PDA

View Full Version : Cool Weather Taking a Toll

MOturkey
10-05-2010, 01:26 AM
I only had four yards scheduled to mow today, and ended up skipping three of those until at least the weekend. Temps in the 30's overnight have really slowed things down. Fescue is still growing, although slowly, but bermuda and weeds such as crabgrass are basically done. We also haven't had any rain for almost two weeks, so even though we had a bunch the first part of September, things are starting to dry up.

I'm thinking unless conditions change considerably, I'll go two weeks on most accounts before the next mowing, which will put us up to the latter part of October, when things usally fizzle anyway. Great summer, but it looks like it may end a bit early this year.

Richard Martin
10-05-2010, 05:52 AM
We've kinda had the same situation here. Drought since the beginning of August, huge rain last week and now cooler temps. I really have no idea of where to go from here. Last Oct I was still cutting weekly but I guess I'll just have to play it by ear. One of my customers even tried to tell me she was done for the year the week before last. She did pay for one more cut though and I told her I'd ride by every week and see what it looks like.

Charles
10-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Ya timing of a drought is everything. Ended when grass growth normally slows down. We are in the same boat. 2 month dry spell and then heavy rains followed by chilly temps. Warm season grasses didn't respond to the rain other than turning green. Some weeds are growing. Customers see that and they think the growing season is over. They can put up with a little weeds over the winter. Really would take some hot weather to make the grass grow after such a severe dry spell. That's not going to happen. Days are shorter etc. If the drought had only ended earlier.. I was busy last September and October too. We had heavy rains early in September of last year. This(bad timing) has happened many times before and it will happen again.
I drive around asking people if they want their grass cut. That puts a little pressure on them. Otherwise, they won't call you that is for sure:cry:

JB1
10-05-2010, 08:12 AM
we are in a pocket here where we have never got the big rains yet, and its toast here.

David C.
10-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I only had four yards scheduled to mow today, and ended up skipping three of those until at least the weekend. Temps in the 30's overnight have really slowed things down. Fescue is still growing, although slowly, but bermuda and weeds such as crabgrass are basically done. We also haven't had any rain for almost two weeks, so even though we had a bunch the first part of September, things are starting to dry up.

I'm thinking unless conditions change considerably, I'll go two weeks on most accounts before the next mowing, which will put us up to the latter part of October, when things usally fizzle anyway. Great summer, but it looks like it may end a bit early this year.

Ditto here from the Heart of Dixie!! No rain in September and now its cool---Bermuda, Centipede & St Augustine have all but gone----no weeds to mow either!!

I have just a few of my larger mowing schedules left---fizzling faster this year than last----last year I was mowing late into October with a heavy jacket on

MOturkey
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Ditto here from the Heart of Dixie!! No rain in September and now its cool---Bermuda, Centipede & St Augustine have all but gone----no weeds to mow either!!

I have just a few of my larger mowing schedules left---fizzling faster this year than last----last year I was mowing late into October with a heavy jacket on

I checked my records from last year. I mowed most accounts on a semi-regular basis (stretched some 10 days to 2 weeks) through October and my last day of mowing was November 11! IF we get some rain, along with higher overnight temps, that could happen again, but I'm really thinking we are going to have an earlier transition into winter this year.

coolluv
10-05-2010, 11:15 AM
Ya timing of a drought is everything. Ended when grass growth normally slows down. We are in the same boat. 2 month dry spell and then heavy rains followed by chilly temps. Warm season grasses didn't respond to the rain other than turning green. Some weeds are growing. Customers see that and they think the growing season is over. They can put up with a little weeds over the winter. Really would take some hot weather to make the grass grow after such a severe dry spell. That's not going to happen. Days are shorter etc. If the drought had only ended earlier.. I was busy last September and October too. We had heavy rains early in September of last year. This(bad timing) has happened many times before and it will happen again.
I drive around asking people if they want their grass cut. That puts a little pressure on them. Otherwise, they won't call you that is for sure:cry:

Ditto with my situation as well. Ive gone a month or more on some of my accounts and things are not improving at all. I was thinking beans and franks this winter but it may be Ramen noodles instead.

Dave...

GravyTrain
10-05-2010, 01:58 PM
Same here. I mowed most of my yards this past weekend only because i wasn't going to have time to do them this week. None of them needed edging or trimming and I only knocked down a few weeds that got a little out of hand on most of them.

This will be the first year, assuming things continue like this, that I'll end my season before November. I've been telling customers all year, my last cut will be the first week of November, that has always been true until this year...crazy.

soloscaperman
10-05-2010, 06:42 PM
We are having very odd weather patterns as well. I think were not gonna have a lot of snow days but if we do they will be a foot or higher.

rreyn1812
10-05-2010, 10:49 PM
We've had about 1" of rain last month, none this month, and about 1" in Aug, then this morning we're at about 34 degrees....had about 12 yards to look at today, and mowed 3...looks like I'll move from 4 days of mowing (and leaf cleanup) to 2, work at extra stuff (field cleanups, tree trimming/cutting, and ....?) on 2 days and start taking Friday's off. Tough, hot, dry summer and now this, so it looks like an early year for me too. Hope the extra stuff picks up or I'll be taking 2 days a week off, but getting some rest would be nice, at least for awhile. :):)