PDA

View Full Version : AOLP/CLVLT Certification

AOLP
10-15-2010, 12:24 PM
Earning your Certified Low Voltage Lighting Technician (CLVLT) certification gives a huge boost to both your lighting knowledge and your business. Members of AOLP (Assoc. of Outdoor Lighting Professionals) can take the exam at the annual conference. Once you sign up a Study Guide will be sent to you. The exam covers material in the Study Guide, but your own hands-on experience in low voltage lighting will help, too.

The test is comprised of two halves: a written section and a hands-on section. The written portion is one hour in length and 180 multiple choice questions. The hands-on portions are each 30 minutes in length and are made up of seven categories: Design, Installation, Maintenance, Transformers, Troubleshooting, Voltage Drop and Lamps. If you have any questions about the Study Guide or exam, please donít hesitate to send us a message. We encourage everyone to get involved and create small study groups, too, so you can work together in studying the material and preparing for the test.

Call AOLP at 717-238-2504 or visit www.aolponline.org for more information and to register for the exam. Once you register, you will be sent the 2011 Study Guide. Every question on the test is taken from the Study Guide, but it is definitely a test that you will want to prepare for in advance. The cost for the exam is $385 for AOLP members, and the registration deadline is December 31, 2010.

AOLP
10-20-2010, 01:05 PM
There is a maximum # of people that can take the test at the conference in Phoenix Feb. 2nd 2011. We have 16 spots left as of today. Don't forget there is the conference that follows the 3rd-5th.

Viewpoint
10-31-2010, 08:08 PM
Just curious if anyone on here is planning on attending the conference to take the CLVLT. How important is the CLVLT in your decision to attend the conference? It was the main reason I went last year (along with COLD program), and glad I did. I got a lot more out of the conference than a CLVLT designation though! I'm now on 2 committees at the national level and President of the California Chapter of the AOLP. Never thought I'd get all that out of it!

niteliters
11-01-2010, 12:51 PM
as i said in another thread, the company i work for is sending 2. Having taken and passed the test a number of years ago, I can say it's helped our business, but only because I have promoted it....as it is with most accreditations. There might be others that say they have some other type of lighting certification but the AOLP (clvlt) ranks in the top 5. It's not a gimmie, one has to study to pass :)

niteliters
11-06-2010, 12:12 PM
Fyi...just Had a potential client tell me couple of days ago that she appreciated the fact that we were certified and working on a design certification. The other company bidding had no non affiliated certification she said. First of all, i was surprised that thye paid attention to that, secondly, the fact that they had to look up the AOLP and research it was suprising. The next day, I shared with another potential client that i had my clvlt. started a conversation, a look at AOLP website...ended up only helping my credibilty. Work the time studying for that test :)

niteliters
11-06-2010, 12:13 PM
mistake..other bidder had a certifiaction that was from manu which the client fund suspect. appreciated that clvlt was fron non-profit, non affiliated org.