PDA

View Full Version : Any idea what is causing this?

stang2244
10-10-2010, 11:57 PM
I have a customer who is concerned with these spots in their lawn. I don't know what could be causing it and they just came about in the last 2-3 weeks. Her lawn never looked perfect, but this seems like more than just the grass going dormant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

integrityman
10-11-2010, 02:14 AM
A fungus. Look at this...may be helpful.......or confusing.

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/landscap/pp950w.htm

cgaengineer
10-11-2010, 07:14 AM
Is it bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

stang2244
10-11-2010, 03:09 PM
It's kbg.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Is it bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

interesting you ask this as i have seen frost damage to burmuda lots of years that looks just like that, but can tell it is not burmuda especially in colorado right, i mean you guys have this crap there too?
def looks like fungus damage. a look at the temps, moisture levels would easliy be able to pinpoint a particular fungus or two to look for for diagnosis . what have they done in the past 3 weeks(temps and such)?

cgaengineer
10-11-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm a warm season grass guy, but it looks similar to what bermuda does right before total dormancy. That being said, if its KBG I would say its likely a fungus.

I can't see where poster is from on my phone which is what I normally use to access lawnsite. The small screen also makes viewing pictures difficult.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-11-2010, 05:58 PM
I have a customer who is concerned with these spots in their lawn. I don't know what could be causing it and they just came about in the last 2-3 weeks. Her lawn never looked perfect, but this seems like more than just the grass going dormant. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much rain has that lawn had in the last month or so?

stang2244
10-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm in Colorado. We have had very little moisture but everything is irrigated. Temps have been a bit above average.
Posted via Mobile Device

gunsnroses
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
looks beat down....Kids playing football?

stang2244
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Little old lady, she's barely ever out on the grass.
Posted via Mobile Device

White Gardens
10-12-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm in Colorado. We have had very little moisture but everything is irrigated. Temps have been a bit above average.
Posted via Mobile Device

It could be a fungus but my gut tells me that the KBG is trying to go dormant from the higher temps.

We've struggled with that this fall. We started to get some cool wet temps optimal for fall growth, then all the sudden it went hot and dry again. I've been watering sections of my lawn that I over-seeded just to keep it from going dormant prematurely before I get a good stand.

Even irrigated lawns here this year went dormant as we've had one of the most consistently hot summer that we haven't seen in at least 3 years.