PDA

View Full Version : Anyone do sprinkler blow outs????

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-06-2010, 11:51 PM
OK well for the past year we have been blowing out sprinklers in the fall...
Do any of you guys do this too? We get amazingly quite i few/ several Calls for for this service. We dont do full service sprinkler installs and stuff like that but we do this.....
I used to do sprinklers full time for a couple years so i know what im doing
:cool2: <<<lol jk but I was wondering if anyone else did this....
Do you guys rent a Compressor too???
IMO I think its a MUST to have one of those pull behind compressors for quick service but they are pretty expensive!!!!!!
For a 250CFM compressor Diesel can be as much as $45,000
Do you guys rent them for the week month day or what???
how much do you pay?
only reason i dont reall wanna buy one is because i can buy about 3 ZTR's with that money! Also i have no use for it in the summer then i just have no where to put it either....

ajslands
10-07-2010, 12:04 AM
You can make an air compressor. All you need is a motor and a tank and some piping and other stuff. Throw It on a trailer and you're good, infact I was talkin with someone about this today. Some I know a few guy around here that own them, idk who rents them though!
Posted via Mobile Device

bobw
10-07-2010, 12:14 AM
Irrigation guy wandering through the forum...

We rent compressors... 185 cfm. I keep thinking I'd buy a well used one (i.e. 2000-3000) hours on it and it would pay for itself in a couple of years.

But...they seem to be quite finicky and we probably have to stop at the rental house for a swap/repair once in a two week rental. If my rental house can't keep them running reliably, I haven't got a chance.

Our blow out season is pretty short.. 2-3 weeks. For what a compressor costs, you just can't justify owning one for that short a time frame.

A two man team can do 30-35 houses/day.

Mr. Rain
10-07-2010, 01:13 PM
I bought an older used one and paid for it in about a week. Best machine I ever bought as far as a money maker. I sold it a couple years ago when I cut back to part time for double what I paid after adding a power hose reel. Never put a dime in repairs in it other than normal service and a set of new tires. It was a 185 with a diesel. Keep your eyes open on auctions and you can pick up a pretty solid 185 size for 3500 to 4500 pretty easily. Mine was an off brand that I picked up cheaper, but never did anything but make money.

Nice thing about having your own is you're not at the mercy of availability and can cash in on last minute jobs without having to fork out a full rental. Plus it's kind of handy to have around for other uses.

JimLewis
10-08-2010, 03:45 AM
We only do about 400 per year. All pre-paid by Oct. 15th.

cuttin-to-the-Max
10-08-2010, 07:31 AM
yeah i might look into buying one! Used
400 jobs isnt too bad!!!!
Im doin about 50 lol
Hopefully more soon
We just started doing them!

AI Inc
10-08-2010, 07:36 AM
I rent 1 and own one. Owning one is good for the late callers. I usualy do between 850-900.

unit28
10-08-2010, 08:50 AM
for normal residential systems,
if they don't have a boiler drain can you connect to the test port
at the PVB?

I turn systems back on in the spring but never winterized them.

Using the manufactures recomendation of not exceeding the maximum PSI
Just wondering if some people open more than one zone at a time, and get more production done.

good luck

MJB
10-08-2010, 11:31 AM
for normal residential systems,
if they don't have a boiler drain can you connect to the test port
at the PVB?

I turn systems back on in the spring but never winterized them.

Using the manufactures recomendation of not exceeding the maximum PSI
Just wondering if some people open more than one zone at a time, and get more production done.

good luck

I rent a 250 cfm compressor by the week. I can open 2 to 6 stations at a time on the small jobs.

But I also have jobs that a 250 will barely lift the sprinkler heads after the initial shot of air clears out a lot of the water.