PDA

View Full Version : What Vehicle to Get?

greenteamlawns
10-11-2010, 11:33 AM
I am starting my own fertilizing/weed control business in MI next season. I am planning to start with a 100-200 gallon skid sprayer and a push spreader.

Should I get a truck or a van? What size? Will a 200 gallon skid sprayer fit in a 3/4 ton van?

I am leaning towards a van because I like the idea of keeping the tank enclosed and out of (the customers) mind.

Hissing Cobra
10-11-2010, 02:49 PM
I am starting my own fertilizing/weed control business in MI next season. I am planning to start with a 100-200 gallon skid sprayer and a push spreader.

Should I get a truck or a van? What size? Will a 200 gallon skid sprayer fit in a 3/4 ton van?

I am leaning towards a van because I like the idea of keeping the tank enclosed and out of (the customers) mind.

From personal experience, I recommend that you stay away from the vans. The vapors from the chemicals will fill the cab and you'll be exposed to them constantly throughout the day, each time you drive. They can be too much, believe me! A box truck where the box is separate from the cab would be a suitable alternative, as would a pickup truck.

Whatever you buy, make sure it can handle the weight of the sprayer and the liquid when it's full. Each gallon weighs about 8 lbs. so if you have a 200 gallon sprayer, you're looking at 1,600 lbs. + the weight of the spray tank unit. Also, you'll have to factor in your bags of fertilizer and spreader as well. Generally speaking, a Ford F-350 or a Chevy/GMC series 3,500 should be pretty good for you (if you decide to go with a pickup truck).

JB1
10-11-2010, 02:51 PM
get a pickup, you don't want to smell that crap.

fl-landscapes
10-11-2010, 03:50 PM
those fumes are not only unhealthy, they will also cause corosion inside the van, not a good thing

greenteamlawns
10-11-2010, 05:08 PM
thank you for the input. i didn't think about the effects of the chemical being inside the vehicle all day.

is a lesco space saver the best bet for the back of a truck?

What push spreader seems to be the best?

CHARLES CUE
10-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I would go with a space saver it will give you some bed sapce if you go with a fleet side bed.

If you went with a 1 ton with daul wheels and a flat bed you could turn a skid sprayer side ways.

Charles Cue

sedge
10-11-2010, 09:29 PM
I am buying a cab over diesel Isuzu for my new business we are starting this year, which is kinda a gm product depending on how you want to look at it.

Can buy good used ones for 6k, they are short and very dependable.

greenteamlawns
10-11-2010, 10:54 PM
what isuzu model is it?

lawn king
10-12-2010, 05:38 AM
The isuzu diesel/cabover is probably the most reliable worktruck ever built! I have been running one for 8 seasons, great worktrucks!

RBatten
10-12-2010, 06:25 AM
what isuzu model is it?

npr, nqr, npr hd

RAlmaroad
10-12-2010, 08:08 AM
At some point you may need to buy sod. With that in mind a full size pickup is essential because pallets are 4' and will not fit in a smaller truck. Also, your skid will need a heavy axel.

naughty62
10-13-2010, 06:46 AM
1 ton dually axle ,dump bed ,with gvwr as close to 16,000 lbs as possible .stay under 16,000gvwr .You can always add a sadddle and larger tank to draw from .check the gvwr and run it across a scale . you dont want a lead dump box .Multi purpose if you have the means to remove and reset your spraying rig .

azjojo99
10-13-2010, 07:38 AM
Why stay under 16,000 lbs? Just curious.

sedge
10-13-2010, 08:39 AM
The isuzu diesel/cabover is probably the most reliable worktruck ever built! I have been running one for 8 seasons, great worktrucks!

Yeps, my thoughst exactly. If I may inquire, whats your usual GVW and what is the MPG?

Ric
10-13-2010, 10:42 AM

Lawn King

I have you beat. My NPR is a 1993 model and a former TG/CL truck. But it only has 160,000 miles. Yep I paid $ 4200.00 for it in Dallas Texas and drove it home to Florida. But I had $ 15 K in it by the time I Capitalized the Travel, Remodeling and repainting. But it has a timeless design.

greenteamlawns

Don't over look buying a 12 enclosed trailer and pulling it with What ever. The trailer gives you the security of a van and the safety of no chemical in the truck. It also can be unhooked leaving your truck free to do other things. A ramp gate model is perfect for any kind of spread and Spray machine and your equipment and Chemicals stay safety enclosed day and night. One draw back might be the streets and parking in your area. But if you already have a lawn trailer you are used to dealing with that.

BTW A CPO in my town has a Hummer and pulls a Trailer with over 600 gallons of spray on it. In this case SHE unhooks the trailer and uses the Hummer as a Grocery getter.

Ric
10-13-2010, 11:00 AM
Yeps, my thoughst exactly. If I may inquire, whats your usual GVW and what is the MPG?

Sedge

My NPR being older has only a 130 hp Diesel engine. The newer models have a 195 hp diesel and get better MPG than my 12 MPG. My NPR is a 14,500 GVW or equal to a Ford F 450 GVW. Get the automatic transmission. I had a landscape Dump with a stick shift, What a PITA to drive. I was shifting into 3rd before 20 mph

Member Marc Smith and I have had a running argument WHICH HE WON, about the Isuzu with the 350 Chev Gasoline engine compared to the Diesel. My point was the Diesel doesn't break down but when it does it is EXPENSIVE. His point was a little better MPG with the 350 and a lot more power. But it also costs less and any back yard mechanic knows how to work on them. Replacement engines are cheap and easy to replace because of the forward tipping cab.

sedge
10-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Sedge

My NPR being older has only a 130 hp Diesel engine. The newer models have a 195 hp diesel and get better MPG than my 12 MPG. My NPR is a 14,500 GVW or equal to a Ford F 450 GVW. Get the automatic transmission. I had a landscape Dump with a stick shift, What a PITA to drive. I was shifting into 3rd before 20 mph

Member Marc Smith and I have had a running argument WHICH HE WON, about the Isuzu with the 350 Chev Gasoline engine compared to the Diesel. My point was the Diesel doesn't break down but when it does it is EXPENSIVE. His point was a little better MPG with the 350 and a lot more power. But it also costs less and any back yard mechanic knows how to work on them. Replacement engines are cheap and easy to replace because of the forward tipping cab.

That is precisely why I am going to sell my Duramax pickup, don't want to even think about any repair bills. The extra sales price takes about 5 to 7years in fuel savings to break even, not worth. I did though buy mine used, so not as bad.

I looked at some gas jobs, but thought the fuel mileage would be less, your saying that the 350 chevy gets better? if that is the case, I will start looking for one with a gas motor and your point is very well taken. The reason i was thinking an Isuzu is my cousin has them for service trucks and they routinely go 500k.

naughty62
10-14-2010, 08:15 AM
Why stay under 16,000 lbs? Just curious. Soon or later you may need to pull a trailer weither its for mower or material .Don not let the d.o.t. rip you a new one and finding a $10 a helper with a cdl can be difficult.

Ric
10-14-2010, 09:43 AM
That is precisely why I am going to sell my Duramax pickup, don't want to even think about any repair bills. The extra sales price takes about 5 to 7years in fuel savings to break even, not worth. I did though buy mine used, so not as bad.

I looked at some gas jobs, but thought the fuel mileage would be less, your saying that the 350 chevy gets better? if that is the case, I will start looking for one with a gas motor and your point is very well taken. The reason i was thinking an Isuzu is my cousin has them for service trucks and they routinely go 500k.

Sedge

I actually have a GMC Pickup with the 350 and overdrive automatic as well as the Isuzu. The Pickup is for structural PC and Isuzu is for L&O. My GMC pickup with the 300 gallon tank etc get 15 MPG My Cabover gets 12 MPG. In all fairness the Isuzu is equal to a F 450 and the pickup is a 3/4 ton.

I have friends with the Duramax and my advice is dump it as quick as possible they have had a ton of repairs. Dodge Cummis is a Great, even the best Engine/transmission but the truck falls apart around it. Fords 7.3 has been about the best diesel truck on the market so far. BUT they don't make it any more and they are high priced on the used market. I see no reason to buy brand new work trucks. There are enough soccer mom trading in those big crew cabs etc. Back in my father's Day truck only lasted 70 to 80 thousand miles. Today they go 250,000 miles easy.

When I bought my 130 hp Isuzu cabover I took into consideration I am a FLAT LANDER. Unless you have some big hills and are pulling a lot of weight, WHY have a big Engine???? I learned a lesson years ago when my 351 ford needed a valve job. A employee had a 4.3 chev 1500 and agreed to pull my 20 ft haulmark. Not only did 4.3 pull it with ease, it got 4 times better mileage. But then the 4.3 has been a great engine. I only wished they put the 4.3 in 3/4 ton work trucks.