PDA

View Full Version : What's the most $$$ you made from leaves?

JayD
10-08-2010, 12:33 AM
What's the most you have made from doing leaves?

Pix of leaf jobs would be cool...

Post away....

Big Bad Bob
10-08-2010, 12:40 AM
What's the most you have made from doing leaves?

Pix of leaf jobs would be cool...

Post away....

I haven't made anything. I just mulch 'em up, leave 'em on the lawn and shortly after, get fired.
They want me to bag 'em up? What the...................? Thumbs Up :drinkup:

yardatwork
10-08-2010, 07:27 AM
$3600 total...$900 each time...four times...six to eight hours each time. It was at a HOA.

delphied
10-08-2010, 07:30 AM
I dont do many leaf clean ups. Most guys in my area do them for free in order to offset the $25 per cut they charge.

stan the man
10-08-2010, 08:35 AM
one place 3800.00 big job still have it

sven1277
10-08-2010, 08:49 AM
We have one resi about that has about an acre of lightly wooded area surrounding their house. $1500 Last year, 3 guys did it in a full day.

whosedog
10-08-2010, 08:54 AM
We made $800 for a one time cleanup on one lot over an acre,lots of beds,bushes and trees.Last year this DR decided to do it himself,he just blew everything off the lawn into his beds on top of his mulch;whatever.

JayD
10-08-2010, 10:06 AM
I dont do many leaf clean ups. Most guys in my area do them for free in order to offset the $25 per cut they charge.

LOL.....:laugh::laugh::laugh:

stan the man
10-08-2010, 10:08 AM
no way would i do leaves for free

StihlBR600
10-08-2010, 10:51 AM
who would do leaves for free? i just charge 4 times the price i usually cut the lawn for.

Big Bad Bob
10-08-2010, 11:36 AM

Wow!!! Great idea. I think I'll try that. Of course I'll have to raise my prices to get $25.00 per cut.

Mowbizz
10-10-2010, 05:10 PM
Once the leaves are down for good, it's balls to the wall until the snow flies...then it becomes a Spring cleanup! One can make thou$ands in the North country this time of year. Average job is approx $300 and on up to $1200-$1500 for residential jobs, depending on the amount of leaves and whether I can blow them to the woods or need to haul them away...very profitable if you have the right equipment!

JayD
10-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Once the leaves are down for good, it's balls to the wall until the snow flies...then it becomes a Spring cleanup! One can make thou$ands in the North country this time of year. Average job is approx $300 and on up to $1200-$1500 for residential jobs, depending on the amount of leaves and whether I can blow them to the woods or need to haul them away...very profitable if you have the right equipment!

Wow, that's some good money. I never get a lot of people here wanting it done and the one's who do don't want to pay much of course.

JB1
10-10-2010, 06:01 PM
$163.42 for 11.439 hours.

JayD
10-10-2010, 06:12 PM
$163.42 for 11.439 hours.

LOL....now there's a guy that knows his business. He's got it tracked down to seconds and penny's....Good job!

4 seasons lawn&land
10-10-2010, 06:26 PM
really? Isnt that 14 an hour?

nepatsfan
10-10-2010, 06:29 PM
one million dollars

JayD
10-10-2010, 06:59 PM
So would it be fair to say that you guys make a lot more profit on leaf jobs?

How many on here have made a bad bids on leaf jobs? If so, how bad?

White Gardens
10-10-2010, 07:59 PM
So would it be fair to say that you guys make a lot more profit on leaf jobs?

How many on here have made a bad bids on leaf jobs? If so, how bad?

One job they had to be put into the Brown Landscaping bags in order for the city to haul them away.

I thought it would take 10-15 bags, after I had triple mulched them, and then sucked them up.

Ultimately I ended up filling 35 bags and took at least twice as long. Already had given them a set price though. Lost about 175-225 on that job. Still charged 150 though so it wasn't a complete loss.

White Gardens
10-10-2010, 08:01 PM

Love it, I might stick that in my signature if you don't mind. :laugh:

JayD
10-10-2010, 08:27 PM
One job they had to be put into the Brown Landscaping bags in order for the city to haul them away.

I thought it would take 10-15 bags, after I had triple mulched them, and then sucked them up.

Ultimately I ended up filling 35 bags and took at least twice as long. Already had given them a set price though. Lost about 175-225 on that job. Still charged 150 though so it wasn't a complete loss.

Yeah,I bet I know how your gut was feeling, it happens. I have not bid much on this kind of stuff, but I just bid one where it is an estate and the kids are really trying to get it sold. They told me that the Realtor told them that they have to have leaves cleaned up at least once a week while they are showing the home.....This is a big ugly place with about 100 trees give or take. About half can be blown in the woods and the other half will have to be bagged up and hauled away....If they fall slowly, I could make some good $$$ if I get three or four weeks of it...

BlackDog3
10-10-2010, 08:53 PM
I usually do pretty well on leaf clean ups. Last season i bought a ultra vac for my lazer. Makes my life so much easier. I am looking at a leaf loader now in order to even go faster and to up my price a little bit. I was knocking out 2-4 leaf jobs a day with the machine compared to 1 per day with just a back pack and a truck.

Chris

delphied
10-10-2010, 09:52 PM
Love it, I might stick that in my signature if you don't mind. :laugh:

It would be an honor. The sad part is that I am not lying. Few people in my area will pay much for leaf cleanup because of all the guys working so cheap. They can have it. I had a guy tell me he does his customers leaves for free. I know he is a lowballer with his cut prices already. There are lots of customers out there that will let you work for next to nothing, so , enjoy!

JayD
10-10-2010, 10:03 PM
It would be an honor. The sad part is that I am not lying. Few people in my area will pay much for leaf cleanup because of all the guys working so cheap. They can have it. I had a guy tell me he does his customers leaves for free. I know he is a lowballer with his cut prices already. There are lots of customers out there that will let you work for next to nothing, so , enjoy!

Forget that!!!! I'm with you, they can have before I do that.....

White Gardens
10-10-2010, 10:47 PM
As a side note, I was watching America's Funniest Home Videos tonight and there was a clip of a guy with a fan/swamp boat.

It was on the trailer and he lit the thing up and blew all the leaves out of his back yard into the woods.

If anyone finds the video, post it if you can. Makes me want to find the fan motor and mount it to something and cut my leaf time by 90%.

The LawnRanger
10-13-2010, 01:27 AM
Im not afraid to charge Im not in business to lose money I had a customer call wanting a bid she said her son works nights doesn't have time to do the lawn went to look at it lawn was good 9 inchs tall lot of trimming and she wanted the hedge bushes in front of house trimmed I told her 75.00 she said that I was way to high and I said Im sorry Maam my equipment doesnt run for nothing and I suggested that her son find time to take care of it

stan the man
10-13-2010, 11:49 AM
i don't understand doing leaves for free. then do the mowing for free. the cleanup is hardest part of work unless you are set up for it i am. the price i say it is. that is what the price is i will not down the amount

MDLawn
10-14-2010, 04:55 PM
I think for too many people they just get pushed over by the customer. They'll say "Well you have to mow anyways so why are you charging me to mulch or remove the leaves?" Then the poor soul drops his/her head in defeat and says "Ok". Too many are just too afraid to walk away from work that will not make them money. I mean do whatever you can to keep the customer happy but have some stones to stand up and say no. Most will then just agree to your plan. Customers asks these demands just to see what may happen. Haven't any of you tried to shoot a low price to a vehicle or equipment dealer? If the say no do you just storm out of there? No, you negotiate a deal. But if they agree you aren't going to say "Oh well I was willing to pay a little more."

Agape
10-14-2010, 10:22 PM

holy crap! to OFFSET the $25??? dummies!!

Big Bad Bob
10-14-2010, 10:47 PM
holy crap! to OFFSET the $25??? dummies!!

Look. It only costs me about $1.00 in gas to mow the lawn. That means $24.00 profit for a half hours work. That's $48.00 per hour. Why youse guys so greedy?

SOS Landscaping
10-22-2010, 06:30 PM
i have a customer with an acre lot, heavily wooded and tons of debriss.. First year we had her we did weekly clean ups for a month, we did them for $200 a week, she felt it was too expensive so last year she opted to do one large clean up at the end of the year and just go the hourly rate. Ended up taking 3 guys 1.5 day, I gave her a break and only charged her $1728 bux... Worked out good for me, but hopefully lesson learned for her...

stan the man
10-22-2010, 06:39 PM
i have a customer with an acre lot, heavily wooded and tons of debriss.. First year we had her we did weekly clean ups for a month, we did them for $200 a week, she felt it was too expensive so last year she opted to do one large clean up at the end of the year and just go the hourly rate. Ended up taking 3 guys 1.5 day, I gave her a break and only charged her $1728 bux... Worked out good for me, but hopefully lesson learned for her...
all my clean ups are 1000.00 or more
i have one that is 3800.00 good money a lot time to do it 76 hours

SOS Landscaping
10-22-2010, 06:53 PM
all my clean ups are 1000.00 or more
i have one that is 3800.00 good money a lot time to do it 76 hours

These are on resis or HOA accounts? If resis man, I shouldnt feel bad when I have a lot of customers that I bill close to $1,000 for clean ups. Good for you man:drinkup:

Big Bad Bob
10-22-2010, 11:24 PM

You done good.
Customers point of view, "Why so much? It's only raking leaves."
Customers sometimes don't have a clue or respect for hard labor.

JayD
10-22-2010, 11:43 PM
You done good.

Amen to that!

SOS Landscaping
10-23-2010, 10:12 AM
You done good.

I know exactly what you mean, but tough luck. I know that each crew has to bill out at least $1200-1500 a day in labor. If you spend the time there youre going to get charged. If not they can go find Joe Blows weekend LCO.

stan the man
10-23-2010, 10:27 AM
I know exactly what you mean, but tough luck. I know that each crew has to bill out at least $1200-1500 a day in labor. If you spend the time there youre going to get charged. If not they can go find Joe Blows weekend LCO.
that is the way i think about it to. if you want it done you have to pay for it

Patriot Services
10-23-2010, 11:18 AM
Leaves always to invoke the Norman Rockwell in people. You and your buddies raking leaves into garbage bags and then running up to the porch to get a hot chocolate and your shiny nickel from old lady Johnson.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-23-2010, 11:24 AM
The biggest problem I think in charging for leaf cleanups is competing against 12 year olds with a rake and a broom.

SOS Landscaping
10-23-2010, 02:42 PM
The biggest problem I think in charging for leaf cleanups is competing against 12 year olds with a rake and a broom.

I agree but personally they can have it. Simply put you get what you pay for and not saying that many of us didnt do leaves when we were kids but majority of kids these days are lazy. I have people call me all the time asking to finish up a half way done clean up because the neighborhood kid never showed up the second day or they did a terrible job. I qoute them a price and their top flips. Some after some explaining realize that if you want professional serivce you will pay top dollar, others say no way ill find another kid. And personally those are the people I stay away from. The person who is going to search for Joe Blow to do it for 50 bux is going to nickel and dime on every service they get.