PDA

View Full Version : skid steer brushhogs

JCLawn and more
10-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Do they work well, and are they economical for large area's. Thoughts please

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 06:38 PM
Why not a tractor, with a brush cutter attached to the 3point? a lot cheaper, and they can get down right HUGE!

mbrew
10-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I don't have any direct experience with them, but I was watching one work a week or so ago and I wasn't real impressed. Skid Steers tend to rock from the front to the back a lot and with the mower on the front it seemed to be exaggerated. This resulted in a real uneven cut and at times the mower deck was high enough that it really seemed dangerous to me to have it so high with the blades turning.

Just an observation.

bradseabridge
10-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I don't have any direct experience with them, but I was watching one work a week or so ago and I wasn't real impressed. Skid Steers tend to rock from the front to the back a lot and with the mower on the front it seemed to be exaggerated. This resulted in a real uneven cut and at times the mower deck was high enough that it really seemed dangerous to me to have it so high with the blades turning.

Just an observation.

Agreed, like I said tractors with brush cutters are the ****. You can get a relatively small tractor and put a pretty big cutter on the back. If I had any business for field cutting I would get one. People sell their tractors and usually they have the cutter a long with it for pretty cheap. Most of the time people with huge lots or fields on parts of their property will buy the tractor just for the brush cutter. There is one for sale right now by my house for pretty cheap with like a 9 foot cutter on the back.

Junior M
10-05-2010, 06:52 PM
I'd much rather mow large areas with a tractor and bush hog..

But when the area gets rough or its super thick, I'd much rather run the Bobcat and Bush hog.. Plus they do a great job in thick areas compared to a tractor.

shooterm
10-05-2010, 08:47 PM
Big point is you lose the line of sight you get with a tractor platform. Skidloader puts you close to the ground. Also tall grass takes forever to dry out so you'll spin quite abit unless your running tracks. If you do HAVE a CTL its not that bad of a idea.

JCLawn and more
10-05-2010, 11:05 PM
this is all what I thought. I am playing around with skid steer or tractor. I have seen a few brushhogs for a skid steer that ride on the ground, but it would be a rough ride unless you had tracks. I think it would be miserable on a hot dusty day too.

Junior M
10-05-2010, 11:08 PM
move this thread to the Heavy equipment forum, plenty of guys use them there..

And when we bush hog with the T190, we put the bush hog on float unless its really, really rough ground.

Mark Oomkes
10-05-2010, 11:19 PM
Bobcat's Brushcat works great.

Very nice having the deck in front as well, you can get much closer to obstacles.

As for getting hot? That's what AC is for. Did a lot with my old 190, have yet to try it out on my new-to-me 190. Should do great with more HP, one more bogey and JSC controls.