PDA

View Full Version : More Power!

mdb landscaping
08-15-2002, 06:16 PM
Anybody ever put any mods on their newer chevies or fords? I just ordered the banks monster exhaust, K&N intake and PE Juice for my 2002 2500HD duramax. Anybody else put any of these mods on before, or have any comments about them?

rkbrown
08-16-2002, 10:11 AM
Which K&N ? I'm looking at the FIPK. I have heard good things about the Banks monster exhaust.

mdb landscaping
08-16-2002, 05:18 PM
Yes, im putting in the fipk kit. ive only heard good things about the banks too, so wish me luck lol.

Brickman
08-17-2002, 04:01 AM
I power chipped my truck to 75 HP over factory. Runs awesome. I looked at the Banks kits and could not see how spending over $3K was going to help all that much. That was for the PS. Dunno price on GM products.

From what I have heard and read going with bigger than factory exhaust pretty much only reduces EGTs. Doesn't really help power. Now a bigger turbo that would make more HP.

captdevo
08-17-2002, 07:26 AM
i've inquired about the banks also and was told it wouldn't make any differance, that when gm spec the duramax, the stock exhaust was ideally suited for it.

i am interested in a chip, kinda waiting for the prices to drop.

what's an fipk kit?...i'm missing something...

where's the best price you've found for them and the k&n filters?

i've just turned 12k miles on mine,i think it is just starting to break in.

i'm averaging 16 - 19mpg...with or without my 20' enclosed trailer!

i'm hoping to enter it in a truck pull today if i can leave work soon enough!

mdb landscaping
08-17-2002, 12:17 PM
The K&N kit is a new box with K&N filter and intake that replaces the whole stock intake. I got it for $275 installed. The banks exhaust supposedly gives you 30 hp on a duramax. I wasnt really worried about the exhaust giving me more power, because the "Juice" gives me that. I needed to make the exhaust flow better and it will sound a lot better. I got all this at
www.jannettyracing.com

Its getting installed on sept. 16th. ill let you know how it works out.

bob
08-18-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
The K&N kit is a new box with K&N filter and intake that replaces the whole stock intake. I got it for $275 installed.

I found this for $221, ( http://www.usdieselparts.com/chevy.htm ) , is it a good upgrade?

mdb landscaping
08-18-2002, 10:07 PM
The price is good. Thats the same intake im getting. the reason im getting the intake is to cool the engine off a little more and take in the extra air, since i will be running the "juice" and the free flowing exhaust. Im not sure exactly what hp gain you get with the intake, but i think its around 15-18 hp.

MacLawnCo
10-13-2002, 11:59 PM
How did the mods work out. Im curios to know.

ProSeasons
10-29-2002, 03:22 AM
The King of the power upgrades is the Dodge Cummins. You can double the HP just by throwing a switch on a 24 valve.

The 5.9 liter Cummins in the Schied Diesel Black Dodge Pulling Truck is making 1000 horsepower and over 2000 pound feet of torque with 192 psi of boost from it's three water injected turbochargers. It's a 12 valve mechanical P-7100 1997 model, though:dizzy:

mdb landscaping
10-29-2002, 09:42 AM
the mods worked out really well. i cant beleive how much power i have now. im going to have to unplug the computer in the winter for plowing, because i dont know how i could plow with all that power. So far ive smoked a ford powerstroke f350 with an exhaust intake and chip. i also beat on a little vr6 volkswagen gti. Now all i need is for brickman to come up here so i can out race and out tow him:D

Brickman
10-29-2002, 10:24 AM
Out race sure, you got a juicer trans. I got a stick, ya lose a bunch of time shifting.

Out tow, I doubt it. They sure arn't any around here willing to try it.

I totally smashed a Didge sunday, and he had a head start on me.

mdb landscaping
10-29-2002, 04:13 PM
lol. i rather lose to a dodge than to a ford.

Brickman
10-29-2002, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by mdb landscaping
lol. i rather lose to a dodge than to a ford.

I know why too, you would have to eat less words with the Dodge. :D :D

jsr2741
10-29-2002, 06:46 PM
You guys need to look into the aFe mega cannon. I just got mine today from Mr. Bobs Distributing for $249 shipped, thats with the pre-filter and restore kit. Right now its the highest flowing filter on the market. You can see it at www.afefiters.com.

If your semi mechanically inclined it'll take you about a half hour to put it on. At least on a Ram.

Steve

XH2Oskier
11-21-2002, 12:31 AM
Higher flowing filters do let more oxygen in, but they also let more of everything else in. Before you start adding up the horsepower numbers on the boxes of stuff you bought, do a baseline run on a chassis dyno and another after the modifications. The results you get on a chassis dyno may also help you calibrate your SOTP dyno. To find a chassis dyno near you, go to http://www.dynojet.com/lauto.shtml

Chances are, a shop that has a chassis dyno will also be able to suggest modifications that make sense for your application and will maximize your bang for the buck.