PDA

View Full Version : Walker Side Discharge Decks

kubotafan
10-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Do the Walker side discharge decks cut as well as their GHS decks?

Some of the lawns I cut are what I would call a yard, rather than a lawn. A little rough, sometimes weedy, etc. They are just mowed side discharged. I presently use a tractor style mower (Kubota G1800 AWS) but have wondered if I could save time with a Walker (thinking about an MB model). However, having never used one I wonder if I would get as good a cut or if the ride would be rougher.

MOturkey
10-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I have a side-discharge 48 on mine, and the cut is impeccable. I have two Gravely 260 Promasters, and they also give a very good cut, in my opinion, but the Walker is almost perfect, basically never missing a blade. The controls are touchy, and I, admittedly, am still not an expert, because I don't run the mower but one day a week normally, but if you are using a tractor type mower now, you will be amazed at how much faster you will be able to cut with a Walker, plus get under tree limbs and close to landscaping, minimizing trimming.

Another thing about the SD deck is it cuts wet grass better than my Gravely's. It isn't designed for high grass, but if you have reasonable growth, you can cut when the grass is actually wet with no clumping. My Gravely's will do OK, but eventually, no matter how slow or fast you mow, you'll start dropping clumps. The Walker just doesn't do that.

starry night
10-07-2010, 10:31 AM
We use all the Walker decks: collection, mulching, and side-discharge. All float very well and leave a manicured look. The side-discharge, IMO, stripes better than the collection because the blades on the SD all rotate the same direction.

gene gls
10-07-2010, 08:11 PM
I have a 62" SD Walker deck, great deck. It will do light brush hogging or mow a nice lawn.