PDA

View Full Version : Should I see a change? Natures lawn?

Field of Dreams LC
10-18-2010, 09:53 PM
Well I wanted to try this out on my yard before I started selling it to customers. Well I sprayed my front yard which is 5,000 sq ft on Thursday afternoon. I used Aerify Plus and the Bio Enhanced fertilizer. We have not had much rain around here lately so my yard was starting to lightly brown. So I was expecting to see some greening up a couple of days after the application...but here we are 5 days after the application and it still looks the same as it did before applied it to my yard.

I applied aerify plus at 4 oz per 1000 sq ft.
the bio enhanced fert at 10 oz per 1000 sq ft.

Is this normal? or should I be seeing some results? Or am I needing something else to go along with this mixture?

roccon31
10-19-2010, 08:52 AM
dont get sucked into the hype of organic remedies. they for the most part DO work, but its not an immediate "fert" type response. you probably WILL NOT see any immediate response at all. what you WILL see, is a consistently greener lawn for longer periods during stress times (drought, too wet, etc).

i used to expect the same thing, the old "spray this on and it will turn green and stay that way" routine, but it simply hasnt been my experience. drive through a development during stress times though, and you will see a difference.

OrganicsMaine
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
No matter what you put down, if the lawn is browning due to lack of water, then fertilizer or any other application won't help it. You need to water it too.

ICT Bill
10-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Well I wanted to try this out on my yard before I started selling it to customers. Well I sprayed my front yard which is 5,000 sq ft on Thursday afternoon. I used Aerify Plus and the Bio Enhanced fertilizer. We have not had much rain around here lately so my yard was starting to lightly brown. So I was expecting to see some greening up a couple of days after the application...but here we are 5 days after the application and it still looks the same as it did before applied it to my yard.

I applied aerify plus at 4 oz per 1000 sq ft.
the bio enhanced fert at 10 oz per 1000 sq ft.

Is this normal? or should I be seeing some results? Or am I needing something else to go along with this mixture?

I have never used either product so I can't speak to efficacy

often when plants or the soil have enough or don't lack for a nutrient the application of more does not show up in the plant

I watched some trials a couple of years ago near Chicago with a national franchise, they applied 2 differnt types of compost at 1/8, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 inch on 10x10 squares to see which compost made the most diffenece and at what appplication rate. That fall and the next spring you could not tell the difference between any of them. When we looked back at the soil test the SOM was already at 9 so the addition of more organic matter didn't make much of a difference

I would assume a product called aerify would need to be watered in to be effective, it is probably even better if the soil is moist beforehand

what is the NPK of the bio-fert? Do they claim micronutrients? What kind of soil are you in? What kind of turf?

you may find proper water timing may have more effect than the app's you applied

Field of Dreams LC
10-19-2010, 11:08 AM
ITC....You are correct the product does need to be watered in. I watered it in and then I watered the following day as well. The fertilizer that is applied is a 16-4-8 fert.... I live in Southeast texas on the coast so our the ground is a hard clay mixture that can be hard as a rock. The typical grass type is St. Augustine. I know I have a few spots in the yard that have some very compacted soil and weeds have started popping up in those areas so I figured this might be a good opertunity to use the Aerify plus... Like I said I may be wrong in thinking I should see some kind of results...But I was sure hoping to see some results...

ICT Bill
10-19-2010, 11:15 AM
St Augustine loves N, it should have responded to a liquid application pretty quickly, 3 to 5 days I would think. Is the N slow release, if so what percentage

have you taken a rod of some kind and checked to see if the compaction has subsided any

Granular chemicals take 7 days to 2 weeks to show a difference, liquids should show up quicker than that

treegal1
10-19-2010, 07:52 PM
ok JMO to little anything to see, well anything. Bill .64 oz N per K is not but a drop in the bucket.....................

ICT Bill
10-19-2010, 09:03 PM
more than a half a pound of N per 1000 should have showed some response

our tea is less than that much for the YEAR and a have a good to great response from st augustine

Field of Dreams LC
10-19-2010, 11:34 PM
I also put down an application on my parents yard on Sunday...I'm going to swing by tomorrow and see if I can notice any results over there....If i don't is it possible to have gotten a bad batch??