PDA

View Full Version : 35 trees removed...HELP

ONEBLADE
10-17-2010, 12:04 PM
I have a commercial customer that needs about 35 trees removed from the property. I have removed trees in the past usually priced at about 250 per tree. I'm pretty stumped:confused: on how to bid this. The tree size ranges from a base of probably 6 inches all the way to about 30 inches. They also want the stumps removed. I called my insurance company and am going to get another policy for doing this if anyone was wondering. I need a little bidding help

cpel2004
10-17-2010, 12:17 PM
Dude this is easy. I will be more than happy to help. First what type of equipment do you have, ie stump grinder( what model, capacity of truck, etc) Since you dont have alot of trees, figure tree cost individually, are you going to be responsible for damaged grounds and the sprinkler system?

ONEBLADE
10-17-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm going to have to rent the stump grinder. I have 3 chainsaws one 18" and two 20". I have a flatbed trailer and a landscape trailer. a tractor with a front end loader and boxblade. and I will probably rent a wood chipper but the biggest they have is a 4"

Darryl G
10-17-2010, 12:26 PM
I would sub it out or just refer it. If you're stumped on how to bid it, my guess is you'd be even more stumped on how to actually get it done.

P.S. - I'd make sure no local ordinances are being violated first. Someone did that sort of thing in the next town over from me...cut down a ton of trees and got fined big time.

ONEBLADE
10-17-2010, 12:27 PM
the place i'm cleaning up is in and around a creek. They are having water flow issues

Darryl G
10-17-2010, 12:30 PM
Then I'd certainly check...don't wanna be violating any inland wetlands regulations. Here it's regulated 100 feet from any wetlands.

Runner
10-17-2010, 03:53 PM
This is easy. Call 3 reputable licensed tree services and get estimates. Take the lowest bid to do everything and add 10%. Submit the bid. Have the service do the job, and bill the client. You made a pretty good take, the job was done right, and your time was spent out making money with something else.

yardatwork
10-17-2010, 04:19 PM
Heck...35 trees...that company could probably get a small logging company to come in and PAY THEM for the trees. If you have Amish around...they would pay to take the cut and take the trees. That would suck for you, but I don't think this company thought out all of their options!

knox gsl
10-17-2010, 04:23 PM
This is easy. Call 3 reputable licensed tree services and get estimates. Take the lowest bid to do everything and add 10%. Submit the bid. Have the service do the job, and bill the client. You made a pretty good take, the job was done right, and your time was spent out making money with something else.

I agree with this post, it will also keep you from buying more insurance and dealing with small rental equipment. You may want to get a quote from the tree companies of you doing all the hauling of the heavy trunks and they chip anything under 10 inches. This will help the bottom line if you have the loaders and trailers free. The biggest thing is to have someone else take on the liability of dropping the trees and majority of the labor intensive cleanup. I would do all my own stump grinding and just rent the biggest grinder I could find. I hope this helps.

shooterm
10-17-2010, 06:43 PM
If there having a water problem in and around the creek that might just be the only things holding that bank together. Also any sort of work around the creek means a operation will require floating silt curtains. Alot of times customers know this and try passing the buck on a new contractor hoping it gets done. Good luck though you'll certainly have a idea how to bid this job when all said and done.

clydebusa
10-17-2010, 06:59 PM
I'm going to have to rent the stump grinder. I have 3 chainsaws one 18" and two 20". I have a flatbed trailer and a landscape trailer. a tractor with a front end loader and boxblade. and I will probably rent a wood chipper but the biggest they have is a 4"

Bloss on mingo and 51st have a 6" that can take a 7 or 8" if the wood is freshly cutt.

Darryl G
10-17-2010, 07:37 PM
Doesn't anyone else see a problem with him doing this around a creek? Around here that's a regulated area...can't just go running heavy equipment and cutting down trees there.

Big Bad Bob
10-17-2010, 08:30 PM
Doesn't anyone else see a problem with him doing this around a creek? Around here that's a regulated area...can't just go running heavy equipment and cutting down trees there.

Maybe he doesn't care. And maybe the property owner doesn't care. :confused:
You are right. The regulations need to be checked on and observed. Subbing it out seems like a good idea at this point. And if the property owner IS trying to pass the buck, he can get someone else to stick their neck out.
I've come across stuff like this where the property owner found out they had to follow some kind of reg that made the project cost more and was shopping around for someone to do it cheaper and to take the risk of getting fined.

ajslands
10-17-2010, 09:43 PM
i have a commercial customer that needs about 35 trees removed from the property. I have removed trees in the past usually priced at about 250 per tree. I'm pretty stumped:confused: On how to bid this. The tree size ranges from a base of probably 6 inches all the way to about 30 inches. They also want the stumps removed. I called my insurance company and am going to get another policy for doing this if anyone was wondering. I need a little bidding help
no pun intended!

godzilla
10-18-2010, 11:08 AM
I'd like to ask something here, and I hope I don't sound too silly. Why are you going to even put in a bid on a job like this when it's not something that you do?

From what I can tell, you will need to invest in the following to do the job:
expensive insurance policies
bigger saws (can cost up to, and over $1,000 each)
Renting a SMALL chipper for a few days
Ropes and misc gear.

Honestly, what are you going to make at the end of this job? At the end of this, are you in a position to take on more work (do you have the working knowledge?) If I was you I'd let the land owner get somebody, maybe make a recommendation yourself if you know somebody good. If you want to make some money off of it, get your tractor over there for the firewood.

land_scaper70
10-18-2010, 01:19 PM
I'd like to ask something here, and I hope I don't sound too silly. Why are you going to even put in a bid on a job like this when it's not something that you do?

From what I can tell, you will need to invest in the following to do the job:
expensive insurance policies
bigger saws (can cost up to, and over $1,000 each)
Renting a SMALL chipper for a few days
Ropes and misc gear.

Honestly, what are you going to make at the end of this job? At the end of this, are you in a position to take on more work (do you have the working knowledge?) If I was you I'd let the land owner get somebody, maybe make a recommendation yourself if you know somebody good. If you want to make some money off of it, get your tractor over there for the firewood.

From what I can tell he is right. Make your money on the fire wood. Runner has the right idea, get estimates and sub it out at 10%, just need a certificate of insurance.

coolluv
10-18-2010, 02:12 PM
Stream buffers, Army Corp of Engineers = big fines

Dave...