PDA

View Full Version : How easy is it to install mulch kit?

williams lcm
10-08-2010, 10:19 PM
I had the dealer do my 800 series JD. He said it was a pain in putting the mulch kit on after I talked to the maintenance guy at JD. Now I want to save some money and put it on my new Z950 myself. Will this be any easy task? Who has installed a mulch kit and make of mower? How difficult was it? Thanks

Martinson9
10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
I've never done it, but my guys put them on and take them off our mowers each fall. We have Toro's with Turbo Force decks. I think two of them can do one mower in about 40 minutes. I'm sure if you did it all the time it would take less.

Southern Pride
10-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I bought my mower with it already installed. What I have heard is, it may not seem like it fits right. I think the reason they are such a struggle is because you have to pound on them and get the holes lined up, which, working with metal is going to be a bit of a pain. I was just get a nice rubber mallet, c clamps, any tools to help hold that baffle while you beat on it and finally get the bolt in.

Your experience may go alot smooter though, just depends.

AlbeLawn
10-08-2010, 11:39 PM
I have 2 Turf Tracers, 52" and 60" Both can be done in a hour once you do it a few times. I just put one on my next lazer and it took a little over a hour the first time. Just took it off in 30 min last week. Once you do it the first time there are parts(at least on my exmarks) that stay on even when the kits come off so it is faster. I would go ahead and do it yourself, there is nothing that you can screw up. Good luck.

rreyn1812
10-09-2010, 08:08 AM
I had the dealer do my 800 series JD. He said it was a pain in putting the mulch kit on after I talked to the maintenance guy at JD. Now I want to save some money and put it on my new Z950 myself. Will this be any easy task? Who has installed a mulch kit and make of mower? How difficult was it? Thanks

I put one on a Ztrak 830 and wish I had the dealer put it on. The one thing I didn't realize when I decided to put it on myself was that the close-offs between each blade compartment had to have a hole drilled in the deck so they could be installed. I really needed a 90 deg drill to do it properly. My son had a short drill so I was able to do the job, but it was a pain. If I was buying a JD 900, I would buy the MOD deck, otherwise I would check to see if all the holes were pre-drilled and if not, I would have the dealer do the installation. :)