PDA

View Full Version : Home Made Billy Goat Blower Trailer tie down

promower10
10-07-2010, 10:38 PM
well I got a new Billy goat 9HP Subaru force blower yesterday and I wanted something to keep it from rolling all over the trailer. And before any of the PRO welder's say anything I'm in my first year of welding lol:laugh:. I will mount it with a few lag bolts and I drilled two holes one behind the axle and one in front and put a small bungee cord and set my parking brake and it should stay in place. I'm open to any and all ideas this is the first of what I want to make.

topsites
10-07-2010, 10:44 PM
Not to blow you down but if that blower's anything like mine then it won't hold
in that position, mostly because there's hardly any weight on that front wheel.

Way I do it, after years of frustration as I'd watch my blower fall over backwards...
I used to hate it, no matter what I did, I tried everything but that blower just would fall over.

Now I back my blower up against the front of the trailer with the front wheel pointed to the back.
Then I drive one of my Wb's up against it with the caster against the fan shroud, block it in.
Then I set the parking brake on the Wb.

End of that discussion.

promower10
10-07-2010, 10:49 PM
thanks for the info, thats why I said I will be putting a small bungie through the holes in the side one behind the axle and one in front. Yeah if there was nothing to hold it in it would fall over at the first light:drinkup:

promower10
10-08-2010, 10:21 AM
I think I might make the top like a pro locker still thinking though
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
10-08-2010, 10:47 AM
First of all thank you very much for purchasing one of our products. Our 75+ full time employees and their families thank you as well.

We tried a bracket similar to that as we were designing a Force lock down kit. http://www.billygoat.com/site/accessories.aspx?pid=78 It worked well and took up the least amount of trailer space of anything we tried. The problem we had with that design is in testing the rear of the unit would jump up and torque the front forks if the trailer was driven poorly (caught air over trailer tracks or took a gravel road too aggressively).

Most folks shouldn't/don't drive like that but we test aggressively for worst reasonable expectations. If you don't drive like that your bracket will serve you well. Well done!

Drew

promower10
10-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Mr.force No problem you guys put out a fantastic blower it is so user friendly and just blows like crazy but I have some more pics if it on the trailer today all tied down and I'll post them here later. I'm glad to see you all actually look on sites like this to get the feedback and see what we ( the people in the field ) need or think.
Posted via Mobile Device

promower10
10-08-2010, 08:53 PM
here it is on the trailer all tied down

grasshog08
10-08-2010, 09:04 PM
looks good to me, and that looks like a bad a** blower

THEGOLDPRO
10-08-2010, 09:15 PM
i dont think its dot approved :) looks good man.

promower10
10-08-2010, 09:38 PM
i dont think its dot approved :) looks good man.

yeah this is the fisrt design and ill work on a better one this winter after I see hoe this works. I also want to make something like a pro locker for my Tracers. thanks for the feedback guys :drinkup:

StihlMechanic
10-08-2010, 09:40 PM
They make the best blowers, hands down.

promower10
10-08-2010, 09:50 PM
They make the best blowers, hands down.

Heck yeah they do I have used just about all under the sun and these are tops not to heavy but crap tons of power

topsites
10-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Well, simplicity rules, if that works out for you.

promower10
10-08-2010, 11:51 PM
Yeah I guess lol
Posted via Mobile Device

adamholz17
10-13-2010, 12:36 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

wahlturfcare
10-13-2010, 04:39 PM
i like how you did that. I have been wanting to make one bolt to the side of my trailer up off the floor.
one thing you might make instead of the bungy cord, is make a arm that flips over and cups the wheel and can lock or pin shut on the opposite side to deteer theifs.

Mowbizz
10-13-2010, 06:53 PM
I forked over the $$ to get the factory hold down and it works as it should.
On yours. the only thing I would do differently is use some kind of "non stretchable" strap rather than a bungee...under a load that bungee may stretch and slide down the tire resulting in a no hold situation...
Other than that, nice fab job!

18lmslcsr
10-15-2010, 06:20 PM
Nice job! It is always g8 to see others build there own stuff. I would have to agree that a matching set at the back to wheels would be the best way to keep it locked in place. Also, use a no stretchable strap for the hold down.

C.

18lmslcsr
10-15-2010, 06:21 PM
lol! TWO.... and NONE stretchable.
I can tell it is a Friday.
ha!

C.

unit28
10-15-2010, 09:37 PM
give me 2 seconds a couple pieces of perferated square tubing and a DR Pepper.

Nice job though, hope it works out for you

organiclawncanada
02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Why not just try a wheel chock style like a motorcycle or a fast strap.

Landrus2
02-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Look at what I fond :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

organiclawncanada
02-10-2011, 11:29 AM
that looks good as well.