PDA

View Full Version : So here I am, kicked back in my easy chair..

southernprecision
10-13-2010, 09:48 PM
...flipping through my forwarded mail and I come across an ad in Sept issue of Landscape Management that states "The next great leap in broadleaf weed control is coming. October 2010". After dragging myself to the computer (really need a laptop), I find that the new product is Imprelis by DuPont...any users? Good product? It has been out supposedly13 days so has anyone had positive results?

grassman177
10-13-2010, 10:18 PM
no, but what is it , like new chems

MnLefty
10-14-2010, 07:36 AM
Just did a little digging on it and it sure looks impressive, although any manufacturer can make any new product look impressive... interesting points I took from reading the label...

- label mentions pre-emergence control, but gives no details

- can be used at seeding or any time after cool season grass has germinated Thumbs Up

- very low rates, 3-6 oz / ACRE, which of course means 1 gallon is going to be very expensive

- rainfast immediately... absorbed through tissue and roots

- label restrictions specifically call to NOT use clippings from treated areas for mulch or compost, clippings must not be removed except to the trash

- a.i. has a section of the name close to clopyralid, which had that same problem with herbicidal activity in the clippings of treated turf.

It looks to have some serious potential... I'd love to hear more about it. I'll have to check with a couple of my supplier friends to see what they know?

nik
10-14-2010, 04:45 PM
The active is
Potassium salt of 6-amino-5-chloro-2-cyclopropyl-4-pyrimidinecarboxylic acid

For you "can't waiters" here is the master label on file with EPA.

The label you see on your container may not have all the same info.

Lots of warnings, even one about against using lawn clippings with the residue on it for composting, like with Confront.

JoJo1990
10-14-2010, 06:39 PM
This almost seems to good to be true. Preemergence protection of some of the toughest to control broadleafs, labeled for pre and post seeding/renovations AND can be tank mixed with most other herbicides and liquid iron products. I really can't wait for more info on DuPont's test plots they treated with this product. You can bet it will be expensive, but this could be a game changer...

Here is some info from DuPont... http://www2.dupont.com/Professional_Products/en_US/Products_and_Services/Imprelis/index.html

grassman177
10-14-2010, 07:34 PM
wow, after reading that label, this stuff could be a great thing to use, i mean at time of seeding!>!>! this means i could still blanket a lawn instead of spot treat and fert which is different then the normal fall treatment when i seed lawns. how cool is that. this sounds like a serious breakthrough and i am for sure going to be getting some and trying it out

MnLefty
10-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Boy it's hard to contain or temper the enthusiasm for this product... As JoJo stated it really could be a game changer... here's a few more nuggets I picked out of this presentation from Dupont

https://ilca.net/education/Lawn_Care/Presentations/Steward.pdf

> No temperature restrictions... none.

> No need to reapply after rain. They stated one of the test plots with granular product basically flooded right after application and they still got outstanding results.

> No odor

> Outstanding results blended onto fertilizer. Because of the root uptake you don't need to land it on the plant tissue. Impressive results in the studies shown in the powerpoint.

> Little to no volatility making it very safe around ornamentals

> PPE does not even require gloves! Long pants/sleeves, shoes and socks, no gloves listed

All I can hope for right now is that I don't have to take out a loan to buy a jug!

Shegardi
10-14-2010, 09:51 PM
3 oz per acre? Won't be easy to use.

greendoctor
10-15-2010, 04:05 AM
This stuff just begs to be restricted to use on sod farms and golf courses only. If the same warnings for this product were in place when Lontrel and Confront were first released, things might be different. I also cannot imagine it being eligible for registration in Hawaii and New York. Otherwise, I like the idea of how it moves through soil and stays there to control hard weeds. I am curious to know how well st augustine and bermuda tolerates this. The same AI has been researched for VM applications.

southernprecision
10-15-2010, 07:44 AM
Thanks JoJo and Nik for the links. I too, was very excited to see that Imprelis lists Chamberbitter (aka gripeweed), Spotted Spurge, and Vir. Buttonweed! The fact that it is not recommended for use on St Auggie and Bermuda really bites. That statement alone cuts out two of the three most use varieties around here. Regardless, any product that we can add to our arsenal to fight the Gripeweed at high temps is welcomed with open arms.

azjojo99
10-15-2010, 07:50 AM
> Because of the root uptake you don't need to land it on the plant tissue.
> Little to no volatility making it very safe around ornamentals

I would be careful of this stuff, to me the label reads very similar to Tordon (not labeled for residential use). The stuff stays in the ground and goes into the roots of plants, all plants, get it too close to ornamentals and they will probably be fryed. Long residual, goes into the clippings. Check out the 3rd restriction be the bottom of the label section. "Do not use grass clippings from treated areas as mulch...." It's so hot that it will be carried in the grass clippings and kill ornamentals if the grass is used as mulch.

Some hay growers that use Tordon get a bad rap becuase if the manure from animals fed the hay is used for compost, the compost can kill the plants it is used on.

Just something to think about....

White Gardens
10-15-2010, 09:14 AM
I would be careful of this stuff, to me the label reads very similar to Tordon (not labeled for residential use). The stuff stays in the ground and goes into the roots of plants, all plants, get it too close to ornamentals and they will probably be fryed. Long residual, goes into the clippings. Check out the 3rd restriction be the bottom of the label section. "Do not use grass clippings from treated areas as mulch...." It's so hot that it will be carried in the grass clippings and kill ornamentals if the grass is used as mulch.

Some hay growers that use Tordon get a bad rap becuase if the manure from animals fed the hay is used for compost, the compost can kill the plants it is used on.

Just something to think about....

Almost sounds like a similar mode of action as Drive for crabgrass (and other weeds on the label) in regards to systemic uptake and root uptake.

JoJo1990
10-15-2010, 02:49 PM
I just got off the phone with Bayer. They are still doing more testing and having current plots analyzed to potentially broaden the label even more as far as plants controlled by this product. Although they don't like to say the product is a true pre-emergent, it does have soil activity. Some of the field testing they are doing is determining the length of the soil activity. There are no solid numbers out yet but it could be around 90 days! This of course is based on the degredation of the AI and the application rate it is applied.

The rep again confirmed that the product can be used at ANY time before, during or after seeding or renovation. He also confirmed it is rain fast at the time of application.

I did some more research on the limited reading out there so far and the product showed really promising marks on the really hard to control broadleafs like ground ivy and wild violet. The product should be available for purchase by the end of October '10 to the major distributors and everyone else will have it shortly after that.