PDA

View Full Version : Fire Proof Mulch

grassassassin
08-14-2002, 07:59 PM
Does anyone know of a fireproofing spray that can be applied to mulch. I have a property whose mulch seems to catch on fire 2 or 3 times a year due to residents throwing cigarettes off their decks. If there is no spray can anyone think of an alternative to mulch. This is a college town so rocks won't work because along with the cigarettes getting thrown off the decks, so do beer bottles. Thanks for your help.

KenH
08-14-2002, 08:02 PM
I have posted this same question to my local fire drepartment and they told me there was nothing they knew of.

Ssouth
08-14-2002, 09:03 PM
I saw in a previous post where people were using shredded rubber (tires) for mulch. Maybe do search on this to find the post. I'm pretty sure a cigarette won't catch a tire on fire. Besides that, I'm of no help to you.

ProMo
08-14-2002, 10:13 PM
ive heard that redwood tree bark is fireproof never tried to light it but was told that in redwood forest fires the inside of the tree burns not the bark

stslawncare
08-14-2002, 10:38 PM
i wish there was something that could be done cause lord knows im tired of putting those garden fires out. rubber is good for playgrounds never heard of them used on a garden though.

aquaturf
08-16-2002, 12:10 AM
Good question, maybe the customer would put in a sprinkler system for the beds. That's the best I can offer, sorry.....

Phishook
08-16-2002, 01:36 AM
How about a nice ashtray, or butt container?

A few small signs might work too.

That's all I got. sorry

Cooper Landscaping
08-16-2002, 01:48 AM
I was thinking along the same lines as aquaturf lol
-Coop

dan deutekom
08-16-2002, 07:02 PM
I was involved in an interior landscape project during the 1970's that had a spec involving the fireproofing of bark chip mulch. We ended up soaking the mulch in a fire ******ant used for fabrics used in curtains and furniture. It was so long ago I don't remember where or who supplied it but I would check with a fabric manufacturer.

bob
08-16-2002, 10:28 PM
Asbestos Mulch?

Floridalandcare
08-16-2002, 10:54 PM
shredded tires

hosejockey2002
08-17-2002, 12:30 AM
I haven't heard of using shredded tires for mulch. A few years ago an area in our state used a compound made with shredded tires to pave roads with. I worked fine until-- they discovered that the roads started catching fire spontaneously!!:eek: , so I imagine shredded tire mulch will burn. An irrigation system is probably the best bet- if the mulch is kept moist it won't catch fire as easily.

GroundKprs
08-17-2002, 08:49 AM
Every few years I see promotion of crumb rubber as a mulch. It has been used under children's playground equipment for safety in falls, but even there it is a nuisance. Can't clean the leaves and other debris out of it, except by picking it out by hand. And it gets scattered all over, and doesn't decay.

grassassassin
08-20-2002, 09:19 PM
I have found a few web sites for the shreaded tire mulch. None have emailed any prices yet. Thanks for the help.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-25-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Floridalandcare
shredded tires

Just as flamable in not more and also toxic when burning.

Fire proof mulch = keep it moist.