PDA

View Full Version : New SOD issues. Please Help

DAVERR
10-06-2010, 08:52 PM
I've layed SOD during the fall before and have never experienced this.

I layed some SOD on Saturday and began immediately watering it per the distributors instructions. I noticed yesterday that my seems have began to brown / yellow a bit. Furthermore, these areas including some areas of the middle of rolls simply pull out as easy as a weed after a hard rain. I assumed it was overwatering, but I don't know. The SOD setting is moist and the top soil beneath is moist. I can see root growth, but am concerned about the easy areas of pull up. Most of the rest of the grass is set and appears to be fine.

-Could this be from overwatering?
-Can these areas recover with backing up on the watering?

Kartanimal29
10-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Do you now how long the sod was sitting on the truck before you got it?

DAVERR
10-06-2010, 10:02 PM
It was delivered at about 11AM and we layed it between then and 330. I covered it while it was in the sun. Some of them were a little dry, but we drenched them pretty good following laying them. Not sure when it was cut. It was decently about 20 pounds per roll at the top of the pallet, but when you got to the bottom, they ran about 50 to 70 pounds. They were soaked on the bottom. As I think I stated, the SOD company reccomended cutting back on the water. These are few and far between spots. A vast majority of the rest appears to be setting nicely. I just don't know what the loose leaves is a sign of.

Thanks for the reply. Any help is appreciated.

Big C
10-10-2010, 10:33 AM
I had a similular experience.....give it a few days it should come around.

cgaengineer
10-10-2010, 10:39 AM
It will be fine.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpel2004
10-16-2010, 01:21 AM
It will be fine but do yourself a favor and put some milorganite down, but you should be fine. It takes 10-14 days for roots to attach to the soil sometimes longer depending on the growing conditions.

soloscaperman
10-16-2010, 02:22 AM
Wouldn't a starter fertilizer help since the goal is have the sod roots attach to the ground. Root growth and strength is crucial. It should be watered on the truck ever so often right?? Did you inspect the sod for any insects and fungus? I guess just wait and see.

Puttinggreens
10-16-2010, 10:31 AM
What king of sod? Bluegrass?

What are the day and night time temps?

Skimastr105
10-16-2010, 08:30 PM
milorganite can do wonders. i suspect it will pull through on it's own though.

Patriot Services
10-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Use the milorganite, it will green back quick and at least keep customer from yipping.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpel2004
10-17-2010, 11:06 AM
I love that stuff, its optional charge for my new sod install. Its a great way to add to the bottom line.

5starlandscaping
10-28-2010, 12:35 AM
The type of grass makes a big difference to know what going on. There was one sod company in our area selling st augustine with take all disease which destroys the root system. In this case we had to spray a fungicide 3 times within 6 weeks to keep it from dying.

5starlandscaping
10-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Hey CPEL2004, Do you incorporate the miloranite before or after you lay the sod?

Greenguy1
10-28-2010, 07:07 AM
What is with this Milorganite? expensive and weak.

cgaengineer
10-28-2010, 07:17 AM
What is with this Milorganite? expensive and weak.

Its made with human feces and it stinks...I would much rather use pelletized chicken manure...yes it stinks too, but animal poop doesn't bother me like human waste.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-28-2010, 07:31 AM
Its made with human feces and it stinks...I would much rather use pelletized chicken manure...yes it stinks too, but animal poop doesn't bother me like human waste.
Posted via Mobile Device

I would too - chicken manure has been shown to help prevent fungus too - but the fact is that chicken manure or even the pellets/compost is not readily available in all parts of the country. Milogranite would be my suggestion to those that want to fert new fertilizer - The University of FL currently is saying not to fertilize new sod until the roots are well established, so if you are wanting to do it, I would suggest a more organic based fert that is going to improve the soil, not just leach through quickly with all the watering new sod requires

Patriot Services
10-28-2010, 07:49 PM
Florida soil can never have enough OM. I don't care what it comes from. Just remember everybody poops.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
10-28-2010, 08:07 PM
Florida soil can never have enough OM. I don't care what it comes from. Just remember everybody poops.
Posted via Mobile Device

Couldn't agree more

Dnryan
10-30-2010, 03:12 AM
just an fyi, milorganite isnt the actual feces. It's the dead bacteria that fed on the feces to break it down. It does smell bad but don't sniff it while ur pouring it into your spreader and its fine. And i don't know how expensive it is where ur at but for a 36lb bag or so is about 12 bucks here. Not to bad in my opinion compared to other synthetic ferts.

cgaengineer
10-30-2010, 07:22 AM
just an fyi, milorganite isnt the actual feces. It's the dead bacteria that fed on the feces to break it down. It does smell bad but don't sniff it while ur pouring it into your spreader and its fine. And i don't know how expensive it is where ur at but for a 36lb bag or so is about 12 bucks here. Not to bad in my opinion compared to other synthetic ferts.

I'm pretty sure its composted humanure...I could be wrong.
Posted via Mobile Device

Dnryan
10-30-2010, 10:42 AM
im sure there is prob some human crap in it but by in large they dry out the bacteria that eats it. I will check their website later to see. I think it's a good idea tho either way because they are able to treat the wastewater and still turn crap into gold, lol. wish i could do that, id be rich.

Dnryan
10-30-2010, 10:45 AM
heres the link. its the leftover microbes from the treatment process.

http://www.milorganite.com/about/history.cfm

cgaengineer
10-30-2010, 10:47 AM
im sure there is prob some human crap in it but by in large they dry out the bacteria that eats it. I will check their website later to see. I think it's a good idea tho either way because they are able to treat the wastewater and still turn crap into gold, lol. wish i could do that, id be rich.

I think its a great idea as well and it means sludge is not filling landfills. I do not think its for all customers though...some of mine wouldn't mind, some would have a fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
10-30-2010, 12:29 PM
I tell mine it is organic waste material. They don't care when the grass is thick and green.
Posted via Mobile Device

cpel2004
10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
Hey CPEL2004, Do you incorporate the miloranite before or after you lay the sod?

I, always apply after the turf install.

cpel2004
10-31-2010, 06:02 PM
The type of grass makes a big difference to know what going on. There was one sod company in our area selling st augustine with take all disease which destroys the root system. In this case we had to spray a fungicide 3 times within 6 weeks to keep it from dying.

You have made a very excellent point. I do not guarantee the health of the sod unless you pay extra for the specialized treatments( ie fungus and insect, and milorganite/fert). The only thing I guarantee is the quality of the sod(Grade A Classic).

Most guys have not a clue on how to maintain newly installed sod properly. I didnt until I had to ripout about 3 pallets. LOL, we live and we learn!:hammerhead:

Patriot Services
10-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Your very right. I won't warranty a sod job if they don't agree to at least 3 mos of aftercare. I don't even want them mowing. I had a guy scalp 2000 sqft of SA to 2" a week after I laid and wanted me to eat it.
Posted via Mobile Device