PDA

View Full Version : Does Your Mower Dealer Give You 30 Days To Decide If You Like The Machine?

85mm/1.4
10-06-2010, 05:51 PM
I was at Tractor Supply today looking at their clearance merchandise. They had two Bad Boy mowers(a 60 and a 48), and one Cub Cadet 48 Z with the steering wheel that were customer returns. I did not check the hours on the machines, but they definitely looked used. They have a 30 day return policy on purchases if you're not satisfied.

These mowers could be purchased at $500 off of the regular sale price. Just judging from appearance, they should have taken a $1,000 off the price. It seems no effort was made to clean the machines up.

I could see where someone would be tempted to take advantage of this generous return policy.

stan the man
10-06-2010, 06:34 PM
not on my walker and on my exmark Navigator

h2oskier
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
Hell use it for 29 days and take it back, then go back a day later get another 29 days, sounds like a win win situation to me.

mbrew
10-06-2010, 07:26 PM
I have an Ariens home owner Z that I bought many years ago from Home Depot. It had been taken home and used and brought back. I think I saved $500 or so on it back then. I've bought some other tools that were returned over the years also.

They've started taking a lot of information when you return stuff like that so I'm betting that repeat performances would be tough.

JB1
10-06-2010, 07:33 PM
my dealer does not nor would I expect them to.

Golfpro21
10-06-2010, 08:01 PM
not here....you buy it and leave with it...use it...it's yours....great dealer we have, but that is the way it is

MOHUSTLER
10-07-2010, 08:42 AM
I have returned equipment before. But Im not going to give every john doe off the streets a 30 day return. People will take advantage of that. Also say some commercial guy took that thing and ran it for 5 hours a day. and put 150 hours on it. The machine can possibly be worn out. I mean it is a Bad Boy were talking here. They dont last much past 200 hours anyways :laugh:

mowerbrad
10-07-2010, 08:58 AM
Deere had their "work it for a week" deal going on this year. If you didn't like the mower for any reason within the first week, you could take it back to the dealer.

But I don't think any real commercial equipment dealer has a 30 day return policy. I know my dealer doesn't that policy. This is exactly why dealers have demo mowers, so you can "try before you buy".

Knight511
10-07-2010, 11:05 AM
30 day return.... say Mon-Fri if it was bought on a Monday, that gives 23 working days. 10 hours run time a day... 230 hours. Go look on Craigslist, you will find many mowers that someone wanted to return after 30 days because most I see have 200-300 hours on them... :) so no, I wouldn't expect a commercial dealer to do a take back like that... sort of like buying a car, driving it for 1000miles (aver 12K a year) and expecting a dealership to take it back... not gonna happen.

K/B
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM
Hell use it for 29 days and take it back, then go back a day later get another 29 days, sounds like a win win situation to me.

Have you no ethics?

Alan0354
10-07-2010, 12:11 PM
I am usually very critical of dealers, but come on, use 30 days and return with no reason other than you don't like it??!!!

I can understand if there is a problem on the small equipment and you demand exchange, that I think dealer should. For big mower that you dirty up? How do you expect the dealer to eat this? Even auto dealer won't do this, they will try to fix it and after a few times then the lemon law kicks in, then you can demand to exchange or what not.

Now this I am on the side of the dealer...Get real!!!!

castlerockmo
10-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I have returned equipment before. But Im not going to give every john doe off the streets a 30 day return. People will take advantage of that. Also say some commercial guy took that thing and ran it for 5 hours a day. and put 150 hours on it. The machine can possibly be worn out. I mean it is a Bad Boy were talking here. They dont last much past 200 hours anyways :laugh:

Haha this make me smile! Thata boy MoHustler!
Posted via Mobile Device

momstmg
10-07-2010, 01:05 PM
I returned my z930 after 3 weeks and then got a z950.
Posted via Mobile Device

rwaters
10-07-2010, 05:14 PM
I am usually very critical of dealers, but come on, use 30 days and return with no reason other than you don't like it??!!!

I can understand if there is a problem on the small equipment and you demand exchange, that I think dealer should. For big mower that you dirty up? How do you expect the dealer to eat this? Even auto dealer won't do this, they will try to fix it and after a few times then the lemon law kicks in, then you can demand to exchange or what not.

Now this I am on the side of the dealer...Get real!!!!

WOW I never thought I would see you stick up for dealers:laugh::drinkup:

Richard Martin
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Tractor Supply isn't a dealer, they're a retailer of homeowner type stuff. I've seen the Bad Boys they sell. They're not even close to commercial grade.

h2oskier
10-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Have you no ethics?

Here are my ethics, if it's free it's for me, if it smells like fish it's a tasty dish, if it smells like cologne leave it ALONE.:waving:

Alan0354
10-07-2010, 06:21 PM
WOW I never thought I would see you stick up for dealers:laugh::drinkup:

What do I care, I don't buy big mower!!!:laughing::laughing::p

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I believe in honesty and integrity. You don't buy things with returning it in mind. When I bought my Troybilt pole saw attachment, I really meant to keep it. I carefully open it, put the attachment on, hold it and pretend to use it. I found it is way too short. So I carefully packing it back exactly like the original way, make sure all the manual, parts are in. Brought it back, I let the person know that it had never been used, everything was there for him to double check and all he had to do is tape it close and can go right back to the shelf. I don't use stuff first and try to return it unless it is defective or break down......That happened before.

I believe in fairness, 30 days return is for defects unless you return it UNUSED and in perfect condition that they can put it right back on the shalf. You just don't use it, and then return it.

rwaters
10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
What do I care, I don't buy big mower!!!:laughing::laughing::p

JUST KIDDING!!!!

I believe in honesty and integrity. You don't buy things with returning it in mind. When I bought my Troybilt pole saw attachment, I really meant to keep it. I carefully open it, put the attachment on, hold it and pretend to use it. I found it is way too short. So I carefully packing it back exactly like the original way, make sure all the manual, parts are in. Brought it back, I let the person know that it had never been used, everything was there for him to double check and all he had to do is tape it close and can go right back to the shelf. I don't use stuff first and try to return it unless it is defective or break down......That happened before.

I believe in fairness, 30 days return is for defects unless you return it UNUSED and in perfect condition that they can put it right back on the shalf. You just don't use it, and then return it.

Well it is just nice to see you on my side:weightlifter: I also think if you knew more about our business it would happen more often. That or you find a good dealer.

Alan0354
10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Well it is just nice to see you on my side:weightlifter: I also think if you knew more about our business it would happen more often. That or you find a good dealer.

I am just as critical at people that take advantage of the business as dealer taking advantage of consumers.

My thing is mainly on dealer honoring their warranty, fix the problem instead of blamming on the operator. I'll be a whole lot forgiving if the dealer show they really try to resolve the issue in good faith than anything else.

rwaters
10-07-2010, 10:46 PM
I really wish it was up to us on warrantys, it is the manufacture that honors the warranty not the dealer. you do not expect walmart to warranty a TV you bought from them do you. But I agree sometimes dealers should try, and when it is our mistake we should take care of it.

I also see walmart is not a warranty center but most of the time we do not make the warranty decision. Hell I had a engine that blew a hole in the side in 30 hours and still had to fight it for a week. Anymore we send pictures to the factory and they decide the warrantys. It is one of those cases one bad guy ruined it for everyone, we have had a few dealers warranty equipment for themselves and file false warrantys so they do not trust anyone.

PLS-Tx
10-08-2010, 12:13 AM
I never met a dealer that has a 30 hour return policy much less a 30 day, nor would I expect them to.