PDA

View Full Version : Kohler Command 23 smokes on start-up

maxpac4
10-07-2010, 11:18 AM
My Kohler Command engine smokes on start-up. It has only 215hrs on it.
I just bought it used. The mechanic at the dealer said it had something to do with the lifters? This doesn't make sense to me, seems like it would be valve
seals or rings? Help?

Thanks, Phil

lawnpro724
10-07-2010, 11:41 AM
your right on track, its valve seals. Oil is leaking past the seal and into combustion chamber and burning off at startup. This is more annoying than harmful so I wouldn't worry to much about it unless its gets worse and your engine oil level starts dropping. How long was it sitting before you bought it?

ShooterK2
10-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Does it do it every time you start it? I had one that would do it occasionally, although I've read on here about others that do it pretty much all the time. It never did cause any trouble, or use any major amount of oil, so I just didn't worry about it.

As far as what's causing it, I'm like you, it'd seem like valve seals to me.

maxpac4
10-07-2010, 01:40 PM
It wasn't sitting more than 2 weeks. Yes, I dont think I'll worry about it
either. It has not used any oil, just annoying. No, it doesnt do it every time
either. Thanks for the advise!

knox gsl
10-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I have a new one and it does this, just the nature of the engine. I don't need to add oil between oil changes and it is only on the first start up of the day.

soloscaperman
10-07-2010, 06:16 PM
It's normal. Got the same engine but he 27HP. Larger carb. Mine does it 1-3 times a week. Hasn't done it for 2 weeks so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Happen since brand new.

MS_SURVEYOR
10-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Yea! It drives me nuts. I've have the 30hp. After some research by phone to Kohler, this site, reading, and talking to other Kohler owners, it seems a Kohler needs to be shutdown at half throttle or more to keep from smoking at start up. It works, but that drives me nuts too! :dizzy:

soloscaperman
10-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Yea! It drives me nuts. I've have the 30hp. After some research by phone to Kohler, this site, reading, and talking to other Kohler owners, it seems a Kohler needs to be shutdown at half throttle or more to keep from smoking at start up. It works, but that drives me nuts too! :dizzy:

I thought that was for the back firing problem. My mower never once back fired she has about 350 hours. I always let it idle for 10- 30 sec before shutting down.

ShooterK2
10-07-2010, 09:53 PM

Is that what a Kohler rep told you? Seems strange to me........if oil is leaking past the valve seals when the engine is NOT RUNNING, then what difference does it make what RPM it was running when last shut down? I'm not saying it doesn't work.......I never tried it........but I do know that if I didn't let mine idle for a while before shutting it off, it would backfire.

MS_SURVEYOR
10-07-2010, 10:19 PM
I thought that was for the back firing problem. My mower never once back fired she has about 350 hours. I always let it idle for 10- 30 sec before shutting down.

Well that too. Seems that letting it idle 10- 30 sec or 2 minutes causes the oil pump to continue to pump oil after shutdown, trapping oil on the topside of the rings.

BREMER4
10-07-2010, 11:48 PM
A large majority of Kohler Commands will blow a huge puff of blue smoke on startup. It is actually normal and will not hurt anything. Kohler says to shut down at half to full throttle and that I believe is stated in the manuals now. They state it is due to increased vacuum in the carb when shutting down at idle causing excess fuel being drawn into the cylinders, which then washes oil off of the cylinder walls and then sits there like a 2 cycle mix until the next startup.
Posted via Mobile Device