PDA

View Full Version : Deciding before I myself be the bottleneck to my business

soloscaperman
10-12-2010, 02:08 AM
Bare with me since it's really late and I usually don't make sense since I am tired and I have a lot of things on my mind. I am hitting a bottle neck with just myself doing around 25 lawns a week. You think that is little but there is a catch. First they are large lawns that need perfection since there located in high end area's with high competition.

I was looking at maybe getting a second person next year for side jobs. It's just painful to mow lawns and do large side jobs. Mulch, fall cleanups are just slow and painful by myself and other side work. I have a lot of lawns in the same area so spreading them out on more days is senseless and not efficient. I am serious most of my lawns are on the same streets. You have to think that you need around 2-3 days to catch up if there is a rain on the forecast for a solo operator. I guess what I am asking is should I hire someone just for side jobs or for mowing. I know that if I hire someone else for mowing I better get more mowing accounts. Not sure if I should take the risk.

Richard Martin
10-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Try to bring someone on parttime to help with the "side" jobs and as a second hand for when the mowing gets behind. If you're like me then you're really picky about the mowing end of things. Starting someone out right into mowing may drive you crazy. Train them and get them used to the way you want things done on work that may not be as critical as mowing. That way when you do need them fulltime he/she will be ready to go.

Scagmower48
10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
How many hours do you work a week during the summer?

hackitdown
10-12-2010, 07:43 AM
You should have no problem finding help on a part time basis. It is easier to use the helper to do mowing, once they are trained, they can work on their own. You will be surprised how much more work you will get done. Fall cleanups are way, way faster with 2 guys.

MR-G
10-12-2010, 07:56 AM
The only way to make any money is to hire a crew and eventually more crews...otherwise you are going to severely limit your income ability...we have 3 crews of 3 and growing....there is no easy way...you have to expand to make good money. hire someone and train them how to do ANYTHING that may need done...all My guys have the ability to do all jobs needed...dont just put someone on mowing or mulching, ect...train them to do it ALL......

MR-G
10-12-2010, 08:02 AM
How many hours do you work a week during the summer?We work 40 hrs per week all year round here..if we need to put in more hours we just hire more people...40 hrs is my limit for my guys....and we rarely work on saturday and never on a sunday.....

gasracer
10-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Myself I try not to take on very many side jobs unless it is at the end of season and I have some free time. I have a part time helper. I won't give up my regular mowing customers just to do a one time side job.

djlunchbox
10-16-2010, 09:18 AM
what part of the state are you in again? i see signs all over my area advertising for guys that just want to labor hard for cheap.