PDA

View Full Version : forward nozzle angle / nozzle height

Hogjaw
10-18-2010, 09:55 PM
have noticed some nozzles (ground side) are tilted forward, maybe 25 to 35 degrees and boom height is around 12". Coverage looks ideal.

Know some droplets are quick to fall immediately straight down in stream.

Guess this is where the formula A sq + B sq = C sq might come in handy!
A sq equals boom height
B sq equals distance where majority of droplets land in the forward direction (substituting nozzle manufacturer's recommended nozzle height)

Is this too far fetched?

Reason interested is two fold - better coverage of target and drift reduction.

We are in flat country here.

Any constructive comments on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Ric
10-19-2010, 12:20 AM
have noticed some nozzles (ground side) are tilted forward, maybe 25 to 35 degrees and boom height is around 12". Coverage looks ideal.

Know some droplets are quick to fall immediately straight down in stream.

Guess this is where the formula A sq + B sq = C sq might come in handy!
A sq equals boom height
B sq equals distance where majority of droplets land in the forward direction (substituting nozzle manufacturer's recommended nozzle height)

Is this too far fetched?

Reason interested is two fold - better coverage of target and drift reduction.

We are in flat country here.

Any constructive comments on how to accomplish this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hogjaw

You seem to have the right idea.

C sq Becomes the effective Boom height because it is the Distance the spray travels. A is the 12 inches of ground height of the Nozzles. But because the nozzles are pointed B inches forward C becomes the actual distance of spray from nozzle to ground target. The forward angle is actually used to tweak the boom into a perfect Spray pattern. Most booms are made with some type of adjustable Nozzle clamp so the nozzles can moved Right or left, in or out a small distance for Tweaking the spray pattern.

Tee Jet Flat Fan Nozzles come in 3 angle widths. the 110 degree angle is designed to over lap. The 95 and 80 degree fans are designed not to over lap and distribute the spray equally along that 80 or 95 degree band from the nozzle.

I recently made a boom sprayer that was attached to the top on my mower deck or about 6 inches above the ground. I cut out paper at 80 Degrees and more or less made a template out of paper representing the spray width and nozzle placement. Knowing the width of spray and the ground speed of the mower I was able select the correct size nozzle to meet the desired calibration I wanted. Boom set up and Calibration isn't rocket science just common sense and a little arithmetic

Hogjaw
10-19-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks Ric for response.

Jimmy