PDA

View Full Version : Season over...Finally..!

Turf Commando
10-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Did my last accounts yesterday done mowing, now comes mower maintenance..
Also getting plows ready inbetween leaf- clean-up, hope everyone has a great fall/winter..!

Puddle of Oil
10-15-2010, 08:27 PM
Your done already!? I've got about a month to go!
Posted via Mobile Device

Sammy
10-15-2010, 09:18 PM
Must be a short season in "Makes Me Wonder" land.

Runner
10-15-2010, 10:14 PM
How could you be done when the grass is growing to beat the band right now? The soil and ambient air temps are so warm right now, that we'll have SEVERAL cuts left. It isn't even close to being done.

Turf Commando
10-16-2010, 11:01 AM
Most of my accounts have gone dormant, the others only want it mowed every 2 weeks ......

DitchDr
10-16-2010, 01:03 PM
If the air temps and rain keep up I will be mowing on Christmas eve. Makes clean up easier tho lol

Runner
10-16-2010, 08:48 PM
Dormant???? Where are you? How could they have possibly gone dormant? I don't care if they are cut down to 1 1/2", the grass is still growing.. Even lawns that have patches of warm season grasses, such as bahia and bentgrass, though they are lightening in color, are still growing.

yardguy28
10-16-2010, 08:58 PM
i agree with what everyone else is saying. grass is still growing for most propertys. i have some that usually are completely done by the end of october. they have no trees on there property and neither do the neighbors so fall clean up is not an option. but the rest are still growing and shedding leaves like crazy.

i usually work up until the last day of november.

93Chevy
10-16-2010, 09:12 PM
Yeah, I usually finish mowing middle of November, but I still put the mowers on the lawns until December, or later if get a call, for fall cleanups.

Grass keeps growing through November here. Thank God.

Turf Commando
10-16-2010, 09:24 PM
Dormant???? Where are you? How could they have possibly gone dormant? I don't care if they are cut down to 1 1/2", the grass is still growing.. Even lawns that have patches of warm season grasses, such as bahia and bentgrass, though they are lightening in color, are still growing.

I'm in the southwest of MI.. I can't explain how they went dormant, maybe those cold days we had and lack of rain opted early retirement..
Cut my last lawns down to 2 '' and it's not growing back anytime soon, my clients care more now about leaf clean-up then anything ..

Last year I mowed until the end of October, not this time...

grassman177
10-16-2010, 11:33 PM
that is sad. we are fully green and no sign of slowing down except from drought again if it does not rain some more. we mow right up till december, including leaves, which we are inherently cutting grass at the same time

Darryl G
10-16-2010, 11:43 PM
My mowing season technically ends Oct. 15th, so mine is over too. I will continue to service properties, but on a lot of them it becomes more about leaves than mowing, so I go to a straight hourly billing for any mowings after the official close of my mowing season. If leaves are minimal and it doesn't really take me a signficantly longer to mow it, I'll just bill their normal price. So it really boils down to me reserving the right to bill hourly after Oct. 15th.

bare spot
10-17-2010, 12:49 AM
rember finishing last yr, next day was doing snow removal, year before don't think i even got finish and was doing snow removal (came back to frozen leaves). this yr idk, if the work (clean-up, othre etc.) takes me up until snow coming, will be good, still a lot of leaves on the trees around here.

cmos123
10-17-2010, 02:39 AM
I am pretty much done for the season as well. And there is no snow, and not a whole lot of leaves. Does the snow and leaves produce a lot of work in the fall and winter up north?

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
yeah, I have another month, almost 2 weeks of rain after not raining really for 2 months has the grass shooting up, and the leaves are just starting to fall. Leaf cleanup is good padding for the winter months. Now if it can stop drizzling randomly and the wind can chill out I'll be in better shape.

sweatyclippingcoveredguy
10-18-2010, 03:22 PM
rember finishing last yr, next day was doing snow removal, year before don't think i even got finish and was doing snow removal (came back to frozen leaves). this yr idk, if the work (clean-up, othre etc.) takes me up until snow coming, will be good, still a lot of leaves on the trees around here.

Yeah, that sucked two seasons ago, didn't get all my cleanups done before the snow, hell don't even think the leaves were done falling.

bare spot
10-18-2010, 09:07 PM
Yeah, that sucked two seasons ago, didn't get all my cleanups done before the snow, hell don't even think the leaves were done falling.

up the pike from ya (think of hawk mt down your way, appalachian trail cuts through it, use to go their, birds migrate through that area bout this time of yr, nice area) but finally got some rain the last few wks, dry summer, feast or famine today, someone mentioned today. rain last few wks, think it brought us close to avg., is good to see the yds respond to it. feel the leaves coming down heavy, very soon.

Chilehead
10-18-2010, 10:42 PM
If this La Nina pattern holds, I'll be cutting through Thanksgiving. Yeah, baby!!payuppayuppayuppayuppayup