PDA

View Full Version : 25 Yr old Dwarf Japanese Maples

jbt79
10-05-2010, 01:35 PM
My uncle has about 10-12 25 yr old Dwarf Japanese Maples he wants to remove and sell. Anyone know about what these trees are worth? I know the Dwarfs are worth a good bit more than the regular ones. Also, when is the best time of year to transplant them. Trees were planted when the house was built 17 yrs ago and were 7 -8 yrs old. He says they were very expensive then. Any help determining the value of these would be very much appreciated. Also if any of you are interested, or have a customer that may be send me a pm. I'm west of Atlanta, GA

All are about the same size: 5-6 ft tall, 6-8 ft spread, 4-5 in trunk Caliper
The ones along the walkway are 4ft tall, 4 ft spread 3-4 in caliper

jbt79
10-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Here are a few more pics

jbt79
10-05-2010, 01:41 PM
Heres the last few pics

OSU 09
10-06-2010, 09:41 PM
As far as pricing goes, i have seen them priced anywhere from $50 to $500. i would check with local nurseries and suppliers to see what they are selling them for. Yours would sell for less since they are "used". (used trees, who knew? lol) Best time to transplant them is when they are dormant. Dig a large root ball then move them balled and burlapped.

P.Services
10-06-2010, 09:53 PM
not even worth messing with, im sure he thinks hes sitting on his retirement fund but any of those can be bought for 300 or less from a nursery. So after you pay to dig them and by supplies to ball and bag them and replace them when they die you might make 50 bucks a tree if that.

P.Services
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
now find me one 15' tall with a 10" trunk and i will give you 10 grand for it.

jbt79
10-07-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks guys for the input. Yeah, thats alot less than we thought. These are the dwarf variety, and are supposed to be rare. P. Services, yeah a 15' tall one would be nice looking, but this variety will never reach that size. These dwarfs are more like a large bonsai. Seen these particular ones used in Japanese gardens before. One hotel here in Atlanta has a couple exactly like these that they paid $10,000 for. These dwarfs are rare, and not the typical Japanese Maples you see, that can get 15 or so feet tall, and are worth a good bit more. Cant find any this age at any nursery to compare them to. Little small ones and grafts are running a few hundred. If anyone else has any input of suggestions, I would appreciate it very much.

starry night
10-07-2010, 12:50 PM
I don't see how you think they are "rare" unless there is something about them you are not mentioning other than that they are dwarf. If they are merely
Acer Palmatum Dissectum, then they are fairly common. Still worth some bucks but probably not as much as you are thinking. My immediate thought looking at the photos was that it was too bad someone has not been training them with pruning. They can be much more artistic than just mounds of leaves as these are.

White Gardens
10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
I don't see how you think they are "rare" unless there is something about them you are not mentioning other than that they are dwarf. If they are merely
Acer Palmatum Dissectum, then they are fairly common. Still worth some bucks but probably not as much as you are thinking. My immediate thought looking at the photos was that it was too bad someone has not been training them with pruning. They can be much more artistic than just mounds of leaves as these are.

Agreed.

You'd be tearing up the landscaping pretty badly too just to get those suckers out with a good root ball.

A tree spade on a skid would be the best bet, and there goes any profit.

bradseabridge
10-07-2010, 05:51 PM
I have a customer with one twice that size and actually trimmed to look very good. They got offered $5k for it from someone about a year ago. But this thing is very large and in very good shape, I take care if it very well to keep is looking good.

P.Services
10-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Buddy you have no clue what your talking about. What the f is a dwarf? Its called a lace leaf jap. About as common as every other tree being any nursery has rows and rows of them. Yes they will get 15 feet tall....in 200 years thus why I said its worth 10 grand. Like I said, you think your sitting on a pot of gold....not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

punt66
10-07-2010, 06:18 PM
Buddy you have no clue what your talking about. What the f is a dwarf? Its called a lace leaf jap. About as common as every other tree being any nursery has rows and rows of them. Yes they will get 15 feet tall....in 200 years thus why I said its worth 10 grand. Like I said, you think your sitting on a pot of gold....not so much.
Posted via Mobile Device

hahah, it is a dwarf. They are common here. They are grafted. You can buy young ones here for 250-600. Old ones are worth thousands. The ones in that pic though are not great. They are not full and dont have much growth for being 25 years old. They grow like an umbrella staying low to the ground.

bradseabridge
10-07-2010, 08:08 PM
yeah what punt said, just read my post on the first page.

punt66
10-07-2010, 08:20 PM
yeah what punt said, just read my post on the first page.

The ones that have full canopies and ar thick with thick 5" trunks will sell for 3g plus if you can find a buyer. I have seen them sell up to 8k. The ones along the path look scraggly and are not worth much more then $500. Its the good specim that fetches the cash.

jbt79
10-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Yeah thanks guys. He is trying to come up with a fair amount of money from them. I dont think they are worth as much as he thinks, but think they are worth a good bit. I know he was offered 5k apiece for a couple of them a few years back, but now the economy isnt what it was then either. The ones along the walk are scraggly, and younger. Wasnt even trying to sell them. A tree spade on a skid was the plan, and no cost for that. Have 5 that do look really good, and are more like 6' tall. Hoping to get 3k apiece or 10k for all 5. Possible?

Johnny test
10-07-2010, 09:36 PM
The green ones are not worth a dime..

The ones that are below waist height are maybe $30.00 each. If they are perfect.. Allot of the value is based on the cultivar. Tamukeyama's are really the only ones the may be worth anything. Like someone else said that's only after the tree reaches 5ft or above. The trunk should be at least 5inches in diameter and that's only if it has been pruned right. It must have the "look" (multiple tiered) and the graft scare must not be noticeable. The bigger the scare the less $$$

Tamukeyama's history goes back over a thousand years.. If you had one ( and they still sell them today)that was say 6ft tall, no noticeable scare, that had three tiers and a 6inch diameter trunk, that was not weeping yet canopied???? Then it could sell to a private party for up to $5000-$15000.

You definitely have none of those in the pics...

Something like the trees below:

Johnny test
10-07-2010, 09:42 PM
I used to sell these trees all day long at the nursery. They were about the size you have only they were perfect color and pruned to perfection. I sold them for 100.00- 150.00 and the customers wreaked out at that price. Believe me, no one is going to break their neck to get what you have there....

Ok, so I looked again and I can't tell if some of them are actually Green Japs or just crimson that are lacking sun. If a Jap Maple is not getting enough sun it will turn green. So if you took some of the larger ones cleaned them up so that they didn't weep (canopied) maybe you could get 50.00 each to some passers by.

bradseabridge
10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Yeah, the one my client has looks just like the one in the picture. It has like an 8in trunk and is about 10 feet high. I let it get a little away from me this summer but I'm going over in a week or two to clean it up. I Have a pic on here somewhere of it. I'll take a picture of it when I get done. Like I said they got offered $5k for it last year, it's a beautiful tree. Non of yours are even close to what this one looks like, I can get what you have at the nursery all day.

White Gardens
10-07-2010, 11:05 PM
My biggest concern would be is how much is it going to cost to rent the skid and spade, and then repair the landscape.

P.Services
10-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Just cut them down and grind the stumps.
Posted via Mobile Device

bradseabridge
10-07-2010, 11:33 PM
HAHAHA LOL! did you even read the post? or are you making a funny?

gunsnroses
10-08-2010, 01:15 AM
I would agree some should come out. For whatever reason they dont look good the way they are planted. Honestly if he is serious......... he should remove some, root prune(depending), put them in a container and nurse them into some amazing looking specimen. Even then I bet he can only keep 2 or 3 alive. Think about it...those have adapted to that exact spot they are planted and will not be happy when you cut a few 1 1/2 inch roots(and you will). So my .02$ is no sane avid gardener will pay for those just dug up and moved.....a person that would pay good $ would more than likely be quite the expert. It needs to be healthy well pruned as others said and in a container. My guess 2 years from now.....possibly 300 bones each for those 2 that end up living. tell us what happens