PDA

View Full Version : Back patio drainage

fredmullegun
10-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I ran into a problem where a houst has a build on back patio with a tin roof. the runoff from this dug a hole all along the back edge and now it holds water after rain which gets the concrete slab wet. the back yard has excellent drainage except for right where the runoff goes.

My question is beyond a gutter is there a solution to allow for the runoff but not have it hurt the landscape? I was thinking dig it out and put loose large rocks or flagstone. Extending the concrete is not an option because it will always become dirty.

White Gardens
10-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Ya, that should work.

Just pack some dirt and larger stones in.

If it's in the turf, just add dirt and a chunk of good sod over it.

By Us Company
10-13-2010, 09:06 PM
Even just 3/4" drainage stone would work about 6" out past the drip line. If water still collects in the area run a 4" perforated pipe under the stone to the closest drainage area.

shovelracer
10-13-2010, 09:16 PM
You could look into one of those splash shields that spreads out the runoff instead of a gutter. Forget the name off hand. My problem with roof runoff is even if it goes into stones you will have a sufficient amount of splashing back toward the structure. Whenever possible a gutter and properly directed downspout is the way to go.

fredmullegun
10-14-2010, 04:15 PM
You could look into one of those splash shields that spreads out the runoff instead of a gutter. Forget the name off hand. My problem with roof runoff is even if it goes into stones you will have a sufficient amount of splashing back toward the structure. Whenever possible a gutter and properly directed downspout is the way to go.

I have some type of a shield. It makes it where the water is a sheet of water instead of being directed by the tin roof.

I know what you mean about splashing though. A gutter downspout will just look out of place there. I will post some picture and see if you guys have any ideas. I don't think i described it well.