PDA

View Full Version : Tailgate GRW?

walker-talker
08-14-2002, 05:49 PM
I am building a ramp from my landscape trailer to my pickup truck (1992 Chevy Cheyenne 2500) and was wonder how much weight a tailgate will support. I want to be able to back my Walker mower from my trailer to my truck to dump grass clippings in the bed. I would guess that the Walker weight about 1200 pounds with load. I am guessing that will not be a problem.

Thanks
MATT

thelawnguy
08-14-2002, 09:04 PM
250 lbs.

crawdad
08-15-2002, 08:31 AM
Doesn't your tailgate come off? It takes just a few seconds to remove my gate from my F-150. Much safer with the ramp on the bumper, properly secured with the cables so it wont slip. Ever had a ramp slip off? I did, while loading a rider. I looked down, no ramp, I had time to say shite twice before I hit the ground. Glad it was a loaner! And a lot lighter than my Gravely rider, that would've hurt.
Crawdad

walker-talker
08-15-2002, 09:37 AM
Crawdad,

The anchor of the ramp will be hinged welded to the trailer and fold down to the pickup truck bumper. It is not sounding like a good idea to have the ramp resting on the truck's tailgate.

Thanks for the post.

MATT

captdevo
08-17-2002, 07:33 AM
matt,

i made a ramp on my last trailer that arched barely over the tailgate and rested on the bed.

it was very simple to make, with no significant weight either.

sit back and take a better look, i'm sure you'll figure it out.