PDA

View Full Version : Tinting LEDs

Chris J
10-13-2010, 06:08 PM
Hi all, it's been a while. Looking for some different ideas on how to tone down some Kichler 15733's. The light on the home is a bit too white for the customer, and she wants it to be more amber in color (similar to an undervolted incandescent). I tried some amber lenses I purchased from FOLD, but that was too dark and they don't have anything that is less dark. I thought about using a clear lens and "misting" a brown or orange color over it, but I'm not sure I want to do anything like that cause it's just cheesy to me. Anybody have any thoughts on how to tone the color down a tad?

Illumicare
10-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Hi Chris. Get yourself over to a stage lighting supply co. and buy some various sheets of gel material. http://www.rosco.com/us/index.cfm

You will find the right tone to adjust the output there, without cutting down to much intensity. How you will mount to the sealed fixture will be an issue though. You might try laminating a cut disk of the gel onto the lens of the fixture?

Of course, next time you might want to try some accurate LED lamps that provide you with a variety of CCT's to pick from. :)

James

Chris J
10-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Thanks for reminding me James. I forgot all about the Gels. I'm actually very content with the light output, but sometimes you run into a customer who is very particular and wants things that are just not right. It's like meeting with a client who likes the neighbors house, but when you look over there its all a bunch of crap from Home Depot that is severely under volteed. But what's a guy supposed to do? I'm just gonna make her happy and give her what she wants. Thanks again for the idea.

elegance_alex
10-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Careful using theater lighting gels. Theater lights have a gel holder that keeps the gel material off the lens or lamp. Glass filters or dichrioc tints on glass would be better I think. You can use incremental Color Temperature Blue or Color Temperature Orange. I use 1/4 CTB and 1/2 CTB, 1/4 CTO and 1/2 CTO for these minor temperature adjustments.

MarcSmith
10-14-2010, 01:12 PM
the gels will bleach over time as well...

Pro-Scapes
10-14-2010, 01:14 PM
The amber or orange lenses your trying do really cut down the light alot. Hob big is the system ? brand new ? Might be worth just swapping it out to either an MR16 LED This is the biggest drawback that concearns me with LED lamps. The ability to manipulate the light to accomplish my goal.

Chris J
10-14-2010, 10:17 PM
Thank you all for the input. But because it is LED, there is virtually no heat to contend with as in the theatrical or stage lighting. The bleaching affect is a concern though. UV rays from the sun will still exist even though the fixtures are relatively cool. Thank you Alex and everyone else.

RLI Electric
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Service contract-"We eliminate bleached gels"?

steveparrott
10-15-2010, 11:28 AM
Ideally, you'd use a glass dichroic filter, but I don't think you'll find one of the right size for the Kichler lights.

Lee or Roscoe gels would be your best solution. Heat won't be a problem but they might bleach over time (I'd guess they'd need to be replaced once a year).

Color suggestions:

Lee has a very useful online tool to guide in color gel selection to convert one color temp to another:

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/lighting/products/mired/

Pro-Scapes
10-15-2010, 01:22 PM
Ideally, you'd use a glass dichroic filter, but I don't think you'll find one of the right size for the Kichler lights.

Lee or Roscoe gels would be your best solution. Heat won't be a problem but they might bleach over time (I'd guess they'd need to be replaced once a year).

Color suggestions:

Lee has a very useful online tool to guide in color gel selection to convert one color temp to another:

http://www.leefiltersusa.com/lighting/products/mired/

I dont rememeber where I got it from (Oscar Welch maybe??) but I have a small booklet of sample gels from Lee Filters that comes in handy. We have had to custom order some for weddings and such to get just the right highlights

steveparrott
10-15-2010, 01:46 PM
I dont rememeber where I got it from (Oscar Welch maybe??) but I have a small booklet of sample gels from Lee Filters that comes in handy. We have had to custom order some for weddings and such to get just the right highlights

Call or email Tal Kendra from Lee Filters. She might provide a sample swatch book: 818-434-4044 or tal@leefiltersusa.com.