PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Cat Tails....What to use?

JayD
10-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Hi guys,

Does any one know what works for cutting cat tails down? Yes, I did a search but never really saw anything...

I was looking at getting an attachment for one of my trimmers that takes a blade for cutting thick stuff...

Any help?

sehitchman
10-05-2010, 06:51 PM
I've got a Ryobi Expand-it trimmer with the quick attachments just for this kind of job. I put the little triangle brush cutter on it and it saws right through the big stuff around my pond. I picked it up at Discount Tools Outlet for about $80 and if I trip in the mud and water, no real loss. I love the DTO for throw away trimmers and such, and the inexpensive attachments are a plus. Then when someone asks to borrow a tool, they get the Ryobi, funny, as it has worked great with no issues for a couple of years.

heather lawn sp
10-05-2010, 07:01 PM
hedge trimmer attachment on a split boom. We cut through burdock with this.

StihlBR600
10-05-2010, 07:05 PM
I just used a shindawia today with the chain saw type blade on it. I was cutting near the edge of a lake where there was a lot of cat tails and brush up to a half inch thick. It works very well but the blade doesnt stay sharp very long

JayD
10-05-2010, 10:00 PM
hedge trimmer attachment on a split boom. We cut through burdock with this.

Hedge trimmer attachment? I don't think I have ever seen this humm, I'll have to try to look this up to see what it looks like.

Grass Shark
10-05-2010, 10:07 PM
you may want to get some cat nip to make it easier

:laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead:

JayD
10-05-2010, 10:11 PM
you may want to get some cat nip to make it easier

:laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead: :laugh: :hammerhead:

LMAO.....that's funny! I thought about looking for a machete....

knox gsl
10-05-2010, 10:58 PM
If above water a grass blade n your trimmer should work, if below I seen a machine that was like a hegde trimmer but the gear box was on the middle of the bar with 10 foot long shaft connected to a small 5horse engine. It loke like a hammer head shark but mowed down aquatic plants.

integrityman
10-05-2010, 11:00 PM
I use a brush cutting disk that goes under the trimmer spool on my Stihl string trimmer.....Works great. Cat tail will grow back, unless you pull out the root....BTW certain parts of the cat tail are edible!

Grass Shark
10-05-2010, 11:12 PM
be careful sticking a cutter in the water.... you never know what could be under there.... pipe wires etc

unkownfl
10-05-2010, 11:40 PM
They make an underwater saw that runs off a scuba tank a buddy of mine uses it for dock building and removal. I use a line trimmer with the table saw looking blade for cutting small stuff around lakes underwater. Just make sure to grease it up after use.

JayD
10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm sorry guys, I should have gave more detail (no pun intended) to this cat tail job.

They are in a long ditch way but because we have had no rain like for ever, the ditch is very dry, no water.... My dealer told me I should use one of those saw blades that comes with a kit that will let you attach it to on of my trimmers. I think they said to use a 18 teeth blade. I have never used one but seams like it might work.

Wondering if any of you have used this and how it worked.

Sorry again for the lack of detail...

knox gsl
10-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Should work like a champ, just have a good grip on the trimmer.

JayD
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Well, this is what we used and it worked great!

StihlBR600
10-06-2010, 10:49 PM
How much did that cost?

JayD
10-06-2010, 11:42 PM
How much did that cost?

The whole kit was around $50 bucks, comes with blade, kit to adapt to trimmer, and "T" handle with strap witch we never put on. we were in a hurry to get this done on account of the store manager we did this for got a letter from the city if he did not get it cleaned up by tomorrow he would be fined.

It took two of us about four hours from start to finish. One cut while the other racked it into piles then picked up and loaded into trailers.

Wished that i had took more pix.

Escapes Landscape Design
10-07-2010, 01:14 AM
I was told by a company that takes care of that type of stuff that you can wick them with roundup or something like it. So, you actually put on a rubber glove over a regular glove, put some water safe herbicide on it and then take you hand around it at the bottom of the plant and run your hand to the top and that will kill it. What I heard from a company that does prairie and pond restoration only. Just and idea.