PDA

View Full Version : Mowing season in Central Tennessee

cmos123
10-12-2010, 03:20 PM
I currently live in Austin Texas, and I have been considering moving to Tennessee. Does anyone here know how long the mowing season is there? Here in Austin it starts around the middle of March and starts to slow the 1st of Oct. Before I plan my move I would like to know the exact mowing season. Thanks.

Kernelpanic
10-12-2010, 04:32 PM
Middle of April to the end of September.. roughly

TNGrassCutter
10-12-2010, 06:53 PM
I started April 1 and ended last week but it was really dry here if it had been normal it wouldve lasted a few weeks longer

Tennesseepowerstroke
10-12-2010, 07:01 PM
I started around the second week of April. As previously stated, if we had some rain, it would last through about the third week of October. I mowed a couple of lawns today but it has been two weeks since I did any mowing. Last year I had a few that wanted service through Thanksgiving week. I would have thought Texas would have had a longer season by a few weeks but maybe not.

corey4671
10-12-2010, 07:14 PM
if I have overseeded with ryegrass I start mowing middle of march. AS has been stated, if we'd been getting the rain, we'd still be mowing here. Season pretty well died about three weeks ago here. We are getting some decent rain this evening but it's too little too late. Did some overseeding today so it will help in that regard.

dustinnice
10-12-2010, 07:21 PM
beginning of april to mid october on the cumberland plateau

cut level
10-12-2010, 08:49 PM
1st of April haven't mowed in two weeks. Prolly get 1 more cut on all. Had a handful of installs and cleanups so far and expect a few more
Posted via Mobile Device

cmos123
10-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. It seems to be pretty close to the same season.

Tennesseepowerstroke
10-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Are you wanting to move just for a longer mower season or is that a big part of your decision?

Southern Lawn Maintenance
10-13-2010, 10:51 AM
Same here as the others have said. This year started first of April and havnt really did anything the past 2-3 weeks. Did get some rain last night finally.

1993lx172
10-13-2010, 03:49 PM
I started the last week in March with some aerations and dethatchings with a mowing or two thrown in the last couple days of the month, and this year I maybe have one cut left on a few of them. All told I should be done by the first week of Nov.

It really depends but you can expect a season lasting from the last week in March to the first week of Oct., first week in Nov. at the latest.

cmos123
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
We want to move because we are tired of it being over 100 degrees three months out of the year, and before we get too serious about a location, I want to make sure that I do not loose money due to less mowing. I assumed that the mowing season up there would be shorter than it is due to the winters.

cut level
10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
Its just my opinion but would it be super hard to pick up from Texas and move to any state and set up shop making money with lawncare? To me its no different than starting over. This may not be your full time job I dont know.

TNGrassCutter
10-14-2010, 04:46 PM
Its just my opinion but would it be super hard to pick up from Texas and move to any state and set up shop making money with lawncare? To me its no different than starting over. This may not be your full time job I dont know.

I agree with him it will be hard I know in Clarksville where I live I can't drive down the road without passing somebody with a mower

gasracer
10-14-2010, 05:35 PM
I agree with him it will be hard I know in Clarksville where I live I can't drive down the road without passing somebody with a mower

I would have to second that from here in Nashville.It has taken me over 3 years to get enough customers to make anything at it. You have to fight with the "cheapo" guys(Walmart mowers in the back of a truck) and the ethnic groups willing to do it for nothing.It is a battle.

gasracer
10-14-2010, 05:37 PM
We want to move because we are tired of it being over 100 degrees three months out of the year, and before we get too serious about a location, I want to make sure that I do not loose money due to less mowing. I assumed that the mowing season up there would be shorter than it is due to the winters.

May we remind you that it gets that hot here also.

gasracer
10-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I have wore prescription safety glasses(permanent side shields) for many years before I started mowing. This year I had a pair of very good polarized safety sunglasses made($300). Both my clear and sunglasses are bifocal. I switch between them depending on the time of day. If it gets overcast the sunglasses make it look like it is almost dark.

ed2hess
10-14-2010, 10:11 PM
And what about the fact that we now are looking at 7 months of near perfect weather:hammerhead: We only shut down a few weeks in January other than that the trucks are on the road all the time the rest the year. You have to add commerical to extend the season........

TNGrassCutter
10-14-2010, 10:35 PM
I have wore prescription safety glasses(permanent side shields) for many years before I started mowing. This year I had a pair of very good polarized safety sunglasses made($300). Both my clear and sunglasses are bifocal. I switch between them depending on the time of day. If it gets overcast the sunglasses make it look like it is almost dark.

Ummm did you post this on the wrong thread??

gasracer
10-14-2010, 10:41 PM
Ummm did you post this on the wrong thread??

Sorry I tried to delete it. My mouse was over the back or forward button on the thread I wanted to post that too and it jumped.

lifetree
10-14-2010, 11:17 PM
... It really depends but you can expect a season lasting from the last week in March to the first week of Oct., first week in Nov. at the latest.

Yes, I agree with this !!

Cashmonysonny
11-24-2010, 05:13 PM
2nd week of March for commercials and 1st week of April for residentials

Southern Elegance
11-26-2010, 07:12 PM
we go year round. we do cut back to every 2 weeks from dec -feb

gasracer
11-27-2010, 09:27 AM
we go year round. we do cut back to every 2 weeks from dec -feb

I have to ask,What do you mow from Dec. to Feb.?Things can't be that different 110 miles away. Everything has been dead here since late Sept. Finishing up my leave work today and storing everything till March. Most of the time I have everything stored by the First week of Nov.