PDA

View Full Version : Wholesale cost for Dylox

ICT Bill
10-11-2010, 04:56 PM
I was curious what you guys pay for dylox for grub control, if you go to the hardware store one bag treats 5000 sq ft at a cost of 19.95 so to treat an acre would be close to $200
What do you guys normally pay from your distributors

Turf Dawg
10-11-2010, 05:55 PM
I am giving 44.40 for a 30lb bag at my JDL/Lesco store. Suggested rate for grubs is 3lb per k so 10k per bag. I am a small solo opperation, so that might be on the high side.

Ric
10-11-2010, 07:27 PM
$ 27.03 a 30 pound Bag or $ 0.901 a pound for 6.2 Granular.

Liquid Dylox 420 $ 48.697 per gallon in 2.5 gallon jugs

These prices are from my Price list I get from my supplier. I have not purchased Dylox in several years. With Imidacloprid now off patent I can buy a 2.5 gallon Jug For under $ 200.00 and get 12.5 acres at high rate. I just can't afford NOT to use it.

Turf Dawg

The Lesson here is Lesco has never been competitve on pricing. Read old Threads here on LS of Tremor and Me arguing over Lesco pricing. Lesco has always depended on being the local supplier at higher prices.

gregory
10-11-2010, 09:01 PM
lesco's prices are high.... thats a pretty good price on the liquid dylox.......

does dylox go bad?

Shegardi
10-11-2010, 09:07 PM
$ 27.80 here per bag

Ric
10-11-2010, 10:24 PM
lesco's prices are high.... thats a pretty good price on the liquid dylox.......

does dylox go bad?

Gregory

Yes Granular Dylox has a shelf life and it is not real long. I am not real sure how long the shelf life is but I know at 6 to 8 months it is not good any more.

Liquid Dylox I am not sure of the shelf life. But I have kept it until the next season and used it successfully.

southernprecision
10-11-2010, 10:30 PM
We also purchase ours from JDL.. 41.75 per bag. Our branch did however offer a buy 3 get one half off in early spring '10.... maybe that shelf life had something to do with it.

Ric
10-11-2010, 11:19 PM

does dylox go bad?

Gregory

It might be worth saying that Dylox goes inert quickly in high pH soils. We have high pH soil in coastal Florida. Inland and Central Florida as well as North Florida have pretty good soil and pH in the 4.5 range in some pine woods.

You might want to buffer your water before mixing Liquid Dylox. pH will effect liquid Dylox. BTW I recently replaced my pH meter on E bay. I forget the exact price but with shipping it was under $ 30.00. So far I like the meter and it appears to be actuate. The Model was 600.

tlg
10-11-2010, 11:36 PM
Here in Southeast Michigan all of JDL / Lesco branches are out of Dylox. It seems Bayer has Dylox to sell but no bags to put the product in. At least that's what were told. It will be on back order until mid Nov. We are seeing a huge grub problem this year which depleted the stock. A bag is worth a whole lot more around here now than it was a few weeks ago. As a matter of company policy I won't tell you what we pay for Dylox. Let's just say it's better than retail. JDL dosen't tell anybody what I pay for product and I don't tell anybody what they sell it to me for.

Turf Dawg
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
$
Turf Dawg

The Lesson here is Lesco has never been competitve on pricing. Read old Threads here on LS of Tremor and Me arguing over Lesco pricing. Lesco has always depended on being the local supplier at higher prices.

You are right about JDL/Lesco being a little higher to quite higher depending on what product and amount purchased over another place I can buy from. The trouble for me is my location. Both places that I like to use are about 60 miles away. For me to get to the JDL/Lesco store I can take mostly Farm to Market roads and it always takes about the same amount of time. For me to get to Estes {the other place I like} I have to take I35 going through some of the larger North Texas towns towards the Metroplex and that can take 1.25 to 3 hours one way depending on traffic. And the traffic is a big crap shoot.

Harley-D
10-12-2010, 11:43 AM

I know that they are still competitive. Not with everyone, and not all the time. The larger you are, the better deal you get. Just like all business is handled. And if you buy 1000 bags, and want 1000 bag pricing but want to pick up one bag at a time, you will pay more. Take a business class if this still doesn't make sense.

Ric
10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I know that they are still competitive. Not with everyone, and not all the time. The larger you are, the better deal you get. Just like all business is handled. And if you buy 1000 bags, and want 1000 bag pricing but want to pick up one bag at a time, you will pay more. Take a business class if this still doesn't make sense.

I will never forget how my marketing professor made a big point about selling perception. His favor example was the Japanese and how they captured the American Motorcycle market with the catchphrase "You Meet The Nicest People on a Honda"

BTW My Accounting teacher said warehousing was part of the Cost of Goods Sold.

Harley-D
10-13-2010, 09:52 AM
I will never forget how my marketing professor made a big point about selling perception. His favor example was the Japanese and how they captured the American Motorcycle market with the catchphrase "You Meet The Nicest People on a Honda"

BTW My Accounting teacher said warehousing was part of the Cost of Goods Sold.

Accountants are hilarious people imo. Spend that much time with numbers and you start talking to yourself. Warehousing is part of COGS but that this just cost allocation. Talking time to load 1000 bags, one at a time, is a variable cost control issue. Variable costs come out after COGS when determining Net income and EBIT.

Ric
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Accountants are hilarious people imo. Spend that much time with numbers and you start talking to yourself. Warehousing is part of COGS but that this just cost allocation. Talking time to load 1000 bags, one at a time, is a variable cost control issue. Variable costs come out after COGS when determining Net income and EBIT.

Honda D

Does the D stand for your Honda 305 Dream?? If I remember correctly, that bike and my last accounting class were the same year. BTW I am proud to say I never owned or even rode a Honda Dream. But I am sure you like your vintage Honda Dream. :drinkup:

Harley-D
10-13-2010, 02:19 PM
Ha ha. Yep. Springer softtail 1994 with the old Evo engine in it. Love it but with a little one running around, i find it hard to find the time to ride. Also busy with the last two classes of an MBA so riding is taking a back seat right now. I can't wait to be where you're at, retired and loving it, right? LOL

Ric
10-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Ha ha. Yep. Springer softtail 1994 with the old Evo engine in it. Love it but with a little one running around, i find it hard to find the time to ride. Also busy with the last two classes of an MBA so riding is taking a back seat right now. I can't wait to be where you're at, retired and loving it, right? LOL

Honda D

You say you like your 305 Dream? Why Not ride it to class.

cgaengineer
10-13-2010, 03:00 PM
The last 2 bags of Dylox I purchased 2+ years ago were right under $100 for the 2, so between $45-$50 per bag. Each bag covered about 10k from what I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

tlg
10-13-2010, 05:04 PM
Gregory

Yes Granular Dylox has a shelf life and it is not real long. I am not real sure how long the shelf life is but I know at 6 to 8 months it is not good any more.

Liquid Dylox I am not sure of the shelf life. But I have kept it until the next season and used it successfully.

Ric, What do you base the Dylox shelf life time on ? Is this from your own experience or is there info some where that I can read. I have done some looking and can't find any good data. I know we have used product that is more than six months old at times..... so I really need answers. To be honest I never gave it much concern. Any info would be appreciated.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
10-13-2010, 05:20 PM
lesco here,under $60 a bag for 30#,i am getting ripped..

Ric
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Ric, What do you base the Dylox shelf life time on ? Is this from your own experience or is there info some where that I can read. I have done some looking and can't find any good data. I know we have used product that is more than six months old at times..... so I really need answers. To be honest I never gave it much concern. Any info would be appreciated.

Tig

I am in the Grub Capital of America. Some how our Salt water Canal property gets more Grubs than surrounding areas. This seems to be true of Surrounding Towns with Man made Salt Water Canals. Besides the Mask Chafer and Scarab Beetle. We have the Sugar Cane Grub that even the U of F has been unable to complete a study of it's life cycle.

Yes It comes from both Practical Experience and conversations with the now retired Bayer Rep. BTW Bayer no longer guarantees Merit in our area if that tells you any thing about our Grub problem.

southernprecision
10-13-2010, 07:08 PM
RIC

We might be able to compete with you on that "Grub Capital" status this year. In the past three days we have treated 45 lawns... finding grub activity in 13 of them. The worst part is that we normally consider activity as finding 3 or so psf...this year we are finding 6 to 8 psf. We have the bay and gulf close by but no canals...