PDA

View Full Version : New Business

rcksmith
10-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right.
Anyway, a little about me. I had a couple uncles that owned a landscape company that I worked for for 8 years while in High school and while attending classes after high school. That was twenty years ago now though. I say this so ones not to think I just got a truck and a lawn mower and call myself a "landscaper" I have been there, I have done it, I have attended classes.
My point, I recently decided to get back into landscaping and thought it would be best to just try to buy a small company that is established. It didn't take me long to find a guy looking to retire and not looking to become a millionaire off me.
It is small, about 20 residential accounts. I have gone with him the last two days and I cant believe these accounts and the service he has given them... The quality of his work is what I would have expected from an 8th grader looking to make a buck... blows the grass clippings to the curb and leaves them there, I asked if we were going to sweep them up and i found out he doesn't carry hand tools, no broom, no shovels, nothing???
I stocked the truck today with those essentials and after the third house with the owner coming out and complementing the service I wondered how this guy survived?
What is the acceptable clean up procedure? Do you just mow and blow or do you take an extra couple minutes to clean the mess?
Thanks

hackitdown
10-05-2010, 06:15 PM
Hello everyone,
This is my first post so I hope I'm doing this right.
Anyway, a little about me. I had a couple uncles that owned a landscape company that I worked for for 8 years while in High school and while attending classes after high school. That was twenty years ago now though. I say this so ones not to think I just got a truck and a lawn mower and call myself a "landscaper" I have been there, I have done it, I have attended classes.
My point, I recently decided to get back into landscaping and thought it would be best to just try to buy a small company that is established. It didn't take me long to find a guy looking to retire and not looking to become a millionaire off me.
It is small, about 20 residential accounts. I have gone with him the last two days and I cant believe these accounts and the service he has given them... The quality of his work is what I would have expected from an 8th grader looking to make a buck... blows the grass clippings to the curb and leaves them there, I asked if we were going to sweep them up and i found out he doesn't carry hand tools, no broom, no shovels, nothing???
I stocked the truck today with those essentials and after the third house with the owner coming out and complementing the service I wondered how this guy survived?
What is the acceptable clean up procedure? Do you just mow and blow or do you take an extra couple minutes to clean the mess?
Thanks

We blow clipping back into the lawn, we don't sweep them up.

soloscaperman
10-05-2010, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't want his customers. If he is a slob like that either the customer doesn't care or he charges really cheap.

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 06:47 PM
I blow clipping into the street, but it's on the clipping that get shot out the side discharge on the area between the curb and sidewalk. Been doing that for 6 years never one complaint and everyone else does it as well. I don't have time to pick up clippings when I can blow them in to the yard or street. If it's an abnormally large amount of clippings I will sweep them, but that has only happened twice this summer. Picking up clippings is wack, besides my blower can blow them onto the person across the streets curb BAAHAHAHAHA... kidding, I don't do that.. but I could.

I wouldn't want his customers. If he is a slob like that either the customer doesn't care or he charges really cheap.

This too, I would stay away if they are crap lots. The people are probably cheap, nothing worse than a person who is cheap and doesn't care about their lawn, just a big headache.

MOturkey
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
I try to blow most clippings back into the lawn. If that is impractical, I'll blow them into the street, dispersing them as much as possible. After they dry out, they'll scatter to the four winds. I hate to leave big clumps of grass along the curb. Really looks tacky.

yardguy28
10-05-2010, 08:55 PM
i blow the clippings back into the turf. including the one's that are in the street.

not to many guys in my neck of the woods even blow the street curb area or they blow all of there debris there. so i make it my niche to keep that area clean every time i service there property. i get tons of compliments and some actually expect it.

i personally think it is something that should be done by all lco's. i think badly about those i see blowing debris to the curb or in the street and leaving it there.

if there is large debris i either rake or pick it up or i'll blow it first into the turf then mow it up. but i always keep the curb area clean.

93Chevy
10-05-2010, 09:00 PM
i blow the clippings back into the turf. including the one's that are in the street.

not to many guys in my neck of the woods even blow the street curb area or they blow all of there debris there. so i make it my niche to keep that area clean every time i service there property. i get tons of compliments and some actually expect it.

i personally think it is something that should be done by all lco's. i think badly about those i see blowing debris to the curb or in the street and leaving it there.

if there is large debris i either rake or pick it up or i'll blow it first into the turf then mow it up. but i always keep the curb area clean.

Thank you. Really irks me when I see somebody mowing a devil strip and blowing it under the truck and driving away.

"Can't see it from my house"

yardguy28
10-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Thank you. Really irks me when I see somebody mowing a devil strip and blowing it under the truck and driving away.

"Can't see it from my house"

yes it bothers me too.

most of the propertys i service are layed out with the street, then you have the "park strip" then a sidewalk then the actual home owners front lawn. the "park strip" is the responsiblity of the home owner.

when i start my clean up, i start at the street blowing clippings and what dust has accumulated into the "park strip", then i blow off the sidewalk into the front lawn, then up the driveway and if there is anything in back i hit those areas. then i'm done.

too many around here start in the back blowing everything out front into the street. then they just hop in the truck and leave, leaving a mess in the street in front of the property for all the vehicles driving by to blow around.

it also bothers me to see someone doing a commercial property along a highly traveled road, either blowing grass into the street as they are mowing or blowing clippings into the street doing clean up.

the few commercial propertys i have done so far i have always bagged, especially around highly traveled streets.

don't people realize it looks bad to see all those clippings and debris out in the street in front of a residential house or commercial business???

93Chevy
10-05-2010, 09:22 PM
when i start my clean up, i start at the street blowing clippings and what dust has accumulated into the "park strip", then i blow off the sidewalk into the front lawn, then up the driveway and if there is anything in back i hit those areas. then i'm done.

We call them devil strips. "It's a devil to pay if you forget about them" :laugh::laugh::laugh: