PDA

View Full Version : Needing advice from HUD yard cleanup LCO's

BestImpressions99
10-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Hi guys,

Needing advice from a specific type of LCO. My brother is in the HUD repo clean up biz and he's needing a new mower. I know I know I know demo, dealer, distance (the 3 d's of mower decision making... like the 3/4 c's for diamond purchases LOL).

This is why I'm needing to talk with LCO's that operate in the HUD clean up sector. Anyone who's ever done a HUD clean up knows that the lawn has NOT been taken care of (and while post mowing looks aren't important, if you're there and going over a property 2 or 3 times due foot high or taller grass does take it's toll on time).

My brother has a couple of ideas for brands and while all three are excellent ideas for when you have a lawn that's taken care of, he's needing it for much worse... more like much much worse conditions.

Scag Turf Tiger (he's leaning more towards this one)
Wright ZK or RH
Exmark Lazer Z

Which of the above has a tendency to take on really tall grass well. Hoping to find real-world opinions... asking from those guys that cut extremely thick, very tall grass on a consistent basis.

Short of buying a Kubota, Cub Cadet or John Deere Farm tractor with a PTO and bush hog... ZTR or Wright is the only choices he's got.

Maco Services
10-07-2010, 10:43 PM
I am one of those companies, and we don't have any real use for most of those. I have a need for something that can get in a gate, something with good ground speed, and the largest HP mower I can get. If it swaps from Side discharge to mulch fairly easily, even better. This lets us use the equipment daily for maintenance routes or for initial cuts.

If all he is doing is the initial services, and not ongoing maintenance, I'd say a 36" built like a tank is the best choice. Other than that, go back to the 3 Ds.

This past season, I've rented a bushhog twice, the rest were typically sub 1 acre lots. When we started, we had a ton of 21" mulching mowers. The mower sits on the trailer a decent bit if he's doing cuts and cleanouts, I sure cant substantiate buying a 10k mower to save me 30 minutes on a halfday cleanout job.

My two cents...margins are tough on this side of the business, be careful laying out a lot of cash.

BestImpressions99
10-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Thanks Maco,

Yeah, he's actually one of 3 crews a guy has. He operates in the northeast part of the state. He's majority of the time doing the initial clean out. Right now he's running a Toro classic 15 hp 44" walk behind.

So you think getting one of the above 3 to build him a custom (or build his own) mower with like a 23 horse is the way to go? Didn't see in your post, but do you think walk behind or sub-compact rider?

What brand are you running if you don't mind me asking?

gebby
10-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Here's my list to get the job done.
1. Stihl 110 weed eater with .95 line.
2. Gravely Z-252 with a Kaw 25 hp motor, sharp blades. go over 2-3 times.
3. Gravely walk behind 48 inch 15 hp Kaw. , sharp blades.
4. Plenty of trash bags.
5. Time and plenty of patience
6. Camera

h2oskier
10-08-2010, 07:10 PM
One of the older Gravley's with the out front deck that could be used as a walk behind or with a sulky would probably be my choice, plus you could probably find one at a decent price.

Clark Griswold
10-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I would use a Walker, bag the grass at the same time and really clean it up, saves time on getting rid of the grass sitting on the lawn!