PDA

View Full Version : bees

kerr lawn
08-14-2002, 12:07 AM
I got this problem of bees for whatever reason in last 2.5 weeks i have appox. 9 nest that i have to kill because of safety for everyone. These have been all over the place at all different lawns. None of us are allergic so far, but it is getting kinda of annoying having to waste time so we can kill the bees and then do the job that we got to do. I didn't estimate having to kill bees.
Now my question is what do i do about.
Charge the customer for time spent and bug spray?
Next year before the season write in a letter to all the customers that says if you we find a bees nest it will be $xx.xx?
Suck it up, kill them, pay for the spray and live life as i would and stop complaining about the job i was hired to do?

Drinks lots of water and get your sleep at night. Stay safe.

Thank you all very much for your input.
bryan

Brickman
08-14-2002, 12:21 AM
I would talk to the customers and see if you can get them to help with the cost of spray.
My first few years in biz I had the same problem with wasps. Later I never ran into it for years. I have not bought spray in a LONG time, maybe the price is up now, but I didn't think it was that bad before.

Tony Harrell
08-14-2002, 06:26 AM
Yellow jackets are in the nest (hole) after dusk. If you spray it during daylight, you're only getting some of them. Tell your customer to call a pest control operator that will come out at night to take care of the nest. We get $75 to do that.

crawdad
08-14-2002, 07:19 AM
Are you required to be liscenced for pesticides to charge $75 a nest? Did you use the spray from the stores, or something special? I don't think any of my customers would pay that much. They are in love with gasoline. I will NOT use gas on one of my lawns.
Crawdad

Scraper
08-14-2002, 09:04 AM
Kerr, In MD you need to be a licensed poesticide applicator to exterminate insects.

KerryB
08-14-2002, 09:09 AM
Are they Yellow Jackets or Wasps or Bees?
If they are Honey Bees you should call someone in the ag. ext. office and have them relocated and try to have it put in the paper. Will show that you are ewsponsible and care about the environment.
If they are Yellow Jackets buy the spray kill them and just go on with life. Consider it a price of doing business. After all if you found a bed of snakes you wouldnt charge for killing them would you?

Brickman
08-14-2002, 11:40 AM
Crawdad I can tell you live in hill billy country. I lived in KY for 15 years. Gas was the bug killer of choice. :D And then a match.

kerr lawn
08-14-2002, 04:29 PM
I believe they have been yellow jackets. I know bees go into their nest after dusk, but we have been able to find the nest getting most of them. We are still notifying the customer for there sake the other 6 days of the week. I'm just getting tired of getting stung more annoying than painful.
I know i have to be registered to spray fertilizer, insectiside, pesticides and etc... I'm working on that and hopefully i will have that license in the next couple of years.
I love gas also but these nest have been in hard location to pour gas into, under trees, in a forest/landscaping area where mulch needed to be spread, horse pasture gate, in the metal drain that runs under a driveway. Plus i know this is illegal and i don't need to get in trouble, even though it kills them the best.
Lawndoctor if i found a bed of snakes i probably wouldn't even think twice about doing anything. I would tell the customer and they better deal with it. Not my house, not my problem. I was hired to cut, weedeat, and blow around your house. I wasn't hired to kill things, bring the mail in, clean the bathroom, feed the kid, and do anything else except for cut the dang grass.
bryan