PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes Grabbing

ed2hess
10-11-2010, 07:13 PM
What causes the trailer brakes to grab. I know about the two adjustments
on the controller and that helps some but? Since these are one year old could it be the gap has widened and if I adjust the bands closer to the drum it would help?

seabee1
10-11-2010, 11:49 PM
if you adjust the shoe's closer to the drum they will just grab sooner ! the drums could have Axel grease ,oil ,or just has rust on the drum .check the control for adjustability it may have the rheostat inside burned out . check out the control first then check the adjustment on the drums ,check the shoes and drums for rust ,being out of round shoe's worn out ,grease or oil on the shoes .

ed2hess
10-12-2010, 11:49 PM
if you adjust the shoe's closer to the drum they will just grab sooner ! the drums could have Axel grease ,oil ,or just has rust on the drum .check the control for adjustability it may have the rheostat inside burned out . check out the control first then check the adjustment on the drums ,check the shoes and drums for rust ,being out of round shoe's worn out ,grease or oil on the shoes .

What do the two controls on teh controller do? According to the LED one goes from 0 to 9. The other one goes up in increments of .5 and I am set for about 1.5 on that one.

seabee1
10-12-2010, 11:59 PM
:confused:what brand and model controller do you have ?

ed2hess
10-13-2010, 09:50 PM
:confused:what brand and model controller do you have ?
Looks like it is Drawtite and Activator III. I'll take the tires off tomorrow but these were replaced last year. There are two controls on the box one is a slider (0 - 9) and a rotory dial (.5 - probably 10.). I know that if I move the rotory to 3.5 I can skid the tires with a load when braking. So I am guessing that the rotory puts more voltage on the brakes. The slider must have something to do with how quick they respond to my depressing the pedal. And seems to affect the disengaging. Moving the slider doesn't seem to affect the grabbing. I will check for oil and rust tomorrow.

seabee1
10-13-2010, 10:41 PM
here is the web site address for drawtite with the control ,click on the blue tab for installation instructions ,it has the control functions and how to adjust them and you can print them down .

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1405&part=5520 good luck !

ed2hess
10-14-2010, 10:32 PM
here is the web site address for drawtite with the control ,click on the blue tab for installation instructions ,it has the control functions and how to adjust them and you can print them down .

http://www.draw-tite.com/content/products.aspx?lvl=3&parentid=0&catID=1405&part=5520 good luck !

Thanks for the information.