PDA

View Full Version : dying with your boots on {but which pair}

unit28
10-14-2010, 08:16 AM
I 've gone through a new pair of boots in less than a month.
I bought them from a reputable store too.

Since it's fall I opted for a waterproof design with good leather and a little insulation. The stitches looked good but they literaly came apart.

I'm going to man up and tell ya,
they're made in China.

So literally choking and hacking on leaf dust and dragging tarps loading trailers
I need a better boot to keep up....I ain't dying without my boots on!

what's good out there?

redskinsfan34
10-14-2010, 08:27 AM
Redwing. Simple as that. You get what you pay for. They can't be beat.

MarcSmith
10-14-2010, 08:37 AM
i have good luck with rocky boots....I believe they are still made in OH

malinois1
10-14-2010, 08:44 AM

I agree 100%. They are expensive but are the best out there!

unit28
10-14-2010, 08:47 AM

my dad was a cotton picker for years in Mississippi
He wore a millitary style of Redwings.

He died years ago, but that's all he wore.
I tried a pair on and they were tough as nails.
Seemed like they would be hard to break in.

malinois1
10-14-2010, 08:50 AM
my dad was a cotton picker for years in Mississippi
He wore a millitary style of Redwings.

He died years ago, but that's all he wore.
I tried a pair on and they were tough as nails.
Seemed like they would be hard to break in.

Nope they break-in in about a week or so. I would say they are the most comfortable boot out there

The mayor
10-14-2010, 08:53 AM
Those redwings take some time to break in. Once they do...great boots.

jeasley
10-14-2010, 09:06 AM
I have on a pair of Georgia's right now. I like them alot, (first pair I have ever owned, usually Justin or RedWing). Yesterday I noticed the sole split across the bottom, all the way through and about 4-5 inches across. Went back to where I bought them, and they told me that Rocky just bought out Georgia, and they have had alot of problems with the Georgia boots since. They don't even know if they will warranty them. Now I know I am TOUGH on boots, but these were bought in March, and the rubber sole is now split, something isn't right here........They are calling the factory rep today to discuss it.

greenstar lawn
10-14-2010, 09:31 AM
Red Wing boots are worth every penny

deerex
10-14-2010, 09:35 AM
http://www.campmor.com/timberland-mens-white-ledge-light-hiking-boots.shtml?source=CI&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=23-114304781-2 For the type of work I do these are great boots for the price. very comfy

All_Toro_4ME
10-14-2010, 10:01 AM
OP: look into Meindl boots. They're very soft and comfortable, insulated and waterproof.

White Gardens
10-14-2010, 10:28 AM
ASOLO boots work for me.

CLARK LAWN
10-14-2010, 10:44 AM
i have good luck with rocky boots....I believe they are still made in OH

nope they went to china a few years ago.

DitchDr
10-14-2010, 11:49 AM
http://www.campmor.com/timberland-mens-white-ledge-light-hiking-boots.shtml?source=CI&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=23-114304781-2 For the type of work I do these are great boots for the price. very comfy

Same ones I wear, I beat the stew out of my shoes and they are tough as nails.

93Chevy
10-14-2010, 12:46 PM
Spring 2008 I bought a pair of Chippewa Loggers "waterproof" for $220. Their chip-a-tex waterproofing didn't last and online store wouldn't return them because I used them. Haven't bought another pair.

Fall 2008 I bought a pair of Cabelas gore-tex loggers. Held up over a winter, and a full summer, and sarted leaking January 2010.

January 2010 I bought a pair of Wolverine gore-tex lacers. Within 2 months, the sole started to "chip." The leaked. Gore-tex replaced the boots for free. They were comfortable boots, and attractive, so I figured I'd use them for casual wear instead of my cowboy boots.

May 2010 I bought a pair of discontinued Wolverine gore-tex boots for a good price. Not very comfortable, however.

July 2010 I bought a pair of Cabelas gore-tex Wellingtons. Comfortable and very waterproof, but the sole isn't holding up well.

I think next spring I'll be looking for another gore-tex wellington or logger from another manufacturer.

Thank you.

deerex
10-14-2010, 04:39 PM
All the gortex hiker boots I have used in the past all leak when walking on wet dewey grass for very long.

2brothersyardcare
10-14-2010, 07:02 PM
timbs man timbs

georgiagrass
10-14-2010, 07:22 PM
It's hard to beat Lawn Grips for comfort, even with the steel toe. The sole is fairly soft, so don't expect to get more than a year or so out of them.

unit28
10-14-2010, 07:50 PM
Thank you.

no man,
thank you,
I apreciate your post

Anything from Cabela's I liked the "Dry Plus" material for hunting
and snow maintenance.

My favorite boot {hiking style} for working snow service is called Snow Runner

Personally I stay away from Gortex

LawnoftheMonth
10-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I picked up a pair of Lacrosse leather waterproof boots and I'm liking them a lot. I've had real bad luck with muck boots falling apart. I'll look into redwing if these dont hold up, I forgot about them.

93Chevy
10-14-2010, 09:59 PM
Personally I stay away from Gortex

Why is that? I haven't had luck with anything other than gore-tex. Plus their customer service is outstanding.

Not trying to change your mind, just curious. :waving:

Chevy z71
10-14-2010, 10:02 PM
Ariat lace ups.

unit28
10-14-2010, 11:23 PM
Why is that? I haven't had luck with anything other than gore-tex. Plus their customer service is outstanding.

Not trying to change your mind, just curious. :waving:

Because the material's aren't made for breathing as well as they say.
In the fall I'd sweat to death in it.
In the winter the material doesn't flex as well as Dry Plus.
Just my experience

jwsland
10-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Never owned Redwings but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I used to always buy cheap boots thinking I was saving money, nope. I always buy good quality boots noways. I have been buying Timberland Pro's lately. They have a few different types and are more work orientated than fashion. A great boot for $100 in my opinion.

Nobody has mentioned wellingtons! Not the tall rubber muck boot type, the work boot type. I also have a couple pairs of these. Sometimes they are hard to find in waterproof. They are great for mornings when the grass is wet with dew and you have to trim or rainy days. No laces, easy on easy off.

Eslocklier
10-19-2010, 12:08 PM
They don't make 'em like they used to.

I've had good luck with a Coleman boot they sell at Ross clothing stores (if they have any in stock at the time). They hold up alright, and they are clearanced around 30 bucks at Ross.

93Chevy
10-19-2010, 01:57 PM
Never owned Redwings but I have heard nothing but good things about them. I used to always buy cheap boots thinking I was saving money, nope. I always buy good quality boots noways. I have been buying Timberland Pro's lately. They have a few different types and are more work orientated than fashion. A great boot for $100 in my opinion.

Nobody has mentioned wellingtons! Not the tall rubber muck boot type, the work boot type. I also have a couple pairs of these. Sometimes they are hard to find in waterproof. They are great for mornings when the grass is wet with dew and you have to trim or rainy days. No laces, easy on easy off.

I've worn roper-style cowboy boots for dress and casual for 5-6 years. I figured I'd try a wellington-style work boot. Man, are they nice. Comfortable, easy on and off, and if you size right, you can't even tell you don't have laces.

Green Acres Lawn CAre
10-19-2010, 07:25 PM
I really like irish setters and the slip on georgia boots and neither of them have ever leeked on me.

unit28
10-21-2010, 08:23 AM
anyone try Bates ?....
http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Home.mvc.aspx

Thanks for all the replys.
I've literally been hammerd by all the leaf jobs
and havn't had time to look up. I've just about
run out the last stitch on what I'm wearing now.

White Gardens
10-21-2010, 10:14 AM
anyone try Bates ?....
http://www.batesfootwear.com/US/en-US/Home.mvc.aspx

Thanks for all the replys.
I've literally been hammerd by all the leaf jobs
and havn't had time to look up. I've just about
run out the last stitch on what I'm wearing now.

Junk! Built Way too light.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

If you want a military boot, go with the Fort Lewis, Danner Boot. Built for guys originally stationed in Germany.

jwsland
10-21-2010, 06:14 PM
Junk! Built Way too light.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

If you want a military boot, go with the Fort Lewis, Danner Boot. Built for guys originally stationed in Germany.

A former worker of mine swears by Danners.

93Chevy
10-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Just picked up a pair of Carolina insulated gore-tex loggers on discount for $100. Didn't really need a new pair of boots, but I might as well have a pair on standby should anything happen to my Cabelas Wellingtons. The Carolina loggers seem to be well-made and comfortable for the price. Gore-tex, thinsulate, and a vibram outsole for $100. Figured I couldn't beat the price, even if the leather doesn't last as long.

shooterm
10-22-2010, 12:23 AM
I bought three pairs of red wings in a row with them having the stitching come out of them. I switched to Carharts and love them. I'm not much for buying names either they just make nice coverals and now boots.

mrlandscaper
10-22-2010, 07:44 PM
I have the water proof steel toe Carhartt boots. I like them a lot, they dont leak.

jwsland
10-22-2010, 09:03 PM
Not to bash the two products just mentioned... but, from years of use I've learned Cabelas brand anything doesn't hold up. The sole tore off both my Cabelas wellingtons (pull on's) within 1 year. I still go to the store to purchase the other brands though!

The last pair of boots I bought were Carhartt wellington style, nice looking boot, its steel toe. Assuming they would be water proof at $139. They are not which sucks. They hurt my feet to the point where I cant wear them everyday. Also a huge MADE IN CHINA sticker on them. Carhartt's clothing seem to be more fashion orientated theses day. Giant CARHARTT lettering on stuff and the quality unfortunately has gone down big time. Its not work wear anymore if you ask me. Its over priced, "hey I'm cool because I wear carhartt stuff these days."

93Chevy
10-22-2010, 10:21 PM
Its not work wear anymore if you ask me. Its over priced, "hey I'm cool because I wear carhartt stuff these days."

Dude, thank you. I saw kids all the time at college wearing Carhartt. They were big phonies. Talk crap all day long, but when push came to shove, they'd be crying if they got blood on their hands.

shooterm
10-22-2010, 11:52 PM
I could careless if its a college fad thats from ten years ago they still make good boots. Its alright go to walmart and kill your dawgs.

PlantscapeSolutions
10-23-2010, 02:29 AM
A former worker of mine swears by Danners.

I never had Danners when I was was stationed in Germany but I have them now. Try the Danner 452's they have a hard rubber layer over the toe of the boot. It helps keep you from damaging the leather. The soles seem to wear a long time. Washing your boots a few times a year and using mink oil can help extend the life of the boots a lot.

Here in Texas the 100 F heat can dry out the leather. The mink oil can help keep the leather conditioned and soft. The salt from sweating feet can also take a toll on boots. Washing boots a few times a year can remove the salt build up.

I lived in Maine in L.L. Bean country for 19 years but now I'm in Buda, TX down the road from a Cabela's. Beans has insane quality standards but I just can't buy boots mail order without trying them on first. I like Academy Sports as well but I couldn't find any boots that held up.

DQL10
10-23-2010, 02:40 AM
To the OP, Redwings all the way. Have 3 pairs and am going to buy my 4th pair before winter. They are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn. They are pricey but worth every penny. They have the best customer service out there. I still have my first pair I bought about 4 years ago. Had a leak in them last winter, they fixed them for me in about a day so I could have them back for snow plowing. I ended up buying another pair while I was their and do not regret it one bit. These are the first ones I bought and still wear them. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1757. Then bought these gore tex ones and are the best ones they make in my opinion. Expensive as all get out but well worth it. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdetails.aspx?prodid=1177. I also have a pair of nice pull ons that I hardly wear only because I dont want to mess them up. I would definetly consider Red Wings hands down.

JDKSERVLLC
10-23-2010, 09:46 PM
I've had the best success with the Timberland Chocorua Trail GTX Hiking Boot. It's sold at Dicks Sporting goods for under $100 and very comfortable. Here's the discription of the boot from their web site and the link.

Crafted with a full-grain leather upper that's protected by a GORE-TEX® waterproof membrane, the Timberland® Chocorua men's hiking boot is an ideal fit for your outdoor adventures. The dual-density EVA footbed provides lightweight cushioning, and a textile lining offers exceptional moisture absorption. The rubber outsole is designed to provide great grip on tricky terrain.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3905296&cp=2367438.2367454.2866814.2866815

Best of luck!!

LibertyFarmLandscaping
10-27-2010, 06:39 AM
Ariat lace ups.

I'll second the Ariat lace ups. Had a pair that finally bit the dust a few weeks ago after 2 years. Replaced them with another pair, comfortable right out of the box.

anti-flag39
10-28-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.stihlusa.com/apparel/lawngrips.html

I have about 10 guys running these and so far so good

stan the man
10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
ll beans hiking boots all i wear

lawnprosteveo
11-12-2010, 05:58 PM
Ive spent the big bucks on Danners. They are good boots. Ive never had RedWings but they are expensive. Ive been buying Timberland or Timberland Pro. They are inexpensive compared to the other brands, water proof, very comfortable, and they last a couple of years or so.

mouse
11-18-2010, 02:57 PM
I've been using Red Wings for several years now I have 2 pair and switch them out every other day. I prefer the 608 style which are made in the USA, which also is important to me.

Green Industry Pro
11-26-2010, 12:01 AM
Spring 2008 I bought a pair of Chippewa Loggers "waterproof" for $220. Their chip-a-tex waterproofing didn't last and online store wouldn't return them because I used them. Haven't bought another pair.

Fall 2008 I bought a pair of Cabelas gore-tex loggers. Held up over a winter, and a full summer, and sarted leaking January 2010.

January 2010 I bought a pair of Wolverine gore-tex lacers. Within 2 months, the sole started to "chip." The leaked. Gore-tex replaced the boots for free. They were comfortable boots, and attractive, so I figured I'd use them for casual wear instead of my cowboy boots.

May 2010 I bought a pair of discontinued Wolverine gore-tex boots for a good price. Not very comfortable, however.

July 2010 I bought a pair of Cabelas gore-tex Wellingtons. Comfortable and very waterproof, but the sole isn't holding up well.

I think next spring I'll be looking for another gore-tex wellington or logger from another manufacturer.

Thank you.

"real trucks require ladders for scraping windshields" amen!

PLS-Tx
11-26-2010, 01:19 AM
http://www.danner.com/boots/desert-tfxr-rough-out-hot-military-boots.html

Does anyone have these Danner boots? They look like they would be comfortable and they have good reviews.

I have Redwings now and they have been great but it's time for some new boots. I have bad feet so I need the best pair I can get.

steveo95
11-26-2010, 01:28 PM
http://www.chippewaboots.com/boots/iq/55168

best $150 I have ever spent....lasted 2 years of everyday wearing so far and very comfortable and durable.
on a side note I had a pair of dickies - the $70 dollar ones and they were very uncomfortable.

copicut
11-26-2010, 06:06 PM

redwings is the #1 boot out there, ive tried them all

RGM
11-26-2010, 06:17 PM
I like the redwings too but they are a bit pricey for me> for the last 3 years I go to the local Dicks sporting goods in feb and get the clearance hiker its like a high top costs about 60 bucks and gets me through the season get mt new pair the next year save the old pair for real dirty or wet days.

ProMaintenance
12-03-2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.danner.com/boots/desert-tfxr-rough-out-hot-military-boots.html

Does anyone have these Danner boots? They look like they would be comfortable and they have good reviews.

I have Redwings now and they have been great but it's time for some new boots. I have bad feet so I need the best pair I can get.

I had these boots in Iraq and they did not hold up, made it about 4 months, the quality is not the same as the other danner boots i have owned the sides of the boot tore. If your feet can handle the gortex danner is the way to go. The goretex makes my feet sweat bad enough it defeats the purpose, so I use the non water proof carhartt steel toes. I treat them with the danner boot care product and they stay water proof enough.

pjlandscapes
12-04-2010, 04:46 PM
i like my carhartts.. i may be wrong but i thought red wing made them?

Landscape Poet
12-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Redwings -

Let me tell you about today! I bought a new pair about 4 weeks ago. Being in FL I am still mowing. I have used these on a daily basis since the purchase keep in mind. So today I walk into the Redwing store today to take advantage of the free oil and laces for life. I mention to the clerk that the left shoe was hurting my left big toe, not really hurting it but making it uncomfortable. The clerk asked me to let her measure my feet again - I was a 14 not a 13 like I thought. The clerk went to the back room and got a pair of 14's . put them on my feet -asked if they felt better. I of course said they did.

The clerk did a exchange and I walked out with a brand new pair - no questions asked, no hassles.

They will get my business for the future as far as I can see.

8rickyj
12-24-2010, 11:48 AM
When i was a carpenter I wore the Diehard from sears. They are comfortable as hell and if they come apart they are guarentee. I am getting those this year. I gotta get rid of the tennis shoes!