PDA

View Full Version : Disadvantages of a box truck?

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I've been looking at cube vans lately as a lawn and landscape maintenance truck.

I'm wanting to know what disadvantages you guys can think of. Only things I can think of is not having space for debris. Not being able to plow really doesn't matter as it will make a perfect shovel/salt rig.

My mowing crew consists of a 48" Viking, 36" Metro and soon to add 60" Turf Tracer.
I also plan to carry my landscape maintenance tools, bush trimmers and hand tools. Also irrigation parts.
Hoping after those tools are loaded I still have GVW left for a small air compressor and an extra deep cycle battery for an inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-12-2010, 08:11 PM
I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.

h2oskier
10-12-2010, 08:19 PM
Dis advantage your truck breaks down, in the shop for a week, so is your business

MR-G
10-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Dis advantage your truck breaks down, in the shop for a week, so is your businessif any of my trucks were down for a week i would have someones head...lol.....we do ALL our own repairs...even trannys....never down more than a day or two.:usflag:

KE-llc
10-12-2010, 08:30 PM
can't bag grass, can't remove storm debris, good luck pruning properties with that truck. all it can do it mow grass, no plowing, no hauling material or debris.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-12-2010, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't be getting rid of the pickup and trailer. Any large debris could haul out in that.

I do my own repairs in house too.

Snow plowing it would make a perfect shoveling rig. 2 single stages and a two stage then a pallet of salt and push spreaders.

The lawns I bag I'm thinking I would approach them with the idea of having cans there I can dump in then I could come around at the end of the week and empty cans into the dump.
Posted via Mobile Device

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-12-2010, 08:43 PM
And the boxes I'm looking at are 14 and 16 footers. On Chevy one ton chassis.
Posted via Mobile Device

4 seasons lawn&land
10-12-2010, 08:55 PM
I want one too but the main things that kill me with that are, the fact that I could put a dump on it instead and I cant plow with it. For me I see it as a third or fourth truck. But theres a fine line between sufficient equipment and way too much overhead.

This is where the switch n go concept is cool.

Schuley
10-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Im not sure of cost, but you can get a Super Lawn Truck with a debris dumper on it for hauling stuff.... thats probably going to be my next buy. I can just have a guy follow along with the dump trailer for cleanups and stuff untill then.

yardguy28
10-12-2010, 09:53 PM
I use a 10' cube van but want to get a 12' van next year. Vans have much more advantages than trailers.

Your equipment is not open to the elements should it rain and is not visible to potential thieves, smaller footprint for parking, and can be used for storage both in season and off for your equipment.

every hear of enclosed trailers..........

i think if your personal vehicle is seperate from your work vehicle you would be ok using a van truck.

i would never considering anything but a pickup/trailer. i can think of plenty of places i can manuever my truck and trailer into that you could never get a cube van into.

not to mention my work truck is my personal truck as well.

a huge disadvantage for me is the height from which your loading and unloading equipment. a ramp that steep is not something i'm interested in dealing with ever. trailers are much lower to the ground. much safer.

also there are times when some jobs i do don't require me to pull a trailer at all so i just have the truck. i wouldn't want to haul a 10' or 12' van truck to a job that only required a pickup.

The LawnRanger
10-12-2010, 10:11 PM
I own a 2010 Isuzu Diesel with open Landscaper bed with Detachable dovetail and I like mine very well enclosed would be nice for one reason and that would be to keep equipment out of elements I have a morton building I keep mine in so not really in the elements any ways. As far as doing clean up work I use it just detach the dovetail and the bed is a dump bed Pictures on my profile or go to Pictures thread under my new rig Im very happy with mine I looked at the enclosed ones also and seen more pros in getting the open landscaper

Agape
10-12-2010, 10:25 PM
I've been looking at cube vans lately as a lawn and landscape maintenance truck.

I'm wanting to know what disadvantages you guys can think of. Only things I can think of is not having space for debris. Not being able to plow really doesn't matter as it will make a perfect shovel/salt rig.

My mowing crew consists of a 48" Viking, 36" Metro and soon to add 60" Turf Tracer.
I also plan to carry my landscape maintenance tools, bush trimmers and hand tools. Also irrigation parts.
Hoping after those tools are loaded I still have GVW left for a small air compressor and an extra deep cycle battery for an inverter.
Posted via Mobile Device

you will reeeaaally miss the truck and open trailer in the leaf season.

Richard Martin
10-12-2010, 10:28 PM
I would be very concerned about the cost of the fuel to drive the cube van around and then to come back at the end of the week just to pick up the grass clippings. In your case a 1/2 ton pickup with a 6 by 12 trailer would be fine and as economical as it gets.

bradseabridge
10-12-2010, 10:33 PM
I own a 2010 Isuzu Diesel with open Landscaper bed with Detachable dovetail and I like mine very well enclosed would be nice for one reason and that would be to keep equipment out of elements I have a morton building I keep mine in so not really in the elements any ways. As far as doing clean up work I use it just detach the dovetail and the bed is a dump bed Pictures on my profile or go to Pictures thread under my new rig Im very happy with mine I looked at the enclosed ones also and seen more pros in getting the open landscaper

Man, THAT THIS IS AWESOME!!! I want one of those so bad, exactly like that, removable dovetail and a dump bed. I just don't want the crew cab the standard cab is all I need.

PLS-Tx
10-12-2010, 10:59 PM
We have been thinking about getting a box truck. I do not want our employees pulling a trailer.

I would keep the truck and enclosed trailer we are using now, so if the box truck had to go in the shop it would not be a problem.

As far as bagging grass, plowing snow, or hauling leaves we don't do any of that.

beamslawnservice
10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
i'm thinking of getting one with a 16' bed just for mowing i pull a 16' tailer now and i think it would be easier to drive around just for mowing if i need to haul off debree on a job i would just take my open trailer to mow that day beem thinking about this all season everything dry and safe much easier to manuver but i do think you need more than one truck in this bussiness as far as height just have a dove tail with ramp put on the back it what i'm going to do

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-13-2010, 03:30 PM
I will still have a truck and trailer around so I'm not thattttttt worried about the debris. Worse case, the one day we bag lawns I will just follow in the truck (it'll be my "personal" truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LawnRanger
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
Man, THAT THIS IS AWESOME!!! I want one of those so bad, exactly like that, removable dovetail and a dump bed. I just don't want the crew cab the standard cab is all I need.
Bed manufactured by Wil-ro inc. out of Gallatin Tn. they have a video of how the dovetail comes off and the dump bed in action check it out I gave $52,000 for truck brand new had it bout a month now I still have a trailer and my truck but I had to keep it so I can haul my Bobcat when we do hard scape and Pools

PTP
10-13-2010, 03:36 PM
A major disadvantage for me is the issue that arises when a truck breaks down. With a truck/trailer setup, I can and have simply swapped out the truck and kept on going. I have never had a trailer that wouldn't pull yet but I suppose that buying a new one on the spur of a moment would work if nothing else would.

With a box truck, what are you going to do? Are you going to put everything on hold while you get a new water pump installed? I think that you would still need some sort of a back up system - either another box truck or a truck/trailer combo that could be put into service with short notice. Other than that, I am all for it.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-13-2010, 04:02 PM
My plan includes three trucks. A cube for the lawn crew. A dump for the landscape crew. And my personal pickup.

I would buy a used cube van as they seem to be very reasonable in price. You can't buy a half ton and an enclosed for the price of a cube van.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-13-2010, 04:24 PM
We have been thinking about getting a box truck. I do not want our employees pulling a trailer.

I would keep the truck and enclosed trailer we are using now, so if the box truck had to go in the shop it would not be a problem.

As far as bagging grass, plowing snow, or hauling leaves we don't do any of that.

and your reason for this would be........

pulling a trailer is NOT rocket science. you don't need special training or a special license either. i never pulled a trailer in my life until i started my lawn business. and i never had anyone teach me anything or any practice.

when i started my business i just went out bought a truck and and trailer and drove it home and started working the next day.

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to pass off pulling a trailer as a casual thing. you need to be more alert and drive more defensively than you do just driving a vehicle everyday but like i said it's not rocket science. i think it took me a whole 2 days if that to get use to stopping, turning and backing up.

BrunoT
10-13-2010, 09:08 PM
Higher initial cost
Poor visability to rear
Manuverability vs truck/trailer?
Width on narrow streets?
Height clearance?
Lack of flexibility vs truck with a bed.
Can't use it for personal use.
Can't garage it unless you have a very tall one.
Resale market not as liquid perhaps as for pickups and trailers.
May not be able to park it in residentially zoned areas.
Security issues if you're buying it thinking your gear will be safe inside it.

BrunoT
10-13-2010, 09:52 PM

pulling a trailer is NOT rocket science. you don't need special training or a special license either. i never pulled a trailer in my life until i started my lawn business. and i never had anyone teach me anything or any practice.

when i started my business i just went out bought a truck and and trailer and drove it home and started working the next day.

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to pass off pulling a trailer as a casual thing. you need to be more alert and drive more defensively than you do just driving a vehicle everyday but like i said it's not rocket science. i think it took me a whole 2 days if that to get use to stopping, turning and backing up.

Maybe you need some perspective on this. I ran a company where employees drove heavy open custom trailers using flatbed duallys and HD vans as tow vehicles. Accidents happened a couple times a year at least, including some that could have been fatal except for pure luck. Sometimes it was just backing into something, other times taking out a post cutting a corner, or just rear ending a car in traffic. Trailers just do not stop like vehicles with the cargo area built-in.

And these were mostly highly motivated older college students who had none of the drug, attitude, or intelligence problems you might find with lawncare workers. Employees are not owners. They are not going to always be as careful, as focused, or safety conscious as you'd like.

So if someone has employees I can see the rationale in going a route to avoid trailers. Then again, large trucks are no picnic either. But trailering definitely is worth some special training time. There have been some ugly accidents with trailers over the years.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Bruno, I'm looking at used ones. They seem to be cheaper than pickups, and the trailer is built in saving the cost of an enclosed.

I can't park my trailer at home, so that's no different.

I'm not trying to be rude, just breaking down what would actually be a disadvantage. Only one bothering me is the ability to haul clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
10-14-2010, 01:24 AM

Do you have employees? My guess would be no.

I''m not saying it cant' be done but I am saying that I don't want to do it. I also realize that driving a box truck is not like driving a 1/2 ton but I do think the risk would be less than them pulling a trailer.

Richard Martin
10-14-2010, 03:19 AM
There have been some ugly accidents with trailers over the years.

We just had a very, very nasty accident here. I'm going to start a new thread on trailer safety in a few minutes.

yardguy28
10-14-2010, 05:15 PM
Maybe you need some perspective on this. I ran a company where employees drove heavy open custom trailers using flatbed duallys and HD vans as tow vehicles. Accidents happened a couple times a year at least, including some that could have been fatal except for pure luck. Sometimes it was just backing into something, other times taking out a post cutting a corner, or just rear ending a car in traffic. Trailers just do not stop like vehicles with the cargo area built-in.

And these were mostly highly motivated older college students who had none of the drug, attitude, or intelligence problems you might find with lawncare workers. Employees are not owners. They are not going to always be as careful, as focused, or safety conscious as you'd like.

So if someone has employees I can see the rationale in going a route to avoid trailers. Then again, large trucks are no picnic either. But trailering definitely is worth some special training time. There have been some ugly accidents with trailers over the years.

all those senarios could happen with the owner of the business pulling the truck/trailer as well. and all those senario's could happen with a box truck as well.

i really don't think you need any training to pull a trailer. i'm not the brightest apple in the bunch and i figured it out. i barely made it out of highschool.

Do you have employees? My guess would be no.

I''m not saying it cant' be done but I am saying that I don't want to do it. I also realize that driving a box truck is not like driving a 1/2 ton but I do think the risk would be less than them pulling a trailer.

no i don't have employees but if or when i do they will be driving trucks pulling trailers for sure. hell i might even have my first employee do the driving in my truck and trailer while i sit as a passenger and return phone calls. and that truck is my personal truck as well.

SNAPPER MAN
10-14-2010, 05:23 PM
Yardguy, you have a very different business mentality than the rest of us. I think everyone understands what I mean when I say that.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-14-2010, 06:35 PM
every hear of enclosed trailers..........

i think if your personal vehicle is separate from your work vehicle you would be ok using a van truck.

i would never considering anything but a pickup/trailer. i can think of plenty of places i can maneuver my truck and trailer into that you could never get a cube van into.

not to mention my work truck is my personal truck as well.

a huge disadvantage for me is the height from which your loading and unloading equipment. a ramp that steep is not something i'm interested in dealing with ever. trailers are much lower to the ground. much safer.

also there are times when some jobs i do don't require me to pull a trailer at all so i just have the truck. i wouldn't want to haul a 10' or 12' van truck to a job that only required a pickup.

A cube van has a much smaller parking footprint in length then a pick-up towing a trailer. The only restriction I have is height should a customer have trees next to their driveway or street with low hanging branches. But- I can pull into a lot of short driveways a truck and trailer couldn't.

My cube van is strictly a work vehicle, I have a separate car for personal use. Two vehicles- one driver so insurance is low, only about a 1/3 more then just my car on the policy.

As far as any jobs that would require me to haul away debris I schedule them before or after any mowing or leaf mulching jobs. Never in between. For example last week I had job to raise the crown on a very tall and huge pine tree by 15' next to a house. It had branches up to 20 feet long starting at ground level. The only equipment I put in the van were a chain saw, pole saw, wood saw horse, wheelbarrow, pruning shears, handheld blower and a push-mower with bag for debris pick-up. No need to load up anything unnecessary such as a rider, trimmers, backpack blowers ect, they can stay in the garage at home. I cut down the branches, dragged them near the curb, cut them in 5' lengths, loaded the cut up branches in the van, went back with the push-mower w/bag to collect the debris, put that in one bag, put the mower and the rest of my stuff on the end and went home for lunch. Unloaded my equipment and the branches for cutting up smaller later, (I'll use them for my fireplace when seasoned) loaded up my mowers etc and did 2 leaf mulching jobs that afternoon and called it a day.

Another advange to having a cube van over a truck towing a open trailer is I have NEVER been pulled over by a cop, but I've seen plenty of open trailers pulled over in my travels. The reason is a cop can't see inside a van, but can easily see any violations with a open trailer such as being overloaded or equipment improperly secured.

I have nothing against using trailers enclosed or open, I just prefer using a cube van.

sdk1959
10-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Dis advantage your truck breaks down, in the shop for a week, so is your business

So if the TRUCK you use to PULL your trailer breaks down and is in the shop for a week how is that any different?????:dizzy:

sdk1959
10-14-2010, 07:20 PM
A major disadvantage for me is the issue that arises when a truck breaks down. With a truck/trailer setup, I can and have simply swapped out the truck and kept on going. I have never had a trailer that wouldn't pull yet but I suppose that buying a new one on the spur of a moment would work if nothing else would.

With a box truck, what are you going to do? Are you going to put everything on hold while you get a new water pump installed? I think that you would still need some sort of a back up system - either another box truck or a truck/trailer combo that could be put into service with short notice. Other than that, I am all for it.

Plain box trucks can be rented (no U-Haul, Rider). If you want signage have magnetic signs made up to use for that event.

yardguy28
10-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Yardguy, you have a very different business mentality than the rest of us. I think everyone understands what I mean when I say that.
Posted via Mobile Device

won't arguee there........

A cube van has a much smaller parking footprint in length then a pick-up towing a trailer. The only restriction I have is height should a customer have trees next to their driveway or street with low hanging branches. But- I can pull into a lot of short driveways a truck and trailer couldn't.

My cube van is strictly a work vehicle, I have a separate car for personal use. Two vehicles- one driver so insurance is low, only about a 1/3 more then just my car on the policy.

As far as any jobs that would require me to haul away debris I schedule them before or after any mowing or leaf mulching jobs. Never in between. For example last week I had job to raise the crown on a very tall and huge pine tree by 15' next to a house. It had branches up to 20 feet long starting at ground level. The only equipment I put in the van were a chain saw, pole saw, wood saw horse, wheelbarrow, pruning shears, handheld blower and a push-mower with bag for debris pick-up. No need to load up anything unnecessary such as a rider, trimmers, backpack blowers ect, they can stay in the garage at home. I cut down the branches, dragged them near the curb, cut them in 5' lengths, loaded the cut up branches in the van, went back with the push-mower w/bag to collect the debris, put that in one bag, put the mower and the rest of my stuff on the end and went home for lunch. Unloaded my equipment and the branches for cutting up smaller later, (I'll use them for my fireplace when seasoned) loaded up my mowers etc and did 2 leaf mulching jobs that afternoon and called it a day.

Another advange to having a cube van over a truck towing a open trailer is I have NEVER been pulled over by a cop, but I've seen plenty of open trailers pulled over in my travels. The reason is a cop can't see inside a van, but can easily see any violations with a open trailer such as being overloaded or equipment improperly secured.

I have nothing against using trailers enclosed or open, I just prefer using a cube van.

well for starters i never pull into a clients driveway. always on the street infront of the clients property.

i would think to save as much gas possbile you would run as tight a route as possible. i wouldn't want to go out and do all mowing for the day then go back to the shop to get a different truck or trailer and go do the debris jobs, especially if the debris job fell in the middle of my mowing route for the day and the debris being collected would fit in the back of the pick up truck.

i pull an enclosed trailer and i've been pulled over by the police. checking my weight because i didn't have DOT numbers.

sdk1959
10-14-2010, 07:57 PM
won't arguee there........

well for starters i never pull into a clients driveway. always on the street infront of the clients property.

i would think to save as much gas possible you would run as tight a route as possible. i wouldn't want to go out and do all mowing for the day then go back to the shop to get a different truck or trailer and go do the debris jobs, especially if the debris job fell in the middle of my mowing route for the day and the debris being collected would fit in the back of the pick up truck.

i pull an enclosed trailer and i've been pulled over by the police. checking my weight because i didn't have DOT numbers.

Most cases I do park in the street but if there is no place to park and it's ok with the customer I will park in their driveway. I don't do many debris jobs but if you are only towing a trailer with all your equipment on it a pick-up truck bed without sides really does not hold all that much debris anyway. I've been able to put almost as much in the end of my box cube van if needed.

sdk1959
10-14-2010, 08:04 PM
Bruno, I'm looking at used ones. They seem to be cheaper than pickups, and the trailer is built in saving the cost of an enclosed.

I'm not trying to be rude, just breaking down what would actually be a disadvantage. Only one bothering me is the ability to haul clippings.
Posted via Mobile Device

Why couldn't you haul clippings? If your trailer doesn't dump what's the difference. Pull out most of the grass clippings with a rake and use your blower for the rest.

yardguy28
10-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Most cases I do park in the street but if there is no place to park and it's ok with the customer I will park in their driveway. I don't do many debris jobs but if you are only towing a trailer with all your equipment on it a pick-up truck bed without sides really does not hold all that much debris anyway. I've been able to put almost as much in the end of my box cube van if needed.

i can get a good amount of stuff in my pick up bed when needed.

i try to schedule debris jobs all on the same day so i can just take my open trailer with me but if a job comes up that would fall in the middle of a mowing route one day and it's a small enough job i can get the stuff in my pick up bed i have no problem doing it.

you can get a lot of shrub clippings in the bed of a pick up........

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-14-2010, 10:19 PM
The more I think about it I usually don't get more than what I can fit into a 100 gallon garbage can. Most of the bagged lawns get dumped onsite. Fill the can and roll it into the van.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LawnRanger
10-14-2010, 10:26 PM
I like having the dump bed on my Landscaper very handy I have already done 2 tree removal jobs with it and came in handy and save time and back

Marek
10-15-2010, 06:04 PM
What about a box truck that gets in an accident ? That is my big turn offs on the Isuzu truck. If you look at Isuzu's web site for other places they have air bags and side impact air bags , here they have nothing. Ford now has everything as standard equipment and Chevrolet is optional. I was looking at the Superlawn truck but came back to the enclosed trailer as we do alot of snow .

jeremy's lc
10-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I have a ford lcf truck with a side dump for debris & a vanscape body on the back. I can put 1 60in toro, 1 48in walker, 1 42in walker,a honda push mower, 3 blowers, 4 trimmers, 1 backpack sprayer & water cooler all in the back. Wouldn't go back to pulling a trailer at all.

The LawnRanger
10-15-2010, 08:54 PM
What about a box truck that gets in an accident ? That is my big turn offs on the Isuzu truck. If you look at Isuzu's web site for other places they have air bags and side impact air bags , here they have nothing. Ford now has everything as standard equipment and Chevrolet is optional. I was looking at the Superlawn truck but came back to the enclosed trailer as we do alot of snow .
Not sure what web site your looking at My Isuzu has air bags and side curtain air bags 2010

PLS-Tx
10-16-2010, 12:53 AM
no i don't have employees but if or when i do they will be driving trucks pulling trailers for sure. hell i might even have my first employee do the driving in my truck and trailer while i sit as a passenger and return phone calls. and that truck is my personal truck as well.[/QUOTE]

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 04:44 AM
and you point of quoting me and then saying nothing but some stupid smiley faces is what?

your "bold" of what i said means nothing. i know exactly what i would do if i had employees, it doesn't matter that i don't have them now.

if i ever take my business to the level of needing employees the issue of whether they will drive trucks and trailers or box vans is already settled for me. since you always start small, one employee will be added first. instead of me doing all the driving i might just have that employee do some so i can answer and return phone calls inbetween jobs.

those are decisions that will not change for me.

Buck_wheat
10-16-2010, 09:29 AM

Posted via Mobile Device

Box vans & panel trucks are for hacks. See them all the time, strugling with ramps, pulling off POS equipment 20 years old or from Sears & Home depot, hard to strap your gear down (law in most states), can't load debris, etc. Other guys come around with crap loaded into the beds of their Ford Ranger's, etc. They make a great presentation for quality work.

You may also want to take some space measurments before deciding and draw a schematic as to where everything should go, and remember it should be secured or everything will come adrift on your first turn. It sounds like you are putting a lot of stuff into the family van.

Better off with a trailer (even an open). If you want to be professional, look professional... be professional :usflag:

sdk1959
10-16-2010, 09:58 AM
Box vans & panel trucks are for hacks. See them all the time, strugling with ramps, pulling off POS equipment 20 years old or from Sears & Home depot, hard to strap your gear down (law in most states), can't load debris, etc. Other guys come around with crap loaded into the beds of their Ford Ranger's, etc. They make a great presentation for quality work.

You may also want to take some space measurements before deciding and draw a schematic as to where everything should go, and remember it should be secured or everything will come adrift on your first turn. It sounds like you are putting a lot of stuff into the family van.

Better off with a trailer (even an open). If you want to be professional, look professional... be professional :usflag:

Where do people get the idea you can't haul debris in a box van, cube van? I do it all the time, no problem. I do have a separate car for personal use, my cube van is strictly a work truck.

Only advantage for a truck and trailer is hauling unexpected small amounts of debris because you can haul your equipment in the trailor and take away a small amount of debris in your bed without sides. With sides more. Big loads of debris there is no advantage for a trailer over a box truck unless your trailer dumps.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Family van, professional, you guys must not know what a cube van is. Several of the very large companies are working out of cube vans. I was just trying to figure out the disadvantages of using one.

Next year I will be sending a crew to do my cutting, while I climb trees, do brick pavers, and all the other things I do. That means I would need to buy another truck and trailer. For the price I would pay for a new enclosed, I will be able to buy a cube van and not have to buy a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-16-2010, 12:59 PM
I meant to say another truck. I already have my 3/4 ton and 16ft trailer. Why would the cube van be any harder to tie down. Figure out where the mowers go and mount d rings.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-16-2010, 02:21 PM
Family van, professional, you guys must not know what a cube van is. Several of the very large companies are working out of cube vans. I was just trying to figure out the disadvantages of using one.

Next year I will be sending a crew to do my cutting, while I climb trees, do brick pavers, and all the other things I do. That means I would need to buy another truck and trailer. For the price I would pay for a new enclosed, I will be able to buy a cube van and not have to buy a truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

As far as loading debris in a box truck a lot of these LCO's I guess never saw a tree company chipper truck where branches are carried in also besides chips. No open trailers for chips.

You might want to consider a box truck with a dump feature. It be very convenient and a real labor saver. This company below can help you out. Good luck in your choice!:waving:

http://www.hayestrailersales.com/products/truck_bodies/index.shtml

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-16-2010, 02:34 PM
It would be cool to have a dumping cube but I wouldn't personally buy one. My cube van would be a dedicated maintenance truck. Mowing, bed care, and sprinkler repairs. And I'm thinking it would end up being mowing only, as I wont be with the mowing crew. With the money I save not having to buy another truck, I could buy a small enclosed for "my crew"
Posted via Mobile Device

Imow4u2
10-16-2010, 06:35 PM
"Sometimes it was just backing into something, other times taking out a post cutting a corner, or just rear ending a car in traffic. Trailers just do not stop like vehicles with the cargo area built-in."

Well What really chaps my A$$ is these morons running around with truck trailer combos, with no operating trailer lights and either no or non-working trailer brakes.. If you keep up with maint. a combo will stop just as fast as a box truck. There's a local co. that does quite a bit of work that pulls two Z's on a 16 ft.er We service accounts across the street from one of there's and I noticed the 4 pin connector was road rashed away, just the wires there.. If this trailer had a 4 pin connector there are no brakes present, it's BS like this that draws the DOT to landscapers and cutters..This quote above caught my eye, due to the fact I've seen this co. do all of these things while pulling a trailer...
So my take is if you or your employees can't handle the maint. and responisibility of running a combo down the road then a box truck may make it safer for the rest of us to be on the roadways with you...

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
you guys that say you can and do haul debris in a box truck. i don't see how it is efficient to load the debris in there.

for one thing i haven't seen a box truck that you can load while keeping your 2 feet on the ground. you have to climb up into the thing to load it up. unless your dumping it at the end of the truck. which isn't efficient either. especially if your hauling equipment as well.

you would seriously climb up into the truck with a grass catcher to dump it? another none efficient way if you ask me.

unless it's fall i can usually hold and entire days worth of lawn clippings in my pick up bed. i just dump the grass catcher directly into the bed if i'm in the front yard. in the back the catcher gets dumped into a 55 gallon drum cut in half, then into the truck bed. at the end of the day i stop at the compost site and unload. i have a truck unloader so it's just a matter of cranking the handle to remove the clippings. same thing goes for just about any other debris i put into the truck bed.

if all i'm doing for the day is shrub pruning and debris collecting i'll bring along my 5' x 10' open trailer with 4' sides. i start filling that up after my truck is full.

for the guy who can't stand guys with no brakes on the trailer i guess you wouldn't be able to stand me. i'll agree it's annoying when there aren't working brake lights. but i don't think brakes are a necessity for ALL trailers. it depends on the size of trailer and weight your hauling on it.

i pull a 6' x 12' enclosed single axle trailer loaded with a 36" wb, 52" stand on, 21 incher, trimmer rack with trimmer and stick edger on it, rake rack with 3 rakes, 3 two gallon gas cans and a backpack blower. no brakes on my trailer and i stop just fine. all lights work except the parking lights. haven't been able to figure out the problem. the trailer keeps blowing the fuse on the truck.

MnGreen
10-16-2010, 09:01 PM

You may also want to take some space measurments before deciding and draw a schematic as to where everything should go, and remember it should be secured or everything will come adrift on your first turn. It sounds like you are putting a lot of stuff into the family van.

They sure look unprofessional :confused:
http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php?page=mfg&id=isuzu#vanscaper

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 09:47 PM
They sure look unprofessional :confused:
http://www.supremecorp.com/supreme.php?page=mfg&id=isuzu#vanscaper

looks unprofessional to me..........:dancing:

most guys purchasing a box truck aren't purchasing those nicer rigs. they are purchasing "uhaul" style box trucks.

either way a truck and trailer is what is best for this business. otherwise you'd hardly see truck and trailer rigs and everyone would be using box trucks. not even the large LCO's use them.

i can think of one outfit in my neck of the woods that uses those trucks with the flat beds. everyone else is using trucks and trailers.

SNAPPER MAN
10-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Yardguy, the reason most people don't have the nice isuzus and fusos is because of the initial cost. You can buy a truck for $30k and a trailer for an additional $3k. A new isuzu NPR diesel with a landscape body is $45k. That is the reason you don't see many people using them.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-16-2010, 10:09 PM
you guys that say you can and do haul debris in a box truck. i don't see how it is efficient to load the debris in there.

for one thing i haven't seen a box truck that you can load while keeping your 2 feet on the ground. you have to climb up into the thing to load it up. unless your dumping it at the end of the truck. which isn't efficient either. especially if your hauling equipment as well.

you would seriously climb up into the truck with a grass catcher to dump it? another none efficient way if you ask me.

As far as a lot of grass clippings and leaves you may have a point, but for branches they can be thrown to the front of the box truck. This is not a issue for me because I don't collect leaves or grass clippings unless it can be dumped on site.

Trying to be all things to all customers all the time is not good business and not for me. If a customer insists on collecting grass clippings and leaves in the fall without a spot or area on-site for dumping well, I guess I'm not their guy, and they're not my target customer. No take with service except tree or hedge work and they pay extra for it.

Just like in any business you have to choose your market and target those customers. Buying all sizes of mowers, running all kinds of rigs to service all kinds of properties & jobs is the Achilles heel of many a LCO.

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Yardguy, the reason most people don't have the nice isuzus and fusos is because of the initial cost. You can buy a truck for $30k and a trailer for an additional $3k. A new isuzu NPR diesel with a landscape body is $45k. That is the reason you don't see many people using them.
Posted via Mobile Device

if you say so......

i'd never buy one even if i could afford one.......dispite how wonderful some people think they are i don't happen to agree. i'd take a truck and trailer over one of those any day. you couldn't give me one for free. very impratical for lawn maintenance crews if you ask me.

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 10:15 PM
As far as a lot of grass clippings and leaves you may have a point, but for branches they can be thrown to the front of the box truck. This is not a issue for me because I don't collect leaves or grass clippings unless it can be dumped on site.

Trying to be all things to all customers all the time is not good business and not for me. If a customer insists on collecting grass clippings and leaves in the fall without a spot or area on-site for dumping well, I guess I'm not their guy, and they're not my target customer. No take with service except tree or hedge work and they pay extra for it.

Just like in any business you have to choose your market and target those customers. Buying all sizes of mowers, running all kinds of rigs to service all kinds of properties & jobs is the Achilles heel of many a LCO.

i guess i'm much different than most.

my market and target is anyone willing to hire me and pay the price i quote them. there isn't a job i can't handle with my truck and trailer or the equipment i have.

i refuse to leave clippings and leaves on site. even when the client offers that i can leave them. everything gets hauled away in my truck bed.

jeremy's lc
10-16-2010, 10:24 PM
My box truck was around $ 50,000 for diesel truck, vanscape, sideway dump that whole 9 yards of debris & all racks. One insurance, one tag & one set of tires to buy. I ran a truck & open trailer for 6 years. A truck & enclosed trailer for 5 years. But for the last 3 year the box truck have been the best. Have not lost equipment to thieves or do i have to load & unload twice a day.

MnGreen
10-16-2010, 10:44 PM
if you say so......

i'd never buy one even if i could afford one.......dispite how wonderful some people think they are i don't happen to agree. i'd take a truck and trailer over one of those any day. you couldn't give me one for free. very impratical for lawn maintenance crews if you ask me.

Impractical to your application and targeted market as you have made it very apparent.
Its all preference and duty specific so there is no right or wrong, my way or no way.
These vanscaper bodies & boxes are showing up everywhere and are "extremely" efficient and multifunctional.
Every business has to purchase equipment service specific to their needs.
A 1 ton van is a 3500 truck with a light duty box on it that replaces your trailer needs.
No different then a scaper body sitting on the frame
In your case you need to daily haul around 40' of truck/equipment to pick up debris apparently.
Again, that's specific to "your" business model and set up and not the "original posters" circumstances.
He encounters "zero" disadvantage wanting to add a cube van application and can use it year round for all his services. 6-8g you got the unit, paint the box and just have a ramp gate installed.
Even the ugly fleet units can be converted cheap and easy.

The LawnRanger
10-16-2010, 11:19 PM
I wouldnt go back to truck and trailer now that I bought mine It fits my business perfect I didn't go with the closed box open landscaper bed better suited if your going to go the trailer less route

Buck_wheat
10-17-2010, 10:31 AM
Where do people get the idea you can't haul debris in a box van, cube van? I do it all the time, no problem. I do have a separate car for personal use, my cube van is strictly a work truck.

Only advantage for a truck and trailer is hauling unexpected small amounts of debris because you can haul your equipment in the trailor and take away a small amount of debris in your bed without sides. With sides more. Big loads of debris there is no advantage for a trailer over a box truck unless your trailer dumps.

Different region, different application, I'm in zone 9; 365 day growing season, maybe I can use the box truck to deliver refridgerators when I'm waiting to cut grass :)

My trailers have drop ramps and the gear just rolls off. My F350 & Ram 3500 have king cabs for the crew & extended beds for the occasional small debris. There is also a dump trailer, holds about 20yrds (I usually schedule major clean ups) it has a drop ramp so I can load from the back to the front, fill er up, pull the cover on and hit the hydrolics when I get to the dump.

Anyway, to each his own :waving:

sdk1959
10-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Different region, different application, I'm in zone 9; 365 day growing season, maybe I can use the box truck to deliver refridgerators when I'm waiting to cut grass :)

My trailers have drop ramps and the gear just rolls off. My F350 & Ram 3500 have king cabs for the crew & extended beds for the occasional small debris. There is also a dump trailer, holds about 20yrds (I usually schedule major clean ups) it has a drop ramp so I can load from the back to the front, fill er up, pull the cover on and hit the hydraulics when I get to the dump.

Anyway, to each his own :waving:

As I stated in another post I don't collect and haul away grass clippings or leaves in the fall, only branches from pruning tree work and hedge clippings. Loading and unloading equipment is also no problem for me either. Less than 2 minutes to set up the 2 safety ramps.

For hauling grass clippings and leaves a open trailer would have the clear advantage because it is much easier to load grass clippings and leaves. But I don't do that and keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important.

Buck_wheat
10-17-2010, 12:50 PM
As I stated in another post I don't collect and haul away grass clippings or leaves in the fall, only branches from pruning tree work and hedge clippings. Loading and unloading equipment is also no problem for me either. Less than 2 minutes to set up the 2 safety ramps.

For hauling grass clippings and leaves a open trailer would have the clear advantage because it is much easier to load grass clippings and leaves. But I don't do that and keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important.

Sounds like you have it figured out... like i said, to each his own:waving:

h2oskier
10-17-2010, 05:06 PM
Sounds like the issue isn't about the vehicle, it seems to be were you park it at night, should we suggest who uses a garage and who doesn't?

yardguy28
10-17-2010, 06:47 PM

i agree to each his own, but i must comment......

less than 2 min? i can have my ramp on my trailer down in less than 30 seconds.

enclosed trailers offer that same "keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important" feature.........

sdk1959
10-17-2010, 07:05 PM
i agree to each his own, but i must comment......

less than 2 min? i can have my ramp on my trailer down in less than 30 seconds.

enclosed trailers offer that same "keeping my equipment out of the rain, my handhelds out of site of thieves and not having to unload & load everyday is more important" feature......... I thought about an enclosed trailer before but decided on a box truck. I knew I would not be hauling clippings or leaves and a truck PLUS a trailer takes up a lot more space in the driveway than a box truck. I'm not going to park a enclosed trailer on the street in front of my house or park it somewhere else and pay rent. A neighbor may complain if in the street and who needs the added cost and inconvenience of parking elsewhere and paying rent.

As far as thieves I'm talking about theft on-site not at home.

But to each his own, I'm happy with my set-up.:)

BrunoT
10-20-2010, 01:21 PM
Let me add one disadvantage to box trucks. Assuming they are pretty tall and the ramp is a little steeper, keep in mind that you are unlikely to be able to push a broken down ZTR up that ramp.

You'll still need a trailer around to be able to "rescue" it and take it back to the shop. Unless you have a winch system built in or something.

sdk1959
10-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Let me add one disadvantage to box trucks. Assuming they are pretty tall and the ramp is a little steeper, keep in mind that you are unlikely to be able to push a broken down ZTR up that ramp.

You'll still need a trailer around to be able to "rescue" it and take it back to the shop. Unless you have a winch system built in or something.

Already got that covered. Got a 12VDC winch from Northern Tool $79.99. 2000lb capacity and it works just fine.

Also I got a couple properties along a busy highway a pick-up truck & trailer could never do. If you were to try and back out the driveway's of either of them you would be nailed by traffic big time even without a trailer. Not enough room for a truck & trailer to turn around in the driveway, but I can. The one I got the lady said she called 2 other guys and as soon as she mentioned her address they said they'd pass on it.

I can see a trailers advantage for hauling loose material, but I don't do that. Mulch jobs I always use bags. I have a separate car for personal use.

BrunoT
10-20-2010, 06:28 PM
Already got that covered. Got a 12VDC winch from Northern Tool $79.99. 2000lb capacity and it works just fine.

Also I got a couple properties along a busy highway a pick-up truck & trailer could never do. If you were to try and back out the driveway's of either of them you would be nailed by traffic big time even without a trailer. Not enough room for a truck & trailer to turn around in the driveway, but I can. The one I got the lady said she called 2 other guys and as soon as she mentioned her address they said they'd pass on it.

I can see a trailers advantage for hauling loose material, but I don't do that. Mulch jobs I always use bags. I have a separate car for personal use.

I love not working with a trailer. That maneuverability and shorter length when parked in tight areas are the main pluses, but I also find myself constantly checking the mirrors when towing to make sure everything's ok with the trailer.

knox gsl
10-20-2010, 08:32 PM
I'm wanting to find a 12' box truck with SRW and gas engine to haul my mowers for day to day stuff. I already have a 16*6 open trailer to do mulch and cleanup jobs which could be pulled by my other truck and have for a backup for the box truck if it goes to the shop. I could fit my Lazer and a 21", or my TT and a 21". If I do get a box truck it my be time to replace the TT with a Vantage for more floor space. I just want to ditch the trailer on my normal route.

yardguy28
10-20-2010, 09:06 PM

got that covered with my pickup/trailer......i turn around before i start the job driving in the grass to do it. once i'm done mowing you'd never know i drove the truck or trailer in the grass.

i currently have a client that lives on a busy main road. no side street to park on. i have to park in his driveway. the traffic is never slow enough to back in or out without using the front yard at all. so when i come to his property i pull all the way in the grass and back into the driveway. once done mowing you'd never know i was there. then when i go to leave i just pull right out of the driveway.

you couldn't give me one of these trucks you are talking about for free.

SNAPPER MAN
10-20-2010, 09:09 PM
got that covered with my pickup/trailer......i turn around before i start the job driving in the grass to do it. once i'm done mowing you'd never know i drove the truck or trailer in the grass.

i currently have a client that lives on a busy main road. no side street to park on. i have to park in his driveway. the traffic is never slow enough to back in or out without using the front yard at all. so when i come to his property i pull all the way in the grass and back into the driveway. once done mowing you'd never know i was there. then when i go to leave i just pull right out of the driveway.

We get it!!! You are a boss at driving a truck and trailer! Also you don't like box trucks. You seem to disagree with everyone on just about everything on this site. Some people have different opinions... I know it's a tough concept to grasp.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-20-2010, 09:19 PM
We get it!!! You are a boss at driving a truck and trailer! Also you don't like box trucks. You seem to disagree with everyone on just about everything on this site. Some people have different opinions... I know it's a tough concept to grasp.
Posted via Mobile Device

and i can't post my opinion like everyone else does? i could say the same thing about you........:hammerhead:

i can't help it you see my opinions and ideas as disagreeing with everyone on everything on this site. and frankly if thats the way you feel oh well.

did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP never thought about driving in the grass to turn the rig around?

yes i know everyone has different opinions. since when are threads started to hear ONLY the people that agree with what is being talked about?

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-20-2010, 10:33 PM
Yardguy, ill guarantee I can drive a trailer as good or better than you. Its that I'm looking for efficiency and ill guarantee a box truck gets better mileage, has less parts to maintain, and it will do everything your trailer will aside from hauling clippings.

I've worked out of trailers for 16 years now, and I will be buying a box truck within the month.
Posted via Mobile Device

The LawnRanger
10-20-2010, 10:39 PM
Yardguy, ill guarantee I can drive a trailer as good or better than you. Its that I'm looking for efficiency and ill guarantee a box truck gets better mileage, has less parts to maintain, and it will do everything your trailer will aside from hauling clippings.

I've worked out of trailers for 16 years now, and I will be buying a box truck within the month.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree I own a open Landscaper had it little over a month now and I get way better fuel mileage then I did when I was pulling a trailer, takes up less room

sdk1959
10-20-2010, 11:20 PM
and i can't post my opinion like everyone else does? i could say the same thing about you........:hammerhead:

i can't help it you see my opinions and ideas as disagreeing with everyone on everything on this site. and frankly if that's the way you feel oh well.

did it ever occur to you that maybe the OP never thought about driving in the grass to turn the rig around?

yes i know everyone has different opinions. since when are threads started to hear ONLY the people that agree with what is being talked about?

Can't turn around on the grass on either property I mentioned in my previous post. The one has a retaining walls and trees on both sides almost up to the house where the driveway widens. The other one the driveway and the yard slope down steeply with the house and trees, shrubs on both sides where the driveway widens. You'd pass on both them if you saw them, unless you had a box truck or a 8' trailer. Anything longer you & can't turn around or park on the street , no shoulder, highway traffic.

sdk1959
10-20-2010, 11:46 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

That's what I say, if you have a box truck and separate vehicle for personal use, hauling loose material in trailers are it's only advantage.

milkie62
10-20-2010, 11:47 PM
I know if I used a box truck I would need one helluva long ramp to get my 3100 Ferris up without scraping bottom.Right now I use a Bri-Mar lo profile dump with landscape ramp and I have to add 2' ramp extensions on plus tilt the bed to keep from scraping the rear of the mower on the pavement.I would never beable to use a cube van.

PLS-Tx
10-20-2010, 11:53 PM
I know if I used a box truck I would need one helluva long ramp to get my 3100 Ferris up without scraping bottom.Right now I use a Bri-Mar lo profile dump with landscape ramp and I have to add 2' ramp extensions on plus tilt the bed to keep from scraping the rear of the mower on the pavement.I would never beable to use a cube van.

We have a is3100 and plan to get a box truck. I'm just not sure what legth to get. There is one for sell locally it's 11-12', I guess that would work for 1 ztr. Our enclosed is 20' and I wish it was longer sometimes.

SNAPPER MAN
10-20-2010, 11:54 PM

Most of the dedicated lawn box trucks have 4ft dovetails with 4' ramps on the dovetail. I know guys that have these and get their turf tigers or big 72" toro ztrs up them and never scrape. But that is a very valid point.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-21-2010, 12:01 AM
I'm wanting to find a 12' box truck with SRW and gas engine to haul my mowers for day to day stuff. I already have a 16*6 open trailer to do mulch and cleanup jobs which could be pulled by my other truck and have for a backup for the box truck if it goes to the shop. I could fit my Lazer and a 21", or my TT and a 21". If I do get a box truck it my be time to replace the TT with a Vantage for more floor space. I just want to ditch the trailer on my normal route.

I'm looking to buy a 12' box truck next season, have a 10' now, just a tad too small. There is always a demand for used box trucks because they are so versatile for so many types of businesses compared to a trailer so I'll get a good price whether I sell it or trade it in.

You will absolutely love using a box truck and will be able to get onto difficult properties on busy highways where you can't park in the street and have no room to turn around in the driveway with a truck and trailer. Good luck with your box truck purchase.:)

sdk1959
10-21-2010, 12:09 AM
We have a is3100 and plan to get a box truck. I'm just not sure what legth to get. There is one for sell locally it's 11-12', I guess that would work for 1 ztr. Our enclosed is 20' and I wish it was longer sometimes.

A cheap extension is to cut and use 2 30" 10" x 2" boards, cut a notch in them on one end to hook onto the first or second rung of the ramp to keep it from moving when you drive the mower up or down. That should keep the mower from bottoming out. Works for me.

milkie62
10-21-2010, 12:12 AM
My 3100 Ferris has the 32 Briggs and the muffler is way down low.The rear frame is tapered to help but still is way to close to the ground.My buddies 3000 Ferris is higher up in the rear so he has no problem.I am running about 7.5-8'ramps right now plus using the bed tilt about 10-12".I know my trailer sits a bit higher than a regular landscape trailer but it must be lower than a cube van.

milkie62
10-21-2010, 12:13 AM
I am just pointing out the disadvantage to my Ferris other than loading I love it.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-21-2010, 12:18 AM
That is a good point on dragging up the ramp and also broken mowers.

I only run a ztr for cleanups, and walkbehinds are easy to get around that issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
10-21-2010, 12:41 AM
I am just pointing out the disadvantage to my Ferris other than loading I love it.

Oh yes, we love our Ferris also, only regret is we did not make the switch sooner. :)

yardguy28
10-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Posted via Mobile Device

well enjoy it. everyone is intitled to use what they like. not every thing is for everyone.

i hope you like it and it works well for you.

Fresh_Cut
10-25-2010, 09:19 PM
What's up everybody! This is my first post.

I was doing a Google search for "dovetail box truck" and came upon this thread. I've read the entire thread..

I have a 1998 Ford E350 box truck... pictures are attached.

I love it. Suits my business very well for a number of reasons.....

1. Security. I don't have to worry about theft, whether it is while on a job site or parked at night.
2. Sheltered. All equipment is sheltered from the elements of weather. That means rain, wind, ice, snow, etc. This increases the life of the equipment and we all pay enough for our commercial equipment to want to keep it for as long as possible, and keep it running correctly.
3. Discreet. No one knows exactly what is on my truck as far as equipment or cargo goes. I say this because there have been some cases in Atlanta where some guys have gotta jacked at gunpoint for their truck & trailer full of equipment. If they cannot see what I have, they cannot gauge the risk of trying to take it. They don't know if I have a couple $100 push mowers and some Ryobi curved shaft trimmers or 2 eXmark Lazer Z's.

You can see I have everything organized. All the hand tools are in the Trimmer Trap that I have mounted on the wall of the box, it's very convenient. When I get the money I will be adding the backpack blower racks and backpack sprayer rack.

I currently have mine for sale for two main reasons;
1. I want a diesel for better fuel mileage.
2. I need a dovetail ramp to load my eXmark Lazer Z 52" safely. Not pictured.

I'd also like to mention some other advantages of having a box truck vs. a truck & trailer. The turning radius of a box truck is going to always be tighter than a truck & trailer. There is also a bit of privacy with a box truck. There have been a few times where I've gotten rained on due to me want to "get it done" and I was able to change in to dry clothes in the back and continue my route without having to go home to change, quit for the day, or continue my route in soaking wet clothes, socks, & shoes. Also, there has to be a safety advantage that a box truck has seeing as how all equipment is central and contained.

Fresh_Cut
10-25-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh yeah......... Ferris Sux!

eXmark rules! :laugh:

just messin' wit y'all, never used a ferris

yardguy28
10-26-2010, 04:27 PM

I was doing a Google search for "dovetail box truck" and came upon this thread. I've read the entire thread..

1. Security. I don't have to worry about theft, whether it is while on a job site or parked at night.
2. Sheltered. All equipment is sheltered from the elements of weather. That means rain, wind, ice, snow, etc. This increases the life of the equipment and we all pay enough for our commercial equipment to want to keep it for as long as possible, and keep it running correctly.
3. Discreet. No one knows exactly what is on my truck as far as equipment or cargo goes. I say this because there have been some cases in Atlanta where some guys have gotta jacked at gunpoint for their truck & trailer full of equipment. If they cannot see what I have, they cannot gauge the risk of trying to take it. They don't know if I have a couple $100 push mowers and some Ryobi curved shaft trimmers or 2 eXmark Lazer Z's.

You can see I have everything organized. All the hand tools are in the Trimmer Trap that I have mounted on the wall of the box, it's very convenient. When I get the money I will be adding the backpack blower racks and backpack sprayer rack.

I'd also like to mention some other advantages of having a box truck vs. a truck & trailer. The turning radius of a box truck is going to always be tighter than a truck & trailer. There is also a bit of privacy with a box truck. There have been a few times where I've gotten rained on due to me want to "get it done" and I was able to change in to dry clothes in the back and continue my route without having to go home to change, quit for the day, or continue my route in soaking wet clothes, socks, & shoes. Also, there has to be a safety advantage that a box truck has seeing as how all equipment is central and contained.

i need to point out for everyone who states security, shelter and discreet as the advantages for a box truck that an enclosed trailer offers the exact same advantages.

i keep seeing those 3 reasons as the advantages for a box truck vs. a truck/trailer set up.

MnGreen
10-26-2010, 04:49 PM
i need to point out for everyone who states security, shelter and discreet as the advantages for a box truck that an enclosed trailer offers the exact same advantages.

i keep seeing those 3 reasons as the advantages for a box truck vs. a truck/trailer set up.

You still have a truck & trailer or 2-units, cant be much clearer to understand.
Person wanting a single unit is looking to eliminate the trailer.

BrunoT
10-26-2010, 05:16 PM

You can damage roots and compact the soil doing that, not to mention enraging a customer who has a nice lawn and is concerned you'll damage it. The utility company drove into my grass at the front of my property early last summer and you can still see the difference in the turf there.

I am using my trailer lately and just today I had to back into traffic on a very low traffic road. It went ok, but it easily could have not as this place is on a curve. Yes, you can do it, but over time you will either have some jacknife damage or an accident. Especially when fatigued it's easier to make a mistake with a trailer.

Also, with either a box truck or trailer you can't hit most drive-thru windows. This alone is unacceptable!

yardguy28
10-26-2010, 07:21 PM
You still have a truck & trailer or 2-units, cant be much clearer to understand.

you still have 2 units using a box truck. you have the box truck for work and a personal vehicle.

using a truck and trailer i eliminate the need for a personal vehicle as the truck also serves as my personal vehicle.

You can damage roots and compact the soil doing that, not to mention enraging a customer who has a nice lawn and is concerned you'll damage it. The utility company drove into my grass at the front of my property early last summer and you can still see the difference in the turf there.

I am using my trailer lately and just today I had to back into traffic on a very low traffic road. It went ok, but it easily could have not as this place is on a curve. Yes, you can do it, but over time you will either have some jacknife damage or an accident. Especially when fatigued it's easier to make a mistake with a trailer.

Also, with either a box truck or trailer you can't hit most drive-thru windows. This alone is unacceptable!

well considering i've checked with the client and they don't mind and this yard happens to be a weed fest that part isn't an issue.

as for jacknifing i don't think so. there isn't a day that goes by that i don't back my trailer into my driveway every night after work. i'm not trying to say i'm some sort of trailer driving god but i'm certainly not some rookie at it.

i never back my trailer into traffic. i will find an alternate place to park before i ever decide to do that. unless i happen to have someone with me that could get out and direct traffic.

sdk1959
10-26-2010, 11:16 PM

I'd also like to mention some other advantages of having a box truck vs. a truck & trailer. The turning radius of a box truck is going to always be tighter than a truck & trailer. There is also a bit of privacy with a box truck. There have been a few times where I've gotten rained on due to me want to "get it done" and I was able to change in to dry clothes in the back and continue my route without having to go home to change, quit for the day, or continue my route in soaking wet clothes, socks, & shoes. Also, there has to be a safety advantage that a box truck has seeing as how all equipment is central and contained. Is that a 12' box truck? I'm looking to get a 12' box truck next season.

Nice set-up!Thumbs Up Much more professional looking:cool: than that open trailer trash you see driving around.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-26-2010, 11:19 PM
Yardguy,

Hopefully your keeping detailed mileage reports on your truck seeing as you don't have a true personal vehicle. Uncle Sam doesn't like when you claim personal mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-26-2010, 11:23 PM
Welcome fresh cut. I like your interior set up. Why not just remove the lift gate, sell it, and build a dovetail.
Posted via Mobile Device

MnGreen
10-27-2010, 12:03 AM
"you still have 2 units using a box truck. you have the box truck for work and a personal vehicle."

"using a truck and trailer i eliminate the need for a personal vehicle as the truck also serves as my personal vehicle."

yardguy28:

You need to stop being so anal to the cube van issue and applying your application, practices, desires, or needs to that of the OP. Your comparisons and arguments are baseless @ this point.
He already has a truck & trailer, wants to add a cube van for a "service application" addition.
Where does a "personal vehicle" enter his needs or the equation in any logical manner ?
So it isn't your cup of tea or ability to think outside the box, leave it @ that.
Sounds like your entire existence is wrapped up in your truck & trailer affection.

PLS-Tx
10-27-2010, 12:13 AM
Oh yeah......... Ferris Sux!

eXmark rules! :laugh:

just messin' wit y'all, never used a ferris

Well, I was going to tell you I like your truck but now you made me mad. :laugh: Just kidding, you better not try a Ferris you will be throwing rocks at your exmark. :laugh:

How many miles and how much are you asking for your box truck?

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:17 AM

I need to point out to you that it's easier for someone to steal an enclosed trailer, especially one that's just sitting and not currently hooked to a truck, than it is an entire truck.

I also need to point out to Administrators and/or Moderators that we need an "ignore" feature added to this forum. *(I really did read the entire thread before posting)

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:20 AM

:clapping: Thumbs Up

I'd also like to point out to the mods that we need a "high five" smiley

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:33 AM
Is that a 12' box truck? I'm looking to get a 12' box truck next season.

Nice set-up!Thumbs Up Much more professional looking:cool: than that open trailer trash you see driving around.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

first off, thanks for the compliments (trying to turn this thread back positive), and it's a 14' box.

I'd recommend at least a 14' box because of growth space. I just started putting my 52" eXmark Lazer Z on and it's a BIG BOY! Get at least 14 footer or look into a 16'. The extra space comes in handy when you are growing or you have a different kind of job like debris removal. I can fit all my equipment in my truck and still fit a 9'x9' drawstring tarp full of debris in the back of my truck.... in fact I can fit two 9'x9' drawstring tarps back there if I stack 'em on top of each other and out of the way. This isn't much of a problem for me because I don't do much debris removal, even during fall I mulch leaves with the eXmark mulching kits that I have on both my machines. Not a leaf left on the yard.... in fact you wouldn't even know it was fall when I left the property.
Guys, look into it.

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:40 AM
Welcome fresh cut. I like your interior set up. Why not just remove the lift gate, sell it, and build a dovetail.
Posted via Mobile Device

FINALLY, somebody knows how to treat a guy! Thanks for the welcome! :laugh:

Well, I was thinking about that and even got an estimate for the work but the bottom line (of the estimate) really didn't make sense since I also want/need a diesel, too.

Remember, I need a diesel for better fuel mileage and a dovetail for safety and convenience of equipment use.

The guy at the shop that I got the estimate from quoted me about about $1500 minus only about $200 for me giving them the lift gate and the hardware it comes with (hydraulic pump and electrical).

I concluded that it would just be cheaper for me to sell my truck and find an Isuzu NPR box truck with a dovetail already installed. Or find a cab and chassis and put a box w/ dovetail on it, because I found a guy selling just a dovetail box on Craigslist for $1k, it didn't include the truck or anything and he had 2 of them just sitting on the ground.

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:45 AM
"you still have 2 units using a box truck. you have the box truck for work and a personal vehicle."

"using a truck and trailer i eliminate the need for a personal vehicle as the truck also serves as my personal vehicle."

yardguy28:

You need to stop being so anal to the cube van issue and applying your application, practices, desires, or needs to that of the OP. Your comparisons and arguments are baseless @ this point.
He already has a truck & trailer, wants to add a cube van for a "service application" addition.
Where does a "personal vehicle" enter his needs or the equation in any logical manner ?
So it isn't your cup of tea or ability to think outside the box, leave it @ that.
Sounds like your entire existence is wrapped up in your truck & trailer affection.

:nono:

I'm shaking my head, here. You're giving him/it legs.... just let it be.

People don't realize that they expose themselves for who they really are. In this thread alone, a certain person has shown themselves to be complacent, incompetent, argumentative, and small-minded.

We, as successful business owners, must think objectively.....outside the box at times in order to accomplish goals and reach new plateaus.

That guy, :rolleyes:, clearly isn't reaching for any of the same things we are.

Fresh_Cut
10-27-2010, 01:48 AM
Well, I was going to tell you I like your truck but now you made me mad. :laugh: Just kidding, you better not try a Ferris you will be throwing rocks at your exmark. :laugh:

How many miles and how much are you asking for your box truck?

Cool beans!

The truck has 233k on it now and I'm asking $5,300 for it. It's had an engine rebuild at 125k I was told. I looked it over before I bought it and it looks to have had a good amount of new parts put on it, mind you all this was prior to me getting it. I bought it with 206k.

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-27-2010, 01:13 PM
To bad there isn't a way to weld a ramp onto the lift gate and have that fold your ramp up and down.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
10-27-2010, 07:54 PM
Yardguy,

Hopefully your keeping detailed mileage reports on your truck seeing as you don't have a true personal vehicle. Uncle Sam doesn't like when you claim personal mileage.
Posted via Mobile Device

yes of course i keep detailed mileage reports on my truck. at the end of the season i turn in my mileage to the accountant for my taxes.

I need to point out to you that it's easier for someone to steal an enclosed trailer, especially one that's just sitting and not currently hooked to a truck, than it is an entire truck.

I also need to point out to Administrators and/or Moderators that we need an "ignore" feature added to this forum. *(I really did read the entire thread before posting)

well since my trailer is always hooked to my truck except on the day or 2 that i am off i don't need to worry about that. not to mention it is extremely locked up.

i have a gorilla lock on it every day for the latch that keeps the trailer on the ball and i put that on when its not hooked up and i have a tongue lock that fits inside the tongue so you can't even drop the trailer on a ball. i also have all 3 doors locked with master locks. and when not hooked up its in my backyard out of view from the general public.

what makes you think i didn't read the entire thread before posting? because i have followed this thread from the very first post.

i am partaking in a debate about the advantages/disadvantages to a box truck. and IMO theren't aren't any advantages, certainly not over a truck/trailer combo.

sdk1959
10-27-2010, 08:06 PM
what makes you think i didn't read the entire thread before posting? because i have followed this thread from the very first post.

i am partaking in a debate about the advantages/disadvantages to a box truck. and IMO theren't aren't any advantages, certainly not over a truck/trailer combo.

Lot's of advantages to box trucks, you just glossed over them. Won't rehash them here, you can re-read the whole thread with a open mind.:rolleyes:

yardguy28
10-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Lot's of advantages to box trucks, you just glossed over them. Won't rehash them here, you can re-read the whole thread with a open mind.:rolleyes:

is this one of those i'm right your wrong, my word is golden and if you don't agree with me your stupid attitudes?

in my honest open minded opinion i do not think box trucks offer a single advantage over a truck/trailer combo.

that is just my opinion which i am intitled to. there isn't anything i can't do with my truck/trailer that i could do if i had a box truck.

i read the entire thread and i didn't find one thing in my own personal opinion that would ever make me want a box truck.

PLS-Tx
10-28-2010, 12:40 AM
I think for most a box truck is a no brainer it may not work for everyone.

I'm going to start a new thread in the truck/trailer section, I wish some of you that use them would respond there.

We do plan to get a box truck so I would like to here from guys that use them or anyone that knows anything about them.

yardguy28
10-28-2010, 07:58 PM
I think for most a box truck is a no brainer it may not work for everyone.

I'm going to start a new thread in the truck/trailer section, I wish some of you that use them would respond there.

We do plan to get a box truck so I would like to here from guys that use them or anyone that knows anything about them.

do you think i'll ignore your thread and posts there.......:laugh:

stan the man
10-28-2010, 08:39 PM
is this one of those i'm right your wrong, my word is golden and if you don't agree with me your stupid attitudes?

in my honest open minded opinion i do not think box trucks offer a single advantage over a truck/trailer combo.

that is just my opinion which i am intitled to. there isn't anything i can't do with my truck/trailer that i could do if i had a box truck.

i read the entire thread and i didn't find one thing in my own personal opinion that would ever make me want a box truck.

boy i haven't said a thing on this but a friend of my has one and he loves it. maybe it just not for you but it is for some

jas1980
10-28-2010, 08:53 PM
Something like this solves your debris concern...

http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x420/jas15076/johnferrie-large.jpg

I saw this one at superlawntrucks.com

Outdoors_Unlimited
10-28-2010, 09:45 PM
That is awesome debris handling there. Just today I seen a box on a medium duty that had to be 25' or so. When they dropped the gate, they had everything in one contained unit. I can't wait to get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

MnGreen
10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
That is awesome debris handling there. Just today I seen a box on a medium duty that had to be 25' or so. When they dropped the gate, they had everything in one contained unit. I can't wait to get one.
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.usedsuperlawntrucks.com/trucks/46/2006-GMC-W3500.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnVs3Za8tCg&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c81Ec3X0IRU&feature=related

http://www.iptruck.com/detail-2005-ud_landscape-1300-used-6145786.html

http://www.bcvi.com/DryFreight/Lawn/

yardguy28
10-30-2010, 08:46 AM
boy i haven't said a thing on this but a friend of my has one and he loves it. maybe it just not for you but it is for some

i'm sure it is for some. but the thread started out being about the advantages/disadvantages of a box truck.

i simply posted my opinion that i don't see an advantage over a truck/trailer rig. just to give the OP something to think about.

now it seems to be about yardguy is wrong because box trucks 100% absolutely have an advantage over truck/trailer rigs.

it just gets old listening to the people who think its there way or no way, that there words are golden. and they try and insinuate that i'm being that way as well. when all i'm doing is posting my personal opinion.

if anyone on here wants to have a box truck go for it. i could care less. but i personally don't think box trucks are the way to go. that was what my original post in this thread was suppose to be. i wouldn't advize anyone to go that route.

SNAPPER MAN
10-30-2010, 03:44 PM
Oh the hypocracy of that last post yardguy.
Posted via Mobile Device

sdk1959
10-31-2010, 09:51 AM
i'm sure it is for some. but the thread started out being about the advantages/disadvantages of a box truck.

i simply posted my opinion that i don't see an advantage over a truck/trailer rig. just to give the OP something to think about.

now it seems to be about yardguy is wrong because box trucks 100% absolutely have an advantage over truck/trailer rigs.

it just gets old listening to the people who think its there way or no way, that there words are golden. and they try and insinuate that i'm being that way as well. when all i'm doing is posting my personal opinion.

if anyone on here wants to have a box truck go for it. i could care less. but i personally don't think box trucks are the way to go. that was what my original post in this thread was suppose to be. i wouldn't advize anyone to go that route.

The advantage of open trailers was already mentioned-handling loose debris. If a LCO doesn't haul away grass clippings or leaves the open trailer has no advantage only disadvantages vs box trucks.

I think a new thread should be started for people who already own box trucks and use them so we all can get good feedback information and usage ideas. Trailer pullers NEED NOT REPLY.:waving:

Hoots
10-31-2010, 10:14 AM
I run an Isuzu NPR 16' box for our mowing crew. When they gather leaves and debris it's always in bags for ease of movement. We pile the bags at the front so we can still get equipment in and out. It's not that difficult.

On huge advantage is shown in the picture above. You have a 16' x 8' ROLLING BILBOARD. Yes you can do the same with a cargo trailer but you go back to the disadvantages of a trailer.

We have a truck and trailer to handle material movement when needed. If you have a cargo trailer you still need an open trailer for material obviously. Why not have a box truck and truck and trailer so you can run two different directions? You can't pull two trailers with one truck.

These are some observations from someone that has a variety of truck applications.
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
10-31-2010, 03:10 PM
The advantage of open trailers was already mentioned-handling loose debris. If a LCO doesn't haul away grass clippings or leaves the open trailer has no advantage only disadvantages vs box trucks.

I think a new thread should be started for people who already own box trucks and use them so we all can get good feedback information and usage ideas. Trailer pullers NEED NOT REPLY.:waving:

I agree 100%, I started a new thread in the tuck and trailer section, I guess I should have started it here.

Here is the link to the other thread. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=332484

We use a truck and 20' enclosed trailer and plan to switch to a box truck. We don't haul away clipping or leaves so this is not a concern.

We do have a 16' open trailer with 4' sides on it. We use this trailer for mulch and other things that the enclosed trailer won't work for and plan to do the same when we get a box truck.

yardguy28
10-31-2010, 06:22 PM

yes those advantages/disadvantages were already mentioned and i happen to disagree with those statements and don't see what was mentioned making a box truck an advantage over a truck/trailer rig.

secondly i run an enclosed trailer. hauling all debris in my truck bed. so any statement regarding open trailers doesn't apply in my thinking. i do have an open 5 x 10 with 4 foot side walls for large jobs. but it is rarely used.

if i didn't do any hauling of grass or leaves i still would pick the truck/trailer rig over a box truck. as already stated in my previous posts. i don't want to sound like a broken record, which i'm sure i already do but you couldn't give me a box truck for free to use in my business. i would turn around and sell it and either put the money in my business account, upgrade equipment, or upgrade my enclosed trailer.

opps i'm a trailer puller and i replied.........:drinkup:

Sweet Tater
11-11-2010, 05:43 PM

I'm not trying to be rude, just breaking down what would actually be a disadvantage. Only one bothering me is the ability to haul clippings.Posted via Mobile Device

thats so simple, when you have that need haul a trailer behind, when you dont need it just use the box truck, thats what I am planning for next year

Sweet Tater
11-11-2010, 07:23 PM

you drive your truck and trailer on a customers lawn :nono: even as redneck as I am I would never do that.

yardguy28
11-11-2010, 08:11 PM
you drive your truck and trailer on a customers lawn :nono: even as redneck as I am I would never do that.

maybe i'm more redneck than you.........:laugh:

h400exinfl
11-12-2010, 06:49 AM
Those with box trucks w/ dove tails: Can you through hand helds in the dovetail in between houses? We mow a lot of residential and the mowers just stay on the ground in between houses. I can see a big slow down if we have to put all ramps down and roll up a door at every house just to get to the hand helds. So, for me, accessability of handhelds would be the other disadvantage of a box truck, besides debris hauling. Other than that, I like all the upsides.

Hoots
11-12-2010, 07:06 AM
It all depends on the design of the dovetail. Some are easy access while others are a complete cage. My ramps are 4' split with spring assist. One "D" ring pin to remove and throw down the ramp with one hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

h400exinfl
11-12-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the response. Let me clarify, Is anybody carrying the handhelds on the dovetail in between lawns? That would totally mitigate the need to put the ramps down at each stop. Other than a rack on the outside of the box, I don't see a way to accomplish this.

imagelawnlandscape
11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
We have used a 16' box van for 6 years. The biggest advantage is that you don't have to worry about locking up and covering your equipment every night. Our start up time in the morning is just start and go. Another advantage is not having to deal with police harassing you about securing equipment down and more than 7 gallons of gasoline. We carry a 36" walk behind, a 48" Turf Tiger, and a 50" Exmark Lazer with no problem. Also if you get one get a diesel.

Outdoors_Unlimited
11-12-2010, 09:55 PM
How do you get around the fuel rule because of a box van?

I've seen crews with the blowers riding the dovetail down main roads, all depends on the design of the tail. FWIW you could always put racks outside mounted on the dovetail. When your done at the end of the night throw the hsndhelds on the floor and lock it up.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh_Cut
11-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Fuel rule?
Posted via Mobile Device

Outdoors_Unlimited
11-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Fuel rule?
Posted via Mobile Device

Imagelawns commented that he doesn't get harrased for the rule of carrying more than 7 gallons. I wondered how the box van got you around that rule.

My main reason for wanting a box van is to avoid the dot. Here in Michigan we can label them under 10k gvw and not need commercial plates, and you avoid MOST of the rules.
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
11-13-2010, 08:07 AM
a rule about carrying 7 gallons of fuel?

is this a rule about how much fuel you can carry in containers because most LCO's have a least that much fuel between whats in the mowers, trimmers and fuel cans.

my 52" grandstand has a 6 gallon tank alone, plus the exmark metro tank i think is 4 gallons, and the 21 incher tank is a commercial size tank, then you the trimmer and stick edger, plus i have one 2 gallon can of regular fuel and two 2 gallons cans of mix.

so that adds up to be at least 18 gallons of fuel.

i've never heard of a fuel rule. so thats why i'm asking.

imagelawnlandscape
11-13-2010, 07:13 PM
In NYS you can only can 7 gallons of gas in cans (total gas and mixed gas). The box van helps avoid police and DOT. All my buddies that have trailers have been pulled over for not strapping down mowers, or trailer lights, or holding too much gas in cans, or not strapping down gas cans. Police and DOT love pulling over landscapers for fun. Since all equipment is hidden we have yet to have any problems.

4 seasons lawn&land
11-13-2010, 07:30 PM
guess ive broken that law a few times

yardguy28
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
i'm not sure we have a law like that in my state. i can't image we do as i see plenty of LCO's, construction companys, etc. that have way more than 7 gallons in gas cans.

i personally would never carry more than the 6 gallons i have because i don't like dealing with the larger cans.

i keep one 2 gallon can of regular gas and two 2 gallon cans of mix.

should i mention that an enclosed trailer will avoid the dot and police stopping you as well. you don't need a box truck for that purpose.

lyube
11-14-2010, 02:30 PM
NY state jack booted thuggery at it's finest.

Another benefit of having a box truck is always having a rolling, portable shed to put stuff in :D.

Outdoors_Unlimited
11-14-2010, 04:59 PM
That's how I'm looking at it lyube
Posted via Mobile Device

yardguy28
11-14-2010, 05:23 PM
been mentioned before in this very thread but for those that keep mentioning some of the same things lets compare box truck vs. enclosed trailer.

box truck:
portable shed
equipment protection from thieves
equipment protection from weather
billboard advertising

enclosed trailer:
portable shed
billboard advertising

hmmmmm i still fail to see how a box truck is better than a truck/trailer combo.

not saying people can't get them. you should do what you want to do it's your business but i do not see how they are superior like people are claiming.

Outdoors_Unlimited
11-14-2010, 09:00 PM
been mentioned before in this very thread but for those that keep mentioning some of the same things lets compare box truck vs. enclosed trailer.

box truck:
portable shed
billboard advertising

enclosed trailer:
portable shed
billboard advertising

hmmmmm i still fail to see how a box truck is better than a truck/trailer combo.

not saying people can't get them. you should do what you want to do it's your business but i do not see how they are superior like people are claiming.

Your points are valid. An enclosed trailer will do the same thing. What it can't do is be tagged under 10k gvw in the state of Michigan. Savings of $400 a year on plates alone. Less equipment to insure. Less tires to maintain. Safer driving characteristics. Less foot print for storage. Cheaper by a long shot compared to a compareable pickup and enclosed. Better fuel mileage than a pickup towing a trailer.

Disadvantages, debris, the landscape crew can stop and grab it in the dump.

Bteakover angle for the ramp, build a long dovetail with a power lift.

I know where your coming from though, I've worked out of an enclosed trailer for 15 years now.
Posted via Mobile Device

coastallandscapesolutions
11-14-2010, 09:05 PM
can't bag grass, can't remove storm debris, good luck pruning properties with that truck. all it can do it mow grass, no plowing, no hauling material or debris.

Drag a trailer for debris.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs976.snc4/76924_162152000490992_148742328498626_290652_6972284_n.jpg

Outdoors_Unlimited
11-14-2010, 09:16 PM
That's another variation. Sweet setup Coastal!
Posted via Mobile Device

PLS-Tx
11-14-2010, 10:30 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs976.snc4/76924_162152000490992_148742328498626_290652_6972284_n.jpg

That's what I plan to do, not every day of course but when needed. Nice rig btw.

yardguy28
11-15-2010, 09:20 AM
Your points are valid. An enclosed trailer will do the same thing. What it can't do is be tagged under 10k gvw in the state of Michigan. Savings of $400 a year on plates alone. Less equipment to insure. Less tires to maintain. Safer driving characteristics. Less foot print for storage. Cheaper by a long shot compared to a compareable pickup and enclosed. Better fuel mileage than a pickup towing a trailer.

Disadvantages, debris, the landscape crew can stop and grab it in the dump.

Bteakover angle for the ramp, build a long dovetail with a power lift.

I know where your coming from though, I've worked out of an enclosed trailer for 15 years now.
Posted via Mobile Device

all valid points. some don't apply for me as i'm not in michigan. mostly the tagged under 10k gvw.

i run a 6' x 12' enclosed with a regular trailer plate. no DOT numbers for me needed.

how is it less equipment to insure? i'm assuming you'd haul the same amount of equipment in the box truck as you would the enclosed trailer.

doesn't that defeat one of the purposes you guys into box trucks are going for? not hauling a trailer.

11-15-2010, 11:44 AM
doesn't that defeat one of the purposes you guys into box trucks are going for? not hauling a trailer.

The reason for the box truck in this shot is that it is a school maintenance rig. We have to carry so much stuff that this is the best and most secure way of doing it. We also get a lot of calls from parents that see these trucks at the schools. I'll get a shot of the inside later. It also carries one z-turn mower if needed.

Inside there are two spreaders, three push mowers, 36" WB, 2 edgers, 3 trimmers, 1 FS350 brush butter, 1 pole pruner, 1 pole hedge clipper, 1 pole saw, 3 hedge trimmers, 2 chain saws, 3 BR600's, 4 back pack sprayers, chemicals, stick tools, 2 ladders, irrigation parts and supplies, 2 water coolers, 1 reg cooler, tool box, etc. You get the idea. It shows up on the site and is there for 4-10 hours depending on the size of the school and what needs to be done. When the door is closed it is secure.

One thing we do is when the hedges are cut we remove the big stuff and mulch the rest. This reduces 80% of what we have hauled away in the past.

11-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Oh yea..... a 30 gallon sprayer that mounts to the Choppers ROP to spray RoundUp,Sahara mix.

11-15-2010, 12:57 PM
Here's a shot of the inside of one of the Isuzu's that just came back into the yard.

http://www.coastallandscapesolutions.com/images/Stuff%20not%20to%20be%20transferred%20to%20new%20website/IMG00190-20101115-12371.jpg

PLS-Tx
11-15-2010, 01:05 PM
Oh yea..... a 30 gallon sprayer that mounts to the Choppers ROP to spray RoundUp,Sahara mix.

Where did you get your box trucks, gas or diesel? Thanks

11-15-2010, 01:21 PM
They are Isuzu NPR HD (Class 5) with 6.0 gas. Over the years it turns out cheaper to run gas vs diesel. Gas is good for 230,000 and diesel is about 275,000. For the difference it just didn't add up when we bought them. Gas is cheaper by almost a .60 now here. The axle is a 4:88 so even dragging a trailer we get between 9-10 mpg. Without a 18' trailer it goes up to 14-15.

If I had to buy a new one I would seriously look at the Isuzu NQR for the additional payload and brakes capacity.

11-15-2010, 01:24 PM
One other thing too to consider about a box truck. Even if you have to load the back with clippings, shrubs, etc. you don't have to tarp it.

Fresh_Cut
11-15-2010, 01:51 PM
Wow. So I guess its just my truck that gets horrible mileage.

I filled up last night and I had hit the trip meter to see how many miles I got out of an entire tank of gas, it was 244 miles. Let's round that to 250. My tank holds 35 gallons.
250/35= 7.142 mpg

That altered my mood, right there. Instantly pissed me off.

For reference, my box truck is a 14' 1998 Ford E350 with a 5.4L V8, E4OD trans.
Posted via Mobile Device

11-15-2010, 02:01 PM

I filled up last night and I had hit the trip meter to see how many miles I got out of an entire tank of gas, it was 244 miles. Let's round that to 250. My tank holds 35 gallons.
250/35= 7.142 mpg

Posted via Mobile Device

The Isuzu's have the 6.0 GM engine, 4L80E Transmission and 4:88 gears in the rear. We reflashed the the computer which actually gave us a little more power, changed shift points on our transmission and we picked up a 12% increase in MPG. Nobody has a lead foot so there are no jack rabbit starts. They don't move fast by any means but we have gotten them to move efficiently carrying the load that they are. Those trailers are 6480lbs loaded.

Fresh_Cut
11-15-2010, 02:15 PM
So you don't think diesel would have better fuel mileage?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fresh_Cut
11-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Can anyone comment on my engine/Trans and why I'm getting such horrible mileage?
Posted via Mobile Device

knox gsl
11-15-2010, 02:27 PM
Coastal that is a nice setup, as for Yardguy we get your point but what you're doing isn't best for everyone. I myself want to get a 12' SRW van with a fold down ramp(no dovetail) to run my mowing routes. Its not to replace my current truck/trailer combo but to be more efficient and have a better looking rig. Alot of a advertising is perception, and to me a new customer would hopefully look at a van as a smoother cleaner operation, hopefully landing more business. The vans by no means replace a truck trailer combo and for that reason I would never do away with having my 6x16 open trailer.

Also I can purchase a 12' van for less than the cost of a truck and trailer, and also save on tags. In TN we have to buy commercial tags in GVW classes with 9K as the smallest and then 16K and then 26K and up. The van would be in the 9K and under and therefore also cheaper to insure. I also think about maintenace and the van needs much less with half as many brakes, tires and axles to take care of. Lets talk about fuel, van 14MPG and truck/trailer 9MPG??????? I think for a guy adding a second rig or wanting to have a more efficiant business that box trucks are the way to go.

Another thing I look at is that the larger more profitable companies are going with box trucks all across the country. I personally don't want to reinvent the wheel or to keep doing things the old way, so I will look at the larger operations and build my buisness in a similar way. The bottom line is what matters in my business. Truck cost + trailer cost + more maintenance + more insurance + more liability + more fuel = more cost.

11-15-2010, 02:42 PM
So you don't think diesel would have better fuel mileage?
Posted via Mobile Device

The diesel will give you 0.9 to 1.4 MPG over the gas. (per our Isuzu dealer). Run that over 200K miles and the difference in fuel pricing and maintenance the gas version of the truck will be more cost effective.

Diesel here is $3.02 per Gallon. Unleaded is $2.59 as of this morning. Trucks have a 30 gallon tank. You can do the math. $77.70 vs. $90.60. Then run that out over 200,000 miles. Don't forget, the new diesels have to have the additive now (all 2011 Class 3 & above) and that system jumps the price of an Isuzu $8K for a diesel. So you pay more up front and more over the long haul for what comes out to be 50,000 extra miles you get out of a diesel.

You local Isuzu dealer should be able to get you a printout showing all the cost breakdown by mileage of gas verses diesel.

knox gsl
11-15-2010, 02:46 PM
The diesel will give you 0.9 to 1.4 MPG over the gas. (per our Isuzu dealer). Run that over 200K miles and the difference in fuel pricing and maintenance the gas version of the truck will be more cost effective.

Diesel here is $3.02 per Gallon. Unleaded is $2.59 as of this morning. Trucks have a 30 gallon tank. You can do the math. $77.70 vs. $90.60. Then run that out over 200,000 miles. Don't forget, the new diesels have to have the additive now (all 2011 Class 3 & above) and that system jumps the price of an Isuzu $8K for a diesel. So you pay more up front and more over the long haul for what comes out to be 50,000 extra miles you get out of a diesel.

You local Isuzu dealer should be able to get you a printout showing all the cost breakdown by mileage of gas verses diesel.

Gas is the way to go for me. Cheaper fuel, cheaper repairs, and cheaper trucks, little less power and engine life. I've driven the Ford 5.4 and the GM 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0 in box trucks and they all have plenty of poer for moving around lawn mowers.

Fresh_Cut
11-15-2010, 02:56 PM

Thank you very much. I am glad you responded with numbers, you have drastically changed my view of gas Isuzu's. I am open-minded and will give this consideration.

I'm still selling my truck, but now I'm open to looking at the gas versions of the isuzu instead of only looking at the diesel only.

I'm not sure what's going on with my Ford to where it's getting such bad mpg. I do know that there is an issue with the trans. I thought it was my 2nd gear, but a buddy that has an older ford box truck rode with me one day and he thinks it's a U-joint. I do get "torque shutter", I think its called, when going between 25-40 mph, or maybe it's 30-45 mph.
Either way, I'm thinking that even if I was to have the transmission rebuilt I still wouldn't see 14-15 mpg.

11-15-2010, 03:01 PM
2011 Isuzu Specs are:

DIESEL:

4 - 115 (4.53) x 125 (4.92)
Displacement 317 CID (5.19L)
HP (Gross) 210 @ 2550 rpm
Torque (Gross lb ft) 441 @ 1850 rpm

6.0-liter V-8 engine

* 325 hp and 360 lbs.-ft. of torque
* 6-speed automatic transmission – standard on the 2012 model year trucks

There just isn't enough difference in the diesel torque and MPG to justify the additional $8500.00 over gas. Let's not mention the insurance factor. Diesels are more expensive to insure then gas on commercial policies.

knox gsl
11-15-2010, 03:12 PM
I didn't know about the insurance part even more reason to go with a gas burner.

Fresh_Cut
11-15-2010, 03:41 PM
2011 Isuzu Specs are:

DIESEL:

6.0-liter V-8 engine

There just isn't enough difference in the diesel torque and MPG to justify the additional $8500.00 over gas. Let's not mention the insurance factor. Diesels are more expensive to insure then gas on commercial policies.

Let me be clear, I'm in no way capable of buying something new. Anything I buy will 8 years old AT LEAST.

I'm looking at trucks 1998-2003.

PLS-Tx
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
2011 Isuzu Specs are:

DIESEL:

6.0-liter V-8 engine

Thanks for all the info!!!

Do you buy your trucks new or used, what size box?

Thanks again for taking the time to share what you have learned.

11-15-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for all the info!!!

Do you buy your trucks new or used, what size box?

Thanks again for taking the time to share what you have learned.

I have 5 Isuzu's. Two were bought used and three purchased new. All are gas with 16' boxes. The last 3 have the Supreme Vanscaper bodies.

Now that being said I am pricing out a Isuzu NQR desiel quad cab with a 20' Supreme Vanscaper body on it now. I need a long haul truck that will have a lot of windshield time to get to the jobsites we are bidding on. If I get the jobs I'll order the truck.

For more info on the Supreme bbodies go to www.supremecorp.com.

11-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Let me be clear, I'm in no way capable of buying something new. Anything I buy will 8 years old AT LEAST.

I'm looking at trucks 1998-2003.

The BIGGEST thing you need to watch out for in used Isuzu's is the transmission. The weak link in them is a small transmission cooler and they overheat easily. Put an aftermarket transmission cooler on them ASAP. The biggest you can get. We also change the pans on them for increased capacity. The gas will run you in the low $3K range to replace while the diesels are $4K to $5K to repair/replace.

When I look at a used Isuzu the first thing I do is pull out the transmission dipstick and smell it to see if it smells burnt and what color it is. It if is bad I'll walk away unless it is a deal to good to pass up.

We also pick up vehicle from www.govdeals.com. I'm about ready to score a nice class 8 dump truck tomorrow as long as bidding doesn't go crazy.

lyube
11-15-2010, 08:38 PM

250/35= 7.142 mpg

Posted via Mobile Device

Holy smokes, in my Camry Wagon I get 29 MPG with a car full of guns and a rough headwind at 65.

350 per tank.

Our E350 box trucks get around 10-14 usually.

PLS-Tx
11-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I have 5 Isuzu's. Two were bought used and three purchased new. All are gas with 16' boxes. The last 3 have the Supreme Vanscaper bodies.

Now that being said I am pricing out a Isuzu NQR desiel quad cab with a 20' Supreme Vanscaper body on it now. I need a long haul truck that will have a lot of windshield time to get to the jobsites we are bidding on. If I get the jobs I'll order the truck.

For more info on the Supreme bbodies go to www.supremecorp.com.

Do you have any pics of your trucks with the Supreme Vanscaper bodies? Also, what do they cost new for a gas truck with 16' box?

johnnybravo8802
11-25-2010, 11:30 AM
all those senarios could happen with the owner of the business pulling the truck/trailer as well. and all those senario's could happen with a box truck as well.

i really don't think you need any training to pull a trailer. i'm not the brightest apple in the bunch and i figured it out. i barely made it out of highschool.

no i don't have employees but if or when i do they will be driving trucks pulling trailers for sure. hell i might even have my first employee do the driving in my truck and trailer while i sit as a passenger and return phone calls. and that truck is my personal truck as well.
Spoken like a true beginner!!! NO offense, just experience talking. I went to truck driving school where we backed trailers for 6 hrs/day as part of our training. There are probably few people who can back and pull a trailer as good as I can and I misjudge from time to time-It will happen eventually. You hire some idiot who can't even start a weedeater and you're giving him a truck and trailer that's 42' long?!!!!!!!!!! There's a large responsibility for others safety when it comes to truck and trailer also +, not to mention, every piece of equipment you own rolling down the highway at 60+MPH.

And yea, I owned a new 01' Isuzu box truck and I plan to get another one soon-I have a truck and trailer combo as a backup that only I will drive. The turning radius is awesome, your equipment is right behind your head out of the weather, you can get them into much tighter areas, etc, etc. They are a good SECOND vehicle only which is exactly what you're doing. Good choice!!!!:clapping:

PLS-Tx
11-25-2010, 12:35 PM
Spoken like a true beginner!!! NO offense, just experience talking. I went to truck driving school where we backed trailers for 6 hrs/day as part of our training. There are probably few people who can back and pull a trailer as good as I can and I misjudge from time to time-It will happen eventually. You hire some idiot who can't even start a weedeater and you're giving him a truck and trailer that's 42' long?!!!!!!!!!! There's a large responsibility for others safety when it comes to truck and trailer also +, not to mention, every piece of equipment you own rolling down the highway at 60+MPH.

And yea, I owned a new 01' Isuzu box truck and I plan to get another one soon-I have a truck and trailer combo as a backup that only I will drive. The turning radius is awesome, your equipment is right behind your head out of the weather, you can get them into much tighter areas, etc, etc. They are a good SECOND vehicle only which is exactly what you're doing. Good choice!!!!:clapping:

Very well said!!!

Is your Isuzu gas or diesel, what size box?

johnnybravo8802
11-25-2010, 01:17 PM
Very well said!!!

Is your Isuzu gas or diesel, what size box?
It was diesel and was whisper quiet with plenty of power(175HP). I had a supreme body that was 16'+4' with a sliding side door, shelves in the front, and a trimmer trapp for the weedeaters. It was a cadillac for lawn maintenance. We relocated and I had to sell it but I want another.

PLS-Tx
11-25-2010, 08:57 PM
It was diesel and was whisper quiet with plenty of power(175HP). I had a supreme body that was 16'+4' with a sliding side door, shelves in the front, and a trimmer trapp for the weedeaters. It was a cadillac for lawn maintenance. We relocated and I had to sell it but I want another.

Ok thanks.

I was wanting to get a gas box truck but most that I'm finding used are diesel.

lyube
11-25-2010, 09:16 PM
Another fellow found an 88 GMC box van w/ 88k for 1500$, mint condition. Sweet deal.

11-25-2010, 11:03 PM
This is the kind of deal I look for and yea, I am buying it.

http://www.cpecdirect.com/Trucks/Isuzu/1999-Isuzu-NPR-HD---Turbo-Diesel/product-478

PLS-Tx
11-25-2010, 11:32 PM

http://www.cpecdirect.com/Trucks/Isuzu/1999-Isuzu-NPR-HD---Turbo-Diesel/product-478

Wow, that's a good deal!!

gasracer
11-26-2010, 09:45 AM

You could sale that bed and put a Vanscape or landscape body on it for that price.

11-26-2010, 01:45 PM
You could sale that bed and put a Vanscape or landscape body on it for that price.

I'll get the truck repainted and use the service body on it for an irrigation service truck. Can beat the price and they are doing the DOT inspection on it so it will be good to go.

PLS-Tx
11-26-2010, 02:42 PM
Why can't I find deals like that??????????????

grass disaster
11-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Why can't I find deals like that??????????????

ill sell you a 4700 low pro international with 40k miles on it for 9k

PLS-Tx
11-26-2010, 10:43 PM
ill sell you a 4700 low pro international with 40k miles on it for 9k

Sure, I will leave in the mornin and head your way.

grass disaster
11-28-2010, 09:05 AM
heres my truck for sale if anyones interested

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=334775