PDA

View Full Version : Fall Sodding; looking for tips and suggestions

andyslawncare
10-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Fall Sod Installation

Use starter fert or no?---what numbers?

How frequent to water?

Use preemergence or post emergence between now and spring?

What potential problems should I scout for between now and spring?

I appreciate any comments on installing sod during the Fall.

andyslawncare
10-19-2010, 02:19 AM
70+ views, and no comment! Any comments? Anyone???

dweav44
10-19-2010, 07:35 PM
I wouldn't use any fertilizer going into the winter on fresh sod. No real need.
I also wouldn't be concerned about pre-emergent right now and just treat for post when they apear. Because they will.

I would start the chemical aps early next year.(pre-emerge and fert.(Milorganite) in late winter to get a head start for spring)

You won't need to water much at all going into fall and winter.

Where are you located?
What sod type?

Daniel

andyslawncare
10-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Where are you located?
What sod type?

Daniel

I'm in Atlanta, and I'm using Bermuda

dweav44
10-19-2010, 08:31 PM
You can throw out some fertilizer, but again I don't see the need until late winter.

With bermuda you shouldn't have any problems through the winter. Look up 'dollar spot' and 'brown patch' as potential problems in the spring and fall. If you keep you lawn properly watered and fertilzed(not too little or too much) you shouldn't come across many problems with bermuda. Check out the different types of bermuda in your area and pick out a good hybrid.

Daniel

WGrnd21
10-20-2010, 11:14 AM
you are not going to want to sod a warm season grass in late fall. Wait untill the spring. Depending on your last frost free date which you should be aware of, the bermuda will be going dormant on that date. Here in Raleigh NC we are already having nights as low as 45. Warm season turf grass will be slowing growth exponentially. Talk to your sod providers and they will recommend what to do. If you were to lay fescue than go for it. Definatly throw a starter and water in the mornings for 2 weeks. On cool days with winds the sod can dry out in the winter. So watering still will be nesscesary. As far as preemergence you shouldn't ever have to use them if u have a well maintained turf. I have never used a preemergence in my life after installing sod. Its to healthy and outcompetes weed seeds. If you do happen to see some weeds just pull by hand saves the client money and keeps unnessary herbicides out of our water systems.

dwea44, of course there will not be any problems with fungus. What are the environmental factors needed for fungus to thrive?? You should know.

dweav44
10-20-2010, 09:18 PM
you are not going to want to sod a warm season grass in late fall.

If his reputable sod farms are still cutting then why wait? Let those roots tack before winter hits and he will have a head start on spring.

Talk to your sod providers and they will recommend what to do. If you were to lay fescue than go for it.
Well said. Let us know what they say.

Definatly throw a starter and water in the mornings for 2 weeks.
When spring or fall? Way too much water for spring or fall sodding. Wow

On cool days with winds the sod can dry out in the winter. So watering still will be nesscesary.
Our lawns here in Memphis stay wet all winter and I've got to believe it is the same in Atlanta.

As far as preemergence you shouldn't ever have to use them if u have a well maintained turf.
No way. MAAAAAYBE on zoysia, but not bermuda. Dormant grass(not thick) + poa annua = need for preemerge. Not to mention the weed seeds normally come up before the spring gets the grasses out of dormancy also.

dwea44, of course there will not be any problems with fungus. What are the environmental factors needed for fungus to thrive?? You should know.
No fungus at all? What?
Dollar Spot - dry soil and moist surface and plant with temps n the 70 - 80degree range
Brown Patch - wet conditions with excess nitrogen with temp during the day between 75 - 85degrees and nights down to 65degrees.

andyslawncare
10-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Guys, I thank you for the comments, but I have stated I am installing Bermuda sod THIS WEEK! I'm not asking when to install, or what species.

I'll be using a starter fert at a 3/4 rate, roots still need to establish, and the second 2 numbers are needed. I'm also tilling in 40lbs lime per 1,000 sq. ft.

I will look for dollar spot and brown patch, thank you for a direct answer.

I still do not have a direct answer for frequency to water.

I am aware that poa annua is a big problem here. Should I treat it with a liquid/granular pre-emergence now or... Dec? Feb?, or use post emergence later in the season? Or let it grow this year, and handle it next year?

I have never had such a high demand as I have this year, and some true experienced people would be nice to talk to; When I have a demand, I provide a service. I also know that bermuda will do fine with installation any time of the year if its taken care of properly...this is the new question I guess. "Maintenance schedule for fall sodded Bermuda?"
If you would like to talk on the phone for a few minutes, You can reach me at 770-256-8009; this install is actually happening tomorrow. Leave a message, and I'll get back to you if I miss you.

I was really hoping for some better info through members of this forum :(

cpel2004
10-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Guys, I thank you for the comments, but I have stated I am installing Bermuda sod THIS WEEK! I'm not asking when to install, or what species.

I'll be using a starter fert at a 3/4 rate, roots still need to establish, and the second 2 numbers are needed. I'm also tilling in 40lbs lime per 1,000 sq. ft.

I will look for dollar spot and brown patch, thank you for a direct answer.

I am aware that poa annua is a big problem here. Should I treat it with a liquid/granular pre-emergence now or... Dec? Feb?, or use post emergence later in the season? Or let it grow this year, and handle it next year?

I have never had such a high demand as I have this year, and some true experienced people would be nice to talk to; When I have a demand, I provide a service. I also know that bermuda will do fine with installation any time of the year if its taken care of properly...this is the new question I guess. "Maintenance schedule for fall sodded Bermuda?"
If you would like to talk on the phone for a few minutes, You can reach me at 770-256-8009; this install is actually happening tomorrow. Leave a message, and I'll get back to you if I miss you.

I was really hoping for some better info through members of this forum :(

Its official you are a idiot, congrats! Why ask for advice in the first place, Smartone! No one will ever help you in life or on this forum with your pubescent, pompous attitude. Learn some manners! Maybe you should've asked your Daddy first. :nono:

dweav44
10-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Guys, I thank you for the comments, but I have stated I am installing Bermuda sod THIS WEEK!

Where did you state that?

There is no 'right' answer. It depends on your environment, soil, exposure...
If this is for a customer just tell them to monitor it.

Don't worry about it this year. Some will pop up, but not much.

When I have a demand, I provide a service.

This will get you burned. Try to expand your services, but ONLY if you know your stuff. 1 or 2 bad jobs and it won't be good for you.

You need to calm down. Your are installing sod(bermuda at that). Just make sure you have a smooth grade, lay the stuff, and water heavy right after. That is it. All this other stuff is extra and sometimes overkill. You are obviously young and inexperienced. You need to accept all the help you can get. Sift out the crap and take the good.

How much per sq ft or yard are you getting?

andyslawncare
10-22-2010, 12:55 AM
Its official you are a idiot, congrats! Why ask for advice in the first place, Smartone! No one will ever help you in life or on this forum with your pubescent, pompous attitude. Learn some manners! Maybe you should've asked your Daddy first. :nono:

Thanks for the a$$hole remark :)

Although I didn't pose any attitude in this thread (until now), I simply thanked those who answered questions, and redirected future readers towards the information I do not know yet...I also provided a contact number in case anyone wanted to be friendly and talk about what they love to do (I would call someone to talk about a problem or a question if it were something that I excel in), since we probably have a lot in common. Was this forum created for people to exchange information, or was it created for people to be angry and slap down anything that a young man wants to learn? Again, thanks for your stupid remark and waste of lawn site's server space; but I do believe I'll call one of my professor's tomorrow for advise that probably 2% of the people on this site would be able to match in terms of experience.

Again, thank you to those who helped answer a few of my questions; I really appreciate any advice, except for the last comment. This won't be the last time you see my user name post in this forum, so get use to me if you have a problem with me; If the problem is so severe that you don't have any thing helpful or humorous to say, please just overlook me and don't waste your time.

Why comment if you are simply going to put down someone for wanting to learn even more information than is covered in the college class room? In school, we learned about prime establishment, no so much establishment as the grass is slowing down every day (fall)...thus, I asked simple questions to people on this site.

Many times, experience in the field is more important than formal education; I do respect anyone who is running a successful business that has not been formally educated in the field, and by all means I would never mean to be rude or use a strong attitude towards anyone...until comments like this come back to serious and very to-the-point questions.

What would my 'Daddy' have told me? My father is an industrial engineer (specializing in Lean Enterprise and Process Improvement), he is a real estate agent, and he does not know much about horticulture; yet he has saved Delta airlines countless dollars (millions per year), and he also saves our landscaping business several thousand per year by being on board with me).

Shall I say, I am 22 years old; I have $80,000 worth of paid off machines and equipment, so thank you for your comment once more...I am still growing my mind of useful information, and I will until I die. If you have a problem with something I say, don't respond and read the next persons post...most likely you will come across someone who doesn't do or know some of things that I do and know.

This will be the last of negativity I post in this thread.

andyslawncare
10-22-2010, 01:02 AM
Where did you state that?

There is no 'right' answer. It depends on your environment, soil, exposure...
If this is for a customer just tell them to monitor it.

Don't worry about it this year. Some will pop up, but not much.

This will get you burned. Try to expand your services, but ONLY if you know your stuff. 1 or 2 bad jobs and it won't be good for you.

You need to calm down. Your are installing sod(bermuda at that). Just make sure you have a smooth grade, lay the stuff, and water heavy right after. That is it. All this other stuff is extra and sometimes overkill. You are obviously young and inexperienced. You need to accept all the help you can get. Sift out the crap and take the good.

How much per sq ft or yard are you getting?

The comment after your comment (from me) is not towards you...It is the one before yours. Yours came through while I was typing.
I'm doing 10080 sq. ft. (20 pallets) with boxer 526 and sod installer attachment. 21'' by 100' rolls and 4 pallets of squares for floating.

Thank you for a serious answer; I appreciate it.

andyslawncare
10-22-2010, 02:14 AM
My crew and I have laid several hundred pallets of sod up until this point, just never during the fall. I am young, yet I'm not an armature nor am I ignorant towards what grass needs during times of active growth; nor do I have intentions of provoking anyone... Just want to make this clear.

If you sell a job, and its needed asap, would you sell the job and explain dangers, or would you.... do something else? I know I've freaked out too much on this job, as I have a very clear contract to protect me, yet I am curious to what others are doing in my position.

rob7233
11-17-2010, 09:42 AM
Andy,

I won't begin to attempt to advise you of sod or the particuliars of a fall sod install in your zone. Here in Central Florida 9B(metro Orlando) it is a great time for new sod since there is less pest and disease pressure and the lower temps require less water to get the sod quickly established. Unfortunately, most folks think that during our very hot, humid and wet summers are ideal(very wrong) since they'll have to use less supplemental irrigation.

The one thing I will give you is on the use of pre-emergents. Don't use it at any time during sod establishment. Remember, what it does is inhibits seed germination and will definitely slow and stunt root growth and formation and interfere with establishment. We don't generally sod here in Dec or Jan but I personally wait till at least Valentine's day or preferrably March 1st, depending on weather conditions.

The use of preemergents at a sod install is another example of commonly excepted bad info and a lack of education in this field. Not to mention here in FL it is illegal except for a PCO. But they would already know better. It's sort of why people murder the Crepe Myrtles. Ever ask why are they cut them down so severely? The answers can be quite entertaining...

The thing is though -"People don't know what it is they don't know."
Good luck.