PDA

View Full Version : Unloading pickup truck with leaves

Barrett Landscaping
10-13-2010, 09:27 PM
just bought a 18hp billy goat truck loader:cool2:. I will be loading the leaves into my 2002 ford f250. the only problem is that i do not have a dump bed. does anyone have a way to unload the leaves besides by hand? I was thinking about making a "skid" and putting it in the front of the truck with a rope and tying it off to a tree and having it pull the leaves out as you drive away. would this work? has anyone had experience doing this? I plan on getting a dump trailer for next year. any input would be great!

Runner
10-13-2010, 10:36 PM
Pallets on the floor of the bed with chain fed under them with a tail left to hook onto.

Barrett Landscaping
10-13-2010, 11:02 PM
hpw would putting them on the floor instead of upright towards the cab work?

Runner
10-13-2010, 11:31 PM
Upright is better, but you have to make like a butterfly knot setup so it pulls out straight and doesn't turn and bind on you. If you can imagine like a 4 point harness to lift a pallet, that's what I'm referring to. If you have a chain or cable, it can just rest on the floor, because when tension is pulled on it, it will cut right through the debris to form a straight line to pull.

jwsland
10-14-2010, 03:41 AM
I always put a tarp underneath my loads before I had a dump trailer. Depending on how heavy it was I could usually pull it off. But that would be using your hands! haha.

Barrett Landscaping
10-14-2010, 07:38 AM
runner, that was exactly waht i was thinking with cabels. jws, there would be no way that i could use a tarp on 1000lbs+ of leaves :dizzy:

whosedog
10-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Buy the load handler for under $200,it's a heavy duty tarp with a crank that attaches to your tailgate,it works great.You can use it to unload dirt,gravel logs etc.The only problem I have with it is if the load gets caught behind your wheel wells the tarp will leave the load behind,so just clean out behind the wheel wells and it will work fine.There are lots of threads on here discussing the pros and cons,but if you don't want to spend the $ on a dump insert,it's the way to go.

jwsland
10-14-2010, 10:39 PM
runner, that was exactly waht i was thinking with cabels. jws, there would be no way that i could use a tarp on 1000lbs+ of leaves :dizzy:

True! :laugh:

mvp landscaping llc
10-14-2010, 11:28 PM
I also purchased the load handler for under $200 from Northern and it works wonders. Best money I ever spent, time saver and back saver on heavy loads of dirt and stone. I plan on using it alot for my fall cleanups this year. Wish I bought it earlier in the season to help with some spring cleanups and mulch jobs.

Barrett Landscaping
10-14-2010, 11:44 PM
i have looked into that but it seems too flimsy, especially from what i have heard from other ls members. besides it wouldnt work with wet leaves because they are too slick. I dont feel that it will be able to get grip to unload 1,000+ lbs of leaves

mvp landscaping llc
10-15-2010, 01:01 AM
I used it one day when delivering and unloading topsoil. I dropped four seperate loads of 1+ yards at 4 different locations in less than 2 hours. The guys at the nursery that I was picking up from looked at me like I had twelve heads when they saw me pull in and unwind this tarp. By the end of the day they were all asking me where to get it and how much. As long as you have a plastic bedliner in the truck, not a rhino spray liner it works great. They sell an optional mat to make it even easier in the event you do have the rhino liner. When I bought it I was thinking that there was no way this thing was going to work, but for $150 it was worth a shot. Once you get it assembled it takes 5 minutes to hook up to your truck or any other truck as the mount is universal and has straps with it. I dont know exactly how much a yard of topsoil weighs but I would guess it has to be real close to a ton, my f350 handled like a nightmare with the load in it, so I know it was rather heavy. I think you would be quite surprised with the performance of the unit. In the big picture $150 bucks is nothing. Figure the low side of labor charges would be $40/hour, it takes less than 5 minutes to unload a full bed of material, opposed to 30 - 45 minutes to unload by hand and shovel, it pays for itself in 4 loads. I know I sound like a sales rep for these units but I was just beyond pleased with the performance and recommend it to everyone who asks about it. I understand your concern with wet leaves, but if there is enough weight on there you will not have a problem. In the event that you do have a problem, you could always lay a cinder block or two at the base of the cab in the bed on the tarp and that would give you the weight needed to keep the tarp in place while unloading... Anyhow, good luck with whatever option you come up with, keep us updated, who knows maybe I will be eating my words in a couple weeks while doing my leaf cleanups cursing this contraption and apologizing for recommending it to you, lol.

MICHPLOWER
10-15-2010, 01:05 AM
Why not just use the the pallet ideal but hook up a winch so the winch can haul all the leafs out just in case there's no trees or loader to help. just what I am thinking of doing let me know what you guys think of the ideal. good or bad.

MICHPLOWER

Millers Lawn Care
12-14-2010, 12:28 AM
I say AMEN to MVP on the Loadhandler. I have had one for the last 6 years & it is definitely money well spent. I use it every day for my grass clippings- just throw them in my 3/4 ton truck & at the end of the day, its a breeze to unload. Sometimes, if we get lots of grass & really have to stomp it down lots during the day to get it all to fit, the tarp will want to slide out underneath. Then I just have my brother stand on the load in the front for extra weight & that usually takes care of it. Granted, it doensn't get ALL the grass out cause of the wheel wells, but for sure the bulk of it anyway. They do make several different sizes & I think the heaviest one is rated for 3500 lbs. altho I'd be a little hesitant to put THAT much on one. I have never seen someone that has one of these & isn't thrilled with it! But there I sound like I have stocks in the company so I'll sign off.

Agape
12-14-2010, 03:55 PM
I don't know about your areas, but no one around here has anything to tie onto to drive away, also this keeps the leaves on top of your tarp, but on the ground.
Just gotta put a tarp under and pull fork it until light enough to peel off.

no matter what you spend on a dump, it will be worth it to the extent that you will kick yourself for not getting one sooner-I'll never buy another vehicle that doesn't dump! (MAYBE NOT EVEN FOR MY WIFE LOL!!)

Agape
12-14-2010, 04:04 PM
I tried the load handler years ago and got stuff behind the wheel wells (if you clean out the wheel wells, you may as well just unload the truck by hand), also, if I only put clippings from 1 lawn on it, the wind would billow and drag the tarp out from under the grass (sometimes the next job is 1 exit up the freeway etc...)
and i'd have 8' of tarp blowing out the back. was no fun for me.

dKoester
12-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Use a backpack blower.

Agape
12-14-2010, 09:35 PM
Use a backpack blower.

I think people want to do it quickly

dKoester
12-14-2010, 09:55 PM
If you don't have a dump bed or skid save your back. He's only got the 250's bed.

lifetree
12-14-2010, 10:13 PM
Use a backpack blower.

I think people want to do it quickly

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Agape
12-14-2010, 10:44 PM
"He's only got the 250's bed."

what does that mean, like a ford F250? and what point are you making?

dKoester
12-14-2010, 11:13 PM
Well yes. My point less manual labor using a BR600 or other top of the line blower than unloading it by hand. He doesn't have a dump bed or skid.

Mountain Peak
12-18-2010, 04:29 PM
I also have a load handler and love it. I've cranked out a yard of 3/4 inch washed rock before and it works wonders.
For clippings I use the load handler and then blow it clean with my blower. Less than 5 minutes to unload.

newjerseylandscaping
12-18-2010, 05:52 PM
How bout using the leaf vac to unload the leaves as well??? just turn the spout to face away from the truck. THey go in, then they come out, Bada bing Bada Boom

Ben's Landscape
03-08-2011, 01:29 PM
i didnt have my dump insert last year however this year i will have one. I used a good mulch pitch fork and unloaded it by hand. honestly you wont beat any dump inserts or dump trucks but it does move along. The leaves when packed into the box can be flacked out very quickly and easly. Good luck

STIHL GUY
03-08-2011, 06:21 PM
i use a load handler tarp system to unload my truck when its full from the leaf loader

Glenn Lawn Care
03-08-2011, 07:01 PM
I have seen guys with huge tarps with handles and pull everything out... but it takes a few to move it due to it being so heavy.

I do it by hand... I use a hard rake, or a pitch fork and by back pack blower. Hopefully this will be my last year doing so!

newjerseylandscaping
03-08-2011, 08:39 PM
id consider this, im hoping to put one on my truck when i get it, right after the beginnin of next season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rd7tFLBYzYw&feature=related

StihlBR600
03-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Yeah it wouldnt have any problem if your leaves are mulched.