PDA

View Full Version : Tired of walking

longjohn
08-14-2002, 08:44 AM
I have a 44" Toro wb with the "T" bar steering and am considering a velke for it. I would appriciate any input from anyone having the same steering and are useing a velke.
Thanks.

Mataman
08-14-2002, 08:46 AM
get it. or trade it in on a ztr, my legs are never tired:D

gravedigger5
08-14-2002, 09:30 AM
I've got a single wheel velke and really like it, helps make a neat set of stripes:) but a two wheel velke will work better when ground is soft and wet, won't rut up as bad:confused: JMO Marc

Are We Having Fun Yet???:blob2:

crazygator
08-14-2002, 11:05 AM
I looked around at all the sulky's out there and found the one that Lesco sells best for me. It is the type that follows the mower, not trailers or jack knives. It is a 2 wheel type and the only one my big feet and boots would fit on without anything hanging off the back edge. Easy to remove quickly as well. Look around and you will find what works for you. And you will love not walking as much!

Turf Technologies
08-14-2002, 03:22 PM
Crazygator you talking about there War Charriot? I use it as well follows the machine , doesnt bounce around , its a very strong setup.Cost around 300$ i think.

Scag48
08-14-2002, 06:20 PM
What about a proslide? Always out of the way when you don't need it, and helps stripe. I'm planning on getting one if I can, if I end up buying a W/B.

TurfGuyTX
08-14-2002, 06:52 PM
Definately get a two wheel. One thing to consider is your mower's power. What size enging does it have. If you don't have enough power to do the extra pulling, it would be aggravating and slow. If you have enough power, you'd wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Good luck.

Nelson
08-14-2002, 06:59 PM
I have a 2 wheel Sulky....On my 32" Toro......T-Bar
I"m @ 6'1 220 ibs....It pulls w/no problem @ all.

Bottom Line....Good Investment...

Hope this helps on your Question?:D

13 HP Kohler

longjohn
08-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Thanks to all. My 44" has a 15 hp Kohler. I have thout about a pro slide. I'm still a rookie and will investigate all of my options. Y'all, as always, have been a great sorce of information.

NHLawns
08-15-2002, 07:43 AM
I also have a Toro 44" with the T bar system and put a set of Jungle Whells on it this spring. They work great and are really a time saver as well. I also looked into the proslide but they said the mower might not be big enough.

Hope this helps.

Jim

ProMo
08-15-2002, 07:48 AM
proslide is great i got mine when i had a 36 honda 12hp it had no problem pulling me

crawdad
08-15-2002, 08:00 AM
What is this proslide everyone speaks of? Someone post a pic, please.
Crawdad

ProMo
08-15-2002, 08:21 AM
http://www.novaecorp.com/frame.htm

Runner
08-15-2002, 12:40 PM
A two wheeled trailering stand up sulky is your best bet for a belt drive. A solid mount has too much resistance on the mower in most applications while turning and turning around. It has to be able to pivot YOU around as well as the weight of the mower it already has. It DOES slow down. A one wheel works well, but there are two things to consider. One, is resistance. You'll have more from ONE wheel penetrating into the ground than with two. Also, as mentioned above, a two wheel is smoother over bumps and grooves. The other thing to consider with a one wheel, is foot room. There is much les than there is with most two wheelers. When you are on this thing for any period of time, it is NICE to change foot positions now and again Your knees will thank you in 5 years. As far as the slider goes, I didn't keep mine for very long because it was just to much of a drag. Slower in production, harder on the belts, and harder on the tranny. The two wheels were just SO much smoother. After switching, it was like "floating" over the grass. I liked to keep the wheels inflated a little soft, too. This makes a BIG difference on shock to your feet, your knees, and your back. This really matters in the long run.;) Just my 2 cents.

HarryD
08-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Runner :

so you did not try the pro slide with a hydro mower ?

i just watched the small video off ther web site and i think im gunna try the pro slide . i use a single wheeled velke and it does rut badly

Runner
08-15-2002, 01:30 PM
No, with a hydro, all bets are off.:D It doesn't matter WHAT you put behind it, it's going to pull it, without much problem. ;)

ProMo
08-15-2002, 06:04 PM
you would ride the slide sort of like a skate board kicking off with one leg to get going with the entire surface acting as a wheel there is not much resistance ive slid right over sprinkler heads with no damage. on a hill slide down walk up ive put many miles riding on a brick road and it never wore the plastic plate(35 dollars)until it got a tear in it from kicking the honda sideways in my old 5x10 trailer

Wayne Offiler
08-15-2002, 10:20 PM
This is my second year using a Proslide. Its great. Not much ground resistance, and very smooth, since it glides over holes and bumps. I glued a thick carpet to the top; there's comfort. Also you can move and shift your feet when you get a little tired. Since you are at ground level, the controls are at their normal height, and it is easy to squat way down to go under those low hanging branches.
My 52" Bunton with 18 hp Vanguard pulls me with no problem. Plenty of power makes any machine more productive. (like going uphill in tall grass on a sulky) I'm now thinkng of getting a new Bunton 54" with 21 hp Kawa. At 6 mph on my Proslide will be productive enough for me.

crawdad
08-16-2002, 06:00 AM
Promo Lawn Servicesposted; http://www.novaecorp.com/frame.htm

Thanks, I've been wondering what the proslide looked like. I reckon I'll stick with my one wheeler for now, on my Scag, and an old fashioned sulky on my Gravely WB. If I ran into a good deal on a 2-wheel velke, I'd like to try one of them out.
Crawdad

Doc Pete
08-16-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by Runner
A two wheeled trailering stand up sulky is your best bet for a belt drive. A solid mount has too much resistance on the mower in most applications while turning and turning around. It has to be able to pivot YOU around as well as the weight of the mower it already has. It DOES slow down. A one wheel works well, but there are two things to consider. One, is resistance. You'll have more from ONE wheel penetrating into the ground than with two. Also, as mentioned above, a two wheel is smoother over bumps and grooves. The other thing to consider with a one wheel, is foot room. There is much les than there is with most two wheelers. When you are on this thing for any period of time, it is NICE to change foot positions now and again Your knees will thank you in 5 years. As far as the slider goes, I didn't keep mine for very long because it was just to much of a drag. Slower in production, harder on the belts, and harder on the tranny. The two wheels were just SO much smoother. After switching, it was like "floating" over the grass. I liked to keep the wheels inflated a little soft, too. This makes a BIG difference on shock to your feet, your knees, and your back. This really matters in the long run.;) Just my 2 cents.

Yup...... What he just said!!!!!!!!

ProMo
08-16-2002, 07:50 AM
A freind of mine tried the slide on his scab belt and said it was 10 times better than his two wheel if you ever have a problem with it they are great in fact they are sending me parts to get mine going again without charge even after I told them it was killed due to my own fault and way out of warranty,when i buy another one it will be the slide

Doc Pete
08-16-2002, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
A freind of mine tried the slide on his scab belt and said it was 10 times better than his two wheel if you ever have a problem with it they are great in fact they are sending me parts to get mine going again without charge even after I told them it was killed due to my own fault and way out of warranty,when i buy another one it will be the slide

Well, I'd sure be afraid to mow backwards with one, even it that's possible. And, at least the one I tested really slowed down my hydro, and put a lot of strain on things when I did true zero turns. Maybe, it's just the grass I mow????

ProMo
08-16-2002, 01:09 PM
no problem mowing backwards just step off and it retracts out of the way i go through some thick grass and it never slowed me down and i only had 12 hp guess you have to be used to it, using one leg to kick off with when using it a lot of lcos come over to check it out saying there 1 and 2 wheels leave ruts this thing stripes grass that usually doesnt stripe down here

Doc Pete
08-16-2002, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by Promo Lawn Services
no problem mowing backwards just step off and it retracts out of the way i go through some thick grass and it never slowed me down and i only had 12 hp guess you have to be used to it, using one leg to kick off with when using it a lot of lcos come over to check it out saying there 1 and 2 wheels leave ruts this thing stripes grass that usually doesnt stripe down here

I guess we're all different. When I go backwards, I'm mowing at speed, which means I want to be "on" the velky. Also, I've become used to never touching the ground with my feet once I'm on my velky. One advantage of weighting only 150, is you don't have to worry about ruts;) . I can see someone in the 250/300 lb. area having a real problem with a velky.
Pete