There is a reinder's in town but whenever i am there i never see too much action unless it is irrigation related supplies. Is everyone here going to fleet farm to buy fert/chems?? I hope they are, so that when i apply quality products, my work stands out...

good riddance!!!

americanlawn
10-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Same hear. Our local JDL store now looks like a ghost town. Mainly selling "sprinkler heads", etc.

Majority of guys here are buying their fert from Agrium or Zimco.

Our local LESCO used to be busy as heck. Not anymore. I remember getting 3 semi-loads of fert (66 ton) from LESCO that was shipped from Sebring, FL. 1500 miles away, and it was still the best price. :confused:

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 11:10 PM
The JDL in Peoria supplies most of central IL, outside of Chicago, I don't know of any other JDL store.

It's about a 30 minute drive to their store, but, I can call and order anything I need and they'll ship it in 2 days free of any shipping charge.

That might be the only cancellation for you guys who are loosing stores, might want to call the nearest one and see if they'll ship supply's for you.

Greenery
10-05-2010, 11:15 PM
The JDL in Peoria supplies most of central IL, outside of Chicago, I don't know of any other JDL store.

It's about a 30 minute drive to their store, but, I can call and order anything I need and they'll ship it in 2 days free of any shipping charge.

That might be the only cancellation for you guys who are loosing stores, might want to call the nearest one and see if they'll ship supply's for you.

Or better yet find a new vendor nearby.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Or better yet find a new vendor nearby.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh ya, but some guys don't have a good vendor nearby. We have an FS with a custom turf division in Bloomington. Even though I like their products and service, they can't compete against JDL.

Gotta be some re-structuring or something, I was looking at some of the old articles from when JDL bought Lesco and they were talking up and down about not closing stores and letting people go.

Makes me wonder, if Lesco was such a successful, National company, why would they just up a sell like they did. They must of knew their business model wasn't going to work after opening tons of branches, and found a good sucker in JDL.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-06-2010, 12:00 AM
good riddance!!!

Perhaps....
I do have another option in Rochester in Reinders and probably wouldn't go wrong with them (I already buy my 1st rd pre/fert from them).
But I spoke with the Burnsville JDL guy today in person (went to pick up some fert last minute before the Roch location closed up for good). He says a lot of LCO's in Roch were going to co-ops to get their fert and the like.
Doing that sort of thing is almost bush-league. Ag grade products...cmon guys. Must be a lot of lawn jockeys around here. I guess I care too much.

Chilehead
10-06-2010, 12:08 AM
They closed a few around here too. I have no close supply of chemicals...its a 30 minute drive for me anywhere.
Posted via Mobile Device

Which ones closed by you? I usually shop at the Fayetteville location, but if I'm in N.Fulton County I go to the one on McGinnis Ferry Rd.

Ric
10-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Does everyone realize how many times the Big Big Boys in the chemical supply business change ownership. Name changes are only a faction of the buy outs. Lesco was already going down the tubes when JDL bought them.

I would hate to lose my local Lesco/JDL because it is my 7-11 convenience store of Landscape chemicals at convenience store prices. But Looking at the Total picture I can't understand how Lesco/JDL is still in business.

The Store in every town like the 7-11 business model doesn't seem to be working. The Chemical supply business is very competitive and Price factors play a big roll. Lesco charges for the convenience of a local stores. Therefore Lesco/JDL price themselves out of the market. when first new to this business it didn't take me very long to realize Chemical Products are commodities. Apples are apples no matter where you buy them. I save 10 to 25% by dealing with major warehouse suppliers that deliver. Fact is I have never been to my main suppliers Warehouse.

MnLefty
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
Does everyone realize...

There are a lot of things the average LCO doesn't realize about the supply end of the business.

- How many chemical manufacturers have been bought/sold/consolidated
- How many suppliers there might be in their area, just have to look a little harder to find them
- How many fertilizer blends and chemicals are the exact same product manufactured from one source and sold under several different names/brands.
- How few actual manufacturers there are that supply all the different brands.
- How many of the "brand" name manufacturers supply at least the tech material to the "generic" manufacturers, and in some cases the actual finished product.
- How to use the EPA registration number to find out who actually made the product they're using, regardless of what name is on the jug.

Lot's of eye-opening stuff out there. I've worked for 2 national distributors, one being Lesco/JDL both as Lesco and after Deere came in. I will say that there is a whole part of the fert/chem business that even the Lesco/JDL guys don't get to see because the corporate office doesn't let them... manufacturer rebates, competitive match situations between manufacturers etc...

And I'm happy to be back to actually DOING lawn care!

cgaengineer
10-06-2010, 03:00 PM
Which ones closed by you? I usually shop at the Fayetteville location, but if I'm in N.Fulton County I go to the one on McGinnis Ferry Rd.

There was one in Suwanee and I think Athens that closed...Turfnology and JDL in Braselton are my only close choices and they are 30 min away. Suwanee has a place that sells supplies (irrigation and chems) and I forget name but its so far away.

My gripe with JDL is only selling mostly name brand products. I don't need Syngenta products...give me generics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
10-06-2010, 10:18 PM
There was one in Suwanee and I think Athens that closed...Turfnology and JDL in Braselton are my only close choices and they are 30 min away. Suwanee has a place that sells supplies (irrigation and chems) and I forget name but its so far away.

My gripe with JDL is only selling mostly name brand products. I don't need Syngenta products...give me generics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Alot of their house (LESCO) chemicals are good deals. I got a 96 oz. jug of CrossCheck (bifenthrin) for $35.00 and a 2.5 gal. container of Prosecutor (glyphosate) for $60.00 this year.

White Gardens
10-06-2010, 11:27 PM
Perhaps....
I do have another option in Rochester in Reinders and probably wouldn't go wrong with them (I already buy my 1st rd pre/fert from them).
But I spoke with the Burnsville JDL guy today in person (went to pick up some fert last minute before the Roch location closed up for good). He says a lot of LCO's in Roch were going to co-ops to get their fert and the like.
Doing that sort of thing is almost bush-league. Ag grade products...cmon guys. Must be a lot of lawn jockeys around here. I guess I care too much.

Come on now, the ag grade products I get for lawns works better than anything else I've tried, including Lesco's Fert.

But, like I stated, the FS (Farmers Service co-op) has a custom turf division and are the biggest lawn applicators in town. I think they even out-gross TG.

So their fert and seed blends they offer are top notch for the area.

Too bad they don't sell landscaping supplies though.

Ric
10-07-2010, 10:26 AM
Come on now, the ag grade products I get for lawns works better than anything else I've tried, including Lesco's Fert.

But, like I stated, the FS (Farmers Service co-op) has a custom turf division and are the biggest lawn applicators in town. I think they even out-gross TG.

So their fert and seed blends they offer are top notch for the area.

Too bad they don't sell landscaping supplies though.

When will people recognize that Fertilizer is a Commodity and pretty much the same product regardless of the name on the bag. Interesting enough after Lesco sold the Sebring Fla. Plant to Turf Solutions I bought a pallet from the then UHS. 39 bags on the sealed pallet said UHS and one Said LESCO. it was the same run only packaged for different companies. BTW Anderson's is bagging most of Scott's Fertilizer here in Florida.

The Big Difference in Ag Grade Fertilizer is dust or dirt allowed in the bag. This Powder or dust is just smaller particles of the fertilizer and when applied break down quicker. These are removed by screening horticulture grade fertilizer. The weight loss is the reason for the price increase along with the fact Ag buys tons of fert for every bag of Horticulture.

cgaengineer
10-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Ewing chemical is the company in Suwanee I was trying to think about Chiliehead. They have a 10 pound WP prodiamine for $62...that about 1/3 the cost of Barricade acre for acre. The last 2 gallons of Barricade cost me $129.99...under agency pricing, but still more expensive than generic.
Posted via Mobile Device

lilmarvin4064
10-07-2010, 09:20 PM
The Big Difference in Ag Grade Fertilizer is dust or dirt allowed in the bag. This Powder or dust is just smaller particles of the fertilizer and when applied break down quicker. These are removed by screening horticulture grade fertilizer. The weight loss is the reason for the price increase along with the fact Ag buys tons of fert for every bag of Horticulture.

The Ag grade fert I've used in the past was also a lot more flakey and in different shaped granules rather than the round pellets in the turf grade. I remember seeing some flow and segregation issues with this stuff in certain spreaders. But thats probably not that big of an issue in the grand scheme of things. will probably piss off the applicators to some extent.

Chilehead
10-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Ewing chemical is the company in Suwanee I was trying to think about Chiliehead. They have a 10 pound WP prodiamine for $62...that about 1/3 the cost of Barricade acre for acre. The last 2 gallons of Barricade cost me $129.99...under agency pricing, but still more expensive than generic.
Posted via Mobile Device

That's a good deal. I usually go to Ewing for irrigation supplies only. The closest one to me is downtown on Howell Mill Rd.