PDA

View Full Version : I accidently got a new customer...

David Gretzmier
10-13-2010, 10:23 PM
I confess that my guys have installed lights on the wrong house before. even though we videotape all new properties and add-ons, it happens. It sometimes happens when folks move and don't tell us. what usually happens is the folks who got the lights on the house call, or we get a call when the bill gets to the right person, or something. we usually fix it and make it right somehow. The person who has the lights on the house usually does not want them and is usually offended that we ask. The ones that want them but do not want to pay don't call and we don't find out until billing, and then we have to then come and take them down.

But yesterday something happened for the first time. We had a customer move around the corner, and before we installed she told us her new address, #5 grand prairie court ( not her actual address) . I then sent the guys out with the new address and driving directions, along with the instructions to add or subtract the c-9's and make it work and we'll charge her what we need for the new place. the guys install the stuff, and they call it a day. then I get the call.

what makes this unique is the address . it is #5 grand prairie DRIVE. #5 grand praire COURT, the correct house, is past it around the corner. so can't really blame my guys too much. also, the lady that calls that has my customer's product wants the install at the right price. I of course do not want to pay my guys to take it down and then splice it again for a 3rd house, so I came to a discounted agreement with the new customer , she purchased the used product and she is now onboard, and wants to add to the design next year. My rehang customer will get new product, and we are ahead of the game a bit.

and of course, I am happy, but it begs the question. who names these streets anyway? I know I have seen this dozens of times before, streets that have the same name but change to avenue, drive, court, place, etc, as you make turns in a neighborhood. why be confusing just because the subdivision developer thinks that name of the street is cool?

rlitman
10-14-2010, 10:26 AM
Well, that's an interesting way of marketing (kind of a free-trial / test-drive), but if it works for you maybe there's something to it. :)

Fireguy97
10-14-2010, 02:43 PM
it begs the question. who names these streets anyway? I know I have seen this dozens of times before, streets that have the same name but change to avenue, drive, court, place, etc, as you make turns in a neighborhood. why be confusing just because the subdivision developer thinks that name of the street is cool?

Exactly! Here, a developer can name the street anything he/she wants, as long as the name gets an OK from the Post Office. I've seen areas that were named after the developers family - his kids names, grandkids, ect. That wasn't too bad.

I've lived in an area called Sundance. We had Sundance Drive, Way, Court, Ave, Street, Crescent, Place, and every other variation. Then there was the same suffixes for Sun Vista, Sun Down, Sun Meadows, Sun Shine, Sun Lake, Sun Harbour, Sun Wood, and Sunset. I lived there, and I still needed a map when I did work there.

Mick