PDA

View Full Version : What are you doing this winter?

4 seasons lawn&land
10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
what do you do in the off season? I'll be plowing but of course that will account for a tiny fraction of the season.

castlerockmo
10-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Sitting on my Rear!
Posted via Mobile Device

Grass Shark
10-06-2010, 12:12 PM
bored, I would like to hear some ideas

Kennedy Landscaping
10-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I'll be moving snow as well, in December when I graduate I'll be going full time so I'll be really doing alot of thinking and planning and getting my strategies together and stuff. So it'll be an eventful winter probably for me.

stan the man
10-06-2010, 01:05 PM
plowing and i have a lot of thing to do round my farm.work on equipment.looking for some new bulls 10 of them i sale beef on the side to some of my accounts.

fl-landscapes
10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
it will be a struggle between golfing and fishing, boating:rolleyes:

wsc1945
10-06-2010, 02:13 PM
hoping for a snowy winter

DQL10
10-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Yeah I'll be in that situation as well. Gets to be somewhat stressful at times.

ShooterK2
10-06-2010, 02:43 PM
I have a full time job, other than lawn care, so I'll be busy with that. Ideas, though, for you guys looking for something to make some extra cash: Deliver pizzas! Now, before you laugh, let me tell you, one of my employees at my full time job does this in the evenings, and he makes decent money at it, and really enjoys it. Don't let your pride get in the way of some winter cash.....

minnows mowing
10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
The best thing I have found for the winter is brush removal, light tree work and holiday lighting. I have not done the lighting but a guy I used to work for did and it made decnt money. As for the other stuff I am constantly booking that kind of stuff now. Just to generate some kind of income. Also I am side painting for th holiday season as well as dump runs.

jeffslawnservice
10-06-2010, 05:38 PM
This winter probably go to some parties up at school, play some open ice hockey, and actually have the chance to go out some. This is also very stressfull. But on a serious note i try to schedule tree work for removal in the winter. Also i might make the jump to plowing this winter and sub for a buddy. Plus i plan out the year ahead.

Puddle of Oil
10-06-2010, 06:34 PM
plowing snow hopefully! it will be a very uneventful winter for me.

clydebusa
10-06-2010, 07:10 PM
I do a little of everything. I will do about 3 snow removals in the year and praying for a heavy snow year! Like a couple years ago, that really does help. I have some flower beds to rework and some tree triming and removal. I spend most of the summer getting things scheduled for the winter. I also buy a small cheap house each year for rental. Purchasing 1 next month and will spend some time this winter on it.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-06-2010, 07:15 PM
thats what I would like to do is flip houses in the off season but of course the housing market/economy nor my bark account are up to the task.

Golfpro21
10-06-2010, 09:06 PM
blowing snow......and creating some better marketing to increase our revenues for next year by 30%

OSU 09
10-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Snow obviously, but other than that working on equipment just making sure all is ready to go for the upcomming season. Doing office work (paperwork, marketing/advertising stuff, working on designs for upcomming jobs). Doing projects around the house and last but not least spending some time doing nothing!

OldRedFord
10-08-2010, 10:07 PM
I will be going back to doing construction work over the winter.

The LawnRanger
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Pushing snow wishing I was somewhere I could mow year round but snow removal pays very well

Southern Pride
10-08-2010, 10:56 PM
I hate having to find some crappy little job each winter. Normally, I should have saved for winter but when you first start a business winter living goes right back into investing in the business. I'm a full time student, oh yea paid for that with lawn money too. God I hate crappy part time jobs. As soon as I graduate (get my EMT license) I will be on ambulance/at fire dept. full time and landscaping can become my side money. Just gotta stay in the books until December.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
No plowing for me, forget that. Going to be spending ample time with my 1 yr old daughter.

Southern Pride
10-08-2010, 11:04 PM
So...you guys who do nothing in winter obviously are making $20,000+ during the 6 (April-Sept) hardcore months of the year in landscaping and setting some back? I don't really understand but I'm trying. Or wait, I know. Your wife is got the cheddar! Sugar momma. That's the way to do it marry me a nurse!

watsmi57
10-08-2010, 11:09 PM
we've got about another month of mowing here...first frost should be mid-november. after that i will be cleaning up leaves and straw until probably mid-late-January. also throw in some hedge trimming, tree pruning, and maybe some straw laying... i should have at least a little work until late January. usually Feb is a DEAD month.... nothing growing...nothing falling. but before April 1... I am mowing again.

when times get tough i start haulin scrap metal

RHill
10-08-2010, 11:38 PM
I will be relaxing some, working my other full time job and also building my energy business.

PLS-Tx
10-08-2010, 11:42 PM
Fishing oh course. :laugh:

Actually I have though of doing some hot shot work. I have never done it before but I would like to give it a try as long as it doesn't get in the way of fishing too much. :laugh:

rain man
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Do a little reflecting on the past. Fishing. Recovering.

Lehighlawnpros
10-09-2010, 02:05 AM
I'll be mowing :usflag:

MR-G
10-09-2010, 02:31 AM
I'll be mowing :usflag:us too !!!gotta love florida...i wouldnt live anywhere else.

Buck_wheat
10-09-2010, 06:29 AM
ornamental installations (annuals), irrigation, cutting grass and only just a little more sitting on my a$$.

93Chevy
10-09-2010, 08:19 AM
Plowing, maybe some remodeling, maybe running deliveries for the local Agway.

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
10-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Slacking off. Taking the longest vacation I have ever had (only 22 and 1st year in business) I plan on doing some some mulch and straw beds and mowing untill the begining of November and cleanups into the end of November. So far it's looking good.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-09-2010, 11:09 AM
So...you guys who do nothing in winter obviously are making $20,000+ during the 6 (April-Sept) hardcore months of the year in landscaping and setting some back? I don't really understand but I'm trying. Or wait, I know. Your wife is got the cheddar! Sugar momma. That's the way to do it marry me a nurse!

:confused: maybe others are making more money than you......

Georgia Lawn Works LLC
10-09-2010, 11:13 AM
I've set enough aside to get by this year. Next year I will have enough time to compensate for the winter. No other income in the house but mine over here. 2 kids. 2 dogs. No debt except for a house payment.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
10-09-2010, 04:43 PM
This is what I will be doing this winter:

Business Stuff:

1.)Pick up ultra high-end residential accounts which is my business model and continue to make contacts who can help me get more.
2.)Continue to train my employee and possibly hire a second depending on how many of these accounts I get.
3.)Palm trimming, mowing, mulch, annuals,etc.

Personal Stuff:
1.)Find a Girlfriend
2.)Buy a house
3.)Enjoy football season/basketball season
4.)Get more involved at my church

I love winter in Florida!

mowerbrad
10-09-2010, 04:49 PM
Well I will be hibernating and maybe fighting some fires. Probably be somewhat busy with school/training stuff too I guess.

billslawn89
10-09-2010, 04:53 PM

ya! a struggle to see how many laps i can swim in the pool on a single day or not going crazy from doing NOTHING on my time off! its been a long, busy, HOT summer here in southwest florida, so its time to enjoy! :drinkup:

zturncutter
10-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Man I second that I am ready for the slow down. :cool2:

ShooterK2
10-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Fishing oh course. :laugh:

Actually I have though of doing some hot shot work. I have never done it before but I would like to give it a try as long as it doesn't get in the way of fishing too much. :laugh:

I've thought about doing some hot shotting as well, but man, insurance is just outrageous. I don't see how a guy can do it part time and pay that high-dollar insurance.

TuffWork
10-09-2010, 08:36 PM
I will be catching up with all the handy man work/ side jobs that I haven't yet had time to get to, shoveling/snowblowing (if I can rent one before the other guys. thank goodness the rental place is at the end of my street), and remodeling a house or two for my parents so we can rent them out (this is the year they are letting me be a part of that business, so after we get these two rented it will be my job to be landlord)

and the two things that always seem to keep me busy: school (graduate with BBA in May!) and my awesome little boy (he turns three on Oct. 15)

SouthSide Cutter
10-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Working on the equipment in the shop. Putting some new tool boxes on the trailer. Painting on the inside of the house. Deer hunting and fishing a heated power plant lake in Ill.

gebby
10-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Staying warm, catching up with family, working on the Honey Do list, wood working, taxes, getting rady for next season. I'm tired.

rauder01
10-09-2010, 10:57 PM
I'll be either plowing snow ,and if no snow be making it. I work at a ski resort 4 th year now.We only get on average 4 snow falls a yr.

Turf Commando
10-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Maintaining properties (plowing) 24/7 until next spring...!

rain man
10-10-2010, 12:16 AM
Have plenty to do. Do another thing on the side. Its a secret.

4 seasons lawn&land
10-10-2010, 06:23 PM
Have plenty to do. Do another thing on the side. Its a secret.

jrugs......

N.TX
10-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Hiring the mafia to kill off all of the other lawn guys so I wont have any competition next spring :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Grass Shark
10-10-2010, 08:46 PM
Hiring the mafia to kill off all of the other lawn guys so I wont have any competition next spring :laugh::laugh::laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

mbrew
10-10-2010, 08:47 PM

Looks like I'll be hiding out this winter.

The LawnRanger
10-10-2010, 10:49 PM
Praying for snow, clean up during Ice storms (its a given here) working on getting new business vacation

orlawncaresvc
10-10-2010, 10:59 PM
We will still be mowing. Gotta love California. We are doing perennial rye seeding on most of our warm season lawns right now. Some over seeding on some of cooler season lawns. In about a month or two we will be dealing with leaves. That will probably last through January. We stay pretty busy through out the year her In Fresno, Ca. The mowing doesn't stop for us. We also start pulling and install annual flowers this time of the year.
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
10-10-2010, 11:41 PM
I will be doing some photo work, and traveling on my part time/ hobby. I also am planning on doing a heavy advertising project for next spring.

beachtownlawnservice
10-11-2010, 12:11 AM
hunt'n & fish'n